The Tactical Life

I hear you Brother. Your load is so much heavier than mine and and the separation between you and ‘normal’ people is much deeper. Still, I have some small appreciation of what you’re talking about.

At risk of using the same tired old wolf/sheep/sheepdog metaphor, the sheepdog and the sheep really aren’t the same species. They never were. The sheep fears and distrusts the sheepdog until the wolf is at the door. However the sheepdog has no special love for the sheep, even though he is ready to lay down his life for them and spends his waking moments striving to be ready to answer that call. He doesn’t do this out of affection. He can’t really relate to the sheep. They don’t hang out. It is simply who and what he is.

Some of us must hunt the wolf. We must push back against the chaos and the darkness and visit wrath upon the wicked.Some of us need to stand watch in the night and go into the dark, dirty, nasty places and do dark, dirty, nasty things. We need to go through that door with our Brothers. We need to fight for something, even if it’s only the lesser of two evils that we are defending. What would we do if not this?

1 Like

Rest well. We’ve got it from here.

Watched this more than once. Lots of good learning here.

Catching up in here and saw this on mobility from a few months ago.
I am a big advocate for mobility work
have to do quite a bit - to stay agile.

an old thread I made - some of the links are dead

every morning- this is pretty quick
I roll my feet with an LX ball
roll my thoracic and hips with a PVC pipe foam is bullshit.
and spend maybe 5-10 minutes on some very basic yoga flow type stuff
to work on anything that is really tight.
usuall with the cripple leg - I need to do some stretches
ham and hip work on the left side

when I train - I roll out and mobilize at home
head over to the gym and do a ton of lunges, banded walks,
dislocates and then some jumps hops crawls skips
anything that is really tweaked or stiff I can work on more.

I use bands allot - to stretch and do a SHIT TON of dislocates
and will do some barbell complexes - for activation

here are some great links
basic to advanced

Joe defranco agile 11 I try to do these when every I can

corny but this works miracles on shoulders

BJJ crawls walks etc more for a pre training

these two - are a Physcial therapist and chirpractor
with much more focused approach to specific things that are tight.

mobility wod supple leopard

this guy is amazing - mostly paid content but you can go thru the older vids

smashwerx RX two minutes is his rule more focused and advanced care here

fukked elbows and bad tendonitis
if you roll enough or do enough chins/pullups or work a physical job
with allot of repetitive shit or type its a life saver.
can not praise this device enough.
my forearms are bigger then my upper arms and always tight
armaid

this is getting to be a book - sorry

I do a few weirdo movements that help me

OH squat- just a few light sets either with a bar or loaded
can tell in two seconds where Im tight and what I need to do
to get more prepared.

Hanging leg raise-
decompresses the spine - helps unlock my shoulders and hips
my hips pop for the first few reps

and seated GM/pancake
these help my low back and glutes…

that all being said if I could just do ‘one’ movement or stretch
shit.
Id say the HLR hanging leg raise feet to bar.

Nice post man!

thanks man…
that link to the old post was stuff I put together for the
over 35 crowd.
I guess I should say that the Hanging leg raise video
is an ancient video of me

Perhaps you are correct, I appreciate the response. In the beginning it was simple, you attacked my country, killed my only family, so, I am going to kill you. Now, the amount of corruption and politics has destroyed that naive narrative. There is a quote from Pat McNamara that I try to live by: " Weakness of attitude is weakness of character". Guess I need to go find a mirror and slap the shit out of myself,because, my attitude has been shit lately.

I thought it would be, just points out how many areas you need to receive training, plus, you need to have the gear to respond to anything from long range to inner city.

I don’t know, I am not fit for anything else, one of the downsides to our line of work is that we are “specialty idiots” . My background outside of this AOR would not qualify me to work at Starbucks. LoL

I agree. I will never, ever, spend any money in any Outback restaurant again. You know, once a street cop, always a street cop. With all the deaths over the past two years, the general feeling throughout the country ( my assumption of course) is LEO’s lives mean nothing anymore. That killing an officer is expected now, not some anomaly, that it really isn’t like killing a civilian, that its OK if a cop gets killed. The sad truth is that I am less likely to be killed in a war zone that I am pushing a patrol car.

Bagofbro,
Thank you for all the information. Mobility is very important to be because, if you cannot move, you will die, especially now , since I have been dealing with an Achilles tendon injury for about a month. Nothing worse that dealing with an injury that makes you feel old and slow. I know you have dealt with far worse, but, this is driving me nuts and making me evil. Thanks again, will be doing some of these today.

However, I may have to pass on those Pancaked goodmornings, I may have to admit to defeat on that one:)))

Thought for the day: Proximity Shots:

To follow up on the knife attack, a view on CQB from bad breath range:

“Proximity Shots” (as distinct from “Contact Shots”†) are performed when you are too close to the Threat to extend your weapon to his chest or head without his being able to grab or deflect your handgun. They may be employed when the risk of firing at even a very short distance and possibly hitting an innocent is too great. It will also likely be employed when the Threat is attached to you (grabbing you or you grabbing him during the fight).

It is performed by punching your handgun toward any part of the Threat’s body that is not easily defended. Punching the weapon at the Threat’s chest or face can very well result in an instinctive slap or grab of the handgun, much like a fly suddenly buzzing by a person’s face. Rather, punching the weapon at a non-traditional body part forces the Threat to orient to the threat of the handgun punching at, say, his femoral triangle/upper inner leg, then decide to defend against it—this takes time he does not have before multiple bullets are pounding through that body part. The weapon is literally punched as quickly as possible at the targeted body part—not punched into contact with suspect’s body—while firing repeatedly until the Threat falls or a better target more likely to stop his imminent threat becomes available.

