The Tactical Life

Wow. Thanks for all the discussion, guys. I wasn’t expecting to elicit this kind of response, but appreciate everyone taking the time to go over it and help put my mind at ease. I’ll try answering everyone’s questions.

They may have both been crazy; they certainly were both loud-mouths. The security guard was a retired police officer from the same department as the responding police officers. I think that had a lot to do with how this situation was handled. The guard went outside the store to talk to the cops alone before they came in to talk to me. I was already thinking they had made some agreement to not press the issue on one of their “big customers.”

I am in Texas, and I did not know battery was a class C misdemeanor, either – if it is. The responding officer said it was just a $300 ticket and if he fought the ticket, I would have to show up for court. Which I was not prepared to take off work to try to prove he confronted/pushed me, especially when there is a store tape of the incident.

In the past I had taken Krav Maga, but stopped after I moved and there were no nearby schools. But I did not feel confident in my ability to handle this situation. Having someone in a controlled gym choke you and then you rake their eyes/knee them in the groin just seemed different than some big guy in your face pushing you. If he had come out and straight choked me, maybe I would have done something/flailed/kicked/drew my gun/whatever… But it still seemed like I would have to be the aggressor and attack him, even after he pushed me. And I wasn’t prepared to do that.

Good advice, and this situation has made me want to look more into person (non-firearm) self defense.

Never really thought about pepper spray, but my wife carries pepper spray and a taser. I guess I always just thought it was more ‘macho’ to carry a gun. Doesn’t really help when I am thinking about the consequences of killing someone during an altercation instead of the altercation itself, I guess.

That is another reason why I asked that they be called. I kept looking at the door wondering if he was going to come back in with a gun himself. I didn’t know who was waiting outside or who was going to follow me home.

I guess I cannot ask for a better possible outcome than being uninjured and alive.

1 Like

Bingo. I’m sure it didn’t help that I just got off work and was wearing a suit. I’m sure I looked like a perfect target.

That he was able to get so close is what worried me. Because all it would have taken was him pulling a knife and I couldn’t have done anything. But short of literally running away from him as he approached, or pulling my gun, I don’t know what I could have done to prevent him from getting close.

I’m in Texas, and we have a stand your ground law, too. But still, it seemed a bit much to draw a gun on someone who is yelling and approaching you quickly. Obviously, I don’t know what his intentions are at that point. He could mean to kill me. But I find it hard to believe I would be fairly judged if I drew a gun and/or shot someone who was just irately approaching me, without some other overt indicator (a weapon, yelling “I’m going to kill you!”, etc.)

Yes. I have had my CHL for 10 years, and this is only the second situation I’ve been in where it might have been necessary. The first situation, I did draw my gun which de-escalated the situation. But I had no other choice. I was in a drive-thru with giant boulders on the right (so cars could not exit the drive-thru after they ordered), some guy comes up and tries to open my door and starts banging on my driver window, trying to smash it in. My 6 week old daughter was in the back seat. My first instinct was to drive off, but I couldn’t. So I drew my gun and yelled at him to get the fuck back. He put his hands up and walked away.

I’ve taken a few CHL classes in my life and some refreshers. Those are really just jokes, though, designed to mill out CHLs. (That’s how I got mine, of course).

That’s why I didn’t want to escalate the situation. I work as a professional in the banking industry. Even if I was acquitted of any charges; I don’t think “local bank employee kills guy in a department store for approaching him” is a good look. Moreover, they could simply call my work and “say” I said something about his wife and started this conflict. It’s not, and doesn’t have to be true, it doesn’t matter. That’s the world we live in now.

Thanks for your recommendations. I will check both of them out.

Another suggestion; I am a firm believer in visualization. I will subconsciously run scenarios through my brain. For example, before entering any commercial business, I always run through the possibilities: armed robbery? hostage situation? active shooter? suicide bomber with vest? guy running a muck with a knife? ( read article). This only takes a couple of seconds while I scan the place outside for anything out of the ordinary. This helps negate the “frozen” aspect of a violent encounter.

