The Tactical Life

I don’t see how the prank caller doesn’t get charged with manslaughter at a minimum.

This case bothers me because I know if I was the citizen who got SWATed there would be at least 10-15 seconds where I would be extremely confused about what was going on. I hope that once I put my hands up I would have enough sense to keep them up.

I feel very bad for the officers who responded.

I wish this hadn’t made the news, because thousands of anti-social dip-shits just got an idea. There will be attempted copy-cats.

Thought for the Day (1): New Year’s Resolution

Arrived back in Kabul yesterday and other than dealing with the usual jet lag issues, no worse for wear, thou I have reached my saturation limit with international travel. The constant whining and bitching of the large airport crowds is taking its toll and especially on flights, since most people treat airline attendants as their personal slaves. I could not do that job; I would be arrested in about a week for ramming my little Delta pen through some asshole’s eye. Anyway, I hope everyone had a safe holiday.

On January 01, I was in the states and was able to make my annual “Spartan Day”. For years, if I didn’t have to work, I would always start the year off with an all day workout. I started out with a 2 hour workout in an old gym that I use in the states, doing landmine presses, kettle bell shoulder presses, and heavy bag work. Leaving the gym, I drove to IHOP and filled up on pancakes and eggs. I then packed a day pack with everything I would need if I got caught out at night, and then drove to a large park in the northern section of the Chattahoochee National Forest and completed a 17 mile ruck. Nothing to brag about, just a good day of training in a clean environment. Now the point of this ramble is this: if you made a New Year’s Resolution let it be this:

If you only take on one resolution this year, let it be taking 100% responsibility for your life.

Be better tomorrow than you are today.

This a list I came across recently, pick one and start taking responsibility for your survival.

Marksmanship Classes
First Aid Classes
Martial arts classes
Survival and escape Classes
Self Defense Classes
Bushcraft Classes
Land Navigation
Wilderness Survival
Disaster Survival
Adaptability and Flexibility
Creative Problem Solving Abilities
Leadership Skills
Motivation and Commitment
Oral Communication Skills
Self-Discipline
The Ability to Learn Quickly–AND Correctly
The Ability to Work Independently
The Ability to Work Under Pressure

2 Likes

Thought for the day (2);

Final thoughts from Aaron on training Americans in 2017. Some good information here:

**The Five Most Important Lessons Of 2017:

1. GRAVITATE TOWARDS YOUR WEAKNESSES

The greatest display of heart this year was at our tactical marksmanship courses. These classes place a large emphasis on athleticism with a firearm, which results in a lot of sprinting on the range.

For some shooters, this is a departure from their routine of static marksmanship exercises. For others, they’re pushed completely outside of their comfort zone because they’ve neglected the physical fitness aspects of being a tactical professional. Midway through each course is when the quitters start making excuses. “Hey, my hamstring is bothering me.” Or, “…I had surgery on this knee a few years ago.”

There is a difference between legitimate pain—which attempting to push through encourages injury—and the self-busing of ego when perceived abilities are not matched by actual performance in training. ( **I have seen this many times)**

Typically, the shooters with the most trinkets on their guns and the most unnecessary gear on their kit are the first to make excuses. Their lack of heart is not because they lack coordination or physical ability. It is because these individuals are conditioned to invest in things, not themselves. ( read that sentence several times)

On the opposite end of the spectrum is the shooter that lacks any natural athletic ability and is flat out overweight. Watching these individuals push through discomfort to achieve heightened levels of performance is truly inspiring. ( disagree with him here, you pick a job where your team depends on you, then either be a professional or leave, its not inspiring to me at all)

You cannot buy a gadget to improve your resilience. There is no trinket that teaches you how to handle failure. All of this comes from within, and is often free of charge. ( read that again)

1. MASTER THE BASICS

Significant technological advances take a long time, and honestly, certain parts of the gun industry are already at the apex of development despite the constant release of new retail items (e.g. slings). While there’s nothing wrong with experimenting with gear, or even getting excited about new products, we should never focus on shiny objects at the expense of instead investing in ourselves.

