The Ten Worst Media Distortions

Of 2004

These aren’t even the worst…

http://www.mrc.org/projects/worst/welcome.asp

That is an exceptional piece. Thanks for the post!

[quote]ZEB wrote:
That is an exceptional piece. Thanks for the post![/quote]

You bet! I’m standing by, waiting to get flamed by the ABB crowd. Let’s see how long it takes them?

Quick Question:

For those here who see a liberal bias in the media, how long have you observed the media having this bias? Has it been the last 10-20 years or has it been like that even longer?

Thanks

A better title would’ve been:

“The Ten Worst Media Distortions As Seen from a VERY Conservative Point of View”

I am pretty sure that there are several distortions on the other side as well.

Perhaps the Media Research Center could examine that as well.

BookerT:

This study claims to show the New York Times has had a liberal bias back to 1946 – I haven’t read the whole thing, but the abstract looks interesting:

Riccardo Puglisi of the London School of Ecnomics analyzing New York Times issue coverage from 1946-1994.

“I analyze a dataset of news from the New York Times, from 1946 to 1994. Controlling for the incumbent President’s activity across issues, I find that during the presidential campaign the New York Times gives more emphasis to topics that are owned by the Democratic party (civil rights, health care, labour and social welfare), when the incumbent president is a Republican. This is consistent with the hypothesis that the New York Times has a Democratic partisanship, with some watchdog aspects, in that it gives more emphasis to issues over which the (Republican) incumbent is weak. Moreover, out of the presidential campaign, there are more stories about Democratic topics when the incumbent president is a Democrat.”

jackzeppelin:

I want to see some attempted rebuttals. I imagine they will try to nitpick one or two items, but the most telling thing to me is the Evan Thomas stuff.

It’s not a conspiracy in the media – it’s merely the result of having reporters and editors who are 90% liberal in charge of picking stories, headlines, article placements, etc. Each follows individual preference, and there aren’t enough conservatives there to argue with them or cause them to question those individual judgments.

[quote]BookerT wrote:
Quick Question:

For those here who see a liberal bias in the media, how long have you observed the media having this bias? Has it been the last 10-20 years or has it been like that even longer?

Thanks

[/quote]

I’m too young to know, but as long as I’ve been paying attention. I’m only in my early 30’s (just a punk kid ~ although moderate conservative).

thats great stuff