The Thread for Actual Bodybuilders

I’ve trained for athletics for the vast majority of my training life, but that came to an end this summer with no more competitive sports left in my future.

I’ve completely adopted the bodybuilding lifestyle; the bodypart split in the gym, putting effort into nutrient timing, eating every 2-3 hours, and the arguments with everyone around me on why I want to get even bigger when I “look good already”(which could be an entirely different argument since I’m one of the smaller people around this site at 5’10 200.)

I’m closing in on 23, so the switch to a full out bodybuilding lifestyle is pretty late now, and I have a lot of work to do to balance out a physique that I’ve built for athletics for almost a decade now; but the gym has been home for me for a long time, and this has just become the next stage in my stay there. If this shit were easy it wouldn’t be fun or fulfilling at all.

I grew up as a chubby kid so my initial reason for starting to “work out” was to get lean. I developed a very strong desire to get big and strong, but my diet didn’t reflect it. I was so afraid of getting fat again that I refused to eat more than 3000 calories in order to really put on size and gain strength. I built myself up to the 195 lb pics in my profile at the age of 22 and got relatively strong.

Through the influence of some members here(whether they knew it or not), I have done everything I can to gain muscle and size since August. I have lost my fear of carbohydrates and I must say the results have been almost shocking to me. All my lifts have skyrocketed, and I have not gained nearly as much fat as I would have expected. I currently weight 215 lb and feel I am well on my way to being a 240 lb brick.

As for competing, I doubt I will ever get on stage, however, I have great respect for those that do.

For the majority of my life I blamed my genetics for making me fat. I now realize how blessed I actually am in my ability to gain strength and size. My estimated 1 rep maxes are 345 bench, 450 squat, and 560 deadlift with straps. I desire to be as big and strong as my genetic limits can take me.

Thanks to all the big contributers to this site (you know who you are), and to the BOI tread which keeps me motivated.

[quote]josh86 wrote:
Wow CC, looks like we both started at about the same point. I was between 120-130 lbs at 5’10" when I first started lifting a few years ago. I was definitely past puberty, was a HUGE computer nerd. Played a lot of MMORPG’s for like 12+ hours at a time with little food because I was way too into the game to stop to eat food.

Long story short its been about 3 years, first 2 weren’t done as well as they should have been because I started out wanting to just get some muscle and abs. I’m now 220 lbs., just broke the 100 lbs gained mark.

My long term goal would be to be walking around at around 230 lbs. at single digit BF. Short term is to hopefully hit 230 lbs in the next few months then maintain the new mass for a month or so before dieting down to get my waist back to the 33" it started at before this current bulk. Its up about 4.5".

Next bulk will be done using some new methods I have learned during this one to help keep the BF gain a bit more in check…the waist size has been increasing less later in my bulk as I add these things in. It was in the first couple months that I gained a lot of BF really fast.

And I’m gunna throw another thanks at CC in here for being an inspiration and for all the help he has given me 1 on 1. Definitely has been a huge help to me.

[/quote] My pleasure, though you owe a lot of that indirectly to Dante and co[quote]

Edit: Didn’t really mention anything about how I live the lifestyle. I prepare pretty much all of my meat in advance and have tons of emergency cans of tuna/beef/chicken in my car at all times in case I am out somewhere and need to eat.

[/quote] Lol I also always have stuff in my car, from protein bars to shakes that you only need to add water to and more solid food… [quote]

Monday-Friday I have an exact food schedule that I eat at the exact times every day. People at the gym joke about how if they had to bet their life’s savings on me being at the gym at a particular day/time or not they would feel 100% safe in doing so because I am so consistent with when I am going to be lifting.

My day revolves pretty much entirely around eating and lifting. I cut loose a bit and have fun with my friends, hang with the GF during the weekend (who is 100% supportive of my goals, btw).

Usually go to the gym with her on Saturdays to train her while blasting my claves and then do cardio with her when done. I pretty much almost completely avoid alcohol at all times since I got serious about my physique goals…friends don’t mind as I just volunteer to be the DD pretty much anywhere we go.[/quote]

Same here, I always end up driving the others since I’m the only sober person within 5 miles :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

i started training just about a year ago and have put on around 40 pounds since then. I live the lifestyle to the point where preety much everything is about my pshyqiue and my meal prep is also right on target.

I do plan sports at a comptetitive level but even though I train for that I still train to look like a bodybuilder as much as i can and hope to comptete as soon as sports is over in a couple of years. I want to be a wrecking machine in sports and at least 200 some what lean with in the next year.

