The UFC Thread | STRICKLAND BEATS IZZY

I thought I’d give a catch-all UFC thread a shot. Not every card has a lot to talk about, but almost every card has something to talk about, so maybe this will make it easier to talk about it!

This weekend is Usman (17-1) v. Burns (19-3) for the Welterweight strap. They are “teammates”, which is one interesting angle. Usman has great wrestling and Burns has great, athletic jiujitsu. Usman is the favorite and the line has only moved in his favor. He’s the bigger man (4" taller and 5" reach advantage). Both guys beat former WW champ Tyron Woodley by decision (in five for Usman, in three for Burns) recently. Usman also has a win over top contender Colby Covington (round 5 TKO).

No other fights interest me much on the card - though I’d like to see Jim Miller smack Bobby Green around the Octagon for 15 minutes … Gastelum v. Heinisch could be a fun scrap, too.

2 Likes

I’ve seen people call Usman a “boring” fighter - I disagree. Very technical, skilled, and methodical. And I enjoy a fight without all the bullshit drama. Just two good fighters with different skill sets going at it. I’m excited.

2 Likes

Miller-Green not gonna happen this time.
And I agree, very interesting main event.

1 Like

Ugh! Brutal! Just caught that. Green collapsed backstage. Weight cut? He made 156.

Also forgot (!) about the fight I’m probably most interested in. On the prelims, jiu-jitsu phenom Rodolfo Viera (7-0) middleweight continuing his MMA journey. Very aggressive, very strong, a finisher. Hoping for good things from him.

Congratulations to Usman on the victory!

Not a great night for world-class jiu-jitsu athletes in the UFC. Burns helping turn Usman into a finisher. Viera can’t find a finish after completely dominating a journeyman on the ground early, then gasses, gets knocked around the cage and is finally, almost mercifully, choked out. Good grief.

Not a fan of Usman.

As a first generation American specifically.

He has been in the States since he was 8 years old. Wrestled in American schools with American teammates. Went to an American college. Wrestled at the D2 level. Pursued MMA with American teams.

But he decides to rep the Nigerian flag. Because Nigeria made him the person/athlete he is today? At the very least bring both flags out with you. Or move to Nigeria and take all your training there.

As far as the fight goes. He’s got a stiff jab thats for sure. I think Burns should have capitalised more on when he rocked him in round one. He might have been able to get the TKO.

What a strange thing to be miffed over. I associate my origins with where I grew up for the first 6 years of my life. Growing up in tough conditions can absolutely make somebody into a formidable fighter. Ask all the Dagestanis. He’s proud of his status as an immigrant and proud of his heritage.
I mean, hate him all you want, but your assessment of “fly an American flag or go back to Nigeria” is pretty silly.

2 Likes

Immigrants are interesting that way: some continue to wave the banner of their birth country; others drape themselves in the U.S. flag as if it were a life preserver. I think it’s the most emotional issue in the world - more so than religion or political ideology. Each to each.

More importantly, where does Usman (3 title defenses) now stand in the all-time WW champions rankings?

GSP (9 defenses)
Tyron Woodley (4 defenses)
Pat Miletich (4 defenses)
Matt Hughes (2 defenses)
Robbie Lawler (2 defenses)

WW champs with zero defenses (BJ Penn, Carlos Newton, Matt Serra, and Johny Hendricks) not included.

By the way, on this subject:

“The flag should never be used as wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery.”

Not that I personally care if someone drapes it over their shoulders, it’s just fun to point out that people wearing the flag to show their patriotism are technically disrespecting it.

1 Like

It is not strange.

I am first generation. I find it disrespectful. My father came to the States much like his did.

Origins is one thing.

But typically by convention most people represent the country that moulded them into the athlete and person that they are.

He is not an elite MMA champion because of training he got back home.

So no its not like the Dagestanis at all.

Of course you can say his exposure there helped create the persona and resilient character that allowed him to become champion. But I think give credit where credit is due. Perhaps he is resentful because his father got 10 years in jail for committing crimes. I don’t know.

Sure can.

I do hate him. Or rather dislike him very strongly. Hate is too strong a word.

