The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts.

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:
It looks like you’re adding cardio to start your cut and then you’ll reduce calories, is that right? [/quote]

Both really. I saw your question in your thread and my response would be to make sure you are 2-300 caloires below your maintenance to start with your diet and just let that do the fat burning as long as you can. Want to go faster, add cardio.[/quote]

Cool, sounds like a plan.

Goddammit everyone’s cutting and I’m just over here bloofing up :frowning:

[quote]Spidey22 wrote:
Goddammit everyone’s cutting and I’m just over here bloofing up :([/quote]

You’re not alone.

12/5/2014: 1 Week Progress Update

Finally moving. Weight is at 195lbs and waist at belly button is 34 inches.

Throwing the pics up the now cause I might not be training arms until Wednesday.

My last ever university exam is that day and I need to put everything into it to secure my 2:1 before dissertation is marked.

Diet is 2000kcal based on John Romaniellos Rapid Fat Loss article.

240g Protein, 100g Carbs and 72g Fat. People probably will say this is too little but I was maintaining weight at 2200 and my energy has improved by limiting carbs to shakes.

Meal 1

5 eggs
1 & 1/2 Scoop of Whey
3 1000mg Evening Primrose OIl
4 1000mg Cod Liver Oil

Meal 2

260g Springwater Tuna
5 Teaspoons of Olive Oil

Meal 3

300g Steamed Chicken Breast
4 Teaspoons of Peanut Butter.

Pre Workout Shake

1 Scoop of Whey
1 Scoop of Instant Oats

Post Workout Shake

1 Scoop of Whey
2 and 1/3 Scoops of Instant Oats

Are you sure following Roman’s guidelines in that Rapid Fat Loss article is the best choice, given your plans to spend 20-25 weeks doing this?

Those guidelines seem more tailored to something like 6-8 weeks (or even shorter).

Did you see zraw’s summary of how he and Meadows did it? http://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding/prep_where_to_start?id=6004830&pageNo=1#6014230

Not second guessing, just curious.

Zraws post is entirely inconsequential to me because I did not build a tolerance to carbs during gaining.

Romaniellos calculator in the Rapid Fat Loss is the same as the one used in the general fat loss one as well, which was also used in the Dave Tate on Bulking and Cutting article: You searched for prevTitle - T NATION

The only reason I am specifically mentioned the Rapid Fat Loss one is because thats where I took the Macronutrient split from rather than just doing the 40/40/20 I normally shoot for (it may actually be that ratio, i’m too lazy to check).

200lbs @ 20 percent BF = 160
160 x 14 = 2240 kcal maintenance
Subtract 2-300 calories
2000kcal

I could do carb cycling and have it higher and lower on different days but I prefer to eat the same thing day in and day out.

I see. I’m asking dumb questions because I don’t know enough to ask smart questions.

Are you planning on capping the weight loss at a certain amount each week and adjusting calories (and/or macros) if you’re losing too fast? Or are you just going to let the chips fall as they may?

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:
I did not build a tolerance to carbs during gaining.

[/quote]

What does this mean?

[quote]LoRez wrote:
I see. I’m asking dumb questions because I don’t know enough to ask smart questions.

Are you planning on capping the weight loss at a certain amount each week and adjusting calories (and/or macros) if you’re losing too fast? Or are you just going to let the chips fall as they may?[/quote]

It wasn’t a dumb question lol.

It’s a shame I can’t have carbs higher but I had to do the same at the beginning of the last cut too. I thought I may be better off this time but it doesn’t appear so.

If it’s any more than 2-3lbs a week after the first 2 weeks i’ll definitely be capping it. I lost 5 lbs this week but I bet it will eventually even out to 1-2 lbs a week for a long time.

[quote]1 Man Island wrote:

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:

[/quote]

What does this mean?[/quote]

I ended my last cut on a very low carb diet.

When tapering off it I introduced carbs slowly as suggested by nearly everyone and continued to increase my calories when weight stalled. From this I hoped I would have maybe became more efficient at utilizing carbs for energy but it does not appear so.

I appear to be a fats guy.

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:

[/quote]

When tapering off it I introduced carbs slowly as suggested by nearly everyone and continued to increase my calories when weight stalled. From this I hoped I would have maybe became more efficient at utilizing carbs for energy but it does not appear so.

I appear to be a fats guy. [/quote]

How are you coming to this conclusion? When you say more efficient at utilizing carbs for energy, do you mean staying lean while eating a good deal of carbs, or genuine ‘feelings’ of energy, focus, non-drowsy, good workouts, etc.

Just in case that sounds like criticism it’s not, I’m just curious lol. Tone of voice is hard to convey on the interwebs. lol

So you only increased when your lifts stalled or your bw gain? I ask because I’m beginning reverse dieting and am doing my first cal increase in 2 days… also coming from very low carb/borderline keto.

