T Nation

The USA Needs a Prime Directive

The present USA Foriegn Policy is a complete failure. I can’t begin to express my displeasure and total annoyance. At the lack of self control the USA government shows when dealing with foriegn countries.

Canada is a democratic country. We believe in freedom and the right to vote. We support the fight for democracy at every corner. Usually with the support of peasekeepers and diplomatic pressure. Not a huge role, but a consistant one.

So my beef is why does the USA government still feel the need to control our destiny. Every time our government attempts to or only decides to look at the matter of legalizing Marijuana. The USA government sends it’s goon squad to intimidate our givernment.

Now maybe our politicians are weak. That is beside the point. The point is that the USA should do on to others as they wish to have done on to them. I’m thinking the world would be better off with the USA minding their own affairs. The rest of us can take care of ourselves. Thanks all the same.

In retrospect, you are a good neighbor. Let us remember however that good neighbors mind their own business. So if you wouldn’t mind writing your congress and expressing these views it would be greatly appreciated. We can even work out a reduced rate on our imports to your country. In the name of good neighbors.

Was this your little set up by any chance?

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/cbc/080922/canada/ottawa_ot_growop080922_1

Just seemed like a huge coincidence…

I imagine the title of this thread is attributed to the convention used by the “Federation Star Fleet” in the Star Trek series.

Their prime directive was to not interfere with other civilizations. The ironic thing is that series was all about interfering but trying not to get caught interfering.

Is that what you would rather the US government do? be sneaky and not blatant?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXs_Z64ec0U

The war on drugs is a 69 billion dollar a year business. Marijuana use accounts for 85% of all illegal drug use. If Canada legalized marijuana it would show the people in the US that the sky isn’t falling and the huge profits for legal MJ. More people in the US would want MJ legalized, therefor pretty much ending the drug war and the paychecks of those that profit from it. Marijuana prohibition started at the end of alcohol prohibition so those alcohol enforcement officers could keep their jobs chasing something else.

[quote]LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
I imagine the title of this thread is attributed to the convention used by the “Federation Star Fleet” in the Star Trek series.

Their prime directive was to not interfere with other civilizations. The ironic thing is that series was all about interfering but trying not to get caught interfering.

Is that what you would rather the US government do? be sneaky and not blatant?[/quote]

Not quite - the Star Fleet Prime Directive is about non-interference in cultures which haven’t developed far enough to have warp-drive. Other highly developed ones are fair game.

Wait - did I just write that? Damn…

[/geek mode]

Makkun

[quote]makkun wrote:
LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:

Not quite - the Star Fleet Prime Directive is about non-interference in cultures which haven’t developed far enough to have warp-drive. Other highly developed ones are fair game.

[/geek mode]

Makkun[/quote]

So?

Does Canada have the warp-drive?

[quote]orion wrote:
makkun wrote:
LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:

[/geek mode]

Makkun

So?

[/quote]

Well, they’ve got Streamline - he’s speedy and this thread is slightly warped.

Makkun

I’m all for legalizing weed. Then tax it like they do booze and cigarettes and make us some money. We need it! Shit! We’re broke bitch!

Were you guys not born with balls? If we are pressuring you tell us to fuck off. How hard is that? I disagree with prohibition, but don’t whine to me about your propensity to cave to pressure. Two words would work “Fuck You” Really, what would the U.S. do? Put you on the terrorist nation list?

I was going to say what pat said. But now I can’t say that because that jerk pat beat me to it. So I’ll just say this:

My mom is good friends with the director of the local NORML chapter.

[quote]pat wrote:
Were you guys not born with balls? If we are pressuring you tell us to fuck off. How hard is that? I disagree with prohibition, but don’t whine to me about your propensity to cave to pressure. Two words would work “Fuck You” Really, what would the U.S. do? Put you on the terrorist nation list?[/quote]

Our picture on a deck of cards at least, I would hope.

I totally agree. Our politicians are a bunch wet diapers. That being the case. I though I’d be forth coming and ask you all directly to lobby your congress on our behalf. It would be greatly appreciated and as stated before. A deal could be worked out. A little back scratching, if you know what I mean.

Rule number one. Don’t piss off the guy with the nukes!

[quote]ALDurr wrote:
I’m all for legalizing weed. Then tax it like they do booze and cigarettes and make us some money. We need it! Shit! We’re broke bitch![/quote]

I fail to understand why the governments of our two great nations, don’t see this for the cash cow it is. Of course that would be making money(governments don’t do that)and not spending money (we know all about that one).

[quote]orion wrote:
makkun wrote:
LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:

[/geek mode]

Makkun

So?

[/quote]

No but they do have Romulan weed that will leave you Chinese eyed.

[quote]Sifu wrote:
orion wrote:
makkun wrote:
LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:

[/geek mode]

Makkun

So?

No but they do have Romulan weed that will leave you Chinese eyed.[/quote]

Damn. Phaser those bastards!

Or else they will grow plants!

In the ground!

Unapologetically!

[quote]streamline wrote:
So my beef is why does the USA government still feel the need to control our destiny. Every time our government attempts to or only decides to look at the matter of legalizing Marijuana. The USA government sends it’s goon squad to intimidate our givernment.
[/quote]

Just be grateful you’re Canada and not Colombia. The US military has little regard for bombing people with yellow skin for the same trifle.

The US Drug Czar wants to have a seed producer in BC extradited to the US to be brought up on drug dealing charges. The seed dealer was threatened with a possible death penalty judgement…only in the US would your liberty and life be taken in the name of altering your mind with a plant compound.

[quote]ALDurr wrote:
I’m all for legalizing weed. Then tax it like they do booze and cigarettes and make us some money. We need it! Shit! We’re broke bitch![/quote]

Not just that, but overall price would go down. Even with tax, making it in mass quantities should theoretically drive the price down a LOT.

I don’t know about the US, but here weed is more expensive than gold ($/kg).

[quote]pat wrote:
Were you guys not born with balls? If we are pressuring you tell us to fuck off. How hard is that? I disagree with prohibition, but don’t whine to me about your propensity to cave to pressure. Two words would work “Fuck You” Really, what would the U.S. do? Put you on the terrorist nation list?[/quote]

It isn’t about the weed smoking, its about bringing down the paper companies with cheap hemp paper. Hemp grows like a fucking weed (lol), is environmentally awesome, and is a great material for paper.

That’s what legalizing it, to me, is about.

That said, I smoke weed on occasion, and have hugged a cop in NYC about three minutes after finishing my blunt. Quite possibly one of the dumbest things I’ve ever done, but also a great story :smiley:

Marijuana should be legalized. “Drug busts” for weed are fucking stupid. What a waste of money.

[quote]Makavali wrote:
ALDurr wrote:
I’m all for legalizing weed. Then tax it like they do booze and cigarettes and make us some money. We need it! Shit! We’re broke bitch!

Not just that, but overall price would go down. Even with tax, making it in mass quantities should theoretically drive the price down a LOT.

I don’t know about the US, but here weed is more expensive than gold ($/kg).[/quote]

Even with the reduced price. The money that would be made in taxes is staggering. I also doubt the government would let the price fall to much. They would justify a higher price by calling it a deterrent. Either way it’s in the Billions.