The Westside Method Thread

Hah, thanks, I do think it works but some of the explanations seem a bit odd. Like you said, zercher may only use 30% of your competition deadlift but in no way is it really “easy” or “easier”.

Also, pulled 200kg today for a good PR and a massive milestone for me.

Maybe all this craziness actually works. :stuck_out_tongue:

Is it ever a good idea to do a back movement as the ME or supplementary movement in an upper body workout? Like work up to 1RM on a chain bench press, then work up to a 8RM on Pendlay rows? Or work up to a 5RM on chins then do some db bench pressing?

[quote]Fletch1986 wrote:
Is it ever a good idea to do a back movement as the ME or supplementary movement in an upper body workout? Like work up to 1RM on a chain bench press, then work up to a 8RM on Pendlay rows? Or work up to a 5RM on chins then do some db bench pressing?[/quote]

That is pretty much what my entire Intesnification Block looks like. You can’t do it forever though, it will kill you. Here is how I set-up a ME Upper day during the Intensification Block:

Bench Variation for a 1rm

High Rep Extensions or Bench Variation for at least 50 reps
Bench Variaiton for a 6rm

Row Variaiton for a 6-10rm

Other assistance stuff

Sometimes I will switch the high rep extensions and the 6rm. Same idea for DE work and lower body workouts.

This gets you very strong but also beats the shit out of you.

@STB: So for DE Squat/Deadlift you would do speed squat and pulls - after that, what would you do? Something like this again for example 6-10RM good morning or front squat or whatever?

Does anyone know the name of the song playing on this video?

I watched this video then went and broke my PR in the safety squat good morning (256LB 2, a conservative 2RM) I know it’s not much by the standards on here but I was very pleased with it.

[quote]LiquidMercury wrote:

[quote]marlboroman wrote:
rev band pulls…

Im currently doing them mainly because I dont have a way of pulling against bands right now . 5 weeks of accumulation . band assistance decreases throughout the acc. phase , while weight stays the same . weight is about 70% of 1RM at 12 x 1 .

not sure yet what I’ll do for intensification phase…either straight weight for 8x1 at a lower percentage ; or same weight at 8x1 with minimal assistance .

any thoughts would be welcome .[/quote]

Don’t use bands for the sake of bands unless you have a point to doing them. Personally I don’t care much for rev band work for dynamic, I think the force curve isn’t what most raw lifters are looking for - if you’re geared it’s another issue. Reverse band work for Max Effort work can definitely be great for overloading.[/quote]

Im using rev band pulls because I believe that variation is a positive …as in pulling straight weight for DE month after month may not be as productive as changing the method every so often. the past few weeks are the first times/s using rev band .

to be honest , Im not exactly sure that I like them . but I will finish out the cycle as planned , and adjust accordingly next cycle .

looking for
/working on a way to pull against bands by using DB’s as band anchors .

I measured the height of the bench that I use for box squatting…16" . at 5’6" , does this seem about right ? to me it sounds too high; but when I sit on it in squatting stance it looks right in the mirror , but that may be a point of reference thing .

any others out there at my height know thier box height ?

I measured the height of the bench that I use for box squatting…16" . at 5’6" , does this seem about right ? to me it sounds too high; but when I sit on it in squatting stance it looks right in the mirror , but that may be a point of reference thing .

any others out there at my height know thier box height ?[/quote]

I’m 5’8" (on a good day) and a box height of 12.75" puts my hips a bit below parallel.

[quote]giterdone wrote:

I’m 5’8" (on a good day) and a box height of 12.75" puts my hips a bit below parallel.[/quote]

holy shit…that puts me in the not-even-close category .

damn , I had a suspicion it wasnt low enough , but I didnt think I was that far off .

thanks for the reply

I’m 5’10" and use 10-14" height for box squats.

[quote]louiek wrote:

I’m 5’10" and use 10-14" height for box squats.[/quote]

thanks for the reply .

again , it sounds like I need to be using a lower box .

What is everyone’s thoughts on how to setup and when to do extra workouts?

[quote]pbclax1 wrote:
What is everyone’s thoughts on how to setup and when to do extra workouts?[/quote]

light , high-rep , lower-body ( glutes/hams) recovery oriented is all Ive done . works great , just like Storm said it would .

What do people think of doing “ghetto” GHRs? Very few gyms out here have it and although the ghetto version is a lot harder than the real thing it still seems like it would be of benefit.

Anyone used it/feelings? I tried it today and definitely different feeling in hamstrings.

[quote]michael_xyz wrote:
What do people think of doing “ghetto” GHRs? Very few gyms out here have it and although the ghetto version is a lot harder than the real thing it still seems like it would be of benefit.

Anyone used it/feelings? I tried it today and definitely different feeling in hamstrings.[/quote]

Manual GHR / rigged up on Lat/Pulldown/bosu ball never did anything for me. I always felt like my hamstrings were going to rip out and my knees would explode. My gym doesnt have a GHR, I only use one if I am on the road and visit a gym with one.

Tons of people have gotten strong without GHR. Honestky, there are plenty of good exercises to hit hte hams hard - GHR is not a magic pill. Unless you have access to a regular GHR, don’t worry about rigging some makeshit stuff up. Hit RDL / SLDL hard, do sumo leg presses, heck even regular laying leg curls and/or pullthroughs will get you strong.

Anyone used it/feelings? I tried it today and definitely different feeling in hamstrings.[/quote]

I tried it and thought I got much better results with one leg swiss ball leg curls and seated and lying down band leg curls.

When I did the N-ghr’s, I used a bosu ball for spring and leverage and anchored my heels underneath one of the machines in the gym and I got to where I could do several unassisted reps but no increase in dead or squat.

Well I do all those things already which is why I thought it might be beneficial to change it up a bit. Sometimes that’s what’s required to push past some plateaus.

[quote]buddaboy wrote:

Does anyone know the name of the song playing on this video?

I watched this video then went and broke my PR in the safety squat good morning (256LB 2, a conservative 2RM) I know it’s not much by the standards on here but I was very pleased with it.[/quote]

No idea. Those guys like some weird fucking music. When I was up there, Louie was doing an extra workout that he had timed to a Nappy Roots CD… that is like straight out of 5th grade for me.

@STB: So for DE Squat/Deadlift you would do speed squat and pulls - after that, what would you do? Something like this again for example 6-10RM good morning or front squat or whatever? [/quote]

Pretty much. I have switched a few things around and plan on only doing good morning variations on after DE work. I usually do my terrible 6rm stuff after speed work though, like RDLs, SLDLs, and stuff like that. I am going to start putting all of that work on ME day to see if either:

1. I am more recovered for the next ME day

or

1. The stress kills me.

I have an EFS Box Squat Box that is always set to 13 inches. I adjust height byt putting plates, soft foam, or hard foam on top. 13 inches puts me about 1-2 inches below parallel. I do most of my box squats off of hard foam that sinks to 14inches. I am 6’2’’ though.