The Tide Will Turn...

LUCKY! :slight_smile:

are you sure you want to admit that you know me?

haha! you TOTAL hookerface! loved meeting you!! totally picking you for my “babysitter” the next time im down there! <— btw, that’s not a request. :slight_smile:

Deloading this week so I can start a 5-3-1 cycle with the rest of the crew on Monday =)

Today:
Warm up and foam rolling
DB Incline - 15lb x 8, 20lb x 8, 20lb x 12, 20lb x 10
Pull Downs - 4x12
Was planning to walk about 20 min. but ran into MMGalb and ended up walking for over an hour.

Also, changing up the diet this week by further decreasing carbs…glad it’s deload week! Trying to get the fat loss kicked into gear.

Hope everyone’s having a good week =)

Exciting stuff!

I’m so excited for Monday! I think since there’s 5 of us now, we will officially own the place.

[quote]sbmart2 wrote:
I’m so excited for Monday! I think since there’s 5 of us now, we will officially own the place.[/quote]

Think they’d consider changing the name of the place to Hookerface Athletic Club? Or maybe under the original name in parentheses it could say (Home of the Hookerface Crew).

So, yesterday I sort of deloaded on bench, deadlift, and squat so I could be ready to start a new 5-3-1 cycle tomorrow with the crew. (Apparently, my first assignment is front squatting with the safety bar…fun! =)

Dynamic warm-up/stretching
Bench - 3x5 with 45, 55, 65…trying to find the right groove.

Deadlift - 5x3 with 95; trying to break this silly habit I have of looking too far up and not keeping a neutral spine, don’t know how that got started.

Front squats - 3x5 with the safety bar off a box. Hadn’t used the safety bar for front squats before, but I must say it is MUCH more comfortable for me than a regular bar.

Wrapped it up with a couple laps around the track with the husband.

Carb cut is going well. I feel like I’m taking more CLA and fish oil than any human should, but I feel better than I did the first couple days. We’re kind of experimenting to see what my body can handle in terms of my hypoglycemia. I’m not going to measure/weigh again until Friday, so we’ll see.

I must say, as the kid who SUCKED at everything in gym class, it’s kind of a big deal for me to start lifting with a crew of such talented women. I’m excited to see what I can really do!

[quote]shandwill wrote:
Carb cut is going well. I feel like I’m taking more CLA and fish oil than any human should, but I feel better than I did the first couple days. We’re kind of experimenting to see what my body can handle in terms of my hypoglycemia. I’m not going to measure/weigh again until Friday, so we’ll see.[/quote]

You may find that you won’t have trouble w/ your hypoglycemia while weight lifting. I know for me with an anerobic activity such as weight lifting it actually raises my BG, of course it is a bit different for me as I use insulin. Hopefully this exercise and diet choice will be a good thing for your body :slight_smile:

[quote]rondastarr wrote:

You may find that you won’t have trouble w/ your hypoglycemia while weight lifting. I know for me with an anerobic activity such as weight lifting it actually raises my BG, of course it is a bit different for me as I use insulin. Hopefully this exercise and diet choice will be a good thing for your body :)[/quote]

Makes sense. I actually sometimes wonder if, in my case, it is mind over matter. For instance, say I am really exerting myself, I expect a drop in bg, then I start feeling woozy and go down. Obviously, passing out/blacking out sucks, and I find that I am hypersensitive at times if I even suspect the slightest drop in bg.

Just saying hi!
How did Monday go?

[quote]mom-in-MD wrote:
Just saying hi!
How did Monday go?[/quote]

Hi! It was awesome =) (I’ll post more details soon.) By the way, I was reading your log…you ABSOLUTELY belong here! You provide inspiration to lots of folks. Thanks for stopping by.

[quote]shandwill wrote:
mom-in-MD wrote:
Just saying hi!
How did Monday go?

