T Nation

The Whoosification of America


#1

Keep in mind, I am only 25 years old and am still in my youth.

Has anyone else noticed the slow and steady decline in the strength of will and desire to make one's self better. I have a theory that I want to test out and get feedback on. I look everyday at the culture of America and how it is slowly changing to a society that would rather quit or take the easy way out, instead of putting in the hard work necessary for the desired outcome.

Granted this does not apply to everyone in each of the generations that I will describe, but I think we will start to find common themes in the growth of this nation.

First, let's take a look at the generation that lived and fought through WWI and the Great Depression. That is one tough generation. I look at my grandparents for the resolve of this generation. Pretty much refusing to go to the doctor's office, rarely calling in sick to work, never late to anything, always willing to succeed. This is one tough group of people.

Second, look at the majority of our parents. Remember, this will not apply to all members of this group, but it will apply to many of them. This generation grew up in the protesting environment of the Vietnam War and the drug abusing 70s and early 80s. This group will stand up for what they believe in, but when the going got tough, they would quit and sit down and chain themselves to a bike rack if they did not get their way. Similar to a 3 year old.

I have no issues with the rights given to you by the Constitution. I swore an oath to support and defend it. This group would constantly point the finger at everyone else instead of asking, "What can I do to make this situation better?"

Third, look at the kids of those troubled groups. They posess no drive and no internal blame. It is everyone else's fault that you are all jacked up. The finger will always point at someone else. When the work is too hard, they will just up and quit, and it is because the government will not support them, or that their Nitendo broke. It is the generation of excuses.

What a pathetic group of people with no accountability. I look at the so-called nintendo generation everyday in the conduct of my duties and responsibilities, and I am impressed with some and completely disgusted with others.

It is that rare group of people who raised their children outdoors and making them play outside. It is the groups that have taken accountability for their actions that have succeeded thus far in this world. These are the leaders of the next generation, however the majority of lazy Americans stand in their way because they can vote and put the blame where it does not need to be, instead of asking what they can do to help fix or nation's problems.

I will say again that this definitely does not apply to all members of this generation, but the trends are there and are growing. We need to nip this shit in the ass and get away from the "everyone gets a trophy" attitude. Competition is the only thing that will make us look at ourselves and put the work in to find the correct solution. i will step off of the box and wait your great replies and see if you agree with my assessment. Thanks.


#2

Broad brush alert! stop stroking it.


#3

[quote]Rogue57 wrote:
Keep in mind, I am only 25 years old and am still in my youth.

Has anyone else noticed the slow and steady decline in the strength of will and desire to make one’s self better. I have a theory that I want to test out and get feedback on. I look everyday at the culture of America and how it is slowly changing to a society that would rather quit or take the easy way out, instead of putting in the hard work necessary for the desired outcome.

Granted this does not apply to everyone in each of the generations that I will describe, but I think we will start to find common themes in the growth of this nation.

First, let’s take a look at the generation that lived and fought through WWI and the Great Depression. That is one tough generation. I look at my grandparents for the resolve of this generation. Pretty much refusing to go to the doctor’s office, rarely calling in sick to work, never late to anything, always willing to succeed. This is one tough group of people.

Second, look at the majority of our parents. Remember, this will not apply to all members of this group, but it will apply to many of them. This generation grew up in the protesting environment of the Vietnam War and the drug abusing 70s and early 80s. This group will stand up for what they believe in, but when the going got tough, they would quit and sit down and chain themselves to a bike rack if they did not get their way. Similar to a 3 year old.

I have no issues with the rights given to you by the Constitution. I swore an oath to support and defend it. This group would constantly point the finger at everyone else instead of asking, “What can I do to make this situation better?”

Third, look at the kids of those troubled groups. They posess no drive and no internal blame. It is everyone else’s fault that you are all jacked up. The finger will always point at someone else. When the work is too hard, they will just up and quit, and it is because the government will not support them, or that their Nitendo broke. It is the generation of excuses.

What a pathetic group of people with no accountability. I look at the so-called nintendo generation everyday in the conduct of my duties and responsibilities, and I am impressed with some and completely disgusted with others.

It is that rare group of people who raised their children outdoors and making them play outside. It is the groups that have taken accountability for their actions that have succeeded thus far in this world. These are the leaders of the next generation, however the majority of lazy Americans stand in their way because they can vote and put the blame where it does not need to be, instead of asking what they can do to help fix or nation’s problems.

