The Verdict: Liddell VS Jackson

one of the things worth mentioning is chins, very important in the sport of boxing, out of all of chucks last opponents , only tito had a chin, ranato b is a great grappler, but his chin is made of paper, randy is also a great wrestler, and has great cardio, did some boxing in the military, he hits like a welterweigt and also has a weak chin,

he did get a thumb in the eye during his second fight, jermy horn, he landed many good leg kicks and punches during their second fight proving chuck is a bad defensive stricker, however, jh has no power, and should go down to middle wieght, look at his body at 205, also his chin was overrated, tio was the only one with a chin and he was scared of lydell

This is a really interesting thread. Personally, I’ve got it 50-50 as well. Both are at the top of their game, and we can go over all the rationalizations (I’ve got mine as well), but I’m not making any predictions whatsoever this time given recent fight histories. The last two times I did that I was proven wrong in the most dramatic way possible.

I like both fighters a lot, so I’m just hoping for a good war. If it ends early I’m going to be disappointed. I want to see what both fighter can do with an A game tonight.

some of u are making chuck lydell into a MMA verson of mike tyson, he has been beating guys so easily and and his power is so great no one can last against him, hopefully jackson will not be scared of the and fall for the mike tyson syndrome of fear that tito fell to, as far as what chuck has improved on in the last 4 years, him takedown defence fof sure,

hopefully jackson will not try to take him down unless he hurts him, his cardio, and his side to side movement, he uses that mainly to ward off takedown attempts from grapplers, i always wanted to see lydell tested, hopefully he will be tonight, if jackson is not washed up, thats the key, if the jackson of 2003 comes in, lydell is in for a fight, something his last 6 oppenents(exp for tiger white) have failed in

I got Jackson for the victory.

Jackson has a very good defense for Liddell’s punches. He tucks his chin in and covers his head with his mid-forearms to elbows very well. Whereas other fighters seem to use mid-forearms to wrists/hands to block. He also moves forward in his blocking which gave Liddell issues in being to close in range for his looping punches.

Along with his blocking in the first fight, he seemed to counter the counter puncher Liddell very well. As Jackson as said before, he hates being hit and beat Liddell to the punch while Liddell was trying to land combinations.

I don’t see much change in Liddell’s game. He used broken rhythm footwork in his second fight with Couture to break up the timing of punches and to get better angles for his own punches. But I don’t see this working on Jackson’s arm-blocking defense.

I see this fight with Jackson pushing the pace (kicks to set things up), getting inside Liddell’s punching range, and countering Liddell’s combinations by beating him to the punch.

As with Liddell’s last few fights, this one will be standing battle. But with Jackson winning the fight. This could be the first fight where Liddell is K.O.'d on his feet.

[quote]Mick28 wrote:

First, Jackson looked like crap in his first fight in the UFC, and that was against a nobody.
[/quote]

Marvin Eastman isn’t exactly a nobody, and I don’t see how he looked like crap. He was hesitant and admitted to being nervous, but he owned Beastman and knocked him the fuck out.

Quinton made his name in King of the Cage, and certainly knows how to use it. If anything he had to learn how to adapt his style to the ring. His slams are tailor made for cage fighting.

Quinton is fighting for the same exact title. Once the cage door is shut, the title is no one’s but whoever walks out the winner. Beating Chuck would make Quinton a mega star, and he damn well knows it. And if you are referring to Pride with your Japanese remarks, you should remember that for 6 years Pride was the biggest damn show in the world.

While UFC was doing 100,000 PPV buys and fighting for it’s existence, Quinton was fighting in front of 50,000 screaming fans in Saitama Arena on fights shown live for free on network TV to millions in Asia and Europe.

[quote]Donut62 wrote:
Mick28 wrote:

First, Jackson looked like crap in his first fight in the UFC, and that was against a nobody.

Marvin Eastman isn’t exactly a nobody, and I don’t see how he looked like crap. He was hesitant and admitted to being nervous, but he owned Beastman and knocked him the fuck out.

Second, while you may not think it, fighting in a cage is not like fighting in a ring. Rampage has learned to use the ring to his advantage. The octagon favors Liddell who has fought there many times.

Quinton made his name in King of the Cage, and certainly knows how to use it. If anything he had to learn how to adapt his style to the ring. His slams are tailor made for cage fighting.