But anyways this is about showing respect to the country that welcomed you in and provided you all these amazing opportunities that allowed you to climb to the level you are at now.

It’s almost as bad as Naomi Osaka.

Came to the USA at 3 years of age. Received all of her training for Tennis in the States. But decides renounce her US citizenship so she can represent Japan at the Olympics in 2020.

That was not my assessment at all but even if it was it wouldn’t be silly.

I just think that would more authentic and accurate. If you want to represent Nigeria. Live the Nigerian life.

Still does not hold a candle to GSP in my opinion.

Or Matt Hughes who has 7 defences not 2!

He won the title from Carlos Newton had 5 successive defences in a row. Lost title. Won vacated title in his first bout with GSP and then lost it to GSP after defending it twice more.

Definitely rank him above Robbie and honeslty probably Pat. I don’t want to rank him above Pat Miletich. Its hard to say. Like sports changed so much between when Pat fought and now. Like does Pat get more credit for coming up in an era when there was no glamour or money. IDK.

So yeah the real question is. Does Kamaru have enough longevity to make 7 more defences.

Hes had 3 defences in 427 days. So let us just say 1.5 years.

He probably will get one more in for 2021. He is going to be 34 in May.

At this current rate of defences he will need 3 years to make 6 more defences to tie GSP. He would be 37 by that time likely. And thats assuming no injuries, surgeries or lay offs in that time period. Its a tough game.

I really don’t see that happening.

Granted Anderson lost the title to Weidman at 38 I believe.

But they are two very different fighters.

So we shall see.

Yes. My mistake. For some reason I was only thinking about his second run.

I think Usman ranks third behind GSP and Hughes. He only needs four more though to tie Hughes. Masvidal and Covington rematches are probably two of them.

That was your assessment, which is why you followed up your denial with an affirmation of your own assessment. I disagree - I think it’s silly, and I think saying it’s “almost as bad” as someone who renounced their US citizenship is also silly. He didn’t do anything, he just didnt do something you think he should have done.

1 Like

Yeah you could be right.

I don’t see him catching up to GSP. But only time will tell.

No.

I think he can fly whatever flag he wants. I find it rude and disrespectful.

If that is how you want to interpret even after I elaborated for clarification that is on you.

This is what I meant.

What are you even talking about. He chose which flag to come out with. He made a personal choice there. He did do something.

Its not ridiculous to find his decision to represent Nigeria over America a bit disrespectful. For all the reason I mentioned above.

You immigrate and assimilate. Get to the biggest platform for MMA then decide to rep Nigeria. Not the country that gave you every single opportunity to make something of your self.

You and I can just disagree on that. That is fine.

I think its strange that your so miffed over this.

Haha, always good to hear the adult version of “I know what you are, but what am I?” Obviously we’re at an impasse so I’ll stop bothering you now.

One of the more interesting headline fights on a pretty decent looking card. Very curious to see if Blacho keeps it standing or tries to use his size to wear Izzy down with a lot clinching and wrestling.

Also interested in Sterling vs. Yan, a top bantamweight contest for the strap. Hopefully Sterling can force the fight to the ground.

In the prelims, veteran bantamweights Dominick Cruz and Joseph Benavidez are back in the cage - as underdogs, which is interesting. Wishing both those old boys luck this weekend!

Yeah, I’m hoping he doesn’t try to go toe to toe with Izzy - number one priority should be tiring Izzy out on the ground and using your weight advantage. Izzy is so physically suited for striking and outrageously talented as well, it takes a lot of weight for you to have a legitimate “advantage” standing up. Great night coming up.

2 Likes

By far not one of the best cards, but it really did have a little bit of everything.

Blachowicz proves once again that size does matter. Izzy didn’t really look like he had that much of an edge in the striking. And the control and ease of takedowns in later rounds will probably mean Izzy won’t be bringing up fighting Jones anymore unless he plans on putting on about 40lbs and getting a black belt. WIth his first loss in the books, I am definitely interested to see if it forces any evolution from Izzy. And props to Blachowicz, I am excited to see him square off against Glover.