2017 witnessed the spread of superfluous 9mm pistol modifications. The irony of adding these gadgets to a polymer gun is that a shooter can always improve his pistol marksmanship by instead reevaluating his application of the fundamentals.

Unless you’re significantly changing how you use your weapon (e.g. switching from rifle iron sights to variable zoom optics) most equipment upgrades only afford marginal advantages. Before you chop up a functioning carbine, or genie rub a polymer pistol, be sure that you have already mastered the basics. ( Pure Truth)

1. EMBRACE DISCIPLINE

Internet culture rewards impulsiveness. This year, a former Facebook executive publicly declared that social media’s “dopamine driven feedback loops” are destroying society. He’s right. The most amplified comments on social media are those that are inflammatory, baseless, or outright idiotic.

Although most of the tactical community’s outcry is typically directed towards unaccredited training methodology, the broader consequence is a shift towards mediocrity through the accumulation of useless information. Now that everyone has a voice on a platform with no barrier to entry, there’s been a notable shift towards rewarding shooters for regurgitating information, rather than actually applying it.

For others, they become so addicted to the attention they receive for posting a drill on Instagram that they neglect diagnosing the actual results of their performance. This is best demonstrated in the shooter that routinely posts static shooting videos, yet never identifies the sloppiness of his speed.

Instagram rewards popularity, not talent. Facebook allows us to broadcast misinformation absent of accountability. True growth as an individual doesn’t occur by growing your list of followers, it comes from disciplining yourself to form your own experiences and lessons learned. ( Pure Truth)

1. BE AUTHENTIC

Throughout the past decade, the silent majority of serious shooters has lost trust with instructors that immediately NASCAR themselves for a revolving door of product endorsements. Although there is nothing wrong with this business decision, it does mean that an individual needs to make his voice as vanilla as possible for mass appeal. Mediocre and non-offensive statements make sense if you’re selling retail products, but shooters are relying on instructors to be critical, to be bold, and to be leaders. ( yep, almost all “famous” instructors are whores for the money, at the expense of being shitty instructors)

1. GET OFF YOUR PHONE

Digital detoxing is bringing new meaning to the term sweat equity. Across America, adults are discovering that true satisfaction comes from doing, not from posting. When your motivations are intrinsic, your satisfaction is always greater. When your motivations are for a crowd, you are a slave to the anxieties of adult popularity contests.

Learning happens outside. Go there. ( Amen, Brother, Amen)

4 Likes

Saturday Morning Coffee Break:

both

fitness

Coffee Break:

Jessica

Coffee Break:

girl

weakness

Motivational Monday:

flash

ROBERT POWERS♠️, WWII Marine Raider, 93 year old Triathlete

After returning home from WWII and the Korean War, Powers re-discovered his passion for fitness. He has become a leader in his community by inspiring others to work hard and never give up on their fitness goals.

At 93, he still bikes, swims, and runs over 25 miles, 6 days a week and has completed 2 sprint triathlons this year. Robert Powers has made a significant impact on his country, his family, and his community.

All my respect, Sir.

What is your excuse for not training today?

1 Like

Thought for the day:( 1) A view of the martial arts from author, Barry Eisler

Mr. Eisler is not your typical fiction writer. A former CIA employee, he earned his black belt in Judo while stationed in Tokyo. After leaving the agency, he started writing full time, creating the John Rain series. Rain is also not your typical assassin, he specializes in making a death appear natural, has an extensive back ground in Judo, a master in situation awareness, loves Tokyo coffee houses and fine jazz music.

I have read all Rain novels and find them as “real” as street situations get in fiction writing. If you like a main character who trains constantly, smart on the street and is about as mercenary as you can get, check out the Rain series.

