The Tactical Life

I’m getting married so, getting laid will be what it will be (they say sex stops after marriage, we’ll see). I doubt the fanny pack will have much to do with it either way. There are actually a lot of concealed carry fanny packs out there, but I loathe “tacticool” gear made in China. And I’d much rather get my hands on something than order it from the net.

I’m not worried about drawing while in the kayak. Public access points on rivers and lakes are out of sight out of mind kind of places, where sketchy people come to fuck and do drugs. If you arrive at your take out spot and it’s over run with shady people who don’t want you around, there’s no way you can make a quick exit.

But the fanny pack will mostly be for other stuff. For my pistol/revolver I hope to scratch up enough dough for a Kenai chest rig.

Have you looked into shoulder holster bags. I have seen some leather ones the are pretty cool.

Yeah, I’ve got a shoulder holster bag, it’s camo, Tactical Tailor brand. They make good stuff. Reminds me of my old school possibles bag I carry with my flintlock. But the fanny pack seems less conspicuous. People have seen them around here, even though they aren’t as common as they once were. Guys in my area don’t wear shoulder bags.

I realize this is getting off topic but:

Yeh I’ve heard that but after 28 years of marriage, with the exception of a feww lulls, haven’t seen it to be true.

As for CC, I typically use IWB hybrid leather/kydex, although for the steel of my 1911’s I prefer all leather. It’s just too bulky sometimes.

I don’t think a fanny pack will make any difference either since you’re getting married, and nowadays probably wouldn’t even for a single guy, I know there are some binder/portfolio things that I’ve heard are ok for off body carry as well. And I know what you mean about ordering something you’ve not had in your hands. Internet advertising can be deceptive. As my late father would say, “Don’t buy a pig in a poke.” (A poke being a Ky term for a bag).

I carried something similar to this (http://www.tacticaltailor.com/firstresponderbag.aspx)) when I was on an assault team in 2005-2007. I had a main bag in a vehicle but was able to carry everything I needed for immediate life-threats on the objective in this bag.

Thought for the day:

_“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” _
― Gandhi or as SOFlete says: Die Living

I had to fly up to BAF yesterday and while killing time waiting for the wind to die, was talking to the pilot who was from a small town in Kansas. He was actually born outside Hesston and that reminded me of the active shooter incident that occurred there last year. I am going to repost my reply because, I feel it is important to study all active shooter situations and how they were solved. No matter where you are, have a plan:

The Kansas Shooting:

We discussed this around the Christmas holidays and this current active shooter situation brings into focus some points we discussed:

•It is one thing to make a dynamic entry on hostile targets when you have the full backing of trained team members or at least backup from another officer, but it takes a rare brand of courage to enter into a deadly active shooter situation by yourself. The Chief of Hesston, Kansas did just that and rightfully so. The only way to stop to an active shooter is to attack. With over 200 employees in the business, he saved many, many lives.

A quick Google check this morning shows that Hesston, Kansas has a population of around 3,700. A check with PoliceOne.com shows Hesson has a total of SEVEN police officers. Think about that for a minute, this wasn’t LAPD, LASO, Houston, Dallas, NYPD , this was small town USA. What do you think their level of training is? I can tell you one thing, they didn’t have a large training budget, which makes this all the more remarkable. You do not survive situations like this unless you train and train a lot on your own.

•I don’t know the Chief’s background and I don’t really need to. He has already told me he is a dedicated warrior willing to give his life for the community he serves. There are a lot of children in that community tonight who still have parents based on that one warrior’s actions. My deepest respect, Chief. I will go through a door with you any day.

•Be ready to defend yourself and your family. As this case points out, there are no safe places. If you think your area is safe and nothing will ever happen there, just ask the population of Hesston, Kansas this morning what they think about that rational. Be safe, train hard, develop good situational awareness, have a plan, make a decision on weapons, if you have family, discuss it. Do anything, however small if seems.

Tactical thinking takes many forms and lessons can be learned by the mistakes of the past. Consider buying this book, I have read it several times and have found it applies to many problems.

https://www.amazon.com/Lure-Tiger-Out-Mountains-Strategems/dp/0749910976

SjoConn, s_afsoc and Uncle_Gabby,

Thanks for the replies on the med kits, good advise for all.

