The Tactical Life

Both are imaginary.

1 Like

It’s a thought experiment…

That being said, I will change phrasing because I now realize the first one didn’t get to what I wanted-

Is it better to live in a land where everyone is a wolf or a land where most are sheep.

Another is-
Is it better to live in a land where everyone is a wolf or a land where everyone is a sheep.

I’m still not quite sure where you are going with this. I think wolves and sheep will agree that more sheep and fewer wolves is good, unless the supply of grass is running low.

1 Like

I’m still not getting it dude. In the typical wolf/sheep/sheepdog analogy (which is so overplayed to the point of just being irritating now, but that’s beside the point) the sheep are peaceful, productive people and the wolves are violent criminals.

If you’re asking if it’s better to live in a society where everyone is a violent criminal or one where most are peaceful and productive , this seems like kind of an odd question.

2 Likes

Lol… Yep no matter how slick your sparring gear is nobody gives a shit when you get choked/knocked the f@#k out. Skills are the only tools you can carry with you that weigh nothing.

I expect you can never get close enough to the ground in a firefight. Shortly before I joined we transitioned from a plain fabric body armour carrier to a molle style set up, primarily to accommodate carbine mags. Naturally guys immediately started hanging all kinds of crap off it because, well they could. I remember thinking ‘how are you ever gonna prone out to shoot?’

Ah, I just watched Sicario and read up a bit on people fantasizing.

Saturday Morning Coffee Break:

stream

sniper

Coffee Break:

BE%20READY

OMG

Coffee Break:

Nice

Coffee Break:

six

Coffee Break:

trooper

This weapon is calling my name, but, unfortunately the cost is way above my pay grade.

Coffee Break: And for those with the weekend off, a final word:

Yoda

1 Like

Motivation Monday (1): This week’s quote is from Warfighter Athletic

warfare%20athletic

I _want you to physically go take a long look in the mirror. Expose your full self to yourself, strip down to your underwear. Now take it all in and ask yourself am I where I want to be physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually. _

_If the answer is no now ask yourself why the fuck not. _

Why don’t you have the body you’ve been dreaming about having?

Why don’t you have the business you have always dreamed of starting?

_Why aren’t you getting the grades you need? _

Why haven’t you traveled to another country?

Most of the answers you come up with will be some piss weak excuse, expect more of yourself. Whatever you find missing during this reflection the excuses are over it’s time to do something about it. It’s time to start doing something about it that second. It’s time to get on the warpath for a life worth living.

1 Like

Motivational Monday (2): To the female warriors, all my respect:

female

SWISS

Tuesday’s Tactics: For LEO’s and any unfortunate parent caught at your child’s school:

shooter

I ran across this study on active shooters by the Secret Service, with to me is really strange, since the Secret Squirrels primarily work protection details and financial crimes. Probably commissioned the study for future VIP children. Anyway, some points to think about:

Key Points to Consider in Active Shooter Situations:

Active shooter incidents, particularly in schools, have shown some startling similarities. Several studies have been conducted to try to determine what makes an active shooter tick and compels them to act. The Secret Service’s “Safe School Initiative” came away with 10 key findings of what it calls acts of “targeted violence,” most of which are transferable to any active shooter scenario.

The study found:

1. Incidents of targeted violence were rarely sudden, impulsive acts.

2. Prior to most incidents, other people knew about the attacker’s idea and/or plan to attack.

3. Most attackers did not threaten their targets directly prior to the attack.

4. There is no accurate or useful “profile” of students who engaged in targeted school violence.

5. Most attackers engaged in some behavior prior to the incident that caused others concern or indicated a need for help.

6. Most attackers had difficulty coping with significant losses or personal failures. Moreover, many had considered or attempted suicide.

7. Many attackers felt bullied, persecuted or injured by others prior.

8. Most attackers had access to, and had used, weapons prior to the attack.

9. In many cases, other students were involved in some capacity.

10. Despite prompt law enforcement responses, most shooting incidents were stopped by means other than law enforcement intervention.

Whether it was Columbine, Virginia Tech, Newtown or San Bernardino, you can probably find most of these points intertwined in the event.

Speed, surprise and violence of action are the key tenants to any attack or counterattack. If you can master all three, you have a better chance of succeeding.

This type of incident is going to be settled in the first 20 minutes, and it’s going to be affected by patrol. The event may still be ongoing, but by responding quickly, the severity of the attack can be seriously mitigated.”

