T Nation

The Tactical Life

Batman730:

Hope this post finds you and your family safe and well. As you probably know, there is a program where retired military working dogs and Police K-9 dogs are being used to help service members cope with PTSD. I was introduced to a young woman yesterday who lost a arm to an IED. She was given a “retired” security Shepard from the Marines and seemed to really be enjoying the dog.

Anyway, she sent me a humorous photo and though I would pass it on to you since you are in training for SWAT K-9. Be safe, brother.

dog

Lol… That’s awesome Brother. Thanks for posting. I’ve heard of a program like that with retired MWD’s and I think it’s fantastic. I’ve never fully understood why the bond between human and dog can have such a profound effect on both partners, but it’s undeniable.

Things are well with me and mine, thanks. Everyone is happy and whole. Getting prepped for a 3 day selection for a SWAT (ERT for us Canucks) understudy position. Selection’s in the spring. As far as I can tell it comes down to shooting, cardio, attitude, scenarios and being a team guy. Got some time to get ready, but it’s nice to have a deadline to push for. Just trying to settle on a program to follow.

Looking at Mountain Tactical Institute’s SWAT Selection Plan as a pretty good fit. Alternating sprints/agility, tempo runs and longer runs with bodyweight stuff and mobility work in the meantime.

Stay dangerous. Be well.

Motivational Monday:

talent

Thought for the day:

“That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or laborer’s cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.”

Tactical Tuesday: Something different.

Thought for the day:

The quality of your practice predicts the level of your performance.

Seek to make your life long and its purpose in the service of your people. Show respect to all people and grovel to none –Tecumseh

Preparedness is a form of self-defense” – Harley Elmore

Thought for the day: Well, I guess, this would be under the heading of,“when a person has everything”

belt

The Essentials kit from Wazoo is meant to provide common survival and EDC items that are easy to travel with inside the Cache Belt while leaving room for other gear of your choosing.

What’s in the Everyday Essentials Kit:

Safety pins (2)

Magnetized needle

Fishing hooks (3)

Fishing weights (3)

Fishing line (40 ft)

Whistle

Technora cord (25 ft)

Zip ties (2)

Duct tape (2 ft)

First-aid tinder (3)

Ferrocerium rod

Ferro rod striker

Water bag (32 oz)

Purification tabs (2)

Wow,

Bit of a late response to some of your previous posts. I frequent the combat forum fairly often and this is the first time I’ve check out this thread and the first post I see is about 9/11. Interesting coincidence I am an American expat and I was just talking with my roommate about September 11 and how the events of that day significantly shaped the man I became.

I grew up maybe a 30 minute drive north of the Pentagon. The father of one my friends was at the time the DC battalion fire chief. He was one of the first on site right after the attack. He said there were office workers he came upon scorched to death. Standing coffee cup still in hand. The heat from the blast had left them fixed in place. Crazy to think its been 17 years. I remember turning 21 and going out to the bars in Bethesda. There was probably a solid 5 year period where on any given weekend you would see a dozen or so 18 to 20 something year olds rocking a prosthetic limb clearly from Walter Reed right down the road. One particular night I remember going to the use the restroom and a young guy early 20’s was trying to come out. In a wheel chair no legs. Missing one arm. Only had half the fingers on the other.

That same friend of mine whose father was the battalion chief went to nursing school in DC. She had the opportunity to do a clinical placement at Walter Reed. This might have been 2011 maybe 2012. She shared with me this story of this 18 year old kid who was a patient on her floor. He had been there a couple weeks. Stepped on an IED in Iraq. Went to Germany and then straight to Walter Reed. He had no legs and maybe one arm. The worst part was his testes and penis were also blown off. 18 years old. He had barely been in Iraq. At the time the government or some agency had a policy of giving all the wounded vets coming back a brand new X box. So she was there doing some task with him as he got his brand new x box. He had no legs, no balls, no dick and one hand. What the hell was he going to do with an X box.

It must have been around that time I found myself at a recruiters office. 6 months shy of graduating college. I had hopes of enlisting Air Force and even toyed with the idea of enlisting Army 18x and seeing if I could hack it. But the only recruiter that showed up to work the day I stopped by was the Navy one. I chatted him up he asked me what I wanted to do. I said something physical something hands on. He asked me what I thought about EOD. I told him I was a horrible swimmer. Took my number never followed up. I was super surprised at the lack of enthusiasm. I was a done deal. I was giving myself to them on a platter. A little encouragement an I would have signed on the dotted line.

Well that turned into a bit of an essay. Anyways guess what I really mean to say is great thread! Haha!

Thank you for the great post. Sorry about the follow up from the recruiter. Doesn’t matter what profession, there are good and bad.

