The tired issue of gear (pretty long)

Bangs,
I was thinking about your reply to my post and your right, I’m taking an overly simplistic view of defining strength. I started a response stating that differences in total with gear might be confounded by differences in individual technique (since it has been stressed by those who’ve used gear how important technique is). Then I realised that this could apply equally to raw lifters. Person A could have stronger muscles than person B but worse technique and therefore, lift less.
The last part of my post was not really in reference to regulated competition. I’m simply sick of people who try to win arguments by comparing how much the individuals involved can lift. Often comparisons are made between one person’s lifts with gear and another’s raw lifts. I just think it’s apples and oranges and that you shouldn’t compare one guy’s raw score to your own with gear and then belittle the other guy because he lifts less than you do.

Heavy, I don’t know if that was directed at me or not. I never said I thought the thread was stupid. I am actually interested in gear and how it works. I did somewhat hijack the thread, so if that bugs you, I’m sorry.

Cheers guys!

hey bangs, i already hit 300, so please insult me on hitting 310, thanks.

also, i went back and looked at some of your previous posts, you dont really have anything helpful to say to anyone do you? and you never mention your totals? you digged up my totals from a previous thread, how about you tell us/me yours?

i think everybody here is on the edge of their seats wanting to know how much you lift? and if you ever achieved your 2003 training goals of “not fucking up”. yes i wasted eons of time looking through alot of your pathetic posts. BE A MAN SON.

does powerlifting usa mention any raw meets? this “monstermusclemag” surely doesn’t. they have an advertisement for some stupid device, some supplement, or gear on every single page. oh snap maybe thats why i hate gear so much !! because i wasted $16 on this suck-ass magazine. i have it figured out now sorry.

ok brb, getting strong & tough

Some of you are just plain stupid. That is okay, but when you combine that with bitterness, it just gets annoying.

If you have no experience with a subject, please refrain from offering an opinion that you have just made up. I don’t have to jump off of a building to know it’s a bad idea, but I also am not going to take advice from a virgin on how to get laid.

Who in the hell compares their equipped lifts to others raw lifts? I never see anybody do this. Quit making shit up.

who is comparing?

Take it from an old guy.The last time i competed was twenty years ago.Why twenty years you ask?Mainly back then you only had a single poly squat suit you could use and belt and wraps.Years of useing not much gear took a toll on my body.Bad shoulders,slight pec tear,strains in the quads and groin useing heavy weight it seemed like one minor injury after another.Well just about three weeks ago i did a push/pull meet with a shirt.What a difference.No injuries very little if any pains due to the protection on the shirt.I believe you will have a much longer career in P.L.ing with the use of supportive gear and stay healthier.Sure i still lift raw but not to absolute maxes any more.Im still learning the shirt but have the basics down. i’m glad they started useing them cause for me i can do competitive lifting once more with a lot more injury free lifting.

"What I take exception to is someone taking their lifts with gear, comparing them to someone’s else’s raw lifts and then claiming superiority because their total is higher. If someone else’s raw total is higher than your raw total, guess what, THEY’RE STRONGER THAN YOU!! "

I’d like to know about that 300 lb squat. Was it onto a box? Have a picture of it to post? I doubt it was to parallel. Most gym lifts aren’t lifts that would pass at a high school meet.

Goldberg, the comparing geared vs. raw comment was not directed at you. Believe it not though, I have personally heard at least two people do this kind of comparison. They compete and train with gear at then make fun of other lifters (mostly raw) training at the gym for putting up “weak” numbers. The only thing you said that I took exception to was the comment about not being entitled to an opinion if you’ve never used gear. I believe everyone is entitled to an opinion, but I will conceed that some opinions are worth more than others. For example, I am beggining to feel that I have added very little to this thread and maybe I should have just lurked on this one. Sorry guys, go back to your dispute!

it doesn’t really matter greatwhite… i dont brag about my numbers on here, i know they are small. i posted them once and bangs went and dug it up. anyway i have no reason to lie, and yes it was parallel (not on a box, i quarter squat off pins alot more than that, so no it wasnt quarter), it took me about ten seconds to bust out of the bottom and my knee tingled for a week (nagging knee injury every time i max out it feels like its gonna snap).

but guess what, a 13 year old squats more than me. A 13 YEAR OLD GIRL SQUATS MORE THAN ME, thats kind of pathetic on my behalf huh? :slight_smile:

i have a pic of me naked if you want it?

GEAR? NO GEAR? WHO KEERS. thanks for the insight.

bangs? totals?

brb, gettin` strong

Can I get a copy of the naked pic? (sorry, must be the test and tren talking).
Seriously though people, guys that use gear for competition are just as strong as the ones that don’t on raw movements. I also guarantee that the ones that don’t use would bench LESS their 1st time trying to use gear than their raw lift. After a while it may increase your overall lift but the benefit to your joints/ligaments/tendons far outweighs any small increase in poundage.
I personally do not use gear because I don’t compete nor do I do any flat benching but I do have first hand experience with buddies that do. If you want to be able to compete for any length of time the use of supportive gear is a good idea.
Now about those pics…

how is this a debate.
on one side we have knowledgable lifters and on the other a soft dipshit…
nice original post tho.

whetu- a raw lifter who couldn’t give two shits what other people do with themselves.