The Truth About DOMS

One thing:

I would not use anti-inflammatories

I don’t believe they have much/any effect with DOMS and I’m fairly sure the research indicates it affects muscle recovery.

I may be off here, but it’s just something I think I’ve come across times in various articles.

[quote]sasquatch wrote:
One thing:

I would not use anti-inflammatories

I don’t believe they have much/any effect with DOMS and I’m fairly sure the research indicates it affects muscle recovery.

I may be off here, but it’s just something I think I’ve come across times in various articles.[/quote]

You’re correct.

Another thing I would add is don’t take a sauna or use heating pads directly after a workout. It makes things much worse.

-Dan

Chad Waterbury has said to work through the sorness that may come when you change up your workout and not to judge the effectivness or lack of effectivness on soreness. Only judge on the results of your next workout.

If you are able to increase the load, increase the amount of reps with the same load, or decrease the rest time the next time you do the same exercise, even when you’re sore, then you probably didn’t over do it the last time.

I had no idea that inflammatories impeded recovery…Thanks for the tip.

It seems that there isn’t a general consensus about this issue.

Anyone else have anything of interest to add?

Michelle

[quote]buffalokilla wrote:
etaco wrote:
Glutamine works… via IV. At this point it’s believed that orally ingested glutamine is used by the intestines and doesn’t make it to the blood stream in substantial quantities.

Most studies and personal experiences simply don’t have the things in order they need to accurately tease out the result. If you take 5g/day, yup, right to digestive system and kidneys. If you take 20-40, give or take depending on size and other dietary considerations, much more is directly used for protein synthesis and whatnot. It’s simple physiology. Oh, and please don’t mention that glutamine study David Barr cited in his debunking the myth article - it had so many confounding factors it’s almost not worth mentioning.

I and nearly all others I have use it experience significant improvements in recovery when using enough glutamine, especially when taken right before and during training/competition.

-Dan[/quote]

20-40g of glutamine at once sounds like a recipe for the squirts. It also sounds prohibitively expensive unless glutamine has gone way down in price lately.

On the DOMS issue, try doing a very gentle warmup or light workout when you are sore. It’s miserable when you are cold, but once you warm up a bit the soreness and tightness will decrease a bit. Then you can get in a light stretch (preferably dynamic) that will feel great.

[quote]wufwugy wrote:

1. you stated that AR is training the antagonist. AR is training the muscle directly. it’s very low intensity, get blood flowing. if you’re sore when performing it then if you do AR correctly the DOMS will lessen during and for a while after the AR.[/quote]

thanks for the info. :slight_smile:
i have talked about AR as “generic” words. i didn’t want to indicate a precise methodoly. :slight_smile: BTW again thanx for the info

Ok, listen to Sasq, wuf, and buffalo.

Beyond that, it’s really common sense:

Don’t take anything that keeps you from being able to tell what is going on with your body unless absolutely necessary (in other words, pain killers. You need to be able to feel your muscles and what kind of pain you have). Besides, as mentioned they all can interfere with recovery.

I pass on what I have received: You can train through light soreness. If the soreness is moderate but you still feel fresh and have full range of motion, lighten the load and volume and generally you’re ok. You can even just “get the blood flowing” if you feel it’s warranted. If there is severe soreness, don’t bother at all. Recover more. Thanks for the notes Waterbury.

cadev, I like your attitude towards learning and posting, but I’m going against you here. These guys know their stuff.

Oh yes, I forgot.

I’ve always been a fan of static stretching the worked muscles and some mobility work after a session. I find that this, when added in, generally reduces soreness more than when it is not in my program. If you feel it, some light, EASY cardio (to “get the blood flowing”) using the muscles worked may help too.

I’ve heard from a number of guys I trust that this can help. I’ve never really tried it in its original form though. I’ve done a little bag punching and kicking after my sessions and noticed a little improvement, but nothing really to write home about. Could be placebo effect there.

Stretching and ROM work on off days help too.

[quote]Aragorn wrote:
Oh yes, I forgot.

I’ve always been a fan of static stretching the worked muscles and some mobility work after a session. I find that this, when added in, generally reduces soreness more than when it is not in my program. If you feel it, some light, EASY cardio (to “get the blood flowing”) using the muscles worked may help too.

I’ve heard from a number of guys I trust that this can help. I’ve never really tried it in its original form though. I’ve done a little bag punching and kicking after my sessions and noticed a little improvement, but nothing really to write home about. Could be placebo effect there.

Stretching and ROM work on off days help too.[/quote]

interesting.

i’ve been under the impression that stretching hasn’t been linked to reducing DOMS. although, if what you do increases blood flow, then there ya go.

also, stretching can cause DOMS, or at least a delayed onset tissue soreness. not saying that it’s a bad thing to do, though…

[quote]wufwugy wrote:
Aragorn wrote:
Oh yes, I forgot.

Stretching and ROM work on off days help too.

interesting.

i’ve been under the impression that stretching hasn’t been linked to reducing DOMS. although, if what you do increases blood flow, then there ya go.

also, stretching can cause DOMS, or at least a delayed onset tissue soreness. not saying that it’s a bad thing to do, though…[/quote]

I’m not sure what the consensus is in the literature, but for my personal training it’s been a great cooldown and has really helped my soreness/tightness/ROM levels while waiting to adjust to a new workout routine.

I have heard about it causing DOMS or something similar, but I’ve never experienced it. I think that maybe if Kurz is right (Science of Sports Training), then the soreness/tissue microtrauma is only a factor when stretching is extreme, ballistic, strenuous or a workout in itself. This is not my way of stretching.

Cool stuff.