Even though I look nothing like a bodybuilder current day, give me some time and I’m gonna get there.

I started “lifting” the end of last September at 5’10" 220 and 40%+ bf, I use that term loosely since I had no clue what I was doing, nor on any real schedule. Eventually I found my way to T-Nation around the end of December and started learning. I’ve had various stints in about every workout/diet possible on this site for about 7 month as I just did what I read without any real thought. I was getting stronger/leaner throughout this time period but it wasn’t anywhere near optimal.

I have a very naturally small frame. My dad was 160 when he pulled 500 while competing for the Air Force in olympic lifts. I’ve got the same exact body type he does. My wrists are 6.25 inches around, my ankles are tiny, my waist lean would be around 28-29". This makes me look much much bigger with the same amount of muscle as other people.

Sometime this summer I finally figured out that I should just listen to my body and do what works. I felt like the first 9 months or so were training months to get into the real deal. My strength has really exploded along with my size in the past two months. I’ve went from 175 at 18% BF to 191 and 19% BF in these 8 weeks.

My entire life revolves around my training now. I know what I’m going to eat, what time I’m gonna train, how much sleep I need to get. Everything else comes in at a second place when it comes to the schedule.

I’m hoping by the end of '09 I can get to 200 lbs at 12% bf. I’ve got the knowledge and the drive, nothing is gonna stop me. I have an “end” goal of hitting 225 at 8%, this is gonna take a few years, but all I want in life is to be fucking huge. I want to be the guy people take a double take at after walking down the street.

I never had any real interested on lifting on any other thing other than chicks and parties, until one day just hit me (i’m 26) and i look like a skinny high school kid WTF and that was it. Quit drinking and smoking (after 11 years of smoking) and pack over 40 pounds of lean muscle (over a 10 month period i started lifting in february), I’m now 162 5’8’’ and want to get bigger.

I practically eat and breathe BB spend most of my day reading articles and researching, hoping it’s time to go home (home=gym) and watching my eating, if i knew this was so good wish i started sooner. I don’t think I’ll never compete but god i love it, for those who do U GUYS ROCKS, people don’t appreciate it, they think it’s all roids and shit, but only u guys know how much pain and suffering it take.

Any way let’s all keep on growing and showing people how big and ripped can we be.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
This whole life style makes up a lot who I am at this point. My day is geared towards getting me into the gym on a regular basis and getting my meals in…something that is difficult to pull off daily given my schedule.

I don’t like talking about my goals in detail because until my name is actually on some contest’s sign up sheet, talking about competition is just that…talk.

I really don’t think most people even on this forum understand what goes into someone actually standing out in the gym. I doubt most here even eat regularly on a schedule. Even less would understand what it means to have a basic idea of what you will be eating a week in advance.

I cook most of the meat that I eat on the weekends. It takes me about 4 hours total from prep time to finishing grilling everything to grill up about 15-20 steaks.

Yeah, I think I live the lifestyle even if I haven’t dieted down to contest shape up to this point.

It took a long time to build the size I have now. People who act like they are at risk of suddenly becoming “too big” make me laugh.[/quote]

Professor X,

This I can relate to so much. In retrospect yes it is a seflish and self absorbed existance, but my whole life revolves around training. Its as simple as that.

My day consists of ensuring i get my meals in, get to the gym, and get the most out of my session. I spend my weekends preparing my food for the week, spend a significant proportion of my disposible income on food and supplements, and spend pretty much all of my leisure time training, or studying training & nutrition.

My whole existance has from the day I first stepped into the gym. Unbalanced, yes, but I dont care. But this unbalanced dedication, focus and obsession, has translated into other aspects of my life too.

As a result I have a fantastic relationship with my GF, who trains harder than most of the blokes on this site no doubt, have a fulfilling and rewarding career wherein I get paid to study and share my passion! Without bodybuilding, I would have non of this!

This relentless pursuit separates me from 99.99% of this world, it makes me who I am - and I love it!

[quote]Dave Rogerson wrote:

Professor X wrote:
This whole life style makes up a lot who I am at this point. My day is geared towards getting me into the gym on a regular basis and getting my meals in…something that is difficult to pull off daily given my schedule.

I don’t like talking about my goals in detail because until my name is actually on some contest’s sign up sheet, talking about competition is just that…talk.

I really don’t think most people even on this forum understand what goes into someone actually standing out in the gym. I doubt most here even eat regularly on a schedule. Even less would understand what it means to have a basic idea of what you will be eating a week in advance.

