The Tactical Life

Thank you for the kind words.

Whenever I was going up for a test or eval, I would dedicate myself to only the requirements for that test. I didnt do anything that was not part of that test, Why? because that test became my whole life, fail the test and you wash out. Why would you worry about your bench press totals and you cant run a 7 minute mile? If I had the time, like a year, I would train for the test and use CT’s Zombie A workout plan, since, based on my body was one of the best SF plans I have ever done.

I actually didnt run for distance that much, 7 to 10 miles being max during my off duty training. I was given good advise by another SF instructor, who told me to work on times by doing balls to the wall 200 and 400 meter sprints. His thinking was, You would arrive at selection with less injuries and better conditioned. For me, he was right. To be honest, running is way down on my list, in fact, it is so boring for me, I might as well watch golf, but, i still do sprints every week and my injuries have been minor.

I believe you are scheduled to go into the Singapore military. When you have time, try this current test and see where you stand:

Special Operations Upper Body Round Robin (UBRR) Fitness Test. It measures functional fitness for the Special Operators much better than the traditional PT test. ( From the manual, not me)

Pushups: (1min) 40 minimum +2 points for each additional rep.

Sit-ups: (1min) 40 Minimum +3 points for each additional rep.

Pull-ups: (not timed) 6 minimum +3 points for each additional rep.

Dips: (not timed) 6 minimum +2 points for each additional rep.

Bench Press: (80% body weight) 6 minimum +3 points for each additional rep.

20ft. Rope Climb: with weighted vest or body armor, _Pass/Fail** (IMHO, Hidden Killer here)

_Kick-ups: (1minute) 6 minimum, +2 points for each additional rep.

25 Meter Shuttle Run: x 4, 24 seconds maximum. +2 points for each 1/10 sec. under

5 Mile Run: 40 minutes maximum +2 points for every full 15 seconds under max.

or 5 Mile Ruck March: w/45 lbs +2 points for every full 15 seconds under max.

To pass the UBRR, participants must achieve a PASS in all events with at least the minimum score, and Receive at least 1100 total points from all the events combined.

1 Like

I don’t feel I am qualified to give dietary advise.

I’ll try it soon. I’m assuming you can do everything on separate days?

No, you have to complete all events during a specified time frame.

Thought for the day:

What goes on around you… compares little with what goes on inside you — Ralph Waldo Emerson

Opinions on this author’s philosophy?

Read the article and holy shit, this numbers sure aren’t easy by any stretch. If you don’t mind me asking, are you currently able to hit all of this?

Pull-up: 60% BW
Snatch: 120% BW
Overhead Press: 125% BW
Bench Press: 150% BW
Lunge: 150% BW
Clean: 150% BW
Squat: 200% BW
Deadlift: 250% BW

The numbers do seem a bit excessive if you ask me. Obviously it’d be great if we had someone who could do all of this and perform well but it just ain’t realistic in the real world. Ideal, yes. Realistic, no. Quite a bunch of this lifts can get rather technical…

No, I certainly cannot hit all those numbers. This scale was the author’s interpretation on when a individual crosses over to specialization.

" When it comes to maximal strength, that line in the sand where generalization meets the need for specialization, these are the 1RM numbers"

I was interested in feedback on this quote:

“Now let’s discuss reality and 1RMs. Show me a guy who can knock out 20 reps with a set of 32kg KBs and I’ll show you a guy who can absolutely murder a 328lb barbell back squat and run up a mountain in full kit with no problem. Show me a guy with a 328lb back squat and I’ll put my entire paycheck on the fact he can’t do 20 reps with a set of 32kg KBs”

Do you buy or sell this statement?

When he says “set” of 32kg kettlebells. Does he mean a 70lb bell in each hand? 20 good reps with that would be rather elite.

1 Like

I’m assuming this is what he means…

I… Don’t think it makes any sense whatsoever. I’ve never done double kettlebell front squats. I have however done normal front squats and goblet squats with single dumbbell/kettlebells. I’m pretty sure as of right now, whilst having a max squat of probably 130kgs, I should be able to do 20 reps with a pair of 32kg kettlebells. It’s biomechnically similar to to front squats, which I know for a fact that I can do 20 reps of at 70kgs.

I know for a fact that I can’t run up a mountain with full kit.

If I were to read the quote out of context, it would seem to me that he’s trying to sell kettlebells as some sort of miracle tool, dissing barbells and what not.