1 Like

Thought for the day (2): Thoughts on the martial arts from Barry Eisler.:

"I noted that all good defenses are layered, and that the place of martial arts like karate, judo, etc. is at the inner layer while the place of awareness and thinking like the opposition is at the outer. I made an analogy to firearms in the home: like your punches and kicks on the street, your firearm is your last line of defense against an intruder in your house; your perimeter lights and other means of deterrence, and quality locks and other means of delay, are your outer layers.

I think this analogy makes the relative cost effectiveness of the inner and outer layers of a defense system pretty clear. After all, assuming you’re not living out some Rambo* fantasy, would you rather shoot it out with an intruder in your bedroom or just have him take one look at your house and decide to rob someone else?

_But no matter how much I talk about awareness and avoidance, people always want to hear about martial arts, too. It seems the Paralyzing Nerve Point Strikes of Long Dong Do are sexier than just knowing where trouble is likely to occur and arranging to not be there when it does. All right, let’s talk a little about the “sexy” stuff. But please, let’s keep in mind what really matters—awareness and avoidance.

That last sentence is worth a pause. If you think situational awareness has nothing to do with self-defense (hint: it has everything to do with it), you’d be at the bottom of the food chain in John Rain’s line of work. The survivors—and yes, after a quarter century in the business and combat all over the world before that, Rain is one of them—don’t spend a lot of time on fantasy scenarios because they know that, except in the movies, they’re not going to be attacked by ninjas. They focus on what’s likely to happen and spend their time preparing for that. If you want to survive, you should do what the survivors do._

Survivors work backwards. They reverse engineer the problem. They ask, “What kind of attack am I likely to face?” And they design their training and defenses, including martial arts, accordingly.

How about you? What kind of attack are you afraid of? A mugging? Someone drunk and belligerent in a movie theater or at a concert? A fanatical football fan? If you’re a woman, you’re most likely concerned about rape; I’ll come back to that in a moment.

Let’s go with these for a minute. Imagine them. Do you see your attacker adopting a “put 'em up” stance before launching? Executing a spinning back kick? A “fingers of death” thrust to one of your nerve centers? In the real world, people don’t attack like that. They’ll lower their head and charge like a bull. Or try to grab you in a bear hug or headlock. Or throw a John Wayne roundhouse. These are your most common street attacks.

But how many martial arts dojos devote significant time to learning how to counter these attacks? Versus how many devote significant time to learning how to counter pretty roundhouse kicks to the head?

The title of this piece is “Practical Martial Arts,” right? Practical as in, “concerned with actual facts and experience, not theory.” People who don’t train for the attacks that really occur are learning ingenious solutions to fantasy problems. They’re getting really, really good—at the wrong thing. They’re the people Rain cuts through like a buzz saw if they get between him and a target.

What about training? Again, work backwards. Whatever you think you’re likely to face, you should try to get your training to imitate is as closely as possible. The more realistic your training, the better prepared you’ll be for the real event. This is obvious, right? Would you trust a surgeon who had only read an anatomy book? Or would you prefer someone who’d worked on cadavers and animals? In fact, wouldn’t you most prefer the surgeon who had actually performed the operation in question hundreds of times? Bruce Lee said, “The best preparation for the event is the event.” This is a profound statement and worth pondering.

A few hints: real violence involves fear and other emotions that will cause your body to dump large helpings of adrenaline into your bloodstream. If you’re not accustomed to it, adrenaline will cut off your access to whatever training you thought you had and cripple your ability to respond effectively. Most dojos give a nod to adrenal stress training by having their students spar. But how much like the real event is point sparring, with light contact and no shots to the head? With rules and a referee and consenting players? With no “woofing” or verbal aggression, no uncertainty about the other person’s intentions beforehand? Introduce yourself to adrenal stress training before the actual event so you’ll be better able to handle the adrenaline dump during the real thing.

I know what you’re thinking now… hey, he promised to talk about martial arts and there’s nothing in here about karate and kung fu and all that stuff! I mean, who would win between an aikido master and a savate master? Come on, tell me!