I cook most of the meat that I eat on the weekends. It takes me about 4 hours total from prep time to finishing grilling everything to grill up about 15-20 steaks.

Yeah, I think I live the lifestyle even if I haven’t dieted down to contest shape up to this point.

It took a long time to build the size I have now. People who act like they are at risk of suddenly becoming “too big” make me laugh.

Professor X,

This I can relate to so much. In retrospect yes it is a seflish and self absorbed existance, but my whole life revolves around training. Its as simple as that.

My day consists of ensuring i get my meals in, get to the gym, and get the most out of my session. I spend my weekends preparing my food for the week, spend a significant proportion of my disposible income on food and supplements, and spend pretty much all of my leisure time training, or studying training & nutrition.

My whole existance has from the day I first stepped into the gym. Unbalanced, yes, but I dont care. But this unbalanced dedication, focus and obsession, has translated into other aspects of my life too.

As a result I have a fantastic relationship with my GF, who trains harder than most of the blokes on this site no doubt, have a fulfilling and rewarding career wherein I get paid to study and share my passion! Without bodybuilding, I would have non of this!

This relentless pursuit separates me from 99.99% of this world, it makes me who I am - and I love it!

[/quote]

I really don’t consider it an “imbalance”. I’m just different. I work hard in the gym, at work, and in the kitchen. I worked hard in school as well. I try to put the same intensity into just about everything I do.

People who aren’t aware of what is involved would consider any student in most graduate programs or professional schools to be “imbalanced” as well because that is what it takes to do well.

You don’t make it through medical school, dental school, or even nursing school by making sure you have as much fun as possible every single day. Most college engineering programs require abnormal attention to detail and focus on matters that most people can’t relate to.

People simply looking for “balance” don’t stand out.

Dave Rogerson wrote:

Professor X wrote:

It took a long time to build the size I have now. People who act like they are at risk of suddenly becoming “too big” make me laugh.

Professor X,

I really don’t consider it an “imbalance”. I’m just different. I work hard in the gym, at work, and in the kitchen. I worked hard in school as well. I try to put the same intensity into just about everything I do.

People who aren’t aware of what is involved would consider any student in most graduate programs or professional schools to be “imbalanced” as well because that is what it takes to do well.

You don’t make it through medical school, dental school, or even nursing school by making sure you have as much fun as possible every single day. Most college engineering programs require abnormal attention to detail and focus on matters that most people can’t relate to.

People simply looking for “balance” don’t stand out. [/quote]

This is so true. True success in whatever endeavour you pursue, requires a relentless and uncompromising pursuit with fiery determination.

Me personally, I get great satisfaction from the realisation that I am different, it appears you do to. I get comments daily on my cool box and strange eating habits, abnormal obsession with exercise, and lack of social life. But you know what, all of us who dedicate ourselves to this life can rest assured in the satisfaction that with every single meal, every single rep of every set, and every single time we sacrifice whats ‘normal’, we better ourselves and step one step closer to our goals.

well i train like a bb and eat like a bb although i have no interest in competing. it is a lifestyle where as i don’t think too much…i just do. you have to make it a priority or you wont get very far. most recreational gym goers just can’t understand that.

According to the OP the definition of the term bodybuilding needs no elaboration.

According to the consensus of this thread, if one eats 6 meals a day, works out regularly, and reads alot about bodybuilding then they are a bodybuilder.

We have a forum of non-competing bodybuilders.

Is that like having a hopped up street machine you work on religiously, that could likely outrun anything around, yet never sees the competitive side of a track or circuit, so what the hell, I guess Im a non-competitive race car driver…

[quote]Scotacus wrote:
According to the OP the definition of the term bodybuilding needs no elaboration.

According to the consensus of this thread, if one eats 6 meals a day, works out regularly, and reads alot about bodybuilding then they are a bodybuilder.

Is that like having a hopped up street machine you work on religiously, that could likely outrun anything around, yet never sees the competitive side of a track or circuit, so what the hell, I guess Im a non-competitive race car driver…[/quote]

If someone has 20" arms and a 53" chest and they happen to be in great physical shape, I am going to call them a bodybuilder.

All of the work to be a bodybuilder is done in the gym, not on stage. You are one on and off the stage all day long.

Simply eating 6 times a day does not qualify you as one if you don’t have the muscle mass at all.

