The Tel Rumeida Project

My club at my University hosted a guest speaker, who was one of the human rights workers working in the area. I have to post this here, because to be honest I found it to be very upsetting and disheartening.

"May 6, 2006 SATURDAY
At 2:30 PM, six settlers in their 30s, with white kippas (One settler had the Kach symbol, a fist inside of a
Star of David, on his kippa.) approached Mary, a 75 year old international HRW sitting at the top of the
Tel Rumeida hill 70 meters from the Tel Rumeida settlement. An Israeli male HRW, age 21, went over
immediately and sat next to Mary. They surrounded the HRWs and asked questions aggressively, such
as ?Where are you from?? ?What are you doing here?? ?What, you like Arabs?? They were also cursing
them.

The oldest settler, approximately 40 years old, got close to their faces and whispered ?I like to kill Arabs.
I like to kill Arabs.? Then another settler punched the male HRW in the face, who was still sitting down.
At that point, the soldier located 6 meters away approached and did and said nothing.

At about the same time, the oldest settler grabbed Mary?s purse off of her that was strapped to her
body, threw it on the ground and kicked it 10 meters away. Then the other HRW got up and picked up
the purse.
He began to return, then a settler came and kicked his right leg very hard from the side. Then the
soldier told the settlers to leave the HRWs alone.

The settlers spat on both HRWs repeatedly. Then the settlers insulted the HRWs to the soldier in
Hebrew. The soldier hugged the settler and said ?I understand.? The soldiers did not say anything to
the HRWs or ask if they were ok or call the police. 10 minutes later the HRW called the police and told
them of the attack. The police said ?come to the police station and file a complaint.? The HRW replied
told them that he had no way to get to the police station.

Then the police said that a patrol car was on its way and he could speak to them when it arrives. HRWs
waited there for 1 and 1/2 hours but no police car came to the area at all. Then the HRW called the
police station again to ask why they had not come. The police answered that a patrol car came and saw
that everything was ok and left. The HRW told the police that he still wanted to file a complaint. The
police said to come to the station."

http://www.telrumeidaproject.org/

Who works human rights for the Human Rights Workers?
An age old question.

You’re obviously an anti-Semite.

Anyone who criticizes Israel in any way, shape or form is an anti-Semite.

Bow down to AIPAC!

Who the fuck cares? The world is a nasty place. This is minor league bullshit.

The question you should ask yourself is why does your college feel the need to promote anyone that has a message that makes Israel look bad?

Do they also give voice to all the victims of the terrorists that have been attacking Israel?

Do you realize that you are being manipulated?

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:

The question you should ask yourself is why does your college feel the need to promote anyone that has a message that makes Israel look bad?

Do they also give voice to all the victims of the terrorists that have been attacking Israel?

Do you realize that you are being manipulated?[/quote]

Do you realise how biased and bigoted you are? Oh and absolutely imcompassionate? Yes they do give voice to the victims of the terrorists that have been attacking Israel. But you have to understand why all this happens. Address the deep roots of the problem and fix those. Fixing the surface of the issue will do nothing, and only compound things further.

But imagine this. Your daughter leaves your house to walk to school. Along the way, a bunch of kids throw rocks at her while the cops sit there and hug them and their parents do nothing about them. You go to fetch her to keep her safe, but you can’t get to the school because of a blockade, where they strip search you for 7 hours. You’re daughter is then shot in the head while at school and riddled with bullets. Then when you are not allowed to return, and forced back home, your house has been demolished by a bulldozer. You have nothing. Now what do you feel like doing? Going over to the people who did this and talk to them about it? Or grabbing a gun and shooting them. You should understand better. I don’t have a family. Yet I still feel the pain of people on both sides of this story.

We address the causes of the problems, and fix the situation up for both sides.

[quote]Shoebolt wrote:

But imagine this. Your daughter leaves your house to walk to school. Along the way, a bunch of kids throw rocks at her while the cops sit there and hug them and their parents do nothing about them. You go to fetch her to keep her safe, but you can’t get to the school because of a blockade, where they strip search you for 7 hours. You’re daughter is then shot in the head while at school and riddled with bullets. Then when you are not allowed to return, and forced back home, your house has been demolished by a bulldozer. You have nothing. Now what do you feel like doing? [/quote]

Well, I’d feel like not supporting terrorists anymore, if these were the wages to be paid.

I could just as easily begin my own story about asking you how you would feel if you were an Israeli whose family had been murdered in a cowardly suicide bombing at a bakery and you saw HRWs giving aid and support to enemies that have no interest in respecting your right to live - they only believe in eradicating you from the face of the earth. How should that Israeli feel toward the HRWs?

It is an awful situation over there, with rough stories from both sides. And you should learn a hard lesson - HRWs are rarely non-partisan soup peddlers just trying to help feed and clothe people. They are radical ideologues who have an agenda far narrower than ‘human rights’ - ask any of them.

[quote]Shoebolt wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:

Do you realise how biased and bigoted you are? Oh and absolutely imcompassionate? Yes they do give voice to the victims of the terrorists that have been attacking Israel. But you have to understand why all this happens. Address the deep roots of the problem and fix those. Fixing the surface of the issue will do nothing, and only compound things further.

