The Things I Said About England

I take back all the things I said about England.

They might actually be using it to brush their teeth.
:wink:

Never mind England, even the mighty Irish have been pushed from the top spot!!!

I wonder how they liked all that shitty Budweiser. I read that the Germans were absolutely furious that Bud and McDonalds were the sponsors for the World Cup and that 70% of all beer sales at the stadiums had to be Bud. That sucks. Bud sucks. Forget the war in Iraq, forcing Europeans to drink Bud probably caused more hatred of America than anything else. Nothing is better than a dark heavy German brew with meat and kraut.

I agree with your sentiments about Bitter, never been a lager drinker. Not sure about German beer though, far too many local brews to try first.

[quote]comedypedro wrote:

Never mind England, even the mighty Irish have been pushed from the top spot!!![/quote]

If I had to live in the Czech Republic I’d drink a lot too.

[quote]tveddy wrote:
comedypedro wrote:

[/quote]

What does that mean?

[quote]MarcAnthony wrote:
tveddy wrote:
comedypedro wrote:

What does that mean?[/quote]

It means that I wouldn’t want to live there…

[quote]tveddy wrote:
MarcAnthony wrote:
tveddy wrote:
comedypedro wrote:

What does that mean?

It means that I wouldn’t want to live there…[/quote]

You sure it doesn’t mean they have the best beer in the world?

i’ve lived in Ireland and N.Ireland for most of my early years, and I spent most of that time in N.Ireland. I know for a FACT, that if N.Ireland could be on that list without being a part of the UK, they would have the highest alcohol consumption by far. People in N.Ireland drink way more than republicans. It’s fuckin ridiculous. It’s all witherspoons fault… :wink:

[quote]Cluster wrote:
tveddy wrote:
MarcAnthony wrote:
tveddy wrote:
comedypedro wrote:

What does that mean?

It means that I wouldn’t want to live there…

You sure it doesn’t mean they have the best beer in the world?[/quote]

They make a mighty fine pilsner. And firearms!

[quote]

[quote]

Have you compare dthe prices of beer in Dublin v’s Prague? Or checked the increase in Irish visiting Prague lately?

[quote]

[quote]

Have you compare dthe prices of beer in Dublin v’s Prague? Or checked the increase in Irish visiting Prague lately?

[quote]PGJ wrote:
I wonder how they liked all that shitty Budweiser. I read that the Germans were absolutely furious that Bud and McDonalds were the sponsors for the World Cup and that 70% of all beer sales at the stadiums had to be Bud. That sucks. Bud sucks. Forget the war in Iraq, forcing Europeans to drink Bud probably caused more hatred of America than anything else. Nothing is better than a dark heavy German brew with meat and kraut. [/quote]

lol, I think you’re correct. Pretty much any local brew will trump any mass-produced exported crap, although Bud is especially non-descript.

They, (Budweiser) also ran an ad campaign poking fun at American’s, some of which raised a smile but most missed the mark. The take home point was “we’re dumb, please drink our piss”. I think that’s what they were trying to say anyway. I guess if it converts some chavvy 17 year old away from Blue WKD or whatever else they drink it can’t be all bad though.

[quote]PGJ wrote:
I wonder how they liked all that shitty Budweiser. I read that the Germans were absolutely furious that Bud and McDonalds were the sponsors for the World Cup and that 70% of all beer sales at the stadiums had to be Bud. That sucks. Bud sucks. Forget the war in Iraq, forcing Europeans to drink Bud probably caused more hatred of America than anything else. Nothing is better than a dark heavy German brew with meat and kraut. [/quote]

You can’t blame America for Bud being the official beer of the World Cup. It’s basically Europe’s party and they chose Bud. They knew what it meant, yet they did it anyway. Is it America’s fault that the German beer-makers wouldn’t pony up enough Euros to be the official sponsor? If anything, Germans ought to be ashamed of themselves.

I agree, Bud is not a real good beer. It’s also not the worst beer outside of the U.S. (it’s on a par with Warsteiner or Dab, imo). It’s not even all that hated in some countries. In fact, the last time I was in London (2000), all of the Brits I went out with, and there were several of them, drank Bud exclusively while I was drinking bitters. We all thought of each other as crazy. Whatever floats your boat.

DB

Can anyone find a list of countries by alcohol consumption, not just beer? I’d wager that would move Russia (vodka, obviously) up into the top 3, and give the USA a big boost too.

EDIT: Found this, not what I expected at all.

http://bigpicture.typepad.com/comments/2004/07/alcohol_consump.html

[quote]dollarbill44 wrote:
PGJ wrote:
I wonder how they liked all that shitty Budweiser. I read that the Germans were absolutely furious that Bud and McDonalds were the sponsors for the World Cup and that 70% of all beer sales at the stadiums had to be Bud. That sucks. Bud sucks. Forget the war in Iraq, forcing Europeans to drink Bud probably caused more hatred of America than anything else. Nothing is better than a dark heavy German brew with meat and kraut.

You can’t blame America for Bud being the official beer of the World Cup. It’s basically Europe’s party and they chose Bud. They knew what it meant, yet they did it anyway. Is it America’s fault that the German beer-makers wouldn’t pony up enough Euros to be the official sponsor? If anything, Germans ought to be ashamed of themselves.

I agree, Bud is not a real good beer. It’s also not the worst beer outside of the U.S. (it’s on a par with Warsteiner or Dab, imo). It’s not even all that hated in some countries. In fact, the last time I was in London (2000), all of the Brits I went out with, and there were several of them, drank Bud exclusively while I was drinking bitters. We all thought of each other as crazy. Whatever floats your boat.

DB[/quote]

Bud is fine if you plan on drinking 10 beers.

If yo only want one or two beers there are so many tastier choices.

If you are looking for something cold you can drink fast Bud is good.

The nice thing about Bud is you know what you are getting.

Whenever you order an exotic beer you are taking your chances that it has been sitting around forever and tastes skunky.

There is nothing more amusing than a beer snob drinking a skunky old beer and claiming it is delicious.

For everybody going on about how German & European beer in generalr is superior to Bud, you should know that Anheuser & Busch who founded the brewery were both Germans, and that they got the recipe for the beer in the Czech Republic. It’s brewed in the US, and gained popularity there, but there’s not much else American about it.

[quote]Donut62 wrote:
Can anyone find a list of countries by alcohol consumption, not just beer? I’d wager that would move Russia (vodka, obviously) up into the top 3, and give the USA a big boost too.[/quote]

It’s Russia at the top. They also have about a 70% alcoholism rate there. I went there for 2 weeks back in 1985. We had vodka with every meal (well, I didn’t, I was only 16 and my parents kept taking the shot glass out of my hands).

[quote]Killa Cam wrote:
For everybody going on about how German & European beer in generalr is superior to Bud, you should know that Anheuser & Busch who founded the brewery were both Germans, and that they got the recipe for the beer in the Czech Republic. It’s brewed in the US, and gained popularity there, but there’s not much else American about it.[/quote]

By all accounts present-day Budweiser is far, far different from the Budweiser in the pre-prohibtion era. The fact that it is bottom fermented is the only connection it has to it’s German/Czech roots. The inclusion of rice effectively severs any ties the beer has to it’s German cousins brewed according to the Reinheitsgebot. The lack of Saaz hops makes it far different from it’s Czech namesake. Saying Budweiser isn’t an American concoction is like saying all cars are German because Benz built the first.