The Tactical Life

Fact.

I often advise people new to handguns, go to a indoor range that rents handguns and try a selection and see what fits you.

1 Like

MR. 3v,
Good advise from Batman. ( even if he is Canadian):)))

1 Like

Thought for the day (1): True words here:

gun

Thought for the day (2):

Work is sending me out to the boonies for a few days and then I am going back to the States for a couple of weeks. I would like to take this opportunity to wish everyone here, a safe and happy holiday. Enjoy your families and always be aware, this is the insane time of year.

I would like to leave you with a little Christmas humor:

dicks

2 Likes

Thought for the day (3):

Before I leave, this just came in from another instructor. I have not reviewed them, nor, do I have any financial ties with them, but, maybe someone would like to check them out.

fight

Are you planning to read them? If so can you give us some feedback? They look interesting.

That’s great advice to any new handgun owner. It might seem expensive at first, but renting handguns to figure out what suits you is a LOT cheaper than buying handguns to figure out what suits you.

Any range that rents guns will probably rent you a Glock 19. I did just that, along with getting a chance to shoot a few other models through friends. I knew I was buying a gun that I could shoot well, which is why I’ll probably never sell it even though I seldom carry it on my person.

Although not ideal for defensive applications, there’s a lot of good things to be said about starting off with a .22 and spending your remaining budget on ammunition and training. If you think you’ll become a guy who buys more than one gun, this might be worth consideration.

1 Like

Merry Christmas, and thanks for your contributions!

@twojarslave @batman730

Thanks for the advice fellas, certainly going to keep these words in mind. With that perspective, I can rank the 3 intended uses pretty easily. 1. Fun/training 2. Carry 3. Home defense.

I’m going to have to take a trip to a range soon to get my hands on some viable options.

I would add that if you’re going to concealed carry, you have to spend money on a good belt. It needs to be very stiff. The going rate for good belts seems to be $60 plus. If it’s cheaper be suspect. I would also advocate for something simple. It’s nice if you can use your belt to rappel but you probably don’t need the extra D-ring hanging off of it. You can do a google search for “best concealed carry belt” and 8 out of their 10 “best” are going to have stupid shit on them like a D-ring for rappelling. I wear a belt with a D-ring, but I actually get to do some rappelling every now and then. I also don’t wear it around town like a mo mo.

Second, embrace the drawer full of holsters. It’s going to happen. You’re going to have to spend money on a good holster, but first, try to buy used off eBay, and try all of the options, appendix (abbreviated AIWB), strong side, small of the back. Try all of them for a while, then when you know how you’re carry you can invest in a well made holster from a big name designer for that position. Better to have a drawer full of $20 holsters than a pile of holsters that cost you $80+. In the end you’ll have to spend the geetus, but buy once cry once.

Third, when you find a pistol you like, try to buy used. You may be happy with it now, but 2 or 3 years from now your taste may have changed. Example, you may feel safer with a safety or an external hammer, or both so for your first pistol you may buy a Beretta or an HK USP, later you may prefer the simplicity of a striker fired pistol and want a Glock, or HK VP9. If you buy used, you probably won’t lose very much cash on the resale.

3 Likes

My best to you and yours Brother. Watch your 6, kick some ass and come back whole. Merry Christmas.

1 Like

Belated addition to Wednesday’s weapons. In a nod to the Irish side of my Norse/Irish heritage, I give you the shillelagh, a traditional Irish walking/fighting stick. It rose to popularity in a time when Scotts and Irish were not permitted to carry swords (which speaks to my Canadian heart). Shillelagh were typically constructed of blackthorn and besides self-defense they were also used as duelling weapons to settle gentlemanly disputes. A simple, inexpensive tool, but inthe hands of a skilled practicioner could be used to devestating effect.

220px-Assorted_shillelagh

2 Likes

Merry Christmas to my brothers in blue, especially those of you on duty, and Merry Christmas to those of you serving overseas! Stay safe!