Nunes looks legitimately unbeatable. Maybe Cyborg (I haven’t been following her post UFC) could beat her a second time around with an idea of how hard she hits now. I hope she just runs through both divisions again, racks up an absurd amount of title defenses so that further generations have no chance of touching her records.

And the most absurd way to win a title I have ever seen. I honestly missed Yahn’s rise, but I don’t recall seeing someone with such stoic defense and brutally efficient offense. I might have to go back and watch all his fights. He was starting to steamroll Sterling in the third, and that “chokeslam” was gangster af. In any case, someone in his corner effed up big time. That knee was vicious. I hope he is ok, but Sterling looked like he potentially had a career changing concussion. I am legit curious how the fallout from this one will look.

Also, does anyone get infuriated by how the UFC production keeps throwing people’s tweets up on the screen? It is incredibly distracting/annoying. If I wanted to see what’s on effing Twitter I would be on Twitter. I would honest to god write an angry letter if I knew where to send said angry letter.

3 Likes

Are we talking just the main event because I for one thought those prelims were, as they say in New Orleans, straight fiya.

Askarov vs Bienvenides was exciting. I’ve never seen the Dagestani fight and was very curious to see how he performed considering he is deaf.

Yadong vs Phillips. Amazing. I couldn’t help but think this new crop of young guys coming up are just so incredibly talented and versatile its not even funny.

Amazing to hear the commentators say Yadong had his first pro fight at 16!

Now the Cruz vs. Kenney was a match up I was particularly interested in.

I suspect UFC brass wanna push Cruz out. Or at least they are questioning his ability to perform at an elite level. I mean to go from fighting for the belt to fighting an unranked opponent.

And to get by with a split decision. Makes you wonder. Can he still do it? I would be inclined to say no he can’t but lets not be over zealous. Like I said these younger fighters are a different breed they are all so good.

I personally think Cruz should sail of into the sunset with W because I don’t see a path to gold for him. His style imo is not one that works well when athletic ability starts to go with age. Kinda like Roy Jones Junior.

I don’t know what you mean by edge. He was clearly the more technical striker. Does that translate to effective? I guess not. I do think could he have kept it standing he might have made something happen. He started doing a stupid fucking “drunken master” dance in the fourth or fifth and Jan took him down with that. Did you see that. That right there lost him that round because he was starting to piece Jan up and if he hadn’t been taken down and maintained what he was doing that would have been his round.

He doesn’t need an evolution. The dude is an apex predator. He just lost a decision to a big brick shithouse of man who had easily 25 lbs on him. And didn’t do too bad to be honest. With a different strategy might have won. He has the skillset to win against Jan it just wasn’t executed today. Thats just my opinion.

Couldn’t agree with you more. I thought Israel jumping over Glover was a absolute fucking travesty.

If Glover gets that title. Wow. I would be so happy for him.

Yeah unbeatable in a division with minimal talent. Like good for her. But there are like what 20 girls in the world that fight at 145. And most of them suck.

Yeah I was rooting for Aljo but Yahn was clearly picking up steam. I gave the first two to Aljo. Third to Yahn.

Statistically the chance of Aljo pulling of the W withholding that Knee he took is slim. I think he should have said he needed five minutes which they would have given him and restarted and if he had to take a shitty shot and let Yahn take his back to choke him out then so be it. He did not deserve that W. He does not deserve that title. But it doesn’t matter. They will 100 % run that back. So it all works out. Just sucks that Yahn has that blemish on his record and I know Aljo did not want the title that way. Or did he?

Brother. I share your sentiment entirely. I give zero fucks to any of those peoples tweets. Actually for that matter fuck twitter.

1 Like

Does anybody else love how visibly upset Dana gets when his cash cows lose? Fortunately for me, I don’t have any money invested in anyone so seeing an unexpected outcome is always more exciting for me. Props to Jan. Sucks about Petr Yan, haha. I’m personally against having a period of being a ‘downed fighter’ where you’re just sitting on your knees - if that’s how you wanna sit, head exposed, you should expect a knee to the face IMO, but them’s the rules and Yan & his corner knew it, so it is what it is.

3 Likes

I love it when Uncle Dana is upset about anything. Its more likely he will make a crass, unintentionally hilarious comment.

1 Like