The Vets' Greatest Gains

[quote]Professor X wrote:

I’m dieting. Fat kids are out of the question…aside from Thursdays and Sundays according to CT. That means, yes, the population of fat kids will grow slightly for about the next three-four months or so or at least until I bring sexy back.[/quote]

This post made me LOL. X showing a little sense of humor, let us know when sexy is officially back.

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:
bond james bond wrote:
Frosted flakes WTF? I got a buddy that works at kelloggs and he told me that whenever they get an order for frosted flakes to go to the states the recipe requires them to double the sugar…nothing else,just sugar.I guess America likes sugar…alot.

This is probably pretty weird, but I add sugar to my PWO shakes in lieu of buying waxy maize, dextrose, etc. I haven’t noticed any difference.[/quote]

Hersheyâ??s Chocolate syrup?

[quote]countingbeans wrote:
LankyMofo wrote:
bond james bond wrote:
Frosted flakes WTF? I got a buddy that works at kelloggs and he told me that whenever they get an order for frosted flakes to go to the states the recipe requires them to double the sugar…nothing else,just sugar.I guess America likes sugar…alot.

This is probably pretty weird, but I add sugar to my PWO shakes in lieu of buying waxy maize, dextrose, etc. I haven’t noticed any difference.

Hersheyâ??s Chocolate syrup?[/quote]

Back when I still used Grow! whey for part of my PWO shake, I mixed it 1/2 milk, 1/2 water and added Hershey’s Syrup for flavor. Sugar is sugar.

[quote]countingbeans wrote:
LankyMofo wrote:
bond james bond wrote:

This is probably pretty weird, but I add sugar to my PWO shakes in lieu of buying waxy maize, dextrose, etc. I haven’t noticed any difference.

Hersheyâ??s Chocolate syrup?[/quote]

Straight white sugar.

I don’t do any of that brown sugar nonsense. I’m a racist!

I do 2 scoops of malto+ 2 scoops of whey, mostly because I don’t want to eat right after training. This way, I can postpone that meal by an hour or so, get a shower and a cup of coffee first.

Mr.Purple wrote:
LankyMofo wrote:
bond james bond wrote:

One of the biggest guys at my gym has never even heard of the concept post-workout nutrition. He just goes home and eats something, a lot of something. Go figure.

That’s all I do. Was there something more I’m missing?[/quote]

PX, no shake during and/or after you train?

[quote]phatkins187 wrote:
Professor X wrote:
Mr.Purple wrote:
LankyMofo wrote:
bond james bond wrote:

One of the biggest guys at my gym has never even heard of the concept post-workout nutrition. He just goes home and eats something, a lot of something. Go figure.

That’s all I do. Was there something more I’m missing?

PX, no shake during and/or after you train?[/quote]

If I drank a protein shake during training I would vomit. I also have no appetite for about 30min after training either. I just make sure I get some food down after training and have done that since I was a newbie. It obviously worked.

I think some of you are more caught up in trying to be “perfect” than understanding the basics. Your body needs fuel. Whether that fuel is specifically “5.5% this and 86.4% that” isn’t as important as the act itself.

Being that specific may be necessary for someone trying to hit their best shape on stage during a contest diet. When your goal is gaining that initial base of size, getting those calories in and refueling your body should be the main goal.

I think some of you are more caught up in trying to be “perfect” than understanding the basics. Your body needs fuel. Whether that fuel is specifically “5.5% this and 86.4% that” isn’t as important as the act itself.

Being that specific may be necessary for someone trying to hit their best shape on stage during a contest diet. When your goal is gaining that initial base of size, getting those calories in and refueling your body should be the main goal.[/quote]

So are you condoning eating a burger, fries, and a chocolate shake post workout??? :wink:

(mmmm, that gives me ideas for what to eat after I go to the gym tonight…mmmmmmmm, burger and a shake)

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
Prof X lifts cars, eats children, and then hibernates all winter long.

[/quote]

Prof X doesn’t use anaesthetic, he just flexes his bicep and people pass out in fear.

phatkins187 wrote:
Professor X wrote:
Mr.Purple wrote:
LankyMofo wrote:
bond james bond wrote:

That’s all I do. Was there something more I’m missing?

PX, no shake during and/or after you train?

