The Tactical Life

You are right about the push ups. Based on my experience, the greatest asset in combat is the ability to think while everything is turning to shit around you, move, sprint, conditioning to wear 60 to 90 pounds of battle rattle in 120 degree heat for hours.

pull ups or similar upper body work is needed, because, I don’t care what anyone says, there is no easy way to pull yourself through a “window” or go over some mud wall or crawl through some rat tunnel without that base strength.

There is an old saying: “Legs feed the wolf” and I firmly believe it. From stepping up into the bird to using your legs to push open a damaged MRAP rear door, you need strength. and of course the greatest asset in combat is the ability to de-ass the situation ASAP.)))

1 Like

Welcome and I think you are way ahead of the game. Your “what I am good at” is also excellent. 2JS and Treco gave you good advice.

1. as they said, think about taking some basic classes in a practical martial art. No disrespect , but Tai Chi is not the way to go.

2. Depending on the state you live in, a lot of “gun shops” have indoor ranges and offer a 8 to 16 hour familiarization courses on the use of handguns. They provide some basic handguns, teach you proper mechanics, and have you shoot some drills from the 3 and 7 yard line.

IMHO: Never go and buy a handgun just because it looks sexy in a a magazine or some “action hero” is is carrying one in the movies. Example: James Bond carries a Wather PPK, .380 caliber, a total piece of crap that is one of the hardest handguns to learn. Handguns are like clothes, you must find something that fits you.

1. I would not worry about “defending” someone else. If someone attacks your wife and child, there will be no hesitation on your part. Good people don’t “think” about protecting, they just act.

2. Thanks for posting and don’t be a stranger, brother.

From what I was told by a member of the selection committer, this is going to kick in after basic. The responsibility is going to be placed on the solider to train to standards. However, it is still up in the air and I don’t see the Army giving up PT in the mornings for basic.

1 Like

Great post, brother.

1 Like

Thought for the Day: “Humiliation is a thing never forgotten” Frank Herbert

And to feed my / scfi/geek side, take a look at this:

scfi

The exoskeleton delivers the right torque at the right time to assist knee flex and extension. The exoskeleton ultimately reduces the energy needed to cross terrain, squat or kneel. These benefits are most noticeable when ascending or descending stairs or navigating inclined surfaces.

This system boosts leg capacity for physically demanding tasks that require repetitive or continuous kneeling or squatting, or lifting, dragging, carrying, or climbing with heavy loads.

With the added news that our operators may soon be getting upgraded weapons systems that will increase the range and effectiveness of their weapons.

2 Likes

Do they have Sparta kick mode? That’s the most important thing.

1 Like

Ive been in a lot of fights, a couple involving knives, guns, bats, etc. And I’ve never lost my fear.

The only person I’ve ever known that I truly believe had no fear at all of anything is in prison now for life. There was a lot wrong with him.

1 Like

Isdatnutty,

SkyzykS is totally correct.

Fear will make you smart, make you better. If you are in a lethal force situation as a solider, LEO, or civilian, you are going to experience fear in one form or another. The most important thing is not let it control you to the state you cannot act. Being catatonic during a violent situation is not a good thing.

I am scared on every situation I have ever been in, the key that I use is this:

Now, I don’t want to come off sounding like Yoda, but for me, I just say to myself" yep, this is real, I am feeling my old friend fear then I just acknowledge the feeling, allow it to pass through me and then say to myself" well, glad you are here" and go about doing the job.

Psychopaths aside, every professional I ever worked with feels fear on some level. Some get very quiet (me), some start acting like stand up comedians, some get irritated and become instant assholes, some eat more, some smoke more, some get really obsessive about their kit. The list goes on and on. All handle it in their on way and then go do the job.

Some real life things I have experienced about violence.

1. If being in a bad situation, with the chances of dying are high, I have never thought whether the man or woman next to me was gay.

2. I have never heard anyone cry out asking for the devil after being shot.

3. I don’t care what workout program you are doing or if you have a 400 lb. bench press.

4. I don’t care what race you are.

5. I don’t care if you are a man or a woman or a vegan, can you hold it together and shoot? fight?

6. Medics, Paramedics, are your angels.

7. I don’t care whether you are carrying the latest technical whiz bang carbine or British .303 Lee-Infield, can you put rounds into the fight? do you know how to use whatever weapon you have?