But imagine this. Your daughter leaves your house to walk to school. Along the way, a bunch of kids throw rocks at her while the cops sit there and hug them and their parents do nothing about them. You go to fetch her to keep her safe, but you can’t get to the school because of a blockade, where they strip search you for 7 hours. You’re daughter is then shot in the head while at school and riddled with bullets. Then when you are not allowed to return, and forced back home, your house has been demolished by a bulldozer. You have nothing. Now what do you feel like doing? Going over to the people who did this and talk to them about it? Or grabbing a gun and shooting them. You should understand better. I don’t have a family. Yet I still feel the pain of people on both sides of this story.

[/quote]

Someday you will look back and see how you are being maniplulated. It is hard to see while you are stuck in the college environment.

Sure these guys are assholes but the fact that someone flew halfway around the world to tell you this tale of low level harassment should make you wonder why.

Did they go on to tell the tale as to why these guys were mad at the aid workers? Did they talk about how these assholes sisters were blown up by suicide bombers?

Did they tell about how donations for humanitarian aid ends up in the hands of Hamas and other terrorists?

Was her story even true?

The people that came to your school came to manipulate you.

[quote]thunderbolt23 wrote:
Shoebolt wrote:

But imagine this. Your daughter leaves your house to walk to school. Along the way, a bunch of kids throw rocks at her while the cops sit there and hug them and their parents do nothing about them. You go to fetch her to keep her safe, but you can’t get to the school because of a blockade, where they strip search you for 7 hours. You’re daughter is then shot in the head while at school and riddled with bullets. Then when you are not allowed to return, and forced back home, your house has been demolished by a bulldozer. You have nothing. Now what do you feel like doing?

Well, I’d feel like not supporting terrorists anymore, if these were the wages to be paid.

I could just as easily begin my own story about asking you how you would feel if you were an Israeli whose family had been murdered in a cowardly suicide bombing at a bakery and you saw HRWs giving aid and support to enemies that have no interest in respecting your right to live - they only believe in eradicating you from the face of the earth. How should that Israeli feel toward the HRWs?

It is an awful situation over there, with rough stories from both sides. And you should learn a hard lesson - HRWs are rarely non-partisan soup peddlers just trying to help feed and clothe people. They are radical ideologues who have an agenda far narrower than ‘human rights’ - ask any of them. [/quote]

Well said.

[quote]thunderbolt23 wrote:
Shoebolt wrote:

But imagine this. Your daughter leaves your house to walk to school. Along the way, a bunch of kids throw rocks at her while the cops sit there and hug them and their parents do nothing about them. You go to fetch her to keep her safe, but you can’t get to the school because of a blockade, where they strip search you for 7 hours. You’re daughter is then shot in the head while at school and riddled with bullets. Then when you are not allowed to return, and forced back home, your house has been demolished by a bulldozer. You have nothing. Now what do you feel like doing?

It is an awful situation over there, with rough stories from both sides. And you should learn a hard lesson - HRWs are rarely non-partisan soup peddlers just trying to help feed and clothe people. They are radical ideologues who have an agenda far narrower than ‘human rights’ - ask any of them. [/quote]

“If I were an Arab leader I would never make terms with Israel. That is natural: we have taken their country ? We come from Israel, but two thousand years ago, and what is that to them? There has been anti-Semitism, the Nazis, Hitler and Auschwitz, but was that their fault? They only see one thing: we have come here and stolen their country. Why should they accept that?”

David Ben-Gurion

Shoebolt wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:

Someday you will look back and see how you are being maniplulated. It is hard to see while you are stuck in the college environment.

Sure these guys are assholes but the fact that someone flew halfway around the world to tell you this tale of low level harassment should make you wonder why.

Did they go on to tell the tale as to why these guys were mad at the aid workers? Did they talk about how these assholes sisters were blown up by suicide bombers?

Did they tell about how donations for humanitarian aid ends up in the hands of Hamas and other terrorists?

Was her story even true?

[/quote]

Oh forgive me then, I didn’t know you thought it was perfectly fine to counter terrorism with terrorism.

And by the way, for your ethnocentric mind, here’s some meal, the speaker wasn’t even Arab. This guy is mexican, dropped out of school to travel to India to volunteer in an orphanage without an organization to fall back on, then spent a whole half year teaching English to poor kids in India. Then he heard about the neighborhood of Tel Rumeida. He decided his abilities would be best used there. He acted as human shields for many civilians. Oh wait, despite all this, he raised thousands of dollars to travel all around North America and Europe to manipulate me into just listening to what he had to say.

Quite some bright logic there Zap.

As for these settlers? You think they have justification to be mad?? Why are they on Palestinian land anyway. Nevermind Zap, you won’t understand anyway, you think it’s better to counter the terrorists by killing their children.

Radical ideologues, narrow minded… hey thunder, what have you done for the people over there then?

[quote]Shoebolt wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:
Shoebolt wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:

Someday you will look back and see how you are being manipulated. It is hard to see while you are stuck in the college environment.