I was a volunteer at the Wounded Warrior games last year. Been in combat zones all my life, but, its strange, but, someone buying the farm is expected., but, the wounded are evacuated so fast, you are not around them that much (my experience). I will never, ever, complain about my life after that experience. Their determination, will to live, and attitude on life made me a better man.

Motivational Monday: Is your training improving? Are you reaching your goals? If you were cloned last week, could you kick your clone’s ass today?

shield

_Before a battle, the army would exercise but not nearly as strenuous as in garrison. Plutarch would write that “Their bodily exercises, too, were less rigorous during their campaigns, and [they] were allowed a regimen less rigid. They were the only men in the world for whom war brought a respite in the training for war.”

From National Geographic: The Spartan shield, the hoplon—from which is derived the name of its bearer, the hoplite—the shield was, together with the spear, the most important weapon of the Spartan warrior. Each shield was circular and convex, weighed more than 15 pounds, and measured three feet in diameter. Shields were specially made out of layers of wood that had been rounded off and glued together. The exterior was covered with a fine layer of bronze, whose surface, glinting in the sun and replicated across the formation, would present a daunting spectacle to an enemy. The Spartan hoplites organized themselves into a tight-packed phalanx that then relentlessly pushed forward behind this wall of bronze.

Thought for the day:

There will never be a point in time, in your life, where it is the right time to do a great thing. If you are waiting on that perfect moment, that perfect time, then it is not going to happen. You know what you have to do? You have to create that perfect time, and the perfect opportunity, and perfect situation.

If you have the opportunity of a lifetime, it means absolutely nothing if you don’t take advantage of it in the lifetime of that opportunity.

Thought for the day: From my personal experience, the author’s comments are dead on:

From Seth Lewis:

Recently I got into a debate among tactical professionals about training techniques. I was arguing that certain handgun skills needed to be trained at distance(greater than 20 meters). Their argument back was basically “What distance does the average gunfight happen at?” and I have some issues with that line of logic. Allow me to explain why.

First, what distance is the “average” gunfight at exactly? I’ve heard 7 yards, I’ve heard 3 ft./3 rds./3 sec., I’ve heard a great number of things. And all these averages are well within point shooting range for me. It really doesn’t take much skill to mag dump into a person up close. So why do we spend so much time training at distances where skill, and therefore training time, is not really the deciding factor in the fight? I know average engagement distance was different for Iraq and Afghanistan, so I assume then that

maybe Park County Colorado Sheriff’s office has some different average engagements than Dallas PD. A 50-yard shot was required this year, 2018, in Las Vegas to stop a shooter. In 2014, a police officer in Austin Texas had to take a 100-yard shot, one handed and holding the reins of two horses, to stop an active shooter. Security Forces Airman Andy Brown stopped an active shooter in 1994 with a 70-yard headshot from his M9. One of the only recorded duels in the old west involved a 70 yard shot by Wild Bill Hickok to win it. Before they had to pull back and wait for GIGN, the first French Officers on the Bataclan scene killed a terrorist at some distance beyond up close and personal. They stated that ”We fired immediately in the certainty that we would hit him at this distance because we train a lot”. And that’s in France where they don’t nearly have the same level of per capita police shootings as we do. France is out-training a lot of us… France. Gunfights happen up close, except when they don’t. And when they don’t, people will die that didn’t need to if you suck at shooting at distance.

Second, why are we training for average anyways? Do NBA players train for the average basketball game? No. Cause most games played are probably pick up games in the park, so the average basketball game doesn’t involve a high skill level. NBA players practice for high-level engagements and you should too. You should because we live in the age of active shooters and terrorism. You should because no one actually knows what they will face in a given gunfight. It might just turn into North Hollywood shootout 2, except the dudes can actually kill people this time. Time and time again, we fall into complacency in training because “something like THAT hasn’t ever happened/hasn’t happened in a while”. And time and time again, we relearn the lessons in blood. Why not keep training to survive the worst that has happened? That way the next time something like that goes down we only have to ramp up from being trained to the last worst day. Instead of going from low skill, up close engagement training to a high skill, real steel fight at distance against people who actually know what they’re doing.

No one ever said you get to pick where, when, or with what you will have to fight for your life. So maybe it’s a good idea to prepare for as many where’s when’s, and with what’s as you can. If you wanna be an average gunfighter, train for the average gunfight. If you wanna be more, train for more.

I’ve seen the 3shots/3seconds/3yards average stats. I agree we need to train beyond that in all respects. In my suburb the typical distance in a res tract from cover behind a car on one side of the street to the front door of a house directly across is 25yds. Front yards are about 20 yds across. Heck a Toyota Camry is 5 yds long, tell me a bumper to bumper engagement isnt a probability. Our standard felony stop tactics can easily put you 10-15 yds from the driver’s door. We need to be able to effectively engage those realistic distances.

Where did 25 and 50 yard training go? Real world distances didn’t shrink.