8. The point is this: if you are in a lethal force situation, you don’t care about a lot of things, so that leaves you the mental room to control the thing we call fear.

Just some thoughts, probably as clear as mud…

3 Likes

A big problem I see with the new PT test is that time will have to be dedicated to teaching the skills involved, then building the strength necessary to reach the standards, before you can test them. When I was in Basic there were a lot of privates who had shitty running form and none of the drill sgts bothered to show them how to fix it. It was up to those of us who had experience running to help them.

IMO, a two mile run will tell you who is fit and who couldn’t care less about staying in shape. The other things, instead of being part of a test should just be part of training.

1 Like

Some thoughts on fear and violence…

I’ve come to believe that there are two broad categories of violence. Social and predatory. I’ve written about this before in this thread, so I’ll keep the distinction concise. Predatory violence is when someone’s out to seriously hurt you, kill you or take something from you. That’s always scary and I’ve never been in such a situation without a lot of adrenaline pumping and profound feelings of fear. Fortunately only two events in my life truly fit that bill, plus the only dangerously violent encounter I was involved with as a bouncer where social violence morphed into predatory violence against a person I first bounced and later ended up protecting.

Social violence is when someone gets violent or aggressive not because they want to take, kill or maim, but for other reasons. This is FAR more common than predatory violence. Perhaps they want to seem like they’re in control of whatever’s happening. Perhaps they want to seem dangerous to impress others. Perhaps they have difficulty controlling their emotions. Perhaps they’re just a bully. Perhaps they’re acting like an asshole and someone comes along to check their behavior, then things escalate. The reasons for assholes getting violent can be endless.

My experience with this obviously stems from being a bouncer at a cool little dive bar, but the same kind of situations can materialize at weddings, graduation parties, or any other situation where people interact with each other. Alcohol is often involved, but not always. In my 20’s I would have been too frightened to confront someone who is exhibiting social violence in most situations. I would have been the guy standing back while things played out or filming whatever’s happening on my cellphone.

In short, my fear of failing, looking stupid or getting hurt prevented me from taking action in several situations where I wished I could have done something. In all honesty, I don’t think I was even equipped to produce a better outcome if I were to take action. Rough-housing, backyard scraps and play-wrestling as a child can go a long way towards keeping yourself safe from bullies growing up, but that’s a different sort of game than controlling violent adults if you’re the type of person who wants to avoid assault charges. You can’t just go around decking people if you want to stay out of jail as an adult. You have to be able to respond to someone else escalating violence.

Two years of jiu jitsu training, four years of strength training and several years of bouncing later, I find that the side-effects of fear have melted away when it comes to social violence. That’s not to say I’ve become reckless, but it is to say that I’m better at reading the situation, watching people’s hands and staying calm when I take it upon myself to go up to an asshole and say that he (or she) needs to leave, then handling whatever happens after we have that conversation.

To be clear, the fear is always there. What can melt away with training and experiencing violence are the side-effects of fear. You can speak clearly, calmly and without a shaky voice. You can stay calm in tense situations and have the presence of mind to keep yourself protected against aggression (see prayer stance and combat footing) while you tell the asshole that he can’t be an asshole anymore. You gain the confidence to be the guy who tells someone else to stop, whether it’s grabbing women’s asses, being aggressive with other guys or just being an all-around jerk.

I suppose it’s possible that some people are born with the ability to step up, do the right thing in tense situations and back it up with appropriate force, but I sure wasn’t. It took a lot of training to make me into the kind of guy who can do that. Hopefully I don’t get killed or maimed because of it, but I’ll probably keep rolling the dice whenever I see a situation where I feel like I can produce an improved outcome.

Fear is always present to some degree or another, but the overwhelming majority of socially violent encounters I’ve dealt with in the last year or so have involved a level of fear that I imagine a Jr. High gym teacher feels when he’s breaking up a fight between two seventh graders. That doesn’t happen without training, not for me at least.

Train with purpose and as much controlled violence as you can. Get smashed. Smash others. Shake hands and grow together. Just watch the hands. Always watch the hands, and remember that there are no guarantees off of the mats.

Very wise words, brother, and something everyone on here needs to read.

The Sunday Comics: Lets see yours

daughter

urber

This vid has been making the rounds lately. Great example of reaction time and restraint. The way the LEO calls it in before engaging the other dude is insane.