If I drank a protein shake during training I would vomit. I also have no appetite for about 30min after training either. I just make sure I get some food down after training and have done that since I was a newbie. It obviously worked.

Being that specific may be necessary for someone trying to hit their best shape on stage during a contest diet. When your goal is gaining that initial base of size, getting those calories in and refueling your body should be the main goal.[/quote]

Yeah I’ve experimented extensively. I’ve tried a quick digesting sugar like O.J. followed by a protein shake & then a pound of steak about 30 minutes after and on the opposite end of the spectrum I go home after working out, eat a half pound of pasta, followed by a pound of steak. I gain more weight with the pasta so I stick to that.

[quote]bond james bond wrote:
Frosted flakes WTF? I got a buddy that works at kelloggs and he told me that whenever they get an order for frosted flakes to go to the states the recipe requires them to double the sugar…nothing else,just sugar.I guess America likes sugar…alot.[/quote]

One of the world’s best natural bodybuilders named Jeff Willet has frosted flakes for breakfast every morning.He has mentioned it several times in his blog he use to do.

People get caught up with what foods are good for this and good for that. Just eat! I will say the only time u should be counting calories and weighing food is if u are a top bodybuilder or u are trying to get into contest condition.

i mess w/ a peri-work out drink of waxie + BCAA’s + gatorade.

creatine, beta-alanine, arginine, vit C are all pre and post so not needed peri.

as modok said, most things will be rejected or just sit during workouts, gut function takes a back seat to not being crushed in terms of biological imperative.

Stu’s pop tart thing is sweeping the nation (sometimes post workout the idea of more drink gatorade/waxie/whatever is a real bitch) 2 pt’s = 75g of simple carb PWO and your protein shake and your good, shower and cook a steak and veggies thereafter.

i’m not a vet either, 3yrs of solid training and “studying” makes me still new, humble, but hungry.

Sometimes all you really need is a simple change. If what you’re doing is not yielding the results you want, you may not always need the latest cutting edge supplement.

In my case, as silly as a bowl of sugar cereal or a poptart sounds, the fact that I was suddenly ingesting simple carbs with whey within like 5 minutes of finishing my workout made a huge difference because obviously (in my case) waiting around a while, and ‘eventually’ finding ‘something’ to eat in my folks’ kitchen wasn’t making me look like Yates.

S

Pop tarts lol ?

Nice might have some of them so after i workout instead of horrible dextrose crap i bought with the whey !

hmm I agree with the idea training on empty stomach… I need at least 2 hours before I hit the gym after a meal. Also, realised that after training I need some time before I drink that shake (usually 30-40 gr whey and 40-50 gr dextrose) because if I drink it right after, then there’s a chance to vomitabit… My brother is quite the opposite, he eats a huge load of rice 10-20 minutes before gym, drinks a large shake (50 gr whey, 50 gr dextrose) and immediately eats a huge load of pasta…

Works for him, though… but how on earth can he eat that much with weighing 150 lbs? I think that what most of those “hard gainers” miss, bunch of carbs, not that “chicken with lettuce” kind of diet…

Hey mighty stu, three of us asked you about fish oil timing. Why no response?

There is a pro in my gym who puts pop tarts in his protein shake…What does that do besides restoring your glycogen levels?

_ Adam

[quote]SmallToBig wrote:
Pop tarts lol ?

Nice might have some of them so after i workout instead of horrible dextrose crap i bought with the whey ![/quote]

[quote]adamhum wrote:
There is a pro in my gym who puts pop tarts in his protein shake…What does that do besides restoring your glycogen levels?

_ Adam

SmallToBig wrote:
Pop tarts lol ?

Nice might have some of them so after i workout instead of horrible dextrose crap i bought with the whey !

[/quote]

Assuming he crumbles it up and puts it in there? Probably makes it easier to injest right after working out. Plus it will make the shake taste better. I put some leftover birthday cake in mine for about a week. Coconut cake with my choclate protein shake = awesome.

If you use a hand mixer you can just drop it in and zip it to liquid…

A buddy of mine who wrestles for Army(and is one of the biggest/leanest guys I know) always eats 2 hot pockets after weight training, usually with some raw milk. Go figure? Like Prof. X said I guess food is food post workout.