I’ve always found these questions strange. After all, are you planning on becoming a judo master? Do you expect to have to fight one? If not, how is the question relevant to you? Pick an art based on how, how often, and how long you’re going to train, and on whom that art will help you defend against, not based on hypothetical death matches between wizened martial arts masters.

Here’s another hint: training matters a lot more than technique. What difference does it make if you’re using a boxer’s punch or a judo throw or a karate kick if you haven’t practiced the technique 10,000 times or more? (sub-hint: techniques that can be drilled more quickly can be learned more quickly, too. Ten thousand repetitions of a drill that takes one minute takes less time than 10,000 reps of a drill that takes five minutes. So simple moves can be learned more quickly, and are less likely to fail under adrenal stress, too).

As for specific arts, I tend to favor the ones that can be practiced “live.” Boxing, judo, jujitsu, muay thai, sambo, and wrestling are all examples of arts that, by their nature, can be practiced as a sport against a determined opponent. If you’re trying to learn how to weave off the line of an incoming punch, it helps if the punch is thrown by someone who’s really trying to knock your head off. If you’re trying to learn how to hit someone with a hip throw, it helps to learn how to do it against an opponent who’s trying his hardest to stop you. Yes, I know neither of these examples is the same as the “real thing.” Training is an approximation. The closer the approximation, though, the better the training.

A few paragraphs up I promised to mention women and defense against rape. Let’s work backward again, as we know survivors do. What does a rapist need to do to carry out a rape? He needs to be very close to you, right? That’s grappling distance. So other things being equal, which is a more practical martial art for fighting off a rapist: a grappling art like Brazilian jiu-jitsu (BJJ), or a kicking art like Tae Kwon Do (TKD)? And which kind of training will give you better adrenal stress inoculation against a rapist’s attack: rolling on the ground face to face with a partner who’s trying to pin you, armbar you, strangle you, and otherwise submit you using all his strength, or point sparring with a partner who’s trying to kick you? Which art is a better approximation of what you’re training for?

I**f you’ve never been grabbed violently and thrown into the wall or onto the ground, the emotional shock of the experience is apt to be as debilitating as the physical event_**. The whole feeling will be completely unfamiliar to you; the chances of your freezing are high. But a woman who trains in a grappling art like judo or BJJ gets thrown around every day. She’s used to it—she has been partially inoculated against the effects of adrenal stress. When the real thing happens, it’s therefore considerably less shocking; the danger of freezing, considerably lower.

A more specific point: a rapist is likely trying to position himself between your legs. A scary thought, true. But one of the strongest positions in BJJ is the “guard,” where you control your opponent in precisely this fashion—by holding his torso between your legs. A rapist trying to force himself between the legs of a properly trained BJJ woman is therefore putting himself in a position the woman has actively sought to put her opponents in thousands of times before, a position from which she has trained and learned options like armbars and strangles and escapes. What does the TKD trained woman do from here? How familiar is the position to her? What sort of “muscle memory” and stress inoculation is she relying on?

Back to martial arts generally. I don’t mean to imply that arts like aikido, hapkido, karate, kung-fu, TKD, etc. aren’t combat effective; I know they can be. But because the way these arts are taught and trained is a more distant approximation of the “real thing” than is, say, a boxing or wrestling match, if you’re talking about a fight, or than, say, BJJ, if you’re talking about an attempted rape, the learning curve is longer. Again, you have to ask yourself how long you’re going to train, and how often, and measure the answers against your objectives.

But remember, none of this matters as much for your safety as awareness and avoidance. No matter what your martial art, make sure you practice those.