Third, Liddell is fighting for his title. It’s not some arbitrary fight in Japan. It’s for the UFC light heavyweight title. And it’s being fought in the USA and watched by many.

Quinton is fighting for the same exact title. Once the cage door is shut, the title is no one’s but whoever walks out the winner. Beating Chuck would make Quinton a mega star, and he damn well knows it. And if you are referring to Pride with your Japanese remarks, you should remember that for 6 years Pride was the biggest damn show in the world.

While UFC was doing 100,000 PPV buys and fighting for it’s existence, Quinton was fighting in front of 50,000 screaming fans in Saitama Arena on fights shown live for free on network TV to millions in Asia and Europe.

[/quote]

50,000 people on the inside. not counting the thousands who couldn’t get in but still hung around outside just to catch a glimpse of these guys.

To them the UFC getting control of MMA is like the NFL becoming defunct and all the football players end up playing rugby overseas.

…anyway.

Everyone WANTS Rampage to win.

we’ll see what happens :slight_smile:

What time does the fight start(It is tonight right).

yes it is and seems to have captured some attention since Rampage is from Pr1de fighting and he may present a good matchup for Chuck

DAMN CHUCK YOU GOT KNOCKED THE FUUUUCCCCKKKK OUUUTTT!!!

This is the most satisfied I have been in a long time from a UFC card. Probably because this is first main event I have picked correctly for quite some time :slight_smile:

Very dissappointed in the match. Not that I didn’t think Quinton could win again, but I expected a better fight. Chuck lasted better in there first match up. However, that is what I love about MMA. Anyone can win anytime. It makes it exciting.

[quote]snipeout wrote:
DAMN CHUCK YOU GOT KNOCKED THE FUUUUCCCCKKKK OUUUTTT!!![/quote]

What a rip off. We need another free rematch just like with the Shamrock vs Ortiz fights.

Im very happy with the outcome, now all I need to see is Cro-cop come back and win the heavyweight title, and maybe this year wont be as upset as it is now.

[quote]John S. wrote:
Im very happy with the outcome, now all I need to see is Cro-cop come back and win the heavyweight title, and maybe this year wont be as upset as it is now.[/quote]

You and me,brother. Iceman was melted tonight.

i did not expect it to end so quickly either, but as i said in my earlier threads, chuck has not really went against anyone with any kind of power in the last three years

tito had a right hand, but he backed up after landing it allowing ch to recover and he was very scared in his last fight, vernon wh, actually rocked lydell with a combo and forced ch to go for the takedown, he then recovered and stood back up and did defeat vernon wh by kockout

jackson seemed tentative at first, but ch has NO DEFENCE AS A BOXER, HIS ONLY DEFENCE WAS HIS CHIN,which other weaker punchers hit but could not hurt him, rampage timed his looping left with a right hook similar to the punch holyfeild used to use, it was fast and it had power behind it

I WAS ONLY ONE OF 3 AT THE WHOLE BAR WHO WAS BELIVED THAT CHUCK HAD NOT BEEN TESTED IN HIS SINCE LOOSING TO JACKSON 4 YERS AGO

[quote]Donut62 wrote:
This is the most satisfied I have been in a long time from a UFC card. Probably because this is first main event I have picked correctly for quite some time :)[/quote]

I was also damned glad to see Keith “I’m pissed I have to fight this scrub” Jardine get knocked out. Anything can happen in a fight. Anyone at the professional level who thinks he’s too good to fight deserves to suck on some canvass.

[quote]johnny_law wrote:
snipeout wrote:
DAMN CHUCK YOU GOT KNOCKED THE FUUUUCCCCKKKK OUUUTTT!!!

What a rip off. We need another free rematch just like with the Shamrock vs Ortiz fights.
[/quote]

Another free rematch? why? cause Chuck got laid out? I guess for Chuck we can just keep extending it to a best out of 5, or even 7, series if he loses again.

The consensus i heard prior to the fight was that to beat Liddell one had to bring the fight to him. Jackson did it once, twice… time to put it to rest. I think Jackson can be taken apart (ala Silva) by someone with good technical skills. INteresting that Pride didnt see fit to provide Jackson the money he wanted.