1. There likely won’t be a specific warning ahead of time.

2. A failure to immediately and effectively fight will result in innocents dying.

3. A lack of preparation and training ensures failure.

4. A lack of command and leadership inspires failure.

Hey Brother. Curious about your opinion on what specific drills that you can run on a flat range yield the highest pay offs? Watch your 6. Cheers.

Good Question and one that I really put a lot of thought into. Whether its regular patrol, SWAT, Military or specialty units, I always stress the fundamentals, especially weapon manipulations. If given the freedom to design my own drills, (not a given in police or military work) I place a heavy emphasis on training with the gear you wear for work, especially holsters and weapons. Training with gear that you don’t work with is just stupid. Training with competition gear is just stupid.

I don’t like standing on a square range, three feet from a target, drawing and firing. In the first place, in real life, unless you are caught in the open, you will (hopefully) always be behind cover. Firing from a prone, kneeling, or lying flat changes all the dynamics of shooting, especially reloading from the ground.

Always, Always, practice reloading from the ground either lying flat or prone, take three magazines, both pistol or carbine, place three rounds in each, go behind some type barricade, fire and reload from kneeling right leg, kneeling left leg and prone, reloading between strings of fire. You would be surprised how this simple little drill will screw people up. Most people cannot shoot for shit doing this.

For LEO’s I always have them reload from whatever magazine carriers they have been issued, it’s always amazing to me that some much has been written about the benefits of dry fire, but, so little about reloading mags from your gear. If I am on the line with 20 LEO’s / Specialty Units and call a reloading drill, I guarantee you, at least two will drop a mag, simply because, they haven’t trained with their issued gear.

I like to use movement drills which involve have the student go from one end of the firing line to the other, firing from standing, kneeling, and prone. Going from from carbine to pistol, with three reloads each. I don’t do a lot of time runs because most of the students will turn Alpha and do everything they can to beat the next person, instead of focusing on the drill and accuracy.

I will do this: At the start of the training, I will tell each student to run down to the end of the range and then back. I don’t say, “as fast as you can or anything” because I know if I make them do it individually, the Alpha will kick in and they run as fast as they can because they are not going to be embarrassed by the next person.

I don’t do this to check their PT level, I do it to see how they have secured their gear. I have seen pistols, magazines, knives, flashlights, belt buckles, harness straps, plate carriers, etc. fall off into the dirt. Ok, brother, do you really want to lose that gear during a gunfight? If it came lose now, what happens then?

Thou I just stated I don’t do a lot timing drills, I do believe in drawing and engaging multiple targets at different angles. Three targets: place at center and 45 degrees left and right, at 7 yards. 2 shots per target, 6 rounds total. I will time this drill, just to add a little extra spice. This little drill will force the shooter to change his foot and head placement. I will have them shot this with full grip, strong hand only, then support hand only.

One drill that I think is vastly important, is reloading with your primary hand. Think about it, I am right handed, so I always reload with the left. What if the left hand is injured? broken fingers, etc. My mags are on my left side, so I switch the gun to my left hand, between the knees, under the left arm, etc. and reload with my right. Total different movement, awkward, slow, but, you have no guarantee where you are going to be shot or injured. I also do this with my carbine, which is really a bitch, but, may save my life one day.

For timed drills, this is one of my favorites from Pat McNamara, like he says, it is a humbling experience.

I offer the following ‘Wizard Drill’. It is very simple, requires only five rounds of ammo, and can be shot on any range that allows work from the holster.

IDPA or IPSC (USPSA) targets are ideal. Place a 4″ circle centered in the head of the target. The handgun you use should be the one you carry, in the manner you routinely pack it. Ammo should be the self defense or duty ammo you carry as well. The time for each string of fire is 2.5 seconds. Start at 3 yards. On signal, draw and fire one head shot strong hand only at the head. Repeat at 5 yards, but you may use both hands.

Repeat at 7 yards, again both hands are permitted. Last, at 10 yards draw and fire two (2) body shots in the allowed 2.5 seconds. When you are done, you should have three head shots and two body hits. A miss is a fail. You can drop 2 points and past the test, anymore is a fail. Set your timer at 2.5 seconds. I allow 2.7 as that is about the length of the buzzer on most timers. If you are using a pocket carry mode, you may start with your hand on the gun in the pocket. Otherwise, hands normal at sides, no touching of the gun until the buzzer. Hits in the 4″ head circle or cutting the line are considered down zero, outside the circle but inside the head perforation is down one point. Competent and practiced shooters may consider this drill simple, but let’s be honest these folks make up less than one tenth of one precent of the people that carry firearms for self defense.