My goal is to increase strength while limiting bw gain. (Unlike you, I am a “true” 20 percent)

[quote]Spidey22 wrote:

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:

[/quote]

How are you coming to this conclusion? When you say more efficient at utilizing carbs for energy, do you mean staying lean while eating a good deal of carbs, or genuine ‘feelings’ of energy, focus, non-drowsy, good workouts, etc.

Just in case that sounds like criticism it’s not, I’m just curious lol. Tone of voice is hard to convey on the interwebs. lol
[/quote]

All of the above.

So you only increased when your lifts stalled or your bw gain? I ask because I’m beginning reverse dieting and am doing my first cal increase in 2 days… also coming from very low carb/borderline keto.

My goal is to increase strength while limiting bw gain. (Unlike you, I am a “true” 20 percent)[/quote]

I never use performance as a measure tbh but yeah 25g of carbs was what I did when reverse dieting each time I stalled weight wise.

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:
I never use performance as a measure tbh but yeah 25g of carbs was what I did when reverse dieting each time I stalled weight wise.
[/quote]

So yeah, this is what I would be like on 25g carbs.

[quote]Captain Needa wrote:

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:
[/quote]

So yeah, this is what I would be like on 25g carbs.

[/quote]

Haha.

Funny you post something in regards to Raiders. Every time I get a nutrition question I just want to respond with the classic indy line, “I don’t know, I’m making this up as I go”.

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:

[quote]Spidey22 wrote:

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

All of the above.[/quote]

Well because you seem to be my Euro doppelganger, have you tried CBL’ing? Or some timed carb approaches? I experienced what you’re describing, thinking I was carb intolerant and had horrible energy peaks and valleys until I started CBL a few years back.

You obviously know what you’re doing but figured it was worth a shot. You also aren’t as fat as you think. Idk about 20%, I think you’re honestly just too pale to see a lot of definition lol

[quote]Spidey22 wrote:

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:

[quote]Spidey22 wrote:

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

All of the above.[/quote]

Well because you seem to be my Euro doppelganger, have you tried CBL’ing? Or some timed carb approaches? I experienced what you’re describing, thinking I was carb intolerant and had horrible energy peaks and valleys until I started CBL a few years back.

You obviously know what you’re doing but figured it was worth a shot. You also aren’t as fat as you think. Idk about 20%, I think you’re honestly just too pale to see a lot of definition lol [/quote]

I may not be 20 percent but from that incredibly unflattering angle I look horrendous lol, i’m just trying to avoid purposely trying to look at my best and lulling myself into a false sense of security.

Well right now i’m having my carbs half hour before workout and half hour after in my shakes. CBL would be I have all carbs after right? Is it suggested whole food only rather than shakes? If so, I may try it then a couple of months down the line when I want to cut shakes out entirely to get the “better thermogenic effect” of whole foods whilst keeping calories and macros the same.

Switching to it may induce further fat loss without messing around with cals any further and by being carb loaded later on may help with the fasted cardio I enjoy so much. So it could be interesting to move to CBL soon, thanks for the suggestion!

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:

I may not be 20 percent but from that incredibly unflattering angle I look horrendous lol, i’m just trying to avoid purposely trying to look at my best and lulling myself into a false sense of security.

Well right now i’m having my carbs half hour before workout and half hour after in my shakes. CBL would be I have all carbs after right? Is it suggested whole food only rather than shakes? If so, I may try it then a couple of months down the line when I want to cut shakes out entirely to get the “better thermogenic effect” of whole foods whilst keeping calories and macros the same.

Switching to it may induce further fat loss without messing around with cals any further and by being carb loaded later on may help with the fasted cardio I enjoy so much. So it could be interesting to move to CBL soon, thanks for the suggestion![/quote]

Well it depends on when you train if you Backload immediately after. It’s more about the timing of carbs later in the day, in one large insulin spike. For example, whether I train in the morning or evening, I always backload after about 5-6pm.

You’re supposed to do a short 5-10 day keto style phase, less than 30g of carbs to get your body ‘primed’ to burn fat as it’s primary fuel source as well, but idk if that would be necessary as you go pretty low carb and may be fat adapted already.

Whole food isn’t advised anymore than it is one any other diet plan, unless you’re hitting just crazy carb numbers and can’t eat that much rice lol. only suggestion is to not use ‘low-GI’ carbs, as you want a large and fast insulin spike. But some have used high GI carb sources and done fine

Personally, and this is anecdotal, but I did find simply shifting carbs to the evening or night did have a positive effect on body comp without adjusting calories. Any time I’ve moved away from CBL in the last year or so, I never get as good of results or as lean of gains. Could be broscience, but it works for me.

Sorry if you posted but how fast did you increase carbs and fat when weight stalled?