Further reading and training:

Awareness and avoidance (there’s a reason this category comes first, by the way):
Gavin DeBecker, The Gift of Fear, http://www.gdbinc.com/home.cfm

Marc MacYoung, Cheap Shots, Ambushes, and Other Lessons

Tony Blauer’s tapes and courses, http://www.tonyblauer.com
Alain Burrese, Hard Won Wisdom from the School of Hard Knocks, available through http://www.burrese.com

Loren Christensen’s books and videos, available through http://www.lwcbooks.com
Marc MacYoung’s books and videos, available through http://www.nononsenseselfdefense.com
Effects of adrenal stress on combat preparedness:

Dave Grossman, On Killing
Dave Grossman, On Combat

Firearms training and justifiable use of lethal force:
Massad Ayoob
http://www.ayoob.com

4 Likes

Great post. Thanks. @ women, and defense against someone coming in very close. Completely relevant to my comment about how my daughter would rather kick box than be in grappling distance, taking a sweaty armpit in the face. Haha. Better to train for close approximation, survival. The other stuff is more conditioning, all good but probably less useful in a survival/ rape situation.

1 Like

Thought for the day: Some Tuesday Tactics:

police_diamond_formation_protection_md_wm

4-Man-Diamond

Diamond and serpentine formations:

The diamond formation starts with at least 4 “agents”, hence the name. Depending on the layout of the area and the circumstances, a diamond formation can be “tightened” or “opened” as the “agents” position themselves to obtain the best safety, speed and vantage point for their team. The ideal goal is to have 360 degrees of view covered while the team works in unison to ensure each person does not obscure their teammate’s view or firing ability. Distance between “agents” is maintained to minimize casualties.

The Diamond Formation is generally used for moving down hallways; the Serpentine Formation is a relative of the Diamond Formation. The Diamond Formation often tranforms into the Serpentine Formation depending on the width of the passageway travelled and if there are obstructions encountered during movement.

Thought for the day:

The title of this piece is “Practical Martial Arts,” right? Practical as in, “concerned with actual facts and experience, not theory.” People who don’t train for the attacks that really occur are learning ingenious solutions to fantasy problems**. They’re getting really, really good—at the wrong thing***.

Capture

I would like to revisit this statement. As you know, if you read this thread, my posts are weapons heavy . Despite my lifelong love for the martial arts, in my current assignment, all encounters involve weapons. So, I train for close quarter, house to room CQB. I don’t work the street anymore, where 99% of encounters are close with either the perp or citizen.

So, my training now is concentrated on being able to move and shoot accurately under stress. I now use my martial arts training as back up to my job. If I was back in the states working uniform again, my priorities would change,( unless I was SWAT), I would place most of my focus on combat handgun/ carbine training and some form of grappling.

Now, I am not talking about whatever physical training you do, that never stops. My point is this: I have been guilty in the past in training for attacks that would be extremely remote. Examine your training; is it going to do what you need it to do in a real situation?

1 Like

Can you elaborate on these experiences ie what are some common training practises that occur that would rarely help someone in a confrontation or combat situation?

French Police

This is a few I can think of now, I am sure more will come later. One thing to make clear this is my own opinion on some of the training I have had to attend or chose to do on my own. Just because I don’t consider it worthy, doesn’t mean someone else doesn’t. Besides, in most cases I had no say in the matter. In no particular order:

1.Rappelling out of a helicopter onto a massive hotel/ business office, entering on the top floor and rappelling down an elevator shaft. Now, for those that have never been in an elevator shaft, it’s not that big, the cables are coated in red grease and there really is no space to fight, beside, if bad guy tossed in a grenade you were fucked, if you even lived, you hearing would be blown to hell. I always thought this was particularly stupid, since in any civilian SWAT or military operation, you have to clear the stairs anyway.

1. Rappelling on the top of a moving school bus. You can make it work in a wide open desert, try it on some major city street. If the pilot doesn’t crash into a building first, you can always slam into a street light hanging from the rope.

2. How to board a small or medium size boat from a jet ski. Jumping off the back of a jet ski works in the movies, but, try it on the open ocean. God made zodiacs for a reason.

