The Wendler 6 Assistance w/Jokers & FSL?

Hi Jim

Currently I do 531 with Jokers and FSL. Absolutely love it.

I would like to use the “Wendler 6” as my assistance exercises.

What way do you recommend using these on a four day training week (Deadlift, Bench, Squat, Overhead press)

Do you recommend certain exercises from the wendler six to be used on certain days, and if so what sore of rep and set ranges?

Thanks
B

Just do 2-3 sets of 2-3 exercises per workout. When you do them isn’t terribly important. You have to think “big picture” in regards to training: thus the work done over a year of training, not in a week (or a workout).

In general, do the back raises and ab work on squat/dead day. Perhaps rows, too. Do 2-3 other exercises on press and bench press day.

2 Likes

Brilliant Jim, thanks for that!

Starting new cycle next week so will try it then!!!

B

One more question Jim. :slight_smile:

What sort of reps should I use and how heavy should I go on the assistance work?

Something like 8-10 reps @ 60% or so?

[quote]Bingobob wrote:
One more question Jim. :slight_smile:

What sort of reps should I use and how heavy should I go on the assistance work?

Something like 8-10 reps @ 60% or so?[/quote]

60% of what?

All you use weight for is curls or rows. You don’t have a TM for these. Unless we are talking about something completely different.

Yes, I mean what types of reps would you recommend for all 6 of the assistance exercises

And what type of weight percentage (based on your max for these exercises) for the curls and rows.

With bodyweight or dumbbells just pick a weight and do 3 to 5 sets of 10 to 20 reps.

If you’re doing barbell rows use SST or 5’s Progression.

With rows and curls - just do a couple sets of 10-20. Don’t need to program this stuff.

Everything can’t be of the same importance. Don’t waste too much thought on this.

Cheers jim, that’s great thanks!

[quote]Bingobob wrote:
Cheers jim, that’s great thanks![/quote]

I hope this is VERY CLEAR. This is assistance work and taking about the .00000000000000000000000001% (minutia) of training.

It’s a curl and a tug. You just grab a bar and either get pipes or lats.

What are the “Wendler 6”? I can’t find anything on Google about it. Is there an article or blog post about it? Thank you.

Book. You should read it. Quite good.

It’s not in the books. Curls, dips, rows, chins, abs, low back. Only assistance Jim recommends to end all discussion about it. Asked it in a thread myself. It’s on the 2nd page already.

1 Like

[quote]Willem85 wrote:
It’s not in the books. Curls, dips, rows, chins, abs, low back. Only assistance Jim recommends to end all discussion about it. Asked it in a thread myself. It’s on the 2nd page already. [/quote]

I believe it’s in the 2nd edition.

Which page?

[quote]Jaynick77 wrote:

[quote]Willem85 wrote:
It’s not in the books. Curls, dips, rows, chins, abs, low back. Only assistance Jim recommends to end all discussion about it. Asked it in a thread myself. It’s on the 2nd page already. [/quote]

I believe it’s in the 2nd edition. [/quote]

No, I don’t think so. It was probably something he came up with for his forum.

No - it’s been written about many times on here.

Dips
Chins (various)
Rows
Curls
Ab work
Low back (raises/RH)

After main work and supplemental work, these are the movements I recommend. People are free to do whatever they want, but these are what I recommend.

1 Like