Was her story even true?

Oh forgive me then, I didn’t know you thought it was perfectly fine to counter terrorism with terrorism.

And by the way, for your ethnocentric mind, here’s some meal, the speaker wasn’t even Arab. This guy is mexican, dropped out of school to travel to India to volunteer in an orphanage without an organization to fall back on, then spent a whole half year teaching English to poor kids in India. Then he heard about the neighborhood of Tel Rumeida. He decided his abilities would be best used there. He acted as human shields for many civilians. Oh wait, despite all this, he raised thousands of dollars to travel all around North America and Europe to manipulate me into just listening to what he had to say.

Quite some bright logic there Zap.

As for these settlers? You think they have justification to be mad?? Why are they on Palestinian land anyway. Nevermind Zap, you won’t understand anyway, you think it’s better to counter the terrorists by killing their children.
[/quote]

Perhaps they are on Palestinian land because they act as a buffer against all the attacks against Israel?

Perhaps if Israel was not constantly attacked they would not have expanded their territory and created these buffer zones.

Of course now that Israel has been giving these territories back the terrorism is stopped, after all Arafat won a Nobel Peace Prize for this.

I think it disgusting that our childrens minds are being poisoned in these institutions of higher learning.

Some guy comes in and gives you a load of propaganda and you cannot see through it because as a college student you are at a very vulnerable age.

It is apparent you bought it hook line and sinker because the focus of your initial post was on how bad the Israelis are because someone spit on someone else.

I assume you are normal college age. If so please understand that I have been aware of and reading about this conflict since before you were born. Your claims that I am biased and bigoted are foolish.

I understand that Israel takes some tough action. Some of it is justifiable, some of it is just because people are assholes. Sometimes they are just plain wrong.

What you don’t understand is that the guy that came to your school to talk to you was there to manipulate you and it appears to be working. I would bet he has strong ties to one of many groups that wants to destroy Israel.

Frankly the Palestinians do not need the help of a Mexican aid worker. They can do things for themselves. His traveling the country is not to collect food to feed the poor in Palestine. He is spreading their political message.

[quote]Shoebolt wrote:
Radical ideologues, narrow minded… hey thunder, what have you done for the people over there then?[/quote]

What have you done?

Most of my charitable contributions are to feed and cloth people locally although I will donate to some international disaster relief efforts.

Of course I recently read that my country donates more to Palestinian relief than any other country. Not as much as Israel gets but if we gave them the same type of aid we gave Israel they would wipe Israel off the map.

As you see, this is pointless, as you continue to blame me for seeing the Palestinian side of the story, which let me say is a humanitarian message as well as a political message.

Yet you continue to take a one sided approach too, taking the side of Israel, who I feel has a bigger responsibility in holding back, considering it has a much larger army and a much more developed economy than Palestine’s poverty-stricken neighborhoods. Yet they have killed more children, more innocent civilians (BT’Selem) and have way more political prisoners held without charges than any Palestinian faction has. Plus they hold Palestinian land, Palestine doesn’t hold Israeli land. It is also morally irresponsible to hold an entire people in military stranglehold because of the actions of a few hideously misguided terrorists.

Leave your political justifications for war out of this.

The atrocities in Tel Rumeida and Hebron are real. If the whole situation really is two sided, I’d rather help the helpless, who are suffering more, than those who can easily help themselves.

Shoebolt wrote:
Radical ideologues, narrow minded… hey thunder, what have you done for the people over there then?

What have you done?

Most of my charitable contributions are to feed and cloth people locally although I will donate to some international disaster relief efforts.

Of course I recently read that my country donates more to Palestinian relief than any other country. Not as much as Israel gets but if we gave them the same type of aid we gave Israel they would wipe Israel off the map.
[/quote]

Stop being childish and reciprocating questions. You should know, you’re older than me. Your country donates more to Palestine than any other country, yet it is because it has the most money. The country with more money to spare can give more money to any cause, regardless of how unimportant it feels it is.

And don’t bore me with monetary contributions. That should be a duty to every citizen in every country. These people are risking their lives. Sorry if you feel that everyone is evil and manipulative, but I guess thats just you.

[quote]Shoebolt wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:
Shoebolt wrote:

What have you done?

Stop being childish and reciprocating questions. You should know, you’re older than me. Your country donates more to Palestine than any other country, yet it is because it has the most money. The country with more money to spare can give more money to any cause, regardless of how unimportant it feels it is.

And don’t bore me with monetary contributions. That should be a duty to every citizen in every country. These people are risking their lives. Sorry if you feel that everyone is evil and manipulative, but I guess thats just you.
[/quote]

You brought up the subject. I answered it honsestly and you didn’t. Why are you getting pissy about it?

Shoebolt wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:
Shoebolt wrote:

What have you done?

You brought up the subject. I answered it honsestly and you didn’t. Why are you getting pissy about it?
[/quote]

Lol Zap I wasnt getting pissy so stop dodging my questions. It isn’t my fault you’re too nationalistic and ethnocentric to see through propaganda yourself. Lets just ignore us and let other people see the website.