Hi! It was awesome =) (I’ll post more details soon.) By the way, I was reading your log…you ABSOLUTELY belong here! You provide inspiration to lots of folks. Thanks for stopping by.[/quote]

Aww, shux…THANK YOU! :slight_smile:
And all of you inspire me, so it’s all good! :stuck_out_tongue:

I survived my first day of training with the crew…HOORAY! Of course, we WOULD start on squat day. I have been forced to end my affectionate relationship with the box and am beginning to free squat. (Guess I have to if I ever hope to compete!)
Here’s yesterday’s workout:

Front squat - warm-up set of 10 with the safety bar, then 5x5 with the safety bar and pausing at the bottom

Reverse lunges - didn’t get to use a bar like the cool kids because I do well to do simple bodyweight lunges. My balance is horrible…I’m working on it. I’m told it will improve. =(
BWx6, 4x8 with 10lb dumbbells

Pallof presses - 4x10 (didn’t keep track of weights used because I used two different cable machines)

Band pull-aparts - 3x10

Pulled sled for about 20 min. with light weight (75lb.)

Today, I feel relatively good. My thutt is killing me, but that’s a good thing. (Thutt = where butt and thigh collide) I’m a little sore all over just from staying tense while squatting and doing Pallof presses. Carb cut continues. Feeling okay in that area, just lethargic (which is kind of normal for me anyway, it seems).

Looking forward to benching on Wednesday…as it is my nemesis, I can use all the feedback I can get.

Thutt–that’s a good one!!
I love working that area, so that my butt won’t touch my thigh, LOL!!!

[quote]mom-in-MD wrote:
I love working that area, so that my butt won’t touch my thigh, LOL!!![/quote]

Yeah, if I could get rid of the overlap, that’d be great, haha.

[quote]shandwill wrote:
I survived my first day of training with the crew…HOORAY! Of course, we WOULD start on squat day. I have been forced to end my affectionate relationship with the box and am beginning to free squat. (Guess I have to if I ever hope to compete!)
Here’s yesterday’s workout:

Front squat - warm-up set of 10 with the safety bar, then 5x5 with the safety bar and pausing at the bottom

Reverse lunges - didn’t get to use a bar like the cool kids because I do well to do simple bodyweight lunges. My balance is horrible…I’m working on it. I’m told it will improve. =(
BWx6, 4x8 with 10lb dumbbells

Pallof presses - 4x10 (didn’t keep track of weights used because I used two different cable machines)

Band pull-aparts - 3x10

Pulled sled for about 20 min. with light weight (75lb.)

Today, I feel relatively good. My thutt is killing me, but that’s a good thing. (Thutt = where butt and thigh collide) I’m a little sore all over just from staying tense while squatting and doing Pallof presses. Carb cut continues. Feeling okay in that area, just lethargic (which is kind of normal for me anyway, it seems).

Looking forward to benching on Wednesday…as it is my nemesis, I can use all the feedback I can get.

[/quote]

I think the fun out weighed the pain!

[quote]shandwill wrote:
mom-in-MD wrote:
I love working that area, so that my butt won’t touch my thigh, LOL!!!

Yeah, if I could get rid of the overlap, that’d be great, haha.[/quote]

i’ll maintain that you can fix anything with duct tape. in this case, strategically placed.

So, I have to admit, by the end of the day yesterday, I was SO-ORE! Did lots of foam rolling and racquetball torture and feel a little better today. I’m still moving a little slow, but hopefully bench goes well this evening. Sprints, however, are questionable. I’ll have to ask my quads again when the time comes…right now, they’re sayin’ HELL NO!

Haha Sbmart and I are right there with you! I am ridiculously sore today! Big Jim suggested we do sprints on Friday as a “warm-up” for deadlifts… but I don’t know… sprinting takes a lot out of me. Maybe we can try it and see how it goes… no harm in trying something new. If we don’t do them then, then we will move them to Saturday so you may get out of them altogether! =D

Survived bench night at the gym last night. Here’s what went down…
Still super sore on arrival, so loads of foam rolling, stretching, dynamic warm-up, band pull-aparts, then…

Flat bench: (Warm-up sets 45x5, 55x5, 65x3), work sets 75x5, 80x5, 80x7
Jim worked to help me find the right groove. Apparently, when I press, I don’t bring the bar back up over my face. Instead, I’ve been trying to press it in a straight line from the place it touches. Once I started feeling that angle, things felt easier. I’ve also always pressed on my toes. Now, I’m trying to learn to press with my feet flat on the floor…it makes sense, I just learned differently. Anyway, moving on…

Pull-ups (first time ever!): 1x5, 1x5, 1x6, 1x6 all assisted but still kind of exciting

Dumbbell incline bench: 22.5x15, 25x15, 25x13

Sled drags
70lbs
90 yards
6x

Looking forward to deadlifting tomorrow, fingers crossed.