You said you work in the banking industry. If that means a brick and mortar building have you ran all the situations through your mind on what you would do in case there was an armed robbery? hostage situation? do you have an escape plan? is the building even made where you can get out besides the front door? who is responsible for the vault codes? security alarms? is anyone armed and how trained are they? do they have the mental capacity to kill someone? etc.

Read the article and put yourself there with your daughter, what are your options?

I am also posting a link to Pat’s book “Sentinel”. I get no financial gains from the book. It contains a lot of practical information for the civilian and what steps to take to protect your family.

https://www.amazon.com/Sentinel-Become-Charge-Protection-Detail-ebook/dp/B00AGTWNDC

Thought for the day (1): Another senseless murder.

eaglevfd_mini__72744

Thought for the day (2) : More thoughts on mindset and the “warrior” mentality.

Thou, I am probably as guilty as anyone, I think the word “warrior” is thrown around so much that it has lost its meaning. From pampered professional athletes to weekend tact cool guys on the range, this is the word to use to justify whatever you are doing and whatever new tactical gadget you just overpaid to own.

I am going to post an article by MVT where the author uses the word numerous times, but, lists his opinions on what constitutes a “warrior mindset”. Different outlooks and an open mind creates intelligence thinking. If you get anything from it, then it’s not a waste.

MVT: The Warrior Mindset and Firearms Culture,

Warrior Mindset is more than aggressiveness and determination, it is about over coming challenge and adversity. It’s about possessing, understanding, and being able to utilize a set of psychological and physical skills that allow someone to be effective, adaptive, and persistent. It also allows someone to use optimal decision-making, psychological techniques, physical and tactical skills learned in training and by experience

The goal of a Warrior Mindset is to integrate the psychological with physical and tactical training to add a dimension that is often overlooked, but necessary to achieve maximal performance of a skill. If you only talk about mental toughness, but don’t actively train it, you haven’t developed into a complete warrior….regardless of what physical skills you have developed. You’ll find, with proper training, that you can possess the power to overcome any obstacle and change your outcomes if you train yourself mentally. This is the point in which you will truly bring out the Warrior Mindset within yourself.”

If you consider yourself a self-reliant and capable individual, then you need to action the warrior mindset. By your thoughts, actions, training and capabilities, you are working to become an embodiment of the warrior mindset. This is not something that you need to be concerned about only if you are in a martial profession, because in the great American tradition of individual self-reliance, we should all be capable self-reliant individuals. Thus, you are a protector of yourself, your family and your children. However, what is mostly missed is the fact that the utility of developing the warrior mindset and associated tactical skills, is not simply tactical capability. No, development of an effective warrior mindset is a positive character building process and will filter across and benefit all areas of your professional and personal life.

If we dedicate ourselves to the pursuit of tactical training in order to develop a warrior mindset, then we are directly concerned with developing:

_•Physical Fitness and Strength. _
_•Hand to Hand Self-Defense Skills. _
•Skill at Arms.
_ _
_Tactical Skills & Knowledge. _
•Physical & Moral Courage.

What is often missed, but is essential to a true warrior mindset, is talked about in the quotes at the top of the page:
_•Problem Solving & Decision Making Ability. _
_•Performance Under Stress. _
_•Psychological Resilience. _
_•‘Will to Win.’ _
_•Teamwork. _
_•Leadership Qualities. _
_•Situational Awareness. _
•Communication Skills.

These are the character building qualities that are essential to a warrior mindset and which will bleed across into your personal and professional life.

Wednesday’s Weapon: The death of a classic

Browning%20Hi-Power

Browning has announced that John Browning’s final handgun design, a pistol that at one time armed most of the militaries in the Free World, has been discontinued.

In a notice posted on their website, the company advised that “although it is possible to still find a few #HiPower pistols at dealers across the U.S., the Hi-Power is technically out of production. Current dealer inventories will be the last available from Browning for the foreseeable future.”
The gun was a classic of the 20th Century.