3. During the stack before an entry, balancing you carbine or pistol on the shoulder of the guy in front of you. Pure insanity. Not only is the platform you are using so unstable you will shoot your buddy in the back of the head, but, let’s say you did pull it off, I don’t care how good your hearing protection is, that is going to cause some damage.

4. How to operate with a 30 man entry team where the point man changes every room entry. Well, a 30 man team is hell to coordinate anyway, changing out the point man every time requires the timing of a ballet troupe. 30 men on the inside? What’s the number of the opposition?

5. “Someone” got the bright idea that using hatchets and tomahawks to take out sentries was the way to go, so I spent about two weeks learning the basics on how to throw hawks and hatchets. Really fun, nice play time. In the first place, why is a hawk better than a silenced .22 pistol? And second, who throws hawks in the dark? In fact, why would you throw one of your weapons anyway? A hawk is not the kiss of death, so you hit someone in the chest , you don’t think they cannot fire a round before they die? Killing people is not as easy as the movie make it out to be.

6. Pepper spray “slugs” made for attack dogs. Yeah right, you think that dog is not coming for you at about 20 miles an hour and some pepper spray is going to take him out? One time this doper had a very large pit bull as an attack dog, he abused the dog, even had its vocal cords cut out so the cops would not hear him coming. The dog was basically insane from the treatment; it took three .12 gauge slugs to put it down. Pepper spray? Yeah, ok.

7. Forced to attend training on how to stop a knife attack with a PR-24 / ASP. Sure brother, sure. How about small team tactics to retake a military prison during a riot, but, not allowed to carry any type of impact weapons?

8. Training on how to use throwing knives during combat. Enough said there.

9. Aikido: beautiful art and I have all the respect in the world for the instructors, totally worthless for the street. ( IMHO)

10. Training to shoot terrorists in the hips because they may be wearing a bomb vest. Nice theory , but, they are still going to detonate anyway. Besides, in an actual situation, you don’t care where you hit someone that is shooting at you, you just want them to stop. Just hit them first, worry about a kill shot after you have stopped the initial threat.

So very true!

Thought for the day: And so it begins, another bloody year approaching.

FAMILY_HEADER-VE_zps095mqst5

Christopher D. Hill, 45, an Army veteran who was part of the U.S. Marshals Service for 11 years, was killed after being shot while serving a warrant at the Harrisburg house around 6:10 a.m., the agency said. Members of the U.S. Marshals fugitive task force were serving an arrest warrant to Shayla Lynette Towles Pierce, who was wanted for allegedly making terroristic threats, U.S. Attorney David Freed said.

While Pierce was being handcuffed, a man who was in the house fired his gun, striking Hill and York City Police Officer Kyle Pitts, officials said. Hill was taken to the hospital and pronounced dead about 20 minutes later.

The shooting suspect fled through the front of the home while he continued to fire at law enforcement, officials said. He was killed by return fire during the incident.

All my respect , brother. Host a tankard of mead for all your years of service.

Thought for the day (2). If you are going to the range this weekend, some good information from Pat McNamara

Pac-Mac-Training-5

“Train like you fight” is an overused and misunderstood axiom. I hear its misuse frequently. Does it mean that we must train in full combat gear all of the time? Does it mean that we have to train until we drop? The answer is no. It has nothing to do with how much black Velcro you strap on your person. The term comes from athletics of yore: “Practice like you play.” Instead of practicing on a half-court, practice on a full court, for example.

Let’s put it into terms outside of the range. When you work out to ensure your combat chassis is more effective and capable, do you do it in full kit? Every time? If the answer is no, then I guess you are not training like you fight. How about on the range? If your objective to marksmanship training is to dissuade a home invasion, should you be training in boxer shorts? Think about it.