1 Like

Can you expand on “watch the hands”? What exactly do you mean by this? At what point do you consider hand movement an attempt to assault?

When in a confrontation I have always tried to act and look cool and calm, but often wonder if I am vulnerable to a quick sucker punch, as I avoid having my hands up as I this would look aggressive.

tweet

First and foremost, I’m talking about weapons.

My last chippy bouncing encounter involved a guy who refused to leave the property. He was over-served (which I brought up with the bartender), but that’s not always an easy thing to manage when other people are buying drinks. Especially rounds of shots.

I made the call to cut the guy off and the bartender supported me. After a minute or two of unproductive discussion, I grabbed his tricep to show I meant business. (As an aside, a tricep grab can transition into a Russian Tie quite well, which is a great stand-up grappling technique in a variety of circumstances). The guy realized that the bartender and I were both serious that he was cut off, and he walked out on his own without any more force.

Once outside he just went into total asshole behavior. He was a big dude, roughly 6’00" and probably close to 300lbs. He kept trying to get back in, I kept denying him entry and suggesting he start walking or call a cab/Uber. After 5 or so minutes of his nonsense I had a regular tell the bartender to call the cops. I’m not about to commit assault for a side-job, so I resigned myself to putting up with his bullshit until the cops showed up. A little while after that he got in his car, presumably to drive himself home while he was tanked.

I took a picture of his license plate as he was pulling out of the lot. When my flash went off he put his car in park and rushed me. He had his right hand in his pocket the entire time. I pushed him back with moderate force and told him to show me his hands. I raised my voice for the first time in the entire shit-show, saying “SHOW ME YOUR RIGHT HAND!”

He did, and i checked his pocket afterwards and there was nothing in it.

The cops came by a few minutes later and took him away.

Things played out well. I didn’t need to fight and the drunk idiot didn’t get in his car to endanger everyone else on the road. Hopefully he learned some kind of lesson from the whole ordeal, but my money is on him still being a total asshole.

Regarding the hands… In that moment of uncertainty I was ready to own that right hand at all costs. My instructor’s beaten that into me. I’ll die on that hill of hand control if I have to. Beat me all you want with your free hand, I will own the hand that’s in the pocket or in the holster, hell or high water, and I will hopefully find a way to derange your shoulder joint while I’m owning that limb.

Make Jiu Jitsu Violent Again!

This is a good question. Someone punching, violently grabbing or kicking you is clearly assault. At that point the whistle has blown and you need to protect yourself. The asshole I mentioned above was probably guilty of assault when he charged me and said I’d be “sorry” for taking his picture, but even that was borderline and I was mostly concerned with his right hand since he was drunk as a skunk and in no position to beat me in a fight without a weapon.

That asshole slapped my side, slapped my belly and slapped my arm. I didn’t consider any of these to be assault, even though I probably could have. I stayed in prayer position with combat footing while this clown acted like a clown. I read the situation and didn’t feel like I was in danger, but I was ready to arm-drag and/or clinch the guy at the drop of a hat, then go to work from there. That’s bouncing.

My instructor said it quite well. If things get violent, you’re either starting in a bad position or you’re committing assault.

1 Like

Watch the clip that Vrednic posted above. Hands kill. Bad guy’s hand was inside his jacket for around a second before the pistol came out. Someone will usually (not always) touch a concealed weapon one or more times before they pull it.

Concerning vulnerability to a sucker punch, your best protection after awareness of body language is distance management. If you are standing so you can just see someone’s feet in your peripheral vision while you look them in the face, they likely can’t punch/cut/stab you without taking a step toward you first. Some call this your reactionary gap.

Concerning keeping your hands up, keep your hands up. There are a couple of ways to this without looking aggressive. Some of my favorites are the “thinking man”; one hand grips your chin thoughtfully and the other arm drapes across your mid section like The Thinker sculpture. There’s the “I don’t want no trouble”; hands up shoulder height, palms out flat toward the threat in the universal gesture for calm down/stay back. There’s the “Mediterranean man”; basically talking with your hands, using gestures to mask the fact that you’re in a defensive posture. This one takes the most practice to make it look natural, but has the added benefit of being able to move your hands to check his hands without it being obvious that’s what you’re doing.

