T Nation

The World Turns to Bush and America

Even though many people rip on GWB (as do I), it appears that they secretly support him!

Look at all the recent elections around the world in major countries: Germany, France, Britain, Australia. They’re all going pro-American!

Together, we will smash global Islamo-Fascism, with Bush in the lead.

Correlation does not equal causation.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
Even though many people rip on GWB (as do I), it appears that they secretly support him!

Look at all the recent elections around the world in major countries: Germany, France, Britain, Australia. They’re all going pro-American!

Together, we will smash global Islamo-Fascism, with Bush in the lead.[/quote]

You got it wrong. By any standard, European politicians are way left of anything you have in the US. Foreign policy was barely an issue in the countries you mentioned. Heck, if you followed closely the French elections, you’d know that Royal had a MUCH tougher stance on Iran than Sarkozy. On a side note, the Swedish right wing current government would fall somewhere near the US’s communist party.

Look at the recent elections in Latin America: Venezuela, Bolivia, Argentina, Ecuador, Brazil.

Look who’s forced to resign next month to give his party a chance at next elections. Tony Blair is a political ghost because of Iraq. Currently, as much as 80% of Brits are opposed to the war.

Look at Italy and the crush of Berlusconi.

Look at Spain and the figurative death of Aznar.

Now, look closer at the approval rates of Merkel’s policy.

Look at the approval rates of your “new Europe” allies. The Kaczynskis’ dramatically low figures are a fine examplep

Look at Putin comparing the USA to Nazi Germany this week.

I’ll skip the part about Hezbollah and Hamas because it’s more related to Israeli foreign policy than Iraq.

Oh, did I mention the heat Bush is taking from the GOP leadership because he is burning their image. I see a lot of pressure on the guy from every side to put an end to the madness.

How much is the approval rate for Bush back home? Last I checked it was around 20%.

And then, HH dares say people love secretly love him. If you secretly collect pictures of him and giggle when you hear his voice, please don’t project that on the rest of the world.

99.99% of the planet wants to fight the Islamo-facists. We don’t need no stinking war in Iraq to do so. We certainly don’t need Bush’s inflammatory rhetoric nor his neo-con BS. All he did is exacerbate things (Blair acknowledged that in his speech). A majority in the Iraqi government has approved a draft bill for timetables to get US troops out.

Hope is back. Go away, now!

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
Even though many people rip on GWB (as do I), it appears that they secretly support him!

Look at all the recent elections around the world in major countries: Germany, France, Britain, Australia. They’re all going pro-American!

Together, we will smash global Islamo-Fascism, with Bush in the lead.[/quote]

Youre reading to many Ann Coultergeist “columns”.

How on earth can anyone be so pathetic to buy her bullshit, ill never understand it…

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
Even though many people rip on GWB (as do I), it appears that they secretly support him!

Look at all the recent elections around the world in major countries: Germany, France, Britain, Australia. They’re all going pro-American!

Together, we will smash global Islamo-Fascism, with Bush in the lead.[/quote]

The only one that you can really say likes GWB is Australia, but John Howard is a douche who lets his citizens get extradited for breaking US copyright laws. Doubt he’ll last long.

[quote]lixy wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
Even though many people rip on GWB (as do I), it appears that they secretly support him!

Look at all the recent elections around the world in major countries: Germany, France, Britain, Australia. They’re all going pro-American!

Together, we will smash global Islamo-Fascism, with Bush in the lead.

You got it wrong. By any standard, European politicians are way left of anything you have in the US. Foreign policy was barely an issue in the countries you mentioned. Heck, if you followed closely the French elections, you’d know that Royal had a MUCH tougher stance on Iran than Sarkozy. On a side note, the Swedish right wing current government would fall somewhere near the US’s communist party.

Look at the recent elections in Latin America: Venezuela, Bolivia, Argentina, Ecuador, Brazil.

