Allright just got back from Philly this morning. Because of bad temperature over on our side of the border we arrived very late on Saturday (at 13:00 after a 12 hours drive) so I could not get a workout in. I did manage to see the city though, as well as the Eagles - Rams game. Here are some comments (do not be offended!):
1) Old Philly is quite a site. The oldest building we have in Quebec date back from 1800 or so and they are few an far between. I was truly shocked by the historical density and feeling of old Philly. Quite a sight!
2) There is no way to get beer in Philly!!! Seriously, the only way is to go to a bar and buy beer from them, but you are limited to two 6-packs and it's gonna cost ya 9$. I heard of a beer distribution store but it was too far away. Here in Canada you can buy beer at every corner and it's gonna cost you the equivalent of 15-16 US$ for a case of 24! Not to mention that the alcohol content is 6-7% instead of your 4%. Not that I'm a big beer drinker, but I was truly shocked by this (especially considering that there was plenty of liquor stores around).
3) It was really envigorating to see the fan frenzy on Sunday! We did roam from tailgate to tailgate and visited the Eagles fan fair. Honestly I had never seen anything like it! Here in Canada we have crowds of 15 - 25 000 peoples at our football games and the towns are not really into it. Seing 70 000 peoples all dressed up in green & white, celebrating the game 6 hours beforehand was very impressive. And after the game I could not believe the atmosphere. To quote my friend: "And to think that it's like this every weekend!"
4) Sadly I did not bring any supplements with me and had to buy Myoplex bars at a local GNC. As a result I had diarrhea for the whole weekend.
- The bars and dance clubs do look great and have a great ambiance. But I find the beer to be very expensive (here in most clubs you’ll pay 2.50 can$ for a beer, or 1.50 US$). Because of the low cost we generally tip at least a dollar per beer over here, needless to say that this got us quite a few looks in Philly!
All and all it was a great trip, I was sorry that I did not have time to catch a workout or visit a gym but maybe next time!