I will say again that this definitely does not apply to all members of this generation, but the trends are there and are growing. We need to nip this shit in the ass and get away from the “everyone gets a trophy” attitude. Competition is the only thing that will make us look at ourselves and put the work in to find the correct solution. i will step off of the box and wait your great replies and see if you agree with my assessment. Thanks.[/quote]

I totally agree, I am 27. I sick and tired of the equal opportunity crap! If you can do the job without bonus points or lowering the standards then good on you. No need to weaken a nation though.


#4

Well I am glad that you agree, by weakening the nation we cannot guarantee safety and security for the future generations to come, or they may just surrender to avoid having to fight.


#5

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.


#6

OP-

Get a life. Worry about your own kids, not what everyone else is doing.

[i]
“What is happening to our young
people? They disrespect their elders, they disobey their parents. They
ignore the law. They riot in the streets inflamed with wild notions.
Their morals are decaying. What is to become of them?” - Plato

[i]
“I see no hope for the future of our people if they are dependent on
frivolous youth of today, for certainly all youth are reckless beyond
words… When I was young, we were taught to be discreet and
respectful of elders, but the present youth are exceedingly wise
[disrespectful] and impatient of restraint”

  • (Hesiod, 8th century BC).
    [/i]

#7

I have to agree with abcd1234, your brush is too wide, I think every generation has it?s share of people that avoid conflict and are satisfied with status quoi


#8

[quote]pushharder wrote:
Rogue57 wrote:

…I have no issues with the rights given to you by the Constitution…

Do not do this, buddy. The Constitution does NOT give rights. It gives some power to the government and sets strict limits on it. It simply is not in the “right giving” business. You must learn the distinction.[/quote]

Push makes a valid point Rogue, it is vital that we never forget the Constitution is a document of negative powers (it limits the govt).

But, back to your post - you makes some great observations- the only think i would add is something you have alluded to - there are people of amazing character in each generation - so there are always the seeds of hope for the future.

I agree that we have wussified this nation - and I lay the blame squarely on the heads of those who seek action without consequences, freedom without responsibility, privilege without cost, wealth without labor and love without character . . .


#9

Push,

I understand your distinction. Please allow the context of my words to be interpreted in this way. I am a student of the Constitution and decided to break it down to the lowest levels. Thanks for reeling it in.


#10

I do believe that this is a very broad brush approach to the issue, but I just did not feel like writing a full fledged paper on the topic. I do think that I can prove my theory, however, I do NOT think that it is always the answer. There are, as Irish put it amazing people in every generation. I think that they are the ones who have carried us through the rough times, but where we are going nowadays is going to be a tough call and we need to reign some reality back into the lives of our youth. You can ask some simple questions to the population of America about the government and they will have no clue. I see it everyday.


#11

Competition is important.

I disagree with everything else you wrote.

It would be the ultimate paradox of nature should biological competition ever truly cease. It would be akin to breaking the 2nd law of thermodynamics. Life just isn’t possible without competition.

Besides that, encouraging more people to play the game is a waste of time here.

You’re preachin’ to the choir.


#12

[quote]pushharder wrote:
Rogue57 wrote:

…I have no issues with the rights given to you by the Constitution…

Do not do this, buddy. The Constitution does NOT give rights. It gives some power to the government and sets strict limits on it. It simply is not in the “right giving” business. You must learn the distinction.[/quote]

HAH! I like this. I think it does guarantee rights. So I disagree. I just think it’s important to note that they are negative rights. Anything that requires someone else to do something is not and should not be a guaranteed right.


#13

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.


#14

[quote]Rogue57 wrote:
I do believe that this is a very broad brush approach to the issue, but I just did not feel like writing a full fledged paper on the topic. I do think that I can prove my theory, however, I do NOT think that it is always the answer. There are, as Irish put it amazing people in every generation. I think that they are the ones who have carried us through the rough times, but where we are going nowadays is going to be a tough call and we need to reign some reality back into the lives of our youth. You can ask some simple questions to the population of America about the government and they will have no clue. I see it everyday.[/quote]

I didn’t say that at all. Did you read what I posted?

It shows that there were schmucks like you saying this same shit 2,000 years ago.


#15

What the OP describes is theoretically the creeping socialism that will sap the strength of the republic and trend toward totalitarianism.


