T Nation

The Thrill is Gone

I am 40, lifted since I was 15. I started my session today,and did one set. In my journal I wrote I don’t like lifting anymore. I lift in my garage. Anyone come to that point? When apathy sets in? I should be sad but aim not.

[quote]Navin Johnson wrote:
I am 40, lifted since I was 15. I started my session today,and did one set. In my journal I wrote I don’t like lifting anymore. I lift in my garage. Anyone come to that point? When apathy sets in? I should be sad but aim not.[/quote]

I’d say just find some other physical endeavor that you might enjoy and do that for a while. You might find that after some time away, you crave the iron again. Or, perhaps your new activities make you want to use lifting as a supplement rather than the soul focus of your training.

You’re probably not upset because there’s probably some other activities you’d like to find time for.

I get that way if I don’t have specific, realistic, and measurable goals to shoot for.

Sometimes you just need to step away and take a break. I’m normally pretty steady, because I’m pretty goal driven.

I guess you have to ask yourself why are you lifting in the first place…health, self fulfillment ,fun etc etc

Could it be the garage part? Do you have a training partner? I am a home gymer also and I go through bouts where I just get bored / lonely training by myself. I keep a white-board with all of my training PR’s so when I take a break or feel like slacking for a week, I have to stare the board down when I return and that gets the motivation back quickly. Just me but i think everyone goes through a period or two like that at some point. But there’s obviously something you enjoy about it to dedicate 25 yrs of your life to…take a break and establish some new / different goals and see if that inspires you to get back in the game.

I do train alone. To throw a monkey wrench in to the mix I had a portion of my frontal lobe removed which does not help with motivation. I need some time off instead of trying for that magic bullet only to fail as it does not give me the hard on it used to. Perhaps measurable goals are needed. Maybe I’m depressed. At any rate I need to cut myself some slack. Thanks

Grove wrote:
Could it be the garage part? Do you have a training partner? I am a home gymer also and I go through bouts where I just get bored / lonely training by myself. I keep a white-board with all of my training PR’s so when I take a break or feel like slacking for a week, I have to stare the board down when I return and that gets the motivation back quickly. Just me but i think everyone goes through a period or two like that at some point. But there’s obviously something you enjoy about it to dedicate 25 yrs of your life to…take a break and establish some new / different goals and see if that inspires you to get back in the game. [/quote]

[quote]Navin Johnson wrote:
I do train alone. To throw a monkey wrench in to the mix I had a portion of my frontal lobe removed which does not help with motivation. I need some time off instead of trying for that magic bullet only to fail as it does not give me the hard on it used to. Perhaps measurable goals are needed. Maybe I’m depressed. At any rate I need to cut myself some slack. Thanks

I read the comment you posted today in the rate my physique forum…calling that guy your hero. What prompted that? I’m guessing maybe you are not getting the results from the work you are putting in? Sorry you are depressed. When you are ready to get back at it, why don’t you post your goals and your program in the forum and get some feedback. A lot of experience and knowledge in here to draw from and learn. Motivational too. Worries me when people our age decide to take some “time-off”…probably very few ever return which is a shame. Good luck.

re-read TC’s “Post Atomic Dog Phase” and recent post about goals and decide which one’s are the most compelling. you and the man in the mirror need to talk . . .