The War on Boys

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]Dr. Pangloss wrote:
Get physically beaten in a game in not a bad thing for most boys. It’s a very desirable part of the game.
[/quote]

This[/quote]

Yep, its kind of fun to get hurt. When you are riding in a tube behind a boat, no one likes the riding part, its the hitting the slamming into the water that’s the awesome part. But you don’t want to jump off, you want to be physically beaten and thrown off.

If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball!

Learn to catch it, dodge it or sit through afternoon class with big red marks on your face and body. We weren’t allowed to throw at the girls, had to catch their throws to get them out.

Damn this could go to the old people lessons thread :slight_smile:

[quote]scoots2 wrote:
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball!

Learn to catch it, dodge it or sit through afternoon class with big red marks on your face and body. We weren’t allowed to throw at the girls, had to catch their throws to get them out.

Damn this could go to the old people lessons thread :)[/quote]

We actually played a variation where no one was ever really out. If you got put out, you went and stood in the “prison” behind the opposing team, then if you hit someone from there you could go back to your teams side and continue the game. Games would last a long time.

I don’t think it’s a war on boys so much as a war for “safety”.

All of these are done in the name of “safety”

Obviously the vast majority of these are going bounds beyond what seems normal, and we’ll probably see a lot of bad repercussions in the future.

[quote]magick wrote:

Obviously the vast majority of these are going bounds beyond what seems normal, and we’ll probably see a lot of bad repercussions in the future.
[/quote]

I would argue that it is a war to limit the liability of schools for bad outcomes that are natural and even expected when children interact.

[quote]magick wrote:

[/quote]

I don’t really think safety was the main concern. I think it was for “bullying” and “inclusion” because if someone is less athletic than you it isn’t polite to point it out by being more athletic than them.

[quote]jbpick86 wrote:
I don’t really think safety was the main concern. I think it was for “bullying” and “inclusion” because if someone is less athletic than you it isn’t polite to point it out by being more athletic than them. [/quote]

Safety against emotional and mental harm =P

Also what Twojarslave wrote. Though that’s more because parents are becoming worry-warts these days and scared that their precious little baby will get hurt.

[quote]magick wrote:

[quote]jbpick86 wrote:
I don’t really think safety was the main concern. I think it was for “bullying” and “inclusion” because if someone is less athletic than you it isn’t polite to point it out by being more athletic than them. [/quote]

Safety against emotional and mental harm =P

Also what Twojarslave wrote. Though that’s more because parents are becoming worry-warts these days and scared that their precious little baby will get hurt.[/quote]

Dodgeball is actually one of the safer activities from actual injury. Not from getting hurt, but from getting injured.

[quote]jbpick86 wrote:
Dodgeball is actually one of the safer activities from actual injury. Not from getting hurt, but from getting injured.
[/quote]

Ya, but people can’t seem to handle the fact that their precious baby might get “hurt” by the ball. Or can’t handle the “violence” of having balls thrown at them. Or the “mental pain” of getting picked last.

Ok, the “getting picked last” does hurt. Personal experience. But nothing you can’t get over.

In any case, I never said that their worries are legitimate- they’re really not.

But the parents are banning dodge-ball because they don’t want their children getting “hurt”. They want them to be “safe”.

[quote]StevenF wrote:
I guess smear the queer is out lol. [/quote] that will get you 3-5 for a hate crime

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:

[quote]AliveAgain36 wrote:
Human Targeting is an awesome name for dodge ball. It makes it sound even more fun.[/quote]

One of my daughters came up with “zombie apocalypse.” Basically tag, but if you get tagged, you join the hunt for “survivors.” Also run with your hands out in front of you.

She’s in kindergarten.

I thought it was awesome, but apparently other parents didn’t approve.[/quote]

That sounds awesome I’d totally play that.

[quote]magick wrote:

[quote]jbpick86 wrote:
[/quote]

Ya, but people can’t seem to handle the fact that their precious baby might get “hurt” by the ball. Or can’t handle the “violence” of having balls thrown at them. Or the “mental pain” of getting picked last.

Ok, the “getting picked last” does hurt. Personal experience. But nothing you can’t get over.

In any case, I never said that their worries are legitimate- they’re really not.

