The War Of The Worlds Is Here!

I don’t know about you guys…but I’m a Sci-Fi FANATIC!

I can’t tell you how excited I am about Steven Speilberg’s “War of the Worlds” coming this summer (starring Tom Cruise).

This can be done great…or it can be sort of a disappoinment (like Alien vs. Predator)…but this is Spielberg…and history has shown that he tends to “get it right”.

Here is the official site:

(Note…this is an “Apple/MAC” oriented site…so I’m still trying to figure out some of the downloads and playback…but it still gives you a complete synopsis and insights into the picture…)

ENJOY!

Mufasa

I loved reading War of the Worlds, and, I agree Spielberg knows how to make movies, especially ones requiring near epic proportions.

However, I find myself a bit wary of any project involving Tom Cruise. I don’t know what it is but I’ve never much liked him or his performances. Some of his older stuff was admitedly better though(A Few Good Men, Top Gun, Mission Impossible) then more recent pieces(even Mission Impossible 2) but still not high on my mental list of favoured actors.

Who knows, perhaps Spielberg will be able to draw from him a performance worthy of the story being told. I was quite suprised(pleasantly) by the performances in Saving Private Ryan of actors who I previously would not have thought to cast in those roles(Tom Hanks, Matt Daymon, Ted Danson).

Good points, MK:

If I’m not mistaken, this ended up being sort of a “joint” project for both Cruise and Speilberg…

I think that Speilberg (by his track record alone) most likely could have pulled this off WITHOUT Cruise…but Cruise has the “marquee” status to place this picture’s earnings into the the statosphere (which is a main objective of a “Summer Blockbuster”…)

It should be a VERY interesting film, especially as one compares it with the Paramount original…

Mufasa

Here is a synopsis of the 1953 original film:

http://www.war-ofthe-worlds.co.uk/waroftheworldsmovie.htm

TILL THIS DAY, the look, feel and sound of that “Manta Ray” looking War Machine, coming out of a cloud of gas is chilling…

(Rent the original if you haven’t seen it…I own it and plan to see it again before this new release…)

Mufasa

[quote]Moon Knight wrote:

Who knows, perhaps Spielberg will be able to draw from him a performance worthy of the story being told. I was quite suprised(pleasantly) by the performances in Saving Private Ryan of actors who I previously would not have thought to cast in those roles(Tom Hanks, Matt Daymon, Ted Danson).[/quote]

I don’t know why you have such little faith in Spielberg or Cruise, especially since Minority Report still stands as a good sci fi movie that outdid many expectations. I don’t have anything against Tom Cruise, but I do admit that I am not a “fan”. I am a fan to actors like Bruce Willis, Samuel L. Jackson, and Denzel Washington…mostly because they offer performances that become classics and not just movies. People like Brad Pitt, Cruise, and Collin Farrel all seem to fall into that “other” category where it depends much more on the script and the director. With that in mind though, Spielberg deserves credit for countless times of getting it right. I’ll go see this simply because his name is under the title.

I agree, Prof…

Again…most likely Speilberg could have pulled this off with just about ANY actor…but Cruise gives it that added financial “ummmph!!!”

(“Minority Report”, in my view, WAS top notch!)

Mufasa

I truly enjoyed Minority Report and I would include it as one of Tom Cruise’s better movies. However, I still am not terribly impressed by him, even in his best movies. At best he’s decent in some roles.

“Minority Report” was good because it was written by Philip K. Dick. If you get a chance, read something of his!

I recall reading somewhere that this is going to be most expensive movie ever made. Looking forward to it.

[quote]campdirector wrote:
“Minority Report” was good because it was written by Philip K. Dick. If you get a chance, read something of his![/quote]

do androids dream of electric sheep…?

(i.e. blade runner. ridley scott)

[quote]Mufasa wrote:
IHere is the official site:

(Note…this is an “Apple/MAC” oriented site…so I’m still trying to figure out some of the downloads and playback…but it still gives you a complete synopsis and insights into the picture…)
[/quote]
The whole thing is done in Flash… how is that “Apple/Mac” oriented?

However, I find myself a bit wary of any project involving Tom Cruise. I don’t know what it is but I’ve never much liked him or his performances. Some of his older stuff was admitedly better though(A Few Good Men, Top Gun, Mission Impossible) then more recent pieces(even Mission Impossible 2) but still not high on my mental list of favoured actors.
[/quote]

What about The Last Samurai, Minority Report, Jerry Maguire, Interview with the Vampire, Born on the 4th of July, or Rainman? IMO, Tom Cruise has had a history of making some good movies and he seems to be a pretty good actor to me. I guess this is going to be subjective based on individual preference, tastes, etc. I think he’s just getting his stride now in his career and is the perfect person for an epic film.

Randman, the ones I listed were examples, though, I’d hardly include The Last Samurai, Interview with the Vampire, or even Jerry Maguire, in the same breath as Rainman or Born on the Fourth of July.

I think we also need to make a distinction between Cruise being in good movies, and his having strongly contributed to a movie’s quality.

War of the Worlds 1 was such a great movie. I am looking forward to this remake.

I watched Manchurian Candidate and thought the second version didn’t have a chance. I was wrong it was excellent.

skrying:

My bad…

Earlier in the day, the downloading of the site was VERY slow (even though I have High Speed Internet)…then I got confused by all the Download options…(that included MAC and PC…)

Geez…
Anyway…I’m not all that computer sauvy, got confused by the slow downlaod,and spoke incorrectly…

The link and site is cool, though…

It should be fun to also watch how this film fairs against the last installment of “Star Wars” (in dollar amounts)…I’ll see if I can find out how their release dates coincide…

Mufasa

Okay…

They will open almost 1 month apart…

“Star Wars” on May 19th…

“The War of the Worlds” on June 29…

Mufasa

Randman, the ones I listed were examples, though, I’d hardly include The Last Samurai, Interview with the Vampire, or even Jerry Maguire, in the same breath as Rainman or Born on the Fourth of July.

I think we also need to make a distinction between Cruise being in good movies, and his having strongly contributed to a movie’s quality.[/quote]

Jerry Maguire? He rocked in Jerry Maguire. I guess we will agree to disagree.

I went to the site and it looks like shit to me.

1. The story concept of aliens attacking was really original and cool back in 1898 when Wells wrote it. It just barely still worked when Orsen Welles tricked people into thinking it was really happening in the 1930’s. But today it’s pretty much completely dated and totally unoriginal in every possible respect.

2. IMO, Cruise is good at playing an asshole and that’s about it. It looks like this movie will require people to feel sympathy for his character and as such it will bomb the way Eyes Wide Shut did.

Of course I’m sure they will hype it enough to make a profit.

Hey…

What about the “Cruise Original”…

“Risky Buisness”?

LOL!

I think that he’ll fit just fine in the “War…” role…

Mufasa

I’m no Cruise fan but I think he has improved as an actor, eg Collateral and The Last Samurai.

Fans of War of the Worlds should check out the 70’s rock opera version. Richard Burton and blazing guitars!