The Tactical Life

Thought for the day: _Some interesting reading

Good articles. I remember doing a lot of ‘stress’ shooting years ago - sprint, negotiate a few obstacles and then hit the line and engage. Interesting that actual research shows the difference between simply getting the HR up and real anxiety/stress.

I think it was Grossman’s book that referenced a test they did with some SF bubba’s. They weren’t seeing much of a difference between flat footed punching paper and FOF, so they put the guys in these vests that generated a decent electrical shock when hit. Shooting performance dropped considerably when that was added in - showing how much anxiety plays into the whole package. Makes sense that the guys who have been through a few shootouts (SWAT guys in these articles) performed better in FOF scenarios. Would be interesting to compare it to combat vets who have run a few gunfights over the last few years - with all of the adrenal issues that come from PTSD (and just desensitization to those hormones), I wonder if you’d even spark much of a stress response in some of the veteran Tier 1 guys in normal FOF training.

Somewhat related. Shot my yearly carbine qual today. 100m standing, kneeling, prone, then up close for speed shooting, stoppages, pistol transitions, movement, etc. Standard LE stuff. Not a bad course of fire I guess, but it’s really just about ticking the boxes and making sure there are enough holes in the paper.

I’ve never been great at 100. Good enough, but never great. Was always better close and fast. So I’ve been spending my own range time a little marksmanship heavy lately. Shot a nice 6 inch group at 100 but the speed wasn’t there up close like I’d want. Too much aiming. Be careful what you try to get good at I guess. Frustrating. Back to the drawing board.

And this is all with no more stress than not wanting to flub a qual. This gunfighting shit is tough to get good at without getting into gunfights.

1 Like

Motivational Monday:

girl

It is as simple as that. Stop complaining about trivial crap, it’s poisonous. First of all what you’re complaining about is probably a bullshit 1st world problem and two it’s probably your fault. The thing most people don’t grasp is, you can change anything in your life if you truly want to do something about it. You don’t like your body? Do something. You don’t like your job? Do something. You never went after your dreams? Do something. You’re not happy in your relationship? Do something. So next time you hear someone or yourself complaining about something, tell them they have two options. 1. Do something 2. shut the fuck up.

4 Likes

Thought for the day: I was in training last week, came back and more fallen LEO’s. Rest in peace brother.

Capture

Thought for the day:

“Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.”

Thought for the day:

"I often get asked if things are easy… Is it easy to do this? Is it easy to do that? I want to say yes but the truth is, the right word is simple. Not easy.

Many things are simple.

But they sure as hell aren’t easy.

Something for you to think about.

I like to simplify things as much as possible when I have a goal to achieve.

Then have simple habits that can be ticked off each day.

Don’t look for the easy way out.

Look for simple, consistent actions that you can take and you will get you what you want every time"

1 Like

Thought for the day (2): The new US Army fitness test.

mmmmmmmmmmm…comments?

The new U.S. Army Combat Fitness Test will replace the current Army Physical Fitness Test beginning in October of 2020, the service has announced.

The gender- and age-neutral test consists of six events. The Army Physical Fitness Test, introduced in 1980, has three events. The ACFT will keep the two-mile run as its final event, but the other five events are new. Soldiers will be expected to complete the events in 45 to 55 minutes. Here are the six events in order, via the Army news release:

— **Strength deadlift: With a proposed weight range of 120 to 420 pounds, the deadlift event is similar to the one found in the Occupational Physical Assessment Test, or OPAT, which is given to new recruits to assess lower-body strength before they are placed into a best-fit career field. The ACFT will require Soldiers to perform a three-repetition maximum deadlift (only one in OPAT) and the weights will be increased. The event replicates picking up ammunition boxes, a wounded battle buddy, supplies or other heavy equipment.

Standing power throw: Soldiers toss a 10-pound ball backward as far as possible to test muscular explosive power that may be needed to lift themselves or a fellow Soldier up over an obstacle or to move rapidly across uneven terrain.

Hand-release pushups: In this event, Soldiers start in the prone position and do a traditional pushup, but when at the down position they release their hands and arms from contact with the ground and then reset to do another pushup. This allows for additional upper body muscles to be exercised.

Sprint/drag/carry: As they dash 25 meters five times up and down a lane, Soldiers will perform sprints, drag a sled weighing 90 pounds, and then hand-carry two 40-pound kettlebell weights. This can simulate pulling a battle buddy out of harm’s way, moving quickly to take cover, or carrying ammunition to a fighting position or vehicle.

Leg tuck: Similar to a pullup, Soldiers lift their legs up and down to touch their knees/thighs to their elbows as many times as they can. This exercise strengthens the core muscles since it doubles the amount of force required compared to a traditional situp.

2-mile run: Same event as on the current test. In the ACFT, run scores are expected to be a bit slower due to all of the other strenuous activity.

Scoring
The Army says the scoring from the APFT will likely carry over to the ACFT. Soldiers will be awarded up to 100 points for each event, for a maximum of 600. Minimum scores could change depending on a soldier’s military occupational specialty (MOS).

“The more physically challenging your MOS, the more you’ll be required to do at the minimum levels,” said Michael McGurk, director of research and analysis at the Army’s CIMT (Center for Initial Military Training).

Soldiers will be evaluated on 10 physical fitness components, including muscular strength and endurance; power; speed; agility; aerobic endurance; balance; flexibility; coordination; and reaction time. The current test only measures muscular and aerobic endurance.