Uncle_Gabby,
Some holster information on this thread:

Combat Handguns, Rigs and Positions - #14 by Robert_A

Was told about this company yesterday. For those of you who spend time in BFE, check it out:

Happy National Airborne Day

Reminds me of the “Band of Brothers” movie :).
Did u know they have made a touristy participative site at Camp Toccoa? Hot ass Georgia but might be fun to see and run the mountain.

No, I didn’t know that, wonder how authenic it is? Thanks for letting me know. The last time I was in that area , several of us rappelled down Tallulah Gorge. Beautiful area.

Dunno but they have a site. I just don’t happen to have the URL on hand.

I’m jealous of that rappel dude. Yer a lucky bastard.

*Edit: here’s the URL cause I HAD to look again
https://www.camptoccoaatcurrahee.org/

I have to be reading this wrong. The way I’m reading it, one would have to average 125 points per event to pass. I don’t see how anyone is getting 100+ on almost any event. Am I missing something?

Couple examples: Pushups. Assuming you get 1 point per pushup for the first 40, and then the points double, 60 pushups, which is really fucking fast, gets you 80 points. Doesn’t come close to 125. And on the bench press, that would be 160 for me. I could probably get something around 30 reps there (just a guess). I don’t think that’s weak. And that would put me at 78.

So how the hell do you get to 1100???

secondly: that kb/back squat challenge seems really easy for someone with a huge squat, but that doesn’t make that person capable of the mountain run. I can back squat 328 easily (I squat close to 600), and I’d have no problem knocking out the kb squats. I’d get winded as hell, but I’d get it done. I don’t see how in the world that would translate to me running up a goddamn mountain.

The minimums are worth 100 points.

1 Like

I agree. Based on my own experience, you train to run up a mountain by running up a mountain. As far as the SF test, I dont agree with a lot of it either, but, it is what some HQ weenie says it is. Democracy doesnt exit in the military, however, I was suprised you could choose to either run or ruck, never seen choices before. According to what I have seen on some AFN spots, the Marines are letting troops choose between pull ups and push ups on a basic PT test. Astounding.

Irishman92,
I dont know if you wish to pay for a specific training course for the Australian military. I have never bought a program from MTI, so, I cannot give any advise. I was sent a flyer this morning, thought I would pass it along.

This falls under the category of " I have been gone from the real world too long" I never knew this existed. Be curious to know what is the “proper attire” is to attend this function.

Attend the Concealed Carry Fashion Show at the Inaugural NRA Carry Guard Expo

FAIRFAX, Va. – The 2017 NRA Carry Guard Expo Concealed Carry Fashion Show is scheduled for Friday, August 25, at the Wisconsin Center in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. The Fashion Show will showcase the Expo’s top concealed carry products and demonstrate the features and benefits to an audience of firearm enthusiasts and industry media. The audience will vote for their top three favorite concealed carry products at the event’s conclusion.

This unique event at the NRA Carry Guard Expo is sponsored by 5.11 Tactical and CrossBreed Holsters and will feature more than 50 products from 20 manufacturers. Both male and female models will walk the runway, showcasing products ranging from conventional pistol holsters and accessories to concealed carry purses, bags, and much more.

Doors open at 6 p.m., and the event begins at 6:30 p.m. Tickets for the NRA Carry Guard Expo Concealed Carry Fashion Show are $10, and can be purchased online here.

The fashion show is part of the inaugural NRA Carry Guard Expo, scheduled for Aug. 25-27 at the Wisconsin Center. The NRA Carry Guard Expo is an educational and interactive experience dedicated to individuals interested in increasing their knowledge and skills of personal protection, concealed carry and home defense tactics. This event will equip novices and experts alike with the products, skills, knowledge and mindset necessary to be prepared and respond when a threat arises.

I would like to express my sincere condolences to the victims and families of the Barcelona attack. I have seen the aftermaths of this type of shit for years, hopefully, as I type this, the Islamic Jihadist scrum are being hunted down and shot to death.

Thought for the day:

"I don’t lose any sleep at night over the potential for failure. I cannot even spell the word"

_General James "Mad Dog" Mattis_

gym

1 Like

I second the condolences and feel the same. It sucks that when caught the attackers need to be interrogated, delaying such a sentence. But I s’pose interrogation presents some opportunities for payback.