The Tactical Life

Thought for the day:

Tactical Tuesday:

"Many of us are wrapped up in the notion that speed is everything. Speed is a byproduct of working the fundamentals with absolute meaning. With any skill set requiring a tempo, beats per minute, or revolutions per second, we do not get faster by working fast. Any professional performer in any skill set works with meaning and in deep practice mode until the tempo at which he is training is perfected. Then, and only then, will he work / train up to the next level.

Regardless of whether you are playing a cello, drums, doing origami, or perfecting a martial arts move, perfection requires keen intellect, introspection and objective self-critique. Gun fighting is no different"

1 Like

I just thought of combat when I saw this somehow. How it relates is situational awareness, a major tenet of this forum. If a convict can light finger a key that can be used at jails all over the place, what could be happening to me in the grocery store lineup. I constantly feel someone is getting in my personal space in these situations, and am overdue for an awakening.

1 Like

Thank you, good article.

Thought for the day:

This is simply for a training and tactical discussion. No criticism of the actions taken, no criticism for the decisions made. We all react differently to every situation. What I would do, would not be what you would do. In that regard:

I have never, ever trusted Tasers after I shot a guy (early model, they may be better now) and he pulled out the barbs and stuck one in his tongue for effect. Non-lethal force, is that: non-lethal, expect if it doesn’t work in the first thirty seconds, abandon and go to something else.

Never be lax just because you have back up.

Arm punches are not control techniques and most of the time fairly ineffective.

As demonstrated, most street gunfights are within 10 yards, fast, close, and brutal.

Never “dance” with a resisting suspect, either disengage to gain distance or take them down hard to the ground. The old rule of taking out one of the 3 kings of a fight apply here: Sight, breath, and stance. With two officers on scene, a lot of misery could have been avoided with slamming that guy hard into the pavement.

Many other points here, just very glad the officers survived to fight another day.

What say you?

2 Likes

“Get on your back” ???

I thought cops put resisting suspects on their stomach and cuff them behind their back.

They lost physical control of the suspect at least 3 times.

Dependence on CEW’s combined with excessive concern about the optics of use of force, emphasis on de-escalation and modern recruiting practices have resulted in cops that are increasingly reluctant to commit and go hands on. This is dangerous, both for cops and suspects (guess which one concerns me more).

Agree, disengage and create distance or commit and hit the guy with the planet. This half and half shit has to go. Sometimes being a cop means fighting a suspect with your hands. If you’re not good with that do something else. Become a firefighter or a fed.

3 Likes

Agree, especially in the states. Everything must be done to insure the cop always gets killed first, saving the department the embarrassing use of deadly force.

Thought for the day (1): A follow up from yesterday:

When it comes to confrontation, escalation of force must be considered: Avoid at all costs; if it goes to physical, strike without hesitation and purpose to achieve separation; if it goes to lethal, well… I’m being lethal.

-Pat McNamara

There is so much more to training when you’re in a job where life and death hinges on your performance. If you’re in the military, if you’re a first-repsonder, if in any way you’re responsible for the life of another( calling all parents) you need to have a serious look at your training and preparedness. You never want to be left looking back wondering if you could’ve done more. Train to win and train to live!!

In my experience with kids, de-escalation promotes defiance.

I know what you mean, but I have also worked with cops who could start a fight in an empty phone booth and I’m not a fan. If there’s no obvious risk and someone is just, for want if a better word, freaking out, I usually prefer to come in pretty low key and go from there. I have pretty good success with that as a street cop. I think it helps that I’m a larger than average dude and pretty comfortable going the other way if need be. I firmly believe people pick up on that, even if it’s subconsciously. Verbal judo works better if you know actual judo.

4 Likes

Great comment, will have to steal that one from you. I have found the more someone is trained, the more experienced they are, the less they run their mouth. I have worked with officers/ military who I would not want to show up at Custer’s last stand.

Thought for the day: Typical PC police chief, with the statement of the year: Shooting at officers is not being “aggressive” its being lethal.

“She said there has also been a 45 percent increase in aggravated assaults on Phoenix police officers”.

"I know right now, Phoenix Police Department has a problem with people who are being aggressive toward our officers, Williams said.

Thought for the day (2): How many shootings could be avoided if the suspect just followed commands?

This officer did a great job. The perp is standing over a body, is given a command to drop the knife, advances on the officer, she backs up creating distance , still issuing commands. Dipshit keeps comings, get shot, great job and one less asshole on the streets.

BTW: not much time to make a critical decision, right?

2 Likes

Wow, really was a good job. Just when she may have seemed distracted by talking on her radio is when he lunged. She did a great job!

People definitely do. Being large, confident and not backing down when someone is totally freaking out has definitely helped me produce good outcomes when bouncing. Most of the calmness and confidence comes from knowing I’ve got other options, and regular training and hard sparring has really helped solidify that. I’ve dealt with some really aggressive and upset people and you can almost see the wheels turning in their head…

“I can take this guy…”
“Well he is kinda big…”
“He doesn’t seem afraid of me at all…”
“Okay fuck this maybe I’ll just go home…”

1 Like

I would bet that people like that have faced the consequences of defiance and not been conditioned to think they are entitled to de-escalation. That’s why a lot of these young people end up in a bad position when dealing with the cops. They expect that their criminal behavior be validated rather than simply stop and comply once they’ve been called out on it. When I see some of these videos I see someone who is behaving with the cops the same way they behave with teachers. And they think that cops and teachers have to follow the same rules.

1 Like

I’m sure that’s the case with some. I’m dealing with intoxicated people in bars, each with their own set of baggage and decisions that led to them acting the way they do. Who knows why an asshole acts like an asshole?

Some of them can be talked down, some can’t. There’s not always rhyme or reason why other than they’re just rocked out of their minds.

That’s interesting. In a lot of the police shootings that make the news these days I notice a massive disconnect in the demands for “justice” by the suspect’s family and friends, where the bodycam footage clearly shows the suspect point a gun at officers, yet the family wants the officers charged for murder when they shoot the suspect.

If one’s aggressive behavior has been enabled for years, especially the formative years, what else should we expect when they grow up?

Some of you seem to like articles about police making sacrifices, so I thought to post this article of an officer who had his car t-boned by his duty partner while responding to a burglary call. I wonder if the fact he had taken a tumble earlier in his shift impacted the decision making of his driving, just a muse.

He died recently after decades in a hospital bed, and the article makes mention of newer science of people who seem to be unaware.