The Watchmen Discussion Thread

[quote]roybot wrote:
Just as a matter of interest, does anybody have a link to Matthew Goode’s workout routine?

I know Dr. Manhattan got jacked by having his intrinsic field removed, but I want to stay natural…[/quote]

He used The Veidt Method.

[quote]pushmepullme wrote:

He used The Veidt Method.[/quote]

How long do I have wait before BB.com makes up some random routine and calls it The Veidt Method?

In the meantime, I guess I’ll have to go with the intrinsic field subtractor…

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
roybot wrote:

I know Dr. Manhattan got jacked by having his intrinsic field removed, but I want to stay natural…

I read in a recent “6 page ad report” that a certain supplement company is working on such a product as we speak.
(that’s how Jay plans on winning the Olympia in '09!)

S

[/quote]

Won’t the fact that he’ll suddenly be a naked, blue-skinned giant be a bit of a giveaway?

[quote]roybot wrote:
pushmepullme wrote:

How long do I have wait before BB.com makes up some random routine and calls it The Veidt Method?

[/quote]

If they hadn’t made Veidt so thin and unimposing in this movie… I’m sure it would be up by now.

[quote]pushmepullme wrote:
mahwah wrote:
Going to see it this weekend.

I’ve read that they did leave out one of the side stories (The Black Freighter) but it will be included as a special feature on the DVD.

I can see how that would be confusing and difficult to include.

[/quote]

Alan Moore said that Watchmen used a lot of techniques that only work in comic form. The “story inside a story” that meshes perfectly with the outer story is one of those. I guess another one would be the recurring themes or pictures that spawn all the issues. One issue goes from bright and cheery colored to dark and heavy as the story progresses to strengthen the sense of impending doom.

It’s a very interesting series; one of those rare story where you can still be picking up new stuff on the fifth or sixth read through.

[quote]Malevolence wrote:
roybot wrote:
pushmepullme wrote:

If they hadn’t made Veidt so thin and unimposing in this movie… I’m sure it would be up by now. [/quote]

I never thought that they’d have the audacity to publish a feature on Shia Labeouf’s workout routine, either. I was wrong:

http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/music_movies_girls_life/la_buff_enough_

They are probably photoshopping Matthew Goode’s biceps as we type.

[quote]roybot wrote:
Won’t the fact that he’ll suddenly be a naked, blue-skinned giant be a bit of a giveaway?

[/quote]

Well, no one complains about his giant GH head -lol

S

I read the comic and i think the change in the ending may have been disappointing for the comic geeks like myself but was necessary to make the movie more appealing to the main stream, i mean a bunch of squid aliens might have worked fine in the 80s but for this generation it would have just seemed stupid, my biggest problem was the fact that in the end dr.Manhattan was asked by adrian if he did the right thing in the comic he left adrian wondering in the movie he said yes

[quote]Malevolence wrote:
Mad Max the movie predates Watchmen the Book and is likely where Moore got the idea in the first place. I hate to say it, but leaving it out of the Watchmen movie was probably a smart choice. Though, doing so seriously warped Rorchach’s monologue. [/quote]

If you look in the scene where Veidt is watching all the tv screens and spots R. and night owl, one screen has mad max just a suttle reference, along with the comedians room number 3001 untill he throws the cup at veidt and reached for his gun, the cup breaks the 1 of the door and now reads 300, the last movie the director worked on…

[quote]ratm41 wrote:
I read the comic and i think the change in the ending may have been disappointing for the comic geeks like myself but was necessary to make the movie more appealing to the main stream, i mean a bunch of squid aliens might have worked fine in the 80s but for this generation it would have just seemed stupid, my biggest problem was the fact that in the end dr.Manhattan was asked by adrian if he did the right thing in the comic he left Adrian wondering in the movie he said yes[/quote]

I guess that makes a little sense (I dont think so, but I’ll grant you that)… But why involve Manhattan? I can see if they didnt want to use the “psychic squids” for whatever reason (really, much more sinister I think)… but why change the feel of it by using Manhattan to blow up multiple cities? He had nothing to do with it in the book. Why not just use some other kind of monster if you feel you must change the ending.

Yes, the moment where Adrian asks Manhattan if he did the right thing in the end, and then he says “nothing ever ends” is devastating to Adrian. Its much more poignant than the way they did it in the movie.

It was actually road warrior on the screens, not mad max, however I agree. I think it was a subtle reference to the removal of the rorshach bit earlier.

I think they didn’t change the feel of it. The main thing is that they couldn’t spend the screen time building the story of the missing artists and scientists that created the “something is brewing, but what is it?” feeling in the books. Without that undertone, just making it some other monster would have seemed non-sequitur and pointless. Dr. Manhattan at least already had the backstory built up of being powerful enough, and detached enough, that the citizens of the USSR and USA would buy that he nuked them.

I think in the end, the main plot part that suffered for me was why Viedt had to kill the Comedian. They had to move by all of that so fast, that characters like Moloch seemed pointless, almost even confusing.

[quote]Lonnie123 wrote:
I guess that makes a little sense (I dont think so, but I’ll grant you that)… But why involve Manhattan? I can see if they didnt want to use the “psychic squids” for whatever reason (really, much more sinister I think)… but why change the feel of it by using Manhattan to blow up multiple cities? He had nothing to do with it in the book. Why not just use some other kind of monster if you feel you must change the ending.

Yes, the moment where Adrian asks Manhattan if he did the right thing in the end, and then he says “nothing ever ends” is devastating to Adrian. Its much more poignant than the way they did it in the movie.[/quote]

[quote]skaz05 wrote:

I would have also thrown down a little train action on her too, I mean if I could make several clones of myself… Shiiiiiiiit.[/quote]

Ahaha that reminds me my gf and I are laying in bed at 2 in the morning just about to fall asleep and I thought of that. I think my exact words were “hey remember when Dr. Manhattan had two of himself with that one chick? I want to see the deleted scene in which he pig roasts that bitch…it’d look like she is impaled on a light saber.” I then started making dolphin noises and almost pooped my pants.

I think the bigger question, that no has yet seemed to address is this.

Who is going to play Dr. Manhattan when Southpark spoofs it?

[quote]BradTGIF wrote:
I think the bigger question, that no has yet seemed to address is this.

Who is going to play Dr. Manhattan when Southpark spoofs it?[/quote]

lol

Maybe Mr. Slave

[quote]GhorigTheBeefy wrote:
Maybe Mr. Slave[/quote]

Might be funnier if it was Cartman.

[quote]AngryVader wrote:
GhorigTheBeefy wrote:
Maybe Mr. Slave

Might be funnier if it was Cartman.[/quote]

BEEFCAKE!!!

[quote]AngryVader wrote:
GhorigTheBeefy wrote:
Maybe Mr. Slave

Might be funnier if it was Cartman.[/quote]

No no no no, Cartman will be Ozymandias. It’ll be like when he was a televangelist.

[quote]Doug Adams wrote:
AngryVader wrote:
GhorigTheBeefy wrote:
Maybe Mr. Slave

Might be funnier if it was Cartman.

No no no no, Cartman will be Ozymandias. It’ll be like when he was a televangelist. [/quote]

I thought The Commedian would be played by Cartman…