You know who would do a better job at murdering a 328lbs barbell back squat and running up a mountain in full kit? Someone who actually trained for both.

On a side note, I think I’ll try to do double dumbbell front squats with 30kgs(heaviest I have available for me) for a set of 20 tomorrow.

I guess my reading comprehension failed me. I thought they were talking about a KB swing with 70lb in each hand.

If there are 12 kinds of strength, and maximal strength improves them all, and it takes less than 20% of your yearly effort to be an Elite(olympic weightlifter?) strength dude…

WHY WOULD YOU NEGLECT YOUR MAXIMAL STRENGTH!?!?

If you believe the books, you can improve maximal strength with 3 exertions over 90%, once (well, once for lower body plus once for Upper body)per week. Then the rest can/should be non-maximal work.

Dude is probably right tho. If you front squat two 70s x20, you are a fucking STUD.

1 Like

I buy, it’s not simply a matter of having the strength to do it, but also the mental capacity to deal.

One (20 reps @ 2x32kg) is more likely to lead to the outcomes of: Full kit runs and a high strength ceiling, while the second (a 1RM of 328lbs) does not correlate strongly to good endurance, at least in my mind.

Interested to see how this goes.

1 Like

220 x2, for 15 sets with short (under a minue) rests would be Much better for endurance than 328 x1.

And probably better for an attempt at the kbs. Or a run up the mountain.

I have to chime in, sorry I have to :wink:

If a guy wants to run up a mountain with a full kit, then he trains by running with a full kit until he can do it, not with kettle bells.

Most operators I’ve met did not look like elite Lifters, but they sure as hell looked like you didn’t want to piss them off.

I think the takeaway (for me) from this article is that soldiers train for what they do and use exercises that assist in their MO.

1 Like

Thought for the day:

“hard work sucks and not everyone is cut out for it!”

1 Like

Glad you did. I found the article interesting from a training perspective, but, I remain skeptical about his last comment. Based on my past experience, I am inclined to agree with you. You dont run up a mountain in full battle rattle, unless, you train running up a mountain in full battle rattle.

1 Like

Keeping to the current theme, I am going to post a link to a article about “Are you fit to fight?” The author has wrote a long article detailing his training methods, but, well worth reading for some of the wisdom nuggets along the way. Because I am responsibile for a lot of the training in this unit, I am always on the prowl for knowledge. When I post articles and if you have the time to read them, give me your feedback
good or bad.

Plus, I often post things I dont agree with, simply, to check and see if I am becoming a close minded moron.

I’d posted this last night then today it said it’d been withdrawn & would be deleted, so here’s a copy/paste of the message. Sorry iff it ends up double poster.

Article:
" if those same individuals are involved in a fight for their life, and the situation begins by someone punching them in the face or grabbing them, they might realize that accessing a firearm is very tough, or nearly impossible."

Absolutely correct. This reminds me of a strong attacker looking for a weak target as predators and enemies always do.
Lethal options such as a handgun aren’t always going to be immediately accessible and u have to fight to get to thet option.

–Article:
“This article is meant to get you motivated about the importance of fitness in a fight. I also wrote it to reject the theory that “I’ll just shoot them” when a high stress incident goes down that comes from some. Fitness is the key, so use the material I have given you in this post to develop your own system of getting fighting fit. Your life may depend on it!”

/-- Repeat first reply and
The fitness recommendation about strength ratio makes great sense. 'Fighting fit," like running up that mountain means you train for the task by doing the task. How the hell else would you have a clue?

this is an amazing read.

@idaho seriously thank you.

I cant contribute much to this thread.
Im a civilian
a 45 year old banged up former super jock.

I am now an urban commuter
work is split between major sporting events
and concerts in a large arena

while I never served our country in a military role
I have gotten on a plan for work in some serious shit holes
many of them in the US
you have to watch yourself

Im not on an oil rig - but Im surrounded by
thousands of lbs - high voltage gear.
heavy gear from chain hoists to fork lifts-
they can all kill you.

now I have to get all my personnel
thru the day - to get work done
and not get hurt its taxing.

you have to train for this- even in civilian life
to think in multi dimensions
think big picture
minimize the wear and tear of yourself and your people.

practice what you are good at
practice more what you suck at.

what else - pretty much except for me- all my cousins are miliatry
my great uncles -and Aunts WWII Korea - Vietnam- Falkland Islands
Desert storm- Army Navy Marines- Rangers SF and the college of special warfare
they are an active clan

Im just some bro that likes his gym and likes to work hard