Sounds like a solution looking for a problem. This sounds like it will take up more time than normal PT which will leave less time for other training.

They’re calling it a test, but they keep describing how ‘this will allow xxxx to be exercised more effectively’ or some nonsense. So which is it, a test or a training routine?

Only benefit I see to the ‘release pushups’ is reinforcing proper form. The time added to each rep is going to lower totals, which will piss off some guys. I like some of the other events added, but again, these will add quite a bit of time to conducting the test (as well as morning PT, since we all know units will train to this test).

I also like the idea of a graduated scale depending on MOS. The SWCC community (SEAL also, I think) used to have an ‘enhanced’ semi-annual PRT they did compared to the regular Navy. It was before my time, but IIRC every one had to do the swim and the run (rather than one or the other) and it added a ruck march for time (don’t remember distance). Problem was, at the time we were still evaluated against fleet guys for promotions and such, and this enhanced PRT was not an official Navy thing. So we got the exact same mark as a fleet guy - passed within standards rather than denoting that we were upholding a higher standard (which should be a given, granted, but in the mil if it ain’t on paper it didn’t happen).

As someone who has been involved in testing, (you, as they say in the south) hit the nail on the head. This will take a lot of time and resources. I am curious on how “someone” will determine the amount of weight the test subject will have to pull on the deadlift. What do you judge that on? body weight? physical appearance? interviewing the subject on their past training?

LOL, so true brother, so true.

Thought for the day:

Simply, normalcy bias is our natural inclination to assume the best about a threatening situation because the breadth of your experience tells you that things will turn out fine. Leading a predominately safe life (as most of us do here in the United States) establishes a mental norm within our minds, leading many to underestimate the severity of a situation or the likelihood of a negative outcome. Normalcy bias doesn’t manifest in a slow rejection of the situation at hand, but as a delay in your processing of what’s going on around you. In the moment, with a threat approaching, many hush away their gut instincts, dismissing their concerns as paranoia: after all, what are the chances that the threatening looking character ten feet back and closing is actually a bad guy? What is the likelihood that the bag that kid left in the street is actually a bomb? That car can’t really be trying to run over pedestrians… can it?

That momentary unwillingness to accept the likelihood that your life is in danger is often the last thing that goes through a victim’s mind just before the worst happens — “**I never thought this would happen to me.”**

Combatting normalcy bias is one of the few tactical skill sets you can practice by yourself, inside your head, with no gear or equipment. The secret isn’t to live in a constant state of paranoia, but rather to legitimate practice maintaining an objective mindset when assessing the threats around you. If you have a bad feeling about a situation, don’t dismiss it as nonsense, engage with it. If you notice something out of the ordinary, chastise yourself for not keeping your distance, rather than for allowing your concerns to get the best of you.

3 Likes

Who will be coaching the deadlift? I’ve seen fat soldiers. I’ve seen out of shape soldiers. They weren’t like that because of issues with the PT requirements. They were like that because they ate too much junk and didn’t work out at all. The same way they get away with it then, they’ll get away with it now.

IMO, the run tells you all you need to know. It’s what tells you who takes fitness seriously and who doesn’t.

I agree, the more I think about it, this test will be a bitch to use.

Thought for the day (1) Following up on yesterday’s comment

It’s not a coincidence that many veterans learn to shy away from crowds and choose seats that allow them to keep an eye on the crowd: it’s not because they expect something bad to happen, it’s because they’ve seen bad things happen, and accept that they can. For many who have lived their entire lives within the relative safety and comfort of the American way of life, it can be harder to embrace this mindset. After all, if you’ve never seen a gunman open fire on a crowd, it can be difficult to assume that’s what’s about to happen right before your eyes, even as the killing begins. That split second of hesitation keeps you, and those with you, in the line of fire, prevents you from responding with appropriate force when possible, and, chances are, may cost you your life.

Actively combating normalcy bias in your everyday life can mitigate the effects of our inclination to assume things are fine — demand a level of attentiveness in yourself until it becomes second nature. Trust your gut and act before something bad happens. It may be inconvenient to get the hell out of the mall when you spot someone looking nervous and fumbling with what could be a weapon inside their backpack… but inconvenienced beats dead any day. When armed, being aware of a possible threat and mentally preparing to draw your weapon if necessary can mean drawing and using the weapon quicker than you would if taken by surprise.

Don’t approach possible threats in a constant state of paranoia, but rather approach daily life like you might when merging on a congested highway: stay alert and be prepared to react.

1 Like

Thought for the day (2):

I think what you’re starting to see is some of these suspects committing their crimes with much more impunity than they have,". No shit, Sherlock.

Capture

I’m sorry to hear about another of our nation’s best being senselessly murdered. On the other hand, the second half of that headline is the stupidest shit I’ve read in a while, and I hang around on the T-nation politics forum.

Guns aren’t the “cause”, they are the tools used by the despicable pieces of shit who carried out these attacks. But what else should one expect from ABC news.

Yeah, that headline is misleading in a way. Although it’s important to note how many officers, out of all of those who die on duty, are killed by suspects vs in accidents, the article is definitely moving from pointing out the job has become more dangerous to being about gun control.

It’s a bizarre twisting of the language to blame inanimate objects for evil acts. I don’t even know if the writer is being deliberately misleading or if their thinking is just that sloppy. It’s certainly easier to blame inanimate objects than actually dig into the social and political causes of increasing attacks on officers.