Too many of the folks I train are subservient to square-range mindset nonsense from institutional inbreeding. Snatching the pistol back into their workspace so that they may scan and assess for more threats is an example of the square-range mindset. Following the target down is another one. If we were going to scan and assess, wouldn’t the pistol go with us? What about following the target down? What if he is down a flight of stairs or what if he is in a vehicle? Is a person really going to fall down in slow motion in a straight line? I think not.

Beyond Drills

“Train like you fight” means training beyond the drill. If the drill requires one shot, that doesn’t mean we don’t train for two, for five, for 10. Do not let the drill dictate when you should stop thinking. Check your work through your weapon’s sights. Reset your trigger and get ready for the next shot. Scan what is available to scan—with your gun. Check for targets to the left and right, for example. Here are some more useful tips:

• Perform a focal shift. Try to see things full spectrum. Once again, work beyond the drill. If the targets are directly in front of you, look beyond them, in front of them, and understand what is flanking these targets.

• When taking a step or two to the rear, make sure that you are taking a snapshot of what’s behind you. Many of us do not do this on a flat range because we know that it’s clear. After all, it’s a flat range. Try that in a Wal-Mart parking lot at zero dark thirty. You’ll be ass over tea kettle, my friend.

• Train during periods of limited visibility. Understand your flashlight’s potential capabilities and its flaws. Use your light when you need it. Ensure that it is off when you don’t.

• How do you run with a gun? My answer, “The same way you run without one!” Stop all of the gimmicky bullshit and train like you fight. After all, the objective when moving from Point A to Point B is to get there. Mobility equals survivability. It’s hard to shoot a moving target.

• Train in adverse weather conditions. It sucks to train in the rain. Cold rain especially. Your hands get slippery, you sight fogs up. We lose dexterity. Do we fight in the rain? You’re damn right we do! So get out there in a storm, put some rounds downrange, do your med training and perform vehicle ops when the weather is crappy.

• Train to stay in the fight. It’s OK to suck in training. It is a biological requirement that we humans fail. When we do, however, we must learn from the past, prepare for the future and perform in the present. Get into contingency planning mode. Fail quickly and do not let your failure become a recurring theme.

• Get out of the square-range mindset. Implement movement drills. Simple short movements to the front, laterally, rear oblique, etc., are essential. Footwork is a necessary component to gunfighting. After all, fighting is fighting. Learn to move like a ballerina instead of a duck.

• If you do not live in the “tactical” world, strip off that K-vest, MultiCam, drop-down holster, mag pouches and work from concealment. Do those mag changes out of your pocket.

• Run a sprint or two prior to a course of fire. Mobility is a natural defense mechanism built into our hard drives. Will we have to run in a gunfight or simply stand in front of a static target and get our blaze on? After the run, assess how your gear is fitted to your person. Did it move? Does it make a bunch of racket? Do you have to hold it in place during your jaunt? Did you leave a yard sale behind you?

Keep a few of these things in mind next time you hear “train like you fight” and add them to your list.

Cheers Idaho. A lot of what you are saying makes much sense. An added benefit of not training for useless skills is that you have more time to work on the useful stuff.

1 Like

My heart goes out to the family of this brave man.

In your opinion what, if anything, could have been done to prevent this atrocious act?

Not being on the scene, the first thing that came to my mind after I read this was: Was the house completed cleared? Did they even go inside or was the perp found on the street? Maybe they had bad intelligence and thought the perp was alone, I don’t know, but, if the perp was inside the house, then he was missed during the initial sweep. Its not hard to do, being jacked on adrenaline, with your focus narrowed through “tunnel vision.”

Or, being human, they could have found the shooter in the house, searched him and found no weapon, and then dismissed him as a threat. It happens, especially if you carry out multiple arrest during a month (fugitive squads especially, that’s all they do) Complacency kills us all, if we let it.

Or they could have cleared the house, failed to have all the entrances secured after the take down and the shooter came into the house from the back and then fired on the officers out front. I hope the follow up investigation will lead to some answers, especially how a armed shooter was missed. Any answers will hopefully point out what happened and save someones life in the future.

1 Like