Look who’s forced to resign next month to give his party a chance at next elections. Tony Blair is a political ghost because of Iraq. Currently, as much as 80% of Brits are opposed to the war.

Look at Italy and the crush of Berlusconi.

Look at Spain and the figurative death of Aznar.

Now, look closer at the approval rates of Merkel’s policy.

Look at the approval rates of your “new Europe” allies. The Kaczynskis’ dramatically low figures are a fine examplep

Look at Putin comparing the USA to Nazi Germany this week.

I’ll skip the part about Hezbollah and Hamas because it’s more related to Israeli foreign policy than Iraq.

Oh, did I mention the heat Bush is taking from the GOP leadership because he is burning their image. I see a lot of pressure on the guy from every side to put an end to the madness.

How much is the approval rate for Bush back home? Last I checked it was around 20%.

And then, HH dares say people love secretly love him. If you secretly collect pictures of him and giggle when you hear his voice, please don’t project that on the rest of the world.

99.99% of the planet wants to fight the Islamo-facists. We don’t need no stinking war in Iraq to do so. We certainly don’t need Bush’s inflammatory rhetoric nor his neo-con BS. All he did is exacerbate things (Blair acknowledged that in his speech). A majority in the Iraqi government has approved a draft bill for timetables to get US troops out.

Hope is back. Go away, now![/quote]

Yeah and with Russias’ great track record for human rights and free society they should be comparing us to Nazi Germany… How long has it been since they gassed a theater full of their own people to conquer a few Chechen rebels? Funny an ex-KGB agent comparing the US to Nazis.

[quote]snipeout wrote:

Yeah and with Russias’ great track record for human rights and free society they should be comparing us to Nazi Germany… How long has it been since they gassed a theater full of their own people to conquer a few Chechen rebels? Funny an ex-KGB agent comparing the US to Nazis.[/quote]

Putin is an evil man.

I don’t want to pass judgement on the man that way, but I see your point. He definitely has a hidden agenda.

Headhunter,

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
Even though many people rip on GWB (as do I), it appears that they secretly support him!

Look at all the recent elections around the world in major countries: Germany, France, Britain, Australia. They’re all going pro-American![/quote]

Now that I’d like to analyse a bit:

Germany: Coalition government (to avoid a bit of a hung parliament - tell me about it, I voted there myself…) between social democrats and conservatives, which has been concentrating on reviving Germany’s formerly ailing economy and bolstering international organisations and the EU. Their stance is:

  • anti-Iraq-war, anti-Guantanamo
  • against military action against Iran
  • pro IPCC and pro Kyoto (sidenote: Merkel is a physicist, and was one of the first German politicians ever in German history to propose eco-taxes)
    Pro Bush - I don’t know where you get that from.

Britain: Tony Blair’s now ending premiership has been quite successful, if there hadn’t been his involvement in the Iraq war, which has cost him massive sympathies among the electorate. The recent election in Scotland led to an SNP & Green party coalition (both left of Labour and anti-war), England councils have gone massively to the Tories, and in the Welsh assembly Labour still got a kicking, but stayed. Gordon Brown, who will now take over has been watching this, and I’m fear that he knows that in order to have a chance to voted in the next general election, he’ll have to very careful how he deals with Bush.

France: I haven’t really followed the debate, but it has to be said that it was a conservative party president that said ‘non’ to Iraq, and it’s now a conservative president who will have to concentrate on reforming an ailing economy. So in effect, there hasn’t been too much of a change; and if I may agree with my esteemed colleague JeffR from the ‘Too many trolls thread’ (a combination of words I’d never thought I’d write), France’s position will most likely always be slightly anti-American.

Australia: Got no clue.

So, that leaves ‘us’ until end of 2008? That’s quite a deadline. :wink:

In general I would argue that staying close to Bush as an outgoing, wildly unpopular president - allegiance to whom at least in one case has cost a very successful European politician dearly (see above Blair) - is not on any of the major EU countries’ PMs list. They’ll be courteous, and they’ll wait, but I’d be surprised if there were any real programmatic shifts which can be described as pro-Bush, or increasing support in a military ‘war on terror’.