The Proximity Shot creates injury through two mechanisms:

The bullet striking and penetrating through the body creates a permanent wound channel, organ damage and disruption, and broken bones with resulting secondary missiles causing damage. An obvious additional effect is exsanguination, or bleeding out to a greater or lesser degree.
Muzzle blast. The expanding gasses from the combustion of the gunpowder can enter the body part with explosive results, tearing apart and damaging tissue far beyond the permanent wound channel caused by the bullet.

Targeting is accomplished the same way as any shot: interrupt the eye-target line with the handgun. Look at the body part to be targeted, punch the weapon quickly at the target while firing, and continue to fire for as long as that target is available, until a bigger, or better target becomes available. Fire continues as rapidly as combat accuracy (any hit that diminishes the imminent threat to life) can be achieved until the imminent threat is over.

Proximity shots are traditionally performed by waiting to fire until the muzzle is at distances ranging from almost contacting the subject to a couple of inches from the Threat’s skin or clothing. This is inefficient; the moment the weapon is aligned on-target as it interrupts the eye-target line, begin shooting. It is not just a single shot, but multiple rounds fired into that body part. As long as the Threat remains an imminent threat, continue firing into the body part as the weapon is quickly thrust at the targeted area. If he continues to be aggressive, move the weapon to a target closer to the trunk until his chest or head can be targeted while continuing to fire.

Humble brag alert, if you’ll bear with me. I’m a 39 year old no stripe white belt in BJJ after about 8 months’ training. I have some background in combatives/defensive tactics/RBSD or whatever you want to call it as well as some sport and TMA’s and have been in a few scuffles over the years but have no real sport grappling background. The past two months have been an overtime bonanza at work so I am doing well to make it to the club once a week. I know both my skill and conditioning have slid as a result.

So tonight I passed up 10 hours double-time and hit the mats for some no-gi. I am sore everywhere, a few hundred dollars the poorer for missing out on the OT and I didn’t win a single match, but I’m happy. I survived 90 minutes in a high-paced takedown centered class and I held my own against a very legit purple belt and active pro MMA fighter (I outweigh him by a fair bit) and a very fit competitive 24 year old who is roughly my size. Both tapped me once in our five minute rounds. It pisses me off, but I’ll take it.

If I’m honest, they were “cardio taps”. I mean, they were good submissions but I got caught when I did largely because I didn’t have enough in the tank to keep scrambling. 3 months ago when I was training 3-4 nights a week and sleeping I would have stayed in the fight for longer. It’s time to up my game.

My takeaways: 1.) Size matters, conditioning matters, strength matters, technique matters and grit really matters. 2.) No matter how slow you may go sometimes progress-wise, the important thing is to never stop. 3.) Find the wins inside your losses, but be honest with yourself about where you fucked up. 4.) The worst day training is better than the best day on the couch watching Netflix and eating garbage.

3 Likes

It depresses me to hear this, but it is totally justified. However, in my experience the contempt for public servants and public service is widespread and doesn’t just apply to the police. Before I became a career firefighter I did paid EMS for a while at a combination department.

It broke my heart how little appreciation there was for the volunteers from the public and ER staff. We’re talking about people who got up after a long day of work, at meal times, family time or in the middle of the night, to go help a stranger, knowing that the call was likely bullshit, because someone might actually really need their help.

So it’s not just police.

2 Likes

All volunteers are underappreciated, EMS especially. Of course, everybody loves Fire. That said, we are generally the ones getting murdered simply for the colour of our uniforms.

Absolutely! Police have it the worst, no question. But I think, in this case you guys are the leading edge in the decay of public trust.

Question for the group, has the public disdain for police always been as open? Police have been called “pigs” since the 60’s. On the otherhand, children used to play cops and robbers, and the cops were the good guys, and an officer’s testimony was enough to decide a case.

Great comment and I agree totally, especially number 3, which is the hardest to overcome for the “average person”. Anyone who trains in martial arts, sports, or goes out for any type of selection, has to face the fact that some people are just better. Learn from that defeat and go on to make yourself stronger. Hard lesson to learn for most people.

1 Like

Not in my experience. You were always “disliked, maybe even hated” by the public, but, there was never this atmosphere of open killing. Killing a cop used to mean that every resource in the world would be used to find you and the perp would know that. Kill a cop and you crossed a line that you couldn’t come back from, now, it seems to me that the public doesn’t really care if a cop is killed. Just a another "pig in a blanket dead’.

In full disclosure, I don’t think I could go back and work the streets now, maybe in SWAT or fugitive, but, now, I after my present work, I would be too quick to just kill you and I would be the one in prison. I don’t have to worry about 90% of what a working officer has to consider. And I certainly don’t have the patience anymore.

Thought for the day:

AUT INVENIUM VIAM AUT FACIUM-I will either find a way or I will make one.

Legend has it that the military commander Hannibal said this to his generals after they told him it was impossible to cross the Alps on elephants.

Flashback Friday:

ww11

Garand

Some History:

The T3E2 was a semi-automatic trials rifle that was tested in small numbers by the U.S. military in 1931. It was among numerous prototypes designed by Jean Cantius Garand that would eventually lead to the adoption of the M1 Garand.-

The T3E2 was chambered in .276 Pedersen (7x51mm) and fed by 10-round en bloc clips. Although a superior rifle cartridge to .30-06 Springfield, the .276 Pedersen variant of Garand trials rifle was dropped in favor of .30-06 due to supply chain concerns.

As the standard-issue rifle cartridge of the U.S. through World War I, it had substantial stockpiles of .30-06 ammunition. This point was advocated for heavily by Army Chief of Staff General Douglas MacArthur.

Development of a rifle chambered in .276 Pedersen cartridge ceased in 1932, and the M1 Garand was officially adopted chambering .30-06 in 1933.