The War on Boys

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:

[quote]AliveAgain36 wrote:
Human Targeting is an awesome name for dodge ball. It makes it sound even more fun.[/quote]

One of my daughters came up with “zombie apocalypse.” Basically tag, but if you get tagged, you join the hunt for “survivors.” Also run with your hands out in front of you.

She’s in kindergarten.

I thought it was awesome, but apparently other parents didn’t approve.
[/quote]
That is beyond awesome. The other parents are a bunch of kill-joys.

[quote]undoredo wrote:

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:

[quote]AliveAgain36 wrote:
Human Targeting is an awesome name for dodge ball. It makes it sound even more fun.[/quote]

One of my daughters came up with “zombie apocalypse.” Basically tag, but if you get tagged, you join the hunt for “survivors.” Also run with your hands out in front of you.

She’s in kindergarten.

I thought it was awesome, but apparently other parents didn’t approve.
[/quote]
That is beyond awesome. The other parents are a bunch of kill-joys.
[/quote]

Completely agree.

[quote]magick wrote:

[quote]jbpick86 wrote:
Dodgeball is actually one of the safer activities from actual injury. Not from getting hurt, but from getting injured.
[/quote]

Ya, but people can’t seem to handle the fact that their precious baby might get “hurt” by the ball. Or can’t handle the “violence” of having balls thrown at them. Or the “mental pain” of getting picked last.

Ok, the “getting picked last” does hurt. Personal experience. But nothing you can’t get over.

In any case, I never said that their worries are legitimate- they’re really not.

But the parents are banning dodge-ball because they don’t want their children getting “hurt”. They want them to be “safe”.[/quote]

There’s no evidence that parents overall have these concerns. Parents generally will hit their kids with more force than any ball thrown by a child can do.

It’s overwhelmingly schools/teachers supporting this activity for their own convenience.

[quote]magick wrote:

[quote]jbpick86 wrote:
These parents are idiots and are raising giant pansies. Boys like to hurt each other and get hurt, if they don’t they are too docile and need some toughening up and to lay off the add meds.
[/quote]

Honestly, I’m terrified of how badly my future parenting methods will conflict with the expected parenting methods of the future.

If I did what my parents did, I’d probably go to jail.[/quote]

They will conflict wildly because initiating force against your kids is immoral and what your parents did to you is horrible and I’m deeply sorry about that.

In several generations the treatment of kids as anything other than full human beings will be considered as horrible as slavery is now.

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]magick wrote:

[quote]jbpick86 wrote:
These parents are idiots and are raising giant pansies. Boys like to hurt each other and get hurt, if they don’t they are too docile and need some toughening up and to lay off the add meds.
[/quote]

Honestly, I’m terrified of how badly my future parenting methods will conflict with the expected parenting methods of the future.

My wife and I are hoping to have kids in the next year or two. This is probably what scares me the most. [/quote]

You should be more scared of yourself hurting your kids because once you accept physical punishment being okay there’s no turning back.

[quote]TooHuman wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]magick wrote:

[quote]jbpick86 wrote:
[/quote]

My wife and I are hoping to have kids in the next year or two. This is probably what scares me the most. [/quote]

You should be more scared of yourself hurting your kids because once you accept physical punishment being okay there’s no turning back.[/quote]

No turning back to what?

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:

No turning back to what?[/quote]

You can’t unslap those tears off your child’s face.

[quote]Dr. Pangloss wrote:

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:

[/quote]

Well, obvi.

Is that it? Or is there some far more nefarious road you go down and there is no turning back?

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:

[/quote]

Well, obvi.

Is that it? Or is there some far more nefarious road you go down and there is no turning back?[/quote]

From how I read it, TH posits that a more enlightened society will put spanking on par with slavery.

[quote]batman730 wrote:

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:

[/quote]

Well, obvi.

Is that it? Or is there some far more nefarious road you go down and there is no turning back?[/quote]

From how I read it, TH posits that a more enlightened society will put spanking on par with slavery.
[/quote]
That’s how I read it, too.

But I am inclined to think a more “enlightened” society will inflict unfathomable mental cruelty on children while smugly congratulating itself on not using corporal punishment.

[quote]magick wrote:
Ok, the “getting picked last” does hurt. … But nothing you can’t get over.
[/quote]
I never found “getting picked last” to hurt. I thought it was a sensible way to try to make the teams roughly even in skill. I liked “getting picked last” a lot better than I liked getting clobbered by an opposing team full of the best athletes.

[quote]undoredo wrote:

[quote]batman730 wrote:

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:

[/quote]

Well, obvi.

[/quote]
That’s how I read it, too.