Famous American firearms inventor John Browning began work on the double-stack, single-action 9mm for Fabrique Nationale of Herstal, Belgium as an evolution of his venerable turn of the century handguns and, by 1923, filed a patent on his work. Though Browning died before the Hi-Power was fully realized, Dieudonne Saive completed the design and by 1935 the revolutionary 13+1 shot combat handgun was ready for production.

Though #FN entered into several small military contracts for the Hi-Power before 1940, World War II saw the Germans occupy their factory and divert production to Berlin. The gun went on to be manufactured in Canada by Inglis with Saive supervising and in a twist of fate was used by both the Allies and the Germans in the conflict.

After the war was over and commercial production restarted, the Hi-Power was one of the most popular military handguns in the world.

After the war was over and commercial production restarted, the Hi-Power was one of the most popular military handguns in the West, serving at one time or another with 68 countries, and carved out a stake of the civilian market as well. Browning-marked guns were made by FN starting in 1954 and imported to the U.S. with latter models assembled in Portugal from components made in Belgium.

Being an 80-year-old design, a number of Hi-Power clones are out there such as Argentine-made FM‘s, Hungarian PJKs, Israeli Kareen J.Os, Charles Daly HPs, and the Bulgarian Arcus 94.

rose-266785_960_720

Thought for the day (1): Sincere condolences to the families of the victims in the Florida school shooting. Young lives cut down by another cowardly murderer. A piece of shit no better than fucking ISIS. Every time I see this I want to be there, to be the one to blow his fucking brains out. Killing children, the lowest form of scum.

Thought for the day (2): From Mike Pannone:

The more competent you are the less crucial the caliber and firearm type become. I’m less concerned with the gun and caliber than with the fact that I have one on me, I know how to use it and I am aware of my surroundings. Within reason, I prefer .380 and up…but any reliable pistol is better than a sharp stick. if you practice that is. “Force has no place where there is need of skill.” Herodotus

Thought for the day (3): For general information:

tatcical%20games

For women Its time to compete.

Lady%20shooter

Thought for the day (4): One last thing

Because of heavy fog, rain and sleet all flights were cancelled today and everything we had planned tanked. Gym time.

Ok, I am not proud of this but we got into a pissing contest with personnel from another agency about their " Fitness Qualifications". You know, if you search your heart, how stupid Alpha males get sometimes.

Anyway, I need to some feedback. I assume, since you are on this forum that you actually workout. I completed this “fitness test” and thought it was chicken shit, which I said, because, these guys were being dicks. Now, be honest, does anyone on here this this is hard? Speak up, if I am wrong, I will apologize for calling them pu**ies

–Walk three miles at a good clip without taking a break

-Bench press your own body weight one time

-Do 3 pull ups

-Do 25 push ups without taking a break

-Squat your body weight at least once

-Do 20-40 air squats without a break

-Do 20 body weight lunges without a break

-Do 20 one-foot box jumps

There are guys that couldn’t do this? What did they fail at? Bench press BW is likely the only thing I’m not 100% confident about as it’s been quite some time since training it and have never given it much priority.

I put together a tougher “Fitness Test” for the oil field hands that get sent to me, honestly… an “in shape” adult male should be able to handle this test without much of an issue, in my humble opinion.

I’m 14 and I think I could do that… maybe not bench bw, but everything else
Edit- I can bench bw. tried today
Edit 2- don’t think I ever thanked you for life advice that you gave back in november. So - thanks

1 Like

I’m an office worker my forties and just did this as a warm up, including the walking part, which speaks volumes about how high the bar is set.

Is that considered PT at Fort Jackson?

I know you can’t say, but damn, what other agency? The IRS?

How could you possibly present this with a straight face, “ok you’ve survived this far, but up next are AAAAIIIRR SQUAAAATS!!! with NOOOO BREEAAAKS!!!”

3 Likes

Chicken shit is a good summary I’d say.

At this moment I can’t bench my weight. Otherwise not much of a test. Guess it depends on the demands of the job. If you’re strictly admin that’s probably fine.