The Ultimate Holiday?

I am having a couple of months off in September and October.

I am planning on going to Japan and training (judo), try and learn the language etc.

I can plan my two months however I want, and I definitely want to spend at least one month in Japan, so my question is this, where would you go if you had a free month for the ultimate holiday/good time? The only restriction would be that you were on a budget - you have about 3000-4000 Australian dollars for that month.

This could get interesting…

California and Calgary.

What’s there?

Japan is a complex and interesting culture, and the language reflects that. If you have the time and money, I’d invest it in staying there the whole time. You’ll learn more in every sense, and have more to take away again.

Makkun

[quote]Ciz wrote:
What’s there?[/quote]

Muscle Beach and I’ve been told that some gorgeous women reside in the Calgary area.

With that budget - Costa Rica - 1 week was not enough.

Or maybe Eastern Europe - I’ve not really explored that. Plus side, I’ve been told there are plenty of beautiful women (doesn’t help me at all, but good for you).

If you’re going to Japan and plan on seeing the country, get a JR (Japan Rail) Tourist Shinkansen (Bullet train) pass BEFORE you go. You have to apply for this from your home country…can’t do it once you’ve reached Japan. This pass is an unbelievable deal, as it allows you to ride the bullet train as much as you want for periods of one or two weeks. Without exaggeration, this pass could save you thousands of dollars.

I’d also second spending the entire time seeing Japan, but if you’re eager for something different you might try Okinawa. Yes, Okinawa is “technically” Japan, but it has a distinct culture. The flight there from Tokyo might set you back 300-500 dollars, depending on the season, but once you’re in Okinawa the prices of everything are about 35% cheaper than mainland Japan.

Some selling points of Okinawa:
-If you don’t look like army the people are incredibly friendly
-The food is great
-I’ve traveled the world and the Okinawan beaches rival the best that Australia, New Caledonia or Tahiti have to offer. Jaw-droppingly gorgeous
-If you want nightlife Naha has some great clubs, but its easy to escape into a more rural setting.

Otherwise, you could try South-east Asia. In a country like Vietnam or Laos 3000-4000 dollars will go a long, LONG way. I’ve been to both and they’re incredible.

As far as the language goes, get started now. If you’re in a serious dojo the instructor isn’t going to make an effort to communicate with you in English. I recommend the Pimsleur series. There are three levels, each one with 30, 30 minute lessons. You do one a day, ie: it takes 3 months of finish the series. Get through these and you’ll be communicative by the time you get here.

I just read about this place called the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands. It’s about a 4 hour flight from Japan. From what I read there are tons of asian women who go there on vacation and are looking to hook-up. I’m going to look into this place for my next vacation.

Switzerland.

or

Anywhere warm really. I really need a vacation.

I’d spend my time/money visiting some of the national parks in the U.S. first. I want to do more hiking in Glacier, Rocky Mountain National Park, Teutons, some more in the smokey mountains, hit up Alaska, maybe even the porkies in upper Michigan because I haven’t had time to hike them yet.

[quote]jchenky wrote:
Switzerland. [/quote]

Great place to be I’ve been told. The summer is warm too :wink:

[quote]jchenky wrote:
Switzerland.

or

Anywhere warm really. I really need a vacation.[/quote]

shit…don’t we all??

I never been to Japan, but what others told me, they wish they had stayed longer. So listen to these people and stay in Japan!

orgy for me at a 5 star resort on a tropical island.

[quote]swissrugby67 wrote:
jchenky wrote:
Switzerland.

[/quote]

That’s what they told me when I moved to Germany. I moved from Vegas - I’m mightily disappointed.

[quote]nvh95 wrote:
swissrugby67 wrote:
jchenky wrote:
Switzerland.

That’s what they told me when I moved to Germany. I moved from Vegas - I’m mightily disappointed.[/quote]

Being from Germany, I can confirm that you received some bad advice there. :wink:

But then - I moved to the UK for the food and the weather…

Makkun

[quote]PimpBot5000 wrote:
If you’re going to Japan and plan on seeing the country, get a JR (Japan Rail) Tourist Shinkansen (Bullet train) pass BEFORE you go. You have to apply for this from your home country…can’t do it once you’ve reached Japan. This pass is an unbelievable deal, as it allows you to ride the bullet train as much as you want for periods of one or two weeks. Without exaggeration, this pass could save you thousands of dollars.

I’d also second spending the entire time seeing Japan, but if you’re eager for something different you might try Okinawa. Yes, Okinawa is “technically” Japan, but it has a distinct culture. The flight there from Tokyo might set you back 300-500 dollars, depending on the season, but once you’re in Okinawa the prices of everything are about 35% cheaper than mainland Japan.

Some selling points of Okinawa:
-If you don’t look like army the people are incredibly friendly
-The food is great
-I’ve traveled the world and the Okinawan beaches rival the best that Australia, New Caledonia or Tahiti have to offer. Jaw-droppingly gorgeous
-If you want nightlife Naha has some great clubs, but its easy to escape into a more rural setting.

Otherwise, you could try South-east Asia. In a country like Vietnam or Laos 3000-4000 dollars will go a long, LONG way. I’ve been to both and they’re incredible.

As far as the language goes, get started now. If you’re in a serious dojo the instructor isn’t going to make an effort to communicate with you in English. I recommend the Pimsleur series. There are three levels, each one with 30, 30 minute lessons. You do one a day, ie: it takes 3 months of finish the series. Get through these and you’ll be communicative by the time you get here.
[/quote]

I will be training at the Kodokan in Tokyo (beginner international students). I was thinking of learning the language when I am there as I will be immersed in it (would definitely be good to know some before hand though, maybe I should do a short introductory course here first).

Seen as its a two month holiday, I don’t mind training for 4-6 weeks, I would just like to spend a week or two at the end of the holiday relaxing, so somewhere warm with a beach, where everyone is having fun. Would Okinawa be warm in October?

[quote]swissrugby67 wrote:
Ciz wrote:
What’s there?

Muscle Beach and I’ve been told that some gorgeous women reside in the Calgary area.

[/quote]

Isn’t Calgary cold? I would ideally like to spend the extra time somewhere relaxing and having fun, somewhere warm in October would be good! I’m all for the girls though!

[quote]waldo21212 wrote:
I just read about this place called the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands. It’s about a 4 hour flight from Japan. From what I read there are tons of asian women who go there on vacation and are looking to hook-up. I’m going to look into this place for my next vacation.[/quote]

What’s the weather like in October?

[quote]makkun wrote:
nvh95 wrote:
swissrugby67 wrote:
jchenky wrote:
Switzerland.

That’s what they told me when I moved to Germany. I moved from Vegas - I’m mightily disappointed.

Being from Germany, I can confirm that you received some bad advice there. :wink:

But then - I moved to the UK for the food and the weather…

Makkun[/quote]

Haha. Now THAT qualifies as advice rape.

To be honest, ain’t nothing like bangers and mash with a good ol’ onion gravy. Hmmmmmmmmmmm.

I’ll have a pint of Greene King IPA with that!

[quote]Ciz wrote:
waldo21212 wrote:
I just read about this place called the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands. It’s about a 4 hour flight from Japan. From what I read there are tons of asian women who go there on vacation and are looking to hook-up. I’m going to look into this place for my next vacation.

What’s the weather like in October?[/quote]

I would assume it is warm all year round there (from what I read it has the most equable temp in the world). Also the island to go to is Saipan (it is the most populated). Also the male to female ratio is 76 males per 100 females (supposedly the lowest in the world). I’m gonna go, I just have to figure out when.