2 Likes

Hey batman could I get your opinion on something?
Im a fellow Canuck (prairies) so your viewpoint as an RCMP is very relevant. I’m not sure the best way to ask this but in light of recent events and posts up-thread in just going to put it out there.
I’m the soundman at my church, this puts me closest to the door and I’m the one watching the security camera of the door.
What would be the legality of keeping a firearm in the building? What I have in mind is pretty much what you described a few posts ago, a pump action 12ga in a locking gun cabinet under the sound booth desk. The firearm would be stored there 24/7 but would not be accessible except when I am there with the key.
And for some context to ppl that think this is nuts, my brother goes to church in another town about 2 hours away from me and just a few months ago someone walked in and stabbed one of their members and then walked out. Here’s a link to the story. Suspect in Winkler church stabbing found fit to stand trial | CBC News
If someone walks in with a gun I would like to have something more than just fingernails… since bad language doesn’t really fly in church…
Anyway if you can point me in the right direction even if that direction is a firm NO I would appreciate it.

Merrickt, I hear where you’re coming from. That said I definitely can’t give you specific legal advice over the interwebz. I will say this: ask 5 cops in Canada about our firearms laws and you’ll likely get 5 different answers.

Here’s what I will say, based on my personal understanding. Full size shotguns in Canada are generally non-restricted. A person can legally acquire and possess one with a valid PAL.

I would encourage you to read, fully understand and abide by the storage laws for non-restricted firearms as outlined on the RCMP website and in the Criminal Code. Pay particular attention to the stipulations regarding ammunition.

NO FIREARM IN CANADA MAY BE STORED LOADED. Period.

On a more personal note, I don’t know beyond sound man at church what your background is, but simply having access to a gun does not really provide any real measure of safety.

Pulling out a shotgun and trying to deal with an active threat at a crowded church or other public venue has the capacity to turn into 7 kinds of shit show for a trained person, let alone an untrained one.

Like I said, I hear you and I appreciate the impulse to protect, but the responsibility that goes along with using a firearm in public is enormous and the potential for catastrophe is significant. I would really suggest you think and study and train long and hard before you even consider putting yourself in that position.

All the best.

2 Likes

Thanks for the great reply batman, you’ve given me a lot to think about, research, consider, and reconsider. Stay safe and stay warm.

Batman already answered your question very well. I would say that against a knife wielding assailant I would be happy to be armed with a dry chemical fire extinguisher. At least as happy as anyone being attacked by a knife wielding assailant could be.

A fire extinguisher has a good ten foot reach, the powder is very blinding/choking and then you have a heavy metal canister to bash them in the head with. Admittedly not the best weapon against a firearm, but the will to fight goes a long way.

Arming yourself with a gun definitely isn’t a quick solution. But something that would help greatly would be a well stocked first aid kit and training in how to use it, specifically stopping major bleeds and cpr. Would also be handy in other emergencies besides mass shootings, like say you roll up on a car accident. It sounds like you live in a rural area, you may be the first and only help a critically injured person gets for a long time. You may not want the responsibility but you really don’t want to be the first help on scene and not know what to do. It sucks, I’ve been there.

2 Likes

First: Happy New Year to all. I hope it is truly a safe and productive year for you and your families.

Second: for all LEO’s, Be sharp. 2017 was one of the deadliest years for all carrying a badge, as the shooting Sunday night involving the Colorado deputies points out in stark reality.

Third: Merrickt,
Solid advice from Batman and Uncle_Gabby. What a situation to be put in. Sad, a “Sheppard” is not allowed to protect his own because governments have decided to take away to the most fundamental right of all: the right to defend your life. Canada is not the only culprit, with the states of California, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey and New York being just as stupid. Our politicians are hell bent on making good citizens felons for their own political gain.

I will be on leave for another 5 days and then back to 'stan. Again, wishing you all a safe year.

1 Like

What are your thoughts on what happened in Colorado vs. what happened in Wichita with the “swatting” last week? Potentially ill-prepared for one incident and very over-prepared for the other.

Was Wichita just a case of nerves due to the current climate? Or do you just think the whole response was massively bungled?

After being involved in three domestic shootings and three lawsuits, I never question any police response until the trial is over and the officer is either innocent or guilty. I have had the media gleefully distort any facts they can. No trust with anything they report until after the investigation.

As far as Kansas, police received a call about a murder and on going hostage situation. I have been there and done that, so I understand the dynamics. The fucking asshole who made the call needs to be shot himself. You are doing your best to save lives.

I was not on the scene, i dont know what went down, but, I will venture this: A lot of mistaken shootings could simply be avoided by following verbal commands from the officer, whether they are appropriate or not. On my side of the fence, in this day of police work, I would question every call i was in route to, and, reminder myself that the call could be fake, a deliberate ambush, or a legit call for help.

As for for assholes calling in fake SWAT calls that get people killed and ruin an officers life: mmmmmmmmm.