#16

[quote]valiant knight wrote:
What the OP describes is theoretically the creeping socialism that will sap the strength of the republic and trend toward totalitarianism.[/quote]

I would say the OP is referring to human nature, nothing as nefarious as in socialism


#17

First off, I don’t think it’s just the young people; it’s most Americans. And I don’t think it’s a “whoosification” so much as we’ve grown content because of a lack of a legitimate external threat.

This has, I think, warped our perspective. We seem to think that our easy, prosperous, and free way of life is ordained by God, and will never fade away. We have it real good, and we don’t realize just how quickly it can go real bad if we aren’t vigilant.

And this lack of vigilance came about because we’ve gone quite a long time without a serious competitor that demanded it.

With all that, I believe the inherent American toughness that won WWII is still here, and would show itself if we were threatened. The problem is that we’re vulnerable to letting the country rot away from the inside an inch at a time and won’t realize it until it’s far too late.

Because, you know, that could never happen here!


#18

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.


#19

[quote]pushharder wrote:
tGunslinger wrote:
First off, I don’t think it’s just the young people; it’s most Americans. And I don’t think it’s a “whoosification” so much as we’ve grown content because of a lack of a legitimate external threat.

This has, I think, warped our perspective. We seem to think that our easy, prosperous, and free way of life is ordained by God, and will never fade away. We have it real good, and we don’t realize just how quickly it can go real bad if we aren’t vigilant.

And this lack of vigilance came about because we’ve gone quite a long time without a serious competitor that demanded it.

With all that, I believe the inherent American toughness that won WWII is still here, and would show itself if we were threatened. The problem is that we’re vulnerable to letting the country rot away from the inside an inch at a time and won’t realize it until it’s far too late.

Because, you know, that could never happen here!

I wholeheartedly agree. I was thinking along the same line but you put this into words better than I could.

I was on Amtrak’s Coast Starlight train (the L.A. - Seattle route) the other day and as I surveyed the passengers aboard the few cars I was in and traipsed in and out of others, I noticed the sorriest excuses for MEN. The older guys were fat fucks. The younger guys were goofy little fucks - weak, gabby, little wussies.

I don’t know if it was just because I was on the “left coast” or what but I remember thinking, “Holy smokes, if the shit (whatever shit that might be) ever hit the fan, regionally, nationally, or even on that train, these worthless jellyfish would be crushed like bugs under the heel of a logger.” (Dammit, I think I mixed my metaphors)

At that moment I could not have been like our Messiah’s wife when she said, “For the first time in my adult lifetime, I am really proud of my country.” Based on the amount of masculinity I saw on that train I would have had to say the opposite.

Or maybe I was just ornery that day. I dunno.[/quote]

No, it’s not just you noticing that . . .take time to look around on the Metro or in the mall - you will be absolutely stunned by how few American males actually look like they could handle any kind of serious shit going down . . .

But then I realized - I’m looking in the wrong places. When me and my buddies hang out (redneck bunch of sob’s) or when we’re out hunting, or paint balling, or lifting - there’s were you find the real guys. Go onto a construction site or into a factory, walk into a marine barracks or hang out with some biker friends… there’s a lot of joking and kidding around, a lot of bs’ing and boasting, but slow your gaze down (imagine the scene from a vampire movie when the person realizes they are surrounded by vampires and they see the faces change) and watch the eyes…

I don’t know about you all, but I’m seeing a lot of hungry hunter eyes these days . . . there’s a rising tension in the real wolf pack . . . it’s like the real men, the t-men, are getting an animal sense that somethings about to happen and they’re ready . . .

the real wussification of america has been the promotion of the metro sexual androgynous ideal for males in our society . . . boys aren’t supposed to play rough and rowdy,they aren’t supposed to fight and win, they aren’t supposed to tease and push each other to try dangerous stunts . . . let a boy be too active and they start drugging them up . . . males have become tamed house pets for society . . . it’s ok to workout, but don’t grunt and sweat . . .it’s ok to have muscles - but don’t break stuff or push your weight around. . . it’s ok to be strong - but hide it behind an emotional sensitivity . . .

I grew up around real men working on farms and oil-fields . . .

ooops - got off on a rant


#20

yeah sorry but when boyfriend and girlfriend look like a pair of small skinny dykes on a regular basis it is scary,

I am 29, have two daughters and feel bad that their choices will probably be these little homo wannabe’s (know I’ll catch flack)

i grew up on a farm, playing sports and fighting, it was normal and accepted. Kind of glad I don’t have a boy, he would probably spend a lot of time in jail, I would not teach to play nice or not fight.