But the parents are banning dodge-ball because they don’t want their children getting “hurt”. They want them to be “safe”.[/quote]

These parents are idiots and are raising giant pansies. Boys like to hurt each other and get hurt, if they don’t they are too docile and need some toughening up and to lay off the add meds.

[quote]jbpick86 wrote:
These parents are idiots and are raising giant pansies. Boys like to hurt each other and get hurt, if they don’t they are too docile and need some toughening up and to lay off the add meds.
[/quote]

Honestly, I’m terrified of how badly my future parenting methods will conflict with the expected parenting methods of the future.

If I did what my parents did, I’d probably go to jail.

[quote]magick wrote:

[quote]jbpick86 wrote:
[/quote]

Honestly, I’m terrified of how badly my future parenting methods will conflict with the expected parenting methods of the future.

If I did what my parents did, I’d probably go to jail.[/quote]

My wife and I are hoping to have kids in the next year or two. This is probably what scares me the most.

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]magick wrote:

[quote]jbpick86 wrote:
[/quote]

My wife and I are hoping to have kids in the next year or two. This is probably what scares me the most. [/quote]

Kinda thinking that having a girl ahs made this a little easier.

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]magick wrote:

[quote]jbpick86 wrote:
[/quote]

My wife and I are hoping to have kids in the next year or two. This is probably what scares me the most. [/quote]

I would love kids in the next 5 years and I hadn’t even thought of this yet. My dad used to make wooden swords and spears so my brothers and I could fight on the front lawn. I can’t imagine that being encouraged any more…We’d fight till someone got hurt, then do again the next day.

[quote]jbpick86 wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]magick wrote:

[quote]jbpick86 wrote:
[/quote]

Kinda thinking that having a girl ahs made this a little easier. [/quote]

I’m not sure I can handle another woman in the house especially if she’s a redhead like my wife…

[quote]Roran wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]magick wrote:

[quote]jbpick86 wrote:
[/quote]

I would love kids in the next 5 years and I hadn’t even thought of this yet. My dad used to make wooden swords and spears so my brothers and I could fight on the front lawn. I can’t imagine that being encouraged any more…We’d fight till someone got hurt, then do again the next day. [/quote]

Lol, my best friend’s dad made us wooden swords to fight with when I was around 7. Tons of fun and quite painful…

[quote]Roran wrote:
I would love kids in the next 5 years and I hadn’t even thought of this yet. My dad used to make wooden swords and spears so my brothers and I could fight on the front lawn. I can’t imagine that being encouraged any more…We’d fight till someone got hurt, then do again the next day. [/quote]

My mom left me in the car when she went out for groceries!

She left me alone in the house to care for my brother when I was 10!

My brother and I used to play by shooting BB guns at each other!

We went out, ALONE, into the city to play!

It’s a fucking miracle that I’m still alive!

(Not to say that none of these can be dangerous- it’s just that they have such a low chance of being dangerous that you might as well not consider them dangerous).

[quote]EmilyQ wrote:

[quote]Aggv wrote:

[quote]pushharder wrote:
dodge ball and tag are considered ‘bullying’ or ‘human target’ games. They are banned in many states…[/quote]

please tell me this is a joke? Seriously, just lie if it isnt because i’d like to keep my faith in humanity at least til the news at 6. [/quote]

On the other hand, I loathed games like dodgeball. It’s difficult to see how having my bigger, stronger classmates throw hard balls at me broadened my knowledge base at all. It wasn’t a huge deal emotionally for me since I was a girl, but I would imagine that small, nerdy boys were tortured. It should not be a part of P.E. curriculum, it should be left for recess and let kids choose whether to participate.[/quote]

We played variations of doge ball all the time, and it was understood who wanted to played, and who was “playing so they dont fined”. The gym teacher knew this, and he never said anything when those kids who dint want to play gave themselves up, we toss them the ball, theyd catch it, and they would say “darn im out” and run the sideline to chat about god knows what, and the game went on. They got to “participate” and the kids who wanted to play got to play. win-win for everybody imho.

I dont buy into the logic of “get your ass beat for motivation to be stronger” That logic does not work anymore with pussy ass kids being raised by pussy parents.