The Westside Method Thread

Thanks STB. I don’t feel my lats are weak - relative to the rest of me - and I automatically assumed I should be moving the most weight with a

wide grip. I have been doing a lot of triceps work lately and hopefully this is an indication that it is paying off!

I was hoping I could get some feedback on the amount of volume/exercises etc. I’m doing. I’ve read/watched some Louie Simmons stuff and he says a lot of the times to only train for an hour then leave. I have never been able to do this though. All my workouts take 1.5-2 hours and I’m not sure whether that’s good as I’m more of a beginner and need more work or the opposite is true and I need less work and more rest.

For example, here’s my DE Bench yesterday:

Incline Plyo Pushups

Bench
15x3

Incline DB Press
1x12, 2x9
dropped weight - 2x10

Barbell T-Bar Row
3x12

Machine Row
3x10

Cable Extensions
1x15, 1x9, 1x7

EZ Curls
2x8, 1x7

It doesn’t look like “too much” to me and it took me 1.5 hours from start of DE Bench work sets to the end - although longer if you count plyo pushups, warming up and then afterwards some prehab stuff.

Hey STB was pointed to this thread by mercury. Just started reading got a long way to go but lots of really good info in here so thanks.

Just wanted to get your opinion on two things…

1. I currently bench with my index close to the smooth, do you think it needs to moved out to Bench bigger weights, I am weaker in the wider bench but I reckon theres probaly a best of both worlds that I havent found yet.

2. With the max effort work I had always worked up to a 1rm and changed exercise every two weeks. Some of the thread that I have read suggests you could do 3rm-5rm. Do you think this is more advantageous? I think it would help get more heavy quality reps in the weakest positions.

thanks again for starting this thread and passing on the knowledge!

[quote]Chigishev wrote:
Hey STB was pointed to this thread by mercury. Just started reading got a long way to go but lots of really good info in here so thanks.

Just wanted to get your opinion on two things…

1. I currently bench with my index close to the smooth, do you think it needs to moved out to Bench bigger weights, I am weaker in the wider bench but I reckon theres probaly a best of both worlds that I havent found yet.

2. With the max effort work I had always worked up to a 1rm and changed exercise every two weeks. Some of the thread that I have read suggests you could do 3rm-5rm. Do you think this is more advantageous? I think it would help get more heavy quality reps in the weakest positions.

thanks again for starting this thread and passing on the knowledge! [/quote]

1. Move it out, but move it out over time. I moved my bench out a finger span every month until I got it where it is now - index fingers on the outside power rings. I wasn’t able to bench as much right away but now have much greater success in my bench after being stalled for quite some time.

2. Do 3rm-5rm during the accumulation phases, 1rm/3rm (depending if you feel good or not) during intensification phase. There’s a time and place for things, know when to use what.

cheers, I have definately fallen into maxing out 1RM every week which is not clever every week. Like you said I need to learn when to use this. Also had no idea about the accumulation and intensification phases until reading this thread, so very interesting info for me.

I noticed my 3 rep max for close grip floor press is 5 pounds heavier then my 3rm for floor press with my pinky on the smooth part. Now could this be a problem with my back or mainly chest?