The Tactical Life

Flashback Friday:

Current Friday:

dog

1 Like

Future Friday:

For General Information: _First Responder Event / citizens welcome to compete.

battle

1 Like

Good read.

Really good analysis, thanks for posting. I agree with everything in the article. The officer was brave, but, extremely tactically deficient. Perhaps he was in fear of being persecuted by his department or the media, if he ( Heaven Forbid) had to fire his weapon in an clearly lethal force situation.

I know one thing, if he takes that attitude in the future, he is going to be killed. All I have heard from the US media, is how the officer did not fire his gun, the underlying theme being that US cops are too fast to use deadly force. It has played out over and over.

I have been asked at least 50 times for people who should know better, what I would have done. Let’s see, killed 9 people, wounded others, drove down a city street for over a mile, demonstrated a dedicated motivation to kill, would have killed more if the van was not damaged, point an object at the police, threaten to kill police and himself. Damn, what a hard decision to grapple with.

Saturday Morning Coffee Break:

butt

thigs

Coffee Break:

girlgun

Yep. Good outcome. Bad tactics. Our Brother was very lucky to go home that day. He is absolutely a hero and should be praised, but holding this interaction up as a model for superior police training is dangerous as hell. Whether or not he shot is somewhat secondary IMO. He put himself in a position of extreme disadvantage and came out on top in spite of his approach, not because of it.

Agreed. I’m afraid this incident will be cited in future police shootings. It has already been hailed bybthe smug liberals on my social media. What Joe Public fails to consider is that the officer’s actions not only put himself in danger, but everyone else as well. It would have been awful if the member was incapacitated by the subject before continuing his killing spree.

Has there been any more information released concerning why he believed the subject was not armed?

Thought for the day:

A message for Lawrence Strauss; Fuck you, and if your mother is still alive, fuck her too for giving birth to such a piece of shit.

Calif. DA candidate: Cop killers shouldn’t get death penalty

_Lawrence Strauss said he wouldn’t seek the death penalty against defendants who’ve killed a police officer because, it’s part of the risk they take" ( Really dipshit? so if you are elected DA, make sure you give up your security detail, because if you are assassinated, you are just part of the job)

_He added, however, that people who kill single officers shouldn’t be death-penalty eligible ( Ok, so under this logic, you have to kill at least two or three? )

_Officer Ben Therriault, president of the Richmond Police Officer’s Association called Strauss “tone-deaf” when it came to public safety, adding that the men and women in our profession don’t sign up to be hurt or killed or receive less justice than our fellow citizens we protect.”

But, on the other its California, what the hell is in the drinking water out there? Along with the madness of NJ, these two states are swirling down a sewer of shit.

1 Like

Thought for the day (2): The Air Force Alpha Warrior Battle Rig

Yesterday, I had to meet with an Air Force Colonel assigned to an intelligence unit. I really haven’t had much contact with Force personnel since leaving Kandahar Air Base. After the meeting, we started talking about training and he asked me if I knew about the Air Force’s Alpha Warrior Training rigs and competitions. I had to plead ignorance and he told me , he was able to compete last year in Florida.

Doing a little Google, I was surprised the Air Force had started their own American Ninja games. He said some events were open to the public, so, check one out. I would suck on that rig, but, I sure would like to give it a try. Talk about something different.

https://www.alphawarrior.com/

Thought for the day:

monday

1 Like

Motivational Monday: Damn, all I can say is very well done. What an accomplishment.

fire

Sandpoint firefighter breaks world record while raising cancer awareness

SANDPOINT, Idaho -

A Sandpoint firefighter is resting his feet Sunday after breaking a world record for the longest run in fire gear ever. Gwen Le TuTour ran 100 miles in full fire gear, smashing the previous record set when a firefighter ran a full marathon (26.2 miles) in fire gear.

Le TuTour finished the run in 28 hours and 49 minutes while carrying 30 lbs of gear

2 Likes

Thought for the day (2): How would you have taken him down?

I am not posting this to be critical of this brave man’s actions. I want you to analyse the event and then ask yourself, if you had done what he did, how would you have taken down the perp? You will notice the perp ( at least from my angle) had cocked the revolver into a single action mode. Depending on make and model, that usually means only about 3 to 5 pounds of trigger pressure. The guy was that close to getting shot.

Good move on waiting for him to turn before attacking, good move (whether intention or not) knocking the gun out onto the floor. After that it was Dancing With the Stars. If the guy had a knife, the good guy would have been cut numerous times. No criticism at all, just glad he was ok.

Ok, you that train in BJJ and Judo, I saw several classic moves that could have been applied.

What would you do?

With little to no experience here (did do BJJ for like 3 months though), I would say I would’ve done more or less the same thing. Probably would’ve held him in some sort of rear naked choke after knocking the gun out of him if possible. Can’t attack if his back is against you.

Can’t really tell if he had a knife on him, did see him swinging something shiny looking.

Would’ve tried to take the fight to the ground right after that, away from the weapon. Basically, anything to put him in a bad spot. He might have another gun all him, letting him stay standing seems too risky.

Rewatched the video several times and it was obvious that both of the women were simply not ready, had he not been there, things would’ve turned out a lot differently. They were sheep.

@idaho, what would you suggest?

In my head, just like this.

1 Like

The older fellow took off his glasses before the bad guy turns. He knew he was going to throw down before the opportunity presented itself.

After the guy was disarmed I would’ve used a “bum rush two handed push” to get him as far away as possible. Then secure the weapon and just leave to call the cops from a safe distance. Civilians have no obligation to take the dipshit into custody, they even get in trouble for it on occasion.

The bum rush push is extremely effective in my experience. It’s a gross motor skill with no finesse. It’s even handier if you push someone into something.

My first thought would be to use the ancient technique we call “shoot the motherfucker”. I train BJJ, but I’d feel a lot better meeting lethal force with my S&W Shield and 8 rounds of 124 gr +p Speer Gold Dot JHPs.

That said, I think homeboy in the cowboy hat played it well by using one arm to control his torso and another to control the weapon hand. Disarm achieved very well done.

The robber was wearing a backpack, which might make it difficult to sink a rear naked choke to put him down, even after a disarm. Now I’m curious to see how a full backpack changes back control mechanics…

If he didn’t have a gun to worry about I’m looking at that backpack as a convenient handle to rag-doll him backwards and over my leg with, or a simple body lock and trip, looking to get him on the ground quickly and violently, then control the right hand asap in case of knife. Always watch the right hand…

Even when he’s on the ground that backpack changes his shape and might make grappling problematic, since I’ve never train with someone wearing a backpack. Not that it couldn’t be overcome or even used against him somehow, just that it will change his shape, meaning your shit might not work the way you think unless you’ve trained for it.

It’s a good thing I just shot him.

2 Likes

Good responses from all. Thank you.

Yes, I agree. From a American LEO perspective, once he pointed a gun at me, all bets were off. In fact, after he turned and pointed the revolver at the female coming around the aisle, you still had probable cause to use lethal force, since you are sworn to protect the public. Even in this social age of vilifying the police, I think it would have still be a justified shoot.

If not using lethal force, from what I observed, the perp was on the small and slim side and the cowboy was much bigger. Using the height and weight advantage, a possible Anaconda choke or even with my elementary Judo skills, I think I could have managed a hip throw. Slamming someone onto a hard surface, usually takes the fight out of most people. Or, I would probably revert to training and sweep his legs,my first instinct.

As a side note: I am going to assume that was not a high quality revolver. It still looks like it was in single action mode, I am surprised it didn’t fire when it was slammed on the floor. I have seen this happen on several occasions with cheap weapons.