Try it, you may be in for a humbling experience. Don’t be surprised to find that those little 2″ airweight .38 special revolvers and pocket 380 autos are nearly impossible to pass this drill with. In police work we call this “a clue”.

For a timed movement drill:

Another easy one to set up that requires only seven rounds (10 rounds loaded) is ‘Turn and Burn’. Use a C-zone Steel target. Place cones at 25, 20, 15 and 10. Start at the fifty yard line with only 10 rounds loaded. On ‘Go’, run your ass off to the 25 and hit, then to the 20 and hit, 15, 10, turn and burn back to the 15, to the 20, and finish at the 25. Must hit at each yard line. If you do not accomplish seven hits with the ten rounds loaded, you are a ‘No Go.’ A good time for this one is thirty seconds.

I hope this helps a little and I will be posting other drills in the future.

Wednesday’s Weapon (1) The Cutlass

cutlass

One of my favorite cutting weapons and I actually own the one in the photo. During its heyday, it was the “defensive handgun” of its era and was used with deadly effect in many naval battles. Any Kali / Escrima moves will work well with the cutlass. Just a devastating short range cutting weapon. I love mine.

Some History

A cutlass is a short, broad sabre or slashing sword, with a straight or slightly curved blade sharpened on the cutting edge, and a hilt often featuring a solid cupped or basket-shaped guard. It was a common naval weapon during the Age of Sail.

Although also used on land, the cutlass is best known as the sailor’s weapon of choice. A naval side-arm, its popularity was likely because it was not only robust enough to hack through heavy ropes, canvas, and wood, but short enough to use in relatively close quarters, such as during boarding actions, in the rigging, or below decks. Another advantage to the cutlass was its simplicity of use. Employing it effectively required less training than that required to master a rapier or small sword, and it was more effective as a close-combat weapon than a full-sized sword would be on a cramped ship.

Wednesday’s Weapon (2): I think this falls straight into the category of “WTF”.

M6-KNIFE

"This is the American Defense Innovations Stinger. One of the more unique products to be found at this year’s SHOT Show, the Stinger is a ‘Rapid Deployment Bayonet’. It is designed to mount to the underside of a forend via Picatinny rail, and features an aluminum housing which deploys a large pseudo spike-style bayonet. The mechanism works by depressing a recessed button on the underside of the housing and dragging it forward so the unit locks into place"

Thought for the day (1.)

_The state that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools”. Thucydides

To follow up on yesterday’s post: Some words from Aaron Barruga

Time and accuracy are the traditional methods for measuring marksmanship performance. Throughout the US, law enforcement and military organizations rank their shooters proficiency through qualifications (or quals) that rely primarily on static shooting scores.

But as many of you reading this can attest, these types of quals are inaccurate measurements because they only assess performance at the lowest levels. On top of that, most quals ignore a principle feature of tactical shooting: the ability to shoot on the move. ( an important factor in staying alive)

Unfortunately for these shooters, the introduction of movement tends to downgrade their performances. Adding just a short run to a reload drill is enough to stall their performances, which then frustrates their execution while shooting. Typically these shooters hang their heads afterwards or start muttering profanities under their breathes. Although disappointment is part of the decompression process, it can also be a huge red flag that is indicative of a bigger issue.

It’s one thing for a shooter to physically underperform. It is a whole other issue if a shooter must divert energy to mentally think through patterns—such as a reload—or even to calm himself down. This type of individual is likely to be a liability on target because he has not learned how to maximize his recovery time, or learned to adapt his skills to unfamiliar circumstances.

the use of movement as a measurement of performance as opposed to solely relying on time and accuracy. The use of time, accuracy, and static shooting drills is not wrong. However, we achieve a better indicator of performance if an individual shoots a bullseye target after running into position. Such is the case, static shooting develops skill, while shooting and movement determines the depth of proficiency. ( This has been my experience also)_

Although we can use body, dashboard, and drone camera footage to observe how real fights unfold. We cannot fully predict what our fight will look like the day it happens. However, we can say with certainty that there will be some movement involved. Whether that’s creating space during an officer involved shooting around vehicles, or running three miles through the desert to access a safe house