Makkun

[quote]Snipeout & Zap Branigan wrote:

Stuff about Putin…

[/quote]

You guys are unbelievable! I point out a direct consequence of the US breaking international treaties on missiles, and you can’t help yourselves but state the obvious. Your posts had no added value whatsoever to the thread.

[quote]makkun wrote:

Things about Sarkozy saying “non” to the war.

[/quote]

I’m afraid you’re quite mistaken about that. Sarkozy’s nicknamed as “Sarko l’Americain” (Sarkozy the American) which is quite an insult in France. He was accused by his opponent to have apologized to Bush when Chirac refused to join the invasion of Iraq.

He is also an open supporter of Israeli policies in the occupied territories, As such, he represents the nail in the coffin of whatever is left of France’s pro-Arab foreign policy.

But saying he was voted in because of his pro-Americanism as HH claims is ludicrous. He got the vote of the young educated class because he promised to allow people to work more than 35h/week. He got the vote of the extreme right because he promised a crackdown on illegal immigrants and wants to put a term to France’s laxest immigration policy.

Then he got the vote of the Macho and insecure women of the population because, let’s face it, his opponent was a chick and that doesn’t fly well in Mediterranean societies. More importantly, he won because Royal failed to hold a coherent position throughout the elections.

She always waited for Sarkozy to make a move and then blindly copy whatever promise he was making. She literally lost two days before the elections when all she proposed during the 3 hours debate between her and Nicolas was catch phrases and display of charms. It was like a toothpaste ad.

To each question about her future policies, she answered “This is an issue that has to be talked over by the social partners”. Social partners (literal translation of Partenaires Sociaux) being just a fancy word for syndicates and unions.

Sarkozy downplayed his support for Bush to the extreme towards the last days. Royal on the other hand, came out as very aggressive on foreign policy. She said that she had no problems bombing Iran if they pursued their civil nuclear program.

That tough stance on the dossier made Nicolas appear as a pacifist. Of course, Sarkozy showed his true colors again once he was declared winner last Sunday. Read his speech and you’ll understand what I mean.

Other than that, I agree with all your other points.

For those of you who don’t know what Ren was talking about when he referred to Australia, read on the following:

You guys are unbelievable! I point out a direct consequence of the US breaking international treaties on missiles

you forget the fact that Russia is an ally of Iran, who has the potential of gaining nuclear armed ICBM’s which can hit Europe. So, what do you suggest we do, wait until a nuke hits Sweden and then strike back, or go a head with a missile shield?

Why should Russia even worry? If they were OUR ally, they wouldn’t. I don’t see any of our other allies thinking we are going to strike at them because we want to build a missile shield.

For a self proclaimed pasifist, I would think you would think a missile shield would be a good idea.

Everytime you stick up for the Russians or Chinese, you dance on these people’s graves:

The breakdown of the number of deaths given by Courtois is as follows: 20 million in the Soviet Union, 65 million in the People’s Republic of China, 1 million in Vietnam, 2 million in North Korea, 2 million in Cambodia, 1 million in the Communist states of Eastern Europe, 150,000 in Latin America, 1.7 million in Africa, 1.5 million in Afghanistan and 10,000 deaths “resulting from actions of the international communist movement and communist parties not in power” The authors explicitly claim that Communist regimes are responsible for a greater number of deaths than any other political ideal or movement, including fascism.

a lot of muslims died:

about 50% of the Tatars

about 75% of the Ingush

not to mention the Chechens, Kalmacks (buddhists)

These people were removed from their lands forcefully and sent to certain death in Siberia

But I guess none of this matters because they weren’t from Palestine.

With all those deaths it’s probably a good thing we drove the country into bankruptcy and the Soviet Union collapsed. No?

Any treaty that prevents the US from producing anti-missile defense should be withdrawn from.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
Even though many people rip on GWB (as do I), it appears that they secretly support him!

