T Nation

The Whole Truth

For quite a while now I have been eating non-enriched carbs (whole wheat bread, whole wheat pasta, oatmeal). However, I do not know exaclty why. I read somewhere, probably on this site, that you should eat whole wheat carbs opposed to enirched. After searching this site, I can only find that is what I am supposed to do, but cannot find why. Any insight into this subject is greatly appreicated.

My understanding is that highly processed and refined carbs are less bioavalble then their less refined cousins.

Thanks for the reply. Any more information on why we eat un-refined carbs or why they are more bioavlble than enriched carbs?

From what i understand the reason that your eating things such as wheat bread, original oatmeal (not the instant crap) and brown rice is because it is a slow burning carbohydrate. The idea is that these products have a lower # on the GI index?? And because of this it creates a much smaller insulin spike then if you had say white bread. Since insulin plays a part in fat storage, when you are cutting you try to keep your insulin levels low??
I could be completely off here but thats just what i remember…???

The reason an item is enriched, is because it has been processed so much, that is has lost most of its nutrients, so the maker has to add them back in. Anything that is highly processed, is going to have a high GI. It is always better to get your nutrients from the natural source, rather than additives.

I know I am asking a lot of questions here, but I just tyring to education myself. Thanks for all the information.

One more question, why do enriched foods have a higher GI?