A hand movement is an attempt at an assault when I reasonably believe based on my training and experience that this person is about to assault me. My line in the sand will not be the same as yours. The trick is being able to explain that to someone else, after the fact.

1 Like

Thanks for posting the vid and thanks to 2JS and Batman730 for excellent responses.

One point I would like to bring up: the cop was very fast in blocking the weapon and returning fire, but, it was a one handed shot. We train constantly in a two hand solid hold but you would be surprised at the number of encounters that are started with a smooth draw and one handed shot.

This is one of the critical areas that is being grossly ignored in LEO / military training. (IMO). I will post some thoughts on “one hand shooting” tomorrow.

Motivational Monday: One of the hardest things to learn and totally accept is there are and always will be, people who are better than you. I was very stubborn about this and it cost me valuable time. If doesn’t matter what your profession is or who you are, learn from those who are better. Never lie to yourself, don’t say I was having a “bad day” or “well, in real life that person couldn’t have done that to me” Seek out professionals in your training, seek knowledge, seek to become the best you can be ,because in the end, it comes down to you.

learn

“Learning to defend yourself with your hands, like learning to drive or shoot, means repetition, analysis, adjustment, and trying again. If you approach the process expecting to become Randy Couture in a matter of weeks, the problem isn’t the program … it’s you”. ----LOR

“Nobody wants war, but sometimes it takes violence to create peace. Like it or don’t like it…that’s how shit works”—WFA.

Continuing down the rabbit hole of hand placement and being ready without escalating the encounter, I think setting can make a difference in how you approach it.

As a bouncer, if I put hands on everyone who threatened me verbally I’d be putting hands on a lot more people. If I put hands on everyone who makes light contact with me I’d be putting hands on a lot more people. I’m also on video, as are all of the people I interact with. My goal is also very specific, protect myself, protect others and get the person outside and keep them there. Call the cops if they don’t leave on their own. No hero stuff or teaching anyone any lessons in the parking lot a’la Steven Seagal, even though there have been plenty of jerks I’d like to smash the hell out of.

My threshold for taking action is a bit lower if I am just out-and-about minding my own business. I’m also typically armed with a concealed pistol, and I’m also being safety-minded to begin with, staying out of bad areas and generally minding my own business. If I decide to not mind my own business it would be in a situation where I’m ready to intervene and believe I can produce an improved outcome without being the one to escalate.

Back to hand position, I’ve defaulted to prayer position (similar to what Batman730 described above) where my elbows are tucked, my hands are up and my fingertips are touching each other. As I’m talking with someone who may get aggressive I’ll go back and forth from that to the “I don’t want trouble” stance, still with elbows tucked but my hands up and palms facing outward. I keep my right foot back a half-step and on my toes with my left foot leading and planted. This footing puts you in a position where you can either shoot in quickly or keep your footing if you’re shoved.

@theBird Try starting some of your rolls like this if you haven’t. Most guys start crouched with arms outstretched, looking for grips right away. That’s generally better for sport grappling, but you’re missing a training opportunity to get accustomed to working from a more upright posture with your elbows tucked and hands up. Another drill you can do in a roll is having you and your partner act like you’re reaching into a pocket and playing a game of owning the hand from there. Get some butter knives or training knives out if you want to step up the realism a bit. Add some palm strikes if you want to step up the realism a bit more.

This is why I’ve come to favor grappling with violent guys on the job. We’ve had a couple of former bouncers who just clobber people and one of them ended up getting sued (and fired). It’s all on video and I’ve never had to explain to a cop or a lawyer why anyone I put hands on is all cut up with a swollen face or missing a tooth. I still haven’t gone to the ground with anyone yet, that’s only a last resort for me, but I’ve eaten a few inept punches to take their back, get to a clinch and sometimes put THEM on the ground.

Here’s a fun little video of a measured response against someone who was verbally aggressive but hadn’t actually hurt anyone (yet). The way this jackass was acting is very typical of what I deal with at the bar. Intoxicated, angry and very unpredictable. You’ve got no idea what they will do. People can be on more than just alcohol when they’re out at the bar too. There’s nothing like a coked-up drunk guy who thinks he’s invincible and doing nothing wrong by acting like a maniac.

1 Like

Prayer stance from when John Danaher still had hair. From his and Renzo Gracie’s outstanding book Mastering Jujitsu.

2 Likes