Look at all the recent elections around the world in major countries: Germany, France, Britain, Australia. They’re all going pro-American!

Together, we will smash global Islamo-Fascism, with Bush in the lead.[/quote]

Oh please, you started ripping into GWB when the republicans lost the mid-term elections. You’re like the rat that abandons a sinking ship. You voted for him twice. You supported him when he lied himself into a war in Iraq.
You still do.

Don’t think for a second France or Germany will commit troops to Iraq. And quite possibly, Brown will have more room to pull out the British troops.

The world is turning to Bush allright. Their back. They’re turning their back to Bush.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
snipeout wrote:

Yeah and with Russias’ great track record for human rights and free society they should be comparing us to Nazi Germany… How long has it been since they gassed a theater full of their own people to conquer a few Chechen rebels? Funny an ex-KGB agent comparing the US to Nazis.

Putin is an evil man.[/quote]

I agree, but that’s not the point. The point was that Putin doesn’t support Bush. He’s a leader in a long line of leaders that doesn’t support Bush. That’s what this thread is about.

Putin is a plague on this world, he has pushed Russia back at least a decade.

I think we are all aware that China is the biggest human rights’ abuser in the world.

[quote]Gkhan wrote:
You guys are unbelievable! I point out a direct consequence of the US breaking international treaties on missiles

you forget the fact that Russia is an ally of Iran, who has the potential of gaining nuclear armed ICBM’s which can hit Europe. So, what do you suggest we do, wait until a nuke hits Sweden and then strike back, or go a head with a missile shield?

Why should Russia even worry? If they were OUR ally, they wouldn’t. I don’t see any of our other allies thinking we are going to strike at them because we want to build a missile shield.

For a self proclaimed pasifist, I would think you would think a missile shield would be a good idea.[/quote]

Ah yes, the ol’ mush room cloud threat again.
Yawn.

[quote]Wreckless wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:
snipeout wrote:

Yeah and with Russias’ great track record for human rights and free society they should be comparing us to Nazi Germany… How long has it been since they gassed a theater full of their own people to conquer a few Chechen rebels? Funny an ex-KGB agent comparing the US to Nazis.

Putin is an evil man.

I agree, but that’s not the point. The point was that Putin doesn’t support Bush. He’s a leader in a long line of leaders that doesn’t support Bush. That’s what this thread is about.[/quote]

I know my pinion doesn’t count for much , but if Putin doesn’t support Bush it doesn’t really matter to me. Thats like saying Kim whatever his name is in North Korea doesn’t support us or that bumbling retard from Iran, Syria or for that matter China.

Alot of the world rallies around pointing out the EVIL that is America to deflect the REAL EVIL going on in there countries. Do the numerous human rights and weapon treaty violations of these countries have to rehashed?

Do I think the U.S. is perfect? Nope. Do I think we are leaps and bounds above most everyone else? Damn straight!

[quote]Ren wrote:
Putin is a plague on this world, he has pushed Russia back at least a decade.

I think we are all aware that China is the biggest human rights’ abuser in the world.[/quote]

He has pushed the democratic development in Russia backward, not Russias economy. Russian middle class is now wealthier that it has ever been. You don’t see it there, but here in Finland and also elsewhere in Europe you can see it clearly. Russians like to travel and they have money to spend.

[quote]karva wrote:
Ren wrote:
Putin is a plague on this world, he has pushed Russia back at least a decade.

I think we are all aware that China is the biggest human rights’ abuser in the world.

He has pushed the democratic development in Russia backward, not Russias economy. Russian middle class is now wealthier that it has ever been. You don’t see it there, but here in Finland and also elsewhere in Europe you can see it clearly. Russians like to travel and they have money to spend.[/quote]

Yeah, I was talking about democracy and people’s rights. As well as research institutions and the press. Their economy is doing great though. How are the women in Finland btw? My friends and I are contemplating a scandinavian trip in the future…