The worlds tightest wrist flexors?

Yeah I am not even close… I can touch my finger tips together but they are pointing to my spine and not to the sky.

-Dave

I can do it with little trouble. However, holding that position really starts to hurt my shoulders.

Im curious about the validity of this test. Im not saying that it is not valid but where can I find some research on this type of “screen”.

I noticed that the picture of the individual that was able to perform this test was female, but in the other picture of the person that could not perform the movement was male.

Im not sure thats a fair or accurate comparison.

There’s no research on this type of “screen”, that’s why I wrote about it. The proof is related to my experiences with trainees. Those who are able to achieve the correct position have greater strength-training success with shoulder and forearm training.
Yes, females are generally more flexible than males, but the ideal position still needs to be achieved by males. All of my male clients can easily achieve the ideal position. Gender has nothing to do with this test.

Well from your experience can you post some numbers that show a significant increase in forearm/shoulder strength because of their new found range of motion, and not because of other training that you might have them doing?

I can get into the position, but the tightness is obvious. I’m looking forward to seeing if regular stretching this way can improve my grip strength.

GG1, why do you care so much? Stop wasting time and see if it works for you.

I don’t think it really matters. You should be stretching using a plethora of methods anyhow, regardless of whether or not it will increase shoulder/forearm strength. Waterbury’s test is simply a reference to determine flexibility issues. Shut up and stretch.

For those of you who are interested in the stretching/strength issue, here’s some info for ya.
Decades ago, muscle physiologists devised a graph that compares tension and striation spacing within the sarcomere. They realized that peak tension was achieved in a muscle that had adequate range of motion, and therefore possessed optimal striation spacing. In the graph they devised, the curve was virtually bell-shaped with low tension displayed at the far left due to excessive cross-bridge overlapping (i.e., active tension falls when the thin filaments “run into” the M-line and the thick filaments “run into” the Z-lines due to steric resistance to tension development). The curve also showed extremely low values at the far right due to excessive spacing that didn’t allow all myosin heads to interact with actin.
As I previously stated, optimal tension development occured directly in the center (peak of bell-shape). The stretch position I showed in my column mimics, what I believe to be the optimal range of motion for effective cross-bridge overlapping in order to develop peak tension. I came to that conclusion through years of observation with trainees on all levels. Try it and see, that’s just my take on the issue.
But don’t forget the strength-training aspect because stretching alone obviously won’t build super strong forearms!

In a related manner, I posted awhile back on not having adequate flexability in my wrists to be able to do powercleans properly. I’m wondering for the plethora of you all that are as “unflexable” as myself do you have the same problem? BTW CW, you continue to make T-mag the hands down best bb mag ever. Thanks.

I care because, I want to learn.
Im not sure why its so taboo to question one of the t-mag gurus. I would figure that they would be happy to help. I also wanted to hear anyone else’s opinion on the topic at hand and not just some blind cult following response like I received.
I find it hard to believe that everyone just takes what someone says as the new gospel and then runs with it no questions asked.
As CW pointed out this is his screen and there is no previous information or research on the issue. I was questioning his comments based on my experiences both personally and with clients: that lack of flexibility and lack of strength dont necessarily go hand in hand. For example I know several people who have horrible hamstring flexibility and tight IT bands that squat 600-700 pounds and one of my friends can do rack holds with 800 pounds but cant pass this screen, does that mean his forearms and grip are weak because he fails the test? or does it mean that he could hold more poundage if he increased his flexibility of the wrist flexors? or maybe it means that he specifically trains for grip strength so regardless of flexibility his forearms have adapted to the imposed demands he places on them.
You can say the same thing with the female athlete and other ahtletes who are able to pass the screen but who have weaker grips and forearms then those such as my friend that specifically train grip strength but yet fail the screen.
So I agree with the last statement about training for strength and not relying on stretching alone to accomplish the goal of increased grip and strength of the forearms. But I still seriously question the ancedotal evidence of increased forearm flexor leading to increased strength. Based on this hypothesis of yours, the more flexible the individual the greater the chance of increased strength. Now I dont know any powerlifters or strongman competitors that can come anywhere near the flexiblility of a gymnast or dancer, but how many of these athletes can even compare to powerlifters/ strongman in strength?
I remember a seminar I attended with Charles Staley. He told a story about how had heard someone say that beef flavored water, for dogs, was helping people to make gains. So then at his next seminar he saw numerous people running around drinking the water sold for their pet.
I hope that some of you arent still drinking it.

CW: I’m glad that unlike the others who posted, you took the time to respond to my questions regarding your ideas regarding wrist flexor flexibility as it correlates to strength. But I’m still not convinced based on the information you’ve presented that this is the case.
If there is something I’m overlooking or am incorrect in; any guidance or banter would be more than welcomed.

One stretch that has helped me improve wrist flexability is to sit down on your knees with your hands on the ground with your palms/fingers pointing to your knees and then ever slightly bend back to put extra tension/stretch on your wrists.

greggonzo-

I have to side with you on this issue, I too have difficulty performing this stretch, yet I have an extremely strong grip, I always have.

I could be wrong but, here’s how I’m looking at it increased flexability would mean an increased ROM. In turn this would yeild the abilitily to build a bigger/more developed muscle. That’s what the aricle was about (I think), building bigger forearms.

BTW, I don’t think that the whole issue of how tight someones shoulders are should be left out when looking at their ability to perform the test.

Greg, I’d be real interested in seeing if an increase ROM in your clients wrist flexors lead to any gains. You should be a little curious too, no?

Wrists felt a little tight this morning during workout, so I slipped into the behind-the-back-prayer stretch; a couple guys’ jaws dropped! No way could they get into it, then they started talking about the need to stretch more and that they once talked about yoga for flexibility. Wonder if they’ll do anything about it.

I can almost do it. I have a strong grip in lifting, but not in shaking hands. In fact, I think my fingers are pretty strong, but my thumbs are pretty weak.

When I (very seldom) train MMA, my thumbs are sore like hell from the grappling.

I’m in the “horrible” category as well…

for now…

The article also made a point about the body’s natural protective response where if the antagonist is weak then the agonist is inhibited.

Much like needing strong biceps to develop your full punching power, the triceps are the antagonists and will be inhibited to a degree to prevent hyperextension of the elbow. (Check out Roy Jones well developed biceps).

So training the forearm extensors I could envision would allow the full strength potential of the flexors to be utilised. And because the flexors are overly tight this will cause the extensors to be stretched weakened.