But I am inclined to think a more “enlightened” society will inflict unfathomable mental cruelty on children while smugly congratulating itself on not using corporal punishment.
[/quote]

I agree.

Also, there is always Heinlein`s theory in Starship Troopers:

Physical pain is nature`s way of teaching us what is good or bad for us.

It is kind of foolish not to use that prewired mechanism.

On the other hand I have never seen any parent using physical pain in a deliberate manner, only people losing their cool.

So, I really don`t know.

[quote]undoredo wrote:

[quote]magick wrote:
Ok, the “getting picked last” does hurt. … But nothing you can’t get over.
[/quote]
I never found “getting picked last” to hurt. I thought it was a sensible way to try to make the teams roughly even in skill. I liked “getting picked last” a lot better than I liked getting clobbered by an opposing team full of the best athletes.
[/quote]
Hmm. Maybe you need to get clobbered by an opposing team full of the best athletes once in a while, to appreciate the benefit of “getting picked last”.

[quote]magick wrote:

[quote]jbpick86 wrote:
[/quote]

You mean like showing up with a 6 foot shovel in your hand, cigarette dangling from the side of your mouth, and walking up and down the hallways banging the shovel against the lockers demanding to know who beat up your kid ?

Or threatening to kill a teacher/nun where she stood for spanking your kid so hard, he/she was bruised from butt to knee and could hardly sit (also with a cigarette dangling from the side of your mouth) ?

Not all school districts are the same. We moved from an extremely liberal style district to a conservative and the difference in how it’s ran is night and day.

[quote]StevenF wrote:
Not all school districts are the same. We moved from an extremely liberal style district to a conservative and the difference in how it’s ran is night and day.[/quote]

I’m sure your recess and gym are great…science and math courses probably not so much…

My youngest son was a frequent-flyer with the principal for getting into trouble. And he was doing normal 14 year old kid stuff. I got called in for a conference with the dean (WTF, who needs a dean in middle school??) over what amounted to him and his friends laughing over a fart joke.

If I was a new parent today, I would home school my kids. The education is watered down, there are far too many distractions as well. Gym class is a joke, we used to come out of basketball games bloody and nobody ever got upset over it. Political correctness has swung too far to the left.

We are raising kids who will not have the skills to do better than we did in life. You always want your kids to do better than you. I have definitely done better than my parents did in life. I’ll be happy if my kids eventually do simply as well as I have done.

Another thing in school… the teachers, principals and school board live in mortal fear of getting phone calls from parents and the threat of lawsuits. So they kowtow to this minority of disgruntled parents.

[quote]TooHuman wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]magick wrote:

[quote]jbpick86 wrote:
[/quote]

You should be more scared of yourself hurting your kids because once you accept physical punishment being okay there’s no turning back.[/quote]

lol, whut?

[quote]pja wrote:

[quote]StevenF wrote:
Not all school districts are the same. We moved from an extremely liberal style district to a conservative and the difference in how it’s ran is night and day.[/quote]

I’m sure your recess and gym are great…science and math courses probably not so much…[/quote]

You are aware that most of the top high school academic institutions are relatively conservative right? And even your highly liberal colleges are mostly liberal by name (because people don’t understand the labels. there is a huge ivy league conservative presence in the schools that matter because they know they will make money, they want to keep that money, and they are aware enough to know who will take it. Its the cultural issues that give them pause.

Not to pick on Em, because she’s a great sport about all this, but the idea that if you’re being targeted or get hurt during a game it’s somehow undesirable is a very female idea.

Dodgeball was exhilarating and I sucked at it. In 4th grade, I could barely lob the ball past the halfway line, but I was out there dodging balls for my life with the best of them. There was nothing better than picking up the loose ball in smear the queer and running for your life as 20 other kids were in hot pursuit. And when you got caught, you got piled on and you couldn’t breath and maybe someone stepped on your fingers, too. But you couldn’t wait to do it again.

Get physically beaten in a game in not a bad thing for most boys. It’s a very desirable part of the game.

[/quote]

Okay, fair enough. But would an analogy be the “mean girls” of middle school for females? Most of us get beaten up, figuratively speaking, but come out just fine on the other side. Others of us don’t. We all know women who can’t get along with other women due to their being, every single one but the one speaking of it, catty bitches. Something went wrong for them in middle school and instead of learning to negotiate the social and dating environment, they broke.

I think the same happens to boys. Some boys get knocked down and just stay there.

Not to change the direction of the thread to girls, but rather to question is it always good? Should there be an opt-out? Or are these boys (and girls) broken before they ever face schoolyard challenges?