Hi, first off great idea for a thread.
Although I have goals including being able to lift some very heavy shit, my priority is to obtain a “bodybuilders” physique, and one day compete.
I started lifting for hurling(Irish sport - not many of you will know it), and then retired early and continued lifting, and the rest as they say is history.
I started off at roughly 65Kg, and now weigh just over 90Kg 3 and a half years later.

[quote]Scotacus wrote:

Is that like having a hopped up street machine you work on religiously, that could likely outrun anything around, yet never sees the competitive side of a track or circuit, so what the hell, I guess Im a non-competitive race car driver…[/quote]

Do you have anything else to do besides criticizing 2 of the few good threads in the bb forum?

[quote]Cephalic_Carnage wrote:
Scotacus wrote:

Is that like having a hopped up street machine you work on religiously, that could likely outrun anything around, yet never sees the competitive side of a track or circuit, so what the hell, I guess Im a non-competitive race car driver…

Do you have anything else to do besides criticizing 2 of the few good threads in the bb forum? [/quote]

No.

I love the BB lifestyle. I started lifting when I was 16 years old, paying no attention to nutrition. Continued making nil progress till about 18yrs, but focused more on losing fat, so I also foolish did alot of running and swimming at the end of high school and was sitting at 76kgs at one stage, at 6.1 ft tall!! looking very lanky really.

After highschool I got back on weights a bit more and also got into drinking in a VERY big way, so again while I lifted, I had no real focus on progressing and did not make a real effort. Not too long before hitting 20 yrs old, a good friend of mine got me into it all a bit more, teaching me about the basics in terms of training and eating more etc, but I still drank and went out. Over the last 4 years, I have gotten far more serious about it, learning ALOT, especially about what my body reacts well to in terms of diet and training, and further got far more serious to the point where I simply dont drink anymore at all, and my primary focus is to ensure I do everything possible that will lead to proper recovery and growth/progression, in terms of sleeping, resting, eating etc.

I follow a 100% compliance in getting all my meals in and the RIGHT meals at that, by simply making sure my food is always prepared the night before and sitting in my cooler bag with supps etc. Training-Everything in written down, so I know what my last workout detailed and I know where I need to move onto this workout to progress. I am seriously considering competing some time in the near future.

This doesn’t interfere with me building a career either, rather a lifestyle choice and I go to the gym and eat not just to be “healthy” and “workout”. I train and diet for a given purpose at any given point, rather than go to gym to lift weights like I used to…Yes, I do consider myself a bodybuilder and love it! I couldn’t live without it…

GJ

Scotacus wrote:

If someone has 20" arms and a 53" chest and they happen to be in great physical shape, I am going to call them a bodybuilder.

All of the work to be a bodybuilder is done in the gym, not on stage. You are one on and off the stage all day long.

Simply eating 6 times a day does not qualify you as one if you don’t have the muscle mass at all.[/quote]

sounds of hitting the nail on the head

DG

[/quote]

Ive known one personally who would come pretty close to fitting that bill, but he was a pro running back. He would be somewhat puzzled to hear you calling him a bodybuilder.

Its unclear what youre trying to say, but there are real pro bodybuilders who look like fat freaks away from competition season.

[quote]

Simply eating 6 times a day does not qualify you as one if you don’t have the muscle mass at all.[/quote]

Agreed.

[quote]TheReaper wrote:
I just started getting into bodybuilding and this site has helped alot. i really enjoy the decilpline and motivation it takes to obtain the goals i set. not sure were im headed with it yet, but its been fun so far. i was originally planning on going to bud/s but decided to go back to college, i had fairly competitive pst scores so that should give you guys some of my overall fitness quality. im 5’9" 180lbs. [/quote]

I don’t like the term ‘fitness’ or ‘overal fitness quality’.

Congrats on your goals and I’m glad your taking part of the lifestyle, but I would not call you a ‘bodybuilder’ yet.

Not a flame, you deserve credit but I’m not sure you are what I was looking for.

Thanks for posting tho.

DG

[quote]mom-in-MD wrote:
Dirty Gerdy wrote:

Somebody who wants to build large amounts of muscle and turn heads when you go somewhere. Somebody who actually looks like the spend time in the weight room and not on the treadmill. lol!

DG

Does this apply to women as well? :wink:
[/quote]

Yess Ma’am :wink:

For women it can be their aspirations for bodybuilding, figure competing, fitness models, etc. Or it could be that you want to walk into a restaurant and have people know you live in the weight room.

Women are welcome here as well ;D

DG