The Tactical Life

Dereks,
Listed is a course of fire from Mike that takes about 30 minutes and 50 rounds. It may save you some time.

"When I am limited in time here is my twenty minute 50 round course designed to integrate the conscious contradiction of a fast draw, reload or magazine exchange into a 50 round Bullseye course. I shoot it on either a B8C Bullseye target or preferably a 6” round steel plate.

All shots are fired from the holster alternating the start position from hands at sides to surrender position and all ending with the pistol returned to the holster.

40 draws (10 with transition to support hand), 50 precision shots (30 freestyle, 10 strong hand only 10 support hand only), 5 slide lock reloads, 5 magazine exchanges.If you concentrate and make every shot a proper one that is a lot of work in 20 minutes!

Freestyle slow fire- 10 rounds
Strong hand only- 10 rounds
Support hand only- 10 rounds
Draw shot slide-lock reload shot 10 rounds
Draw shot-magazine-exchange shot 10 rounds

Thanks Idaho! I have spent hours looking over the lucky gunner ammo tests. The pictures and videos are hypnotizing.

I know that ballistic gel isn’t the same as a live body, live bodies have bones and tissues of different densities. But it’s the best option we have. If anybody knows of another website with as much data please share.

Another anecdote about ammo selection: when I bought my lastest love, the HK p2000 I ran Speer Gold Dots, Federal HSTs Remington Golden Sabers, and Hornady XTPs, all 124 grain +Ps, through it.

When shooting the Speer Gold Dots about everything third shell casing would come straight back and bounce off my forehead. Annoying. I was constantly switching between brands on every mag, and couldn’t get any other brand to do it. I even deliberately limp wristed a few. Nothing against Speer or Gold Dots in general. I’ve shot quite a few through other pistols and it’s great stuff, it’s just not the one for this pistol.

I like “box of truth” ammo tests as well. 1911’s being finicky with hollowpoints is one thing that pushed me to carry a revolver more. I run ball in the 1911, never a problem. Not really a knock on the design since hollowpoints weren’t a thing when John Browning designed the 1911.

I like the Hornady Critical Defense/Duty brand. If you look at their videos it performs as advertised (expands) after passing through clothing, windshields, car doors etc…

My 1911 liked 230 grain hollow points with rounded shoulders. I shot several boxes of 230 grain Golden Sabers no problem. The 185s that wouldn’t function were shaped like a truncated cone.

I really like Hornady. I owned a S&W model 28 for a while, and I shot about 8 different brands of hollow points trying to find a good hunting round and the Hornady’s were the most accurate, both 125s and 158s. I was resting my wrists on a sandbag and the results were consistent and pretty dramatic.

Idiot ex brother-in-law lung shot a deer and then proceeded to drop his muzzle loader in the snow, rendering it useless.

Tracked her for 2 miles. Used a 158gr critical defense as a coup de grace from 25 yards. She was laying in tall grass and all I could see was her head peaking up. I was worried the round would glance off and cause more suffering. Nope. The skull “popped”, only thing holding it together was the skin. I never go for head shots on game because jaw and neck misses are really inhumane, but that was damned impressive.

Well I am definitely in for this. 20 Years old, military. Done Nothing noteworthy so far but always interested in learning.

Idaho, thank you for the info. I will try implementing this drill during my range time.

Thank you also for the overall training info. A very comprehensive reply. I have been dabbling with your feedback and what I can do with my factors (time, money, equipment, injury history, etc.) and came up with the following:

Monday/Wednesday/Friday - Strength and Conditioning (still dialing in what I’m doing specific days so didn’t want to post info that I’m not confident in yet, but gravitating towards a push/pull upper/lower hybrid to avoid overuse, mainly bodyweight work and some sandbag work).

Tuesday/Thursday - Firearm drills and bag work, including shadow boxing (essentially the combative/martial component of my training). I intend to conduct about 10-15 minutes of dry fire training per day but these days will be more focused on reload drills, draw from concealment, etc.

Saturdays - Range day. I’ve been goin twice a week but I can consolidate that into one day. Friend of mine has private range on his land so always open and never busy. Living in NC means year round access outdoors. Typically shoot 200-300 rounds weekly.

Any feedback? Looks good or looks horrible?

I am not a personal trainer, but, I use basically the same push /pull model (landmine presses/ pull ups/rows/kettlebell carries, which really "pulls’. I always take Sento’s advice to heart, so I have been doing more “gymnastics work”, which, has been basically a very humbling and disastrous affair:)). I have been thinking about doing nothing but bodyweight and loaded carries for a three weeks as an experiment.

As long as the firearms drill are conducted first. Heavy bag work done correctly, will leave you spent and your fine motor skills trashed. Not good for any type of precision shooting, well, maybe trap and skeet after a few hours rest:)) Dry fire drill is excellent, focus, focus. 10 to 15 minutes should get it done.( safety always)

Friday is our range day here and I always start the training with running a basic carbine and pistol drill. Last Friday I ran Pat’s Blaze X drill for starters. There was a lot of playfull/snide comments from the group as everyone here knows their way around a gun. However, these died out as the group was ordered to watch and critique each shooter. Remember, movement and basics keep you alive. Even for experience shooters, its good to go back and review. You dont need a state of the art kill house to learn how to move and hit. I am posting a video of the Blaze X, give it a try, its very simple to set up. Another suggestion, invest in a timer, it will change the dynamics of the shot.

I dont know what part of NC you are in, but, google up Southern Pines Brewery, if you want a fine micro brewed IPA. Be safe.

Motivational Monday:

Decide today if you are going to be predator or prey.

Predator

Great to see this thread - thanks!

As a now civilian, I’m constantly amazed by the oblivion I see from fellow Americans in public.

The one thing that I see most is faces stuck in a phone, then headphones on. All condition white when it should be yellow.

Now, I’ve seen it alluded to so far, but no one has just flat out said it - Muslims are potentially very hazardous by definition. They’re bad enough overseas, but the US has a much higher target density.

Their Holy book instructs them to subjugate all non-believers (us infidels) into one world caliphate. That’s what ALL of them see in their Quran, whether they’re zealous to act upon it or not.

I keep hearing how Islam is a peaceful religion and us “bad/mean Crusader Christians” warred against their religion for centuries, when in fact the Crusades were called to defend fellow Christians and their lands from Islamic incursions. People need to read the actual history, and maybe see a Muslim country fully under Sharia law firsthand before making such BS statements.
Been there done that and an Abrams tank couldn’t chase me back.
The scary thing is if we’re not careful, they’ll use as much force as they can muster to attempt establishing Sharia law here. Screw that!

Point? If you see a Muslim, keep at ready moreso than probably any other group inside our bioders.

Now don’t misinterpret what I’m saying, we shouldn’t hate them because they’re Muslim. We should, however, be prepared to defend against lethal force automatically when we see them.

And i swear the next time I hear an English speaking American say "Al salaam alakem (so?) I’m gonna clock their ass.

Stay safe people!

1 Like

You won’t find me cheerleading any of the ideological tenants of Islam, but this is a pretty ridiculous statement.

I live in a small Maine city with a LOT of Somali and Bantu Muslims. This has not been without problems, but lethal force has not been the solution to any of them in the 10+ years we’ve had a sizable population living here.

There’s nothing wrong with keeping one’s guard up, and even being more-on guard in certain areas or around certain people, but I believe that a smile and a nod, or holding the door open, or helping a woman load that new mattress on top of her van are better choices than assuming they are terrorists.

Like it or not, they are a part of our community. I’m not in favor of bringing in more refugees, but we have to do our part for those that are here. Plus it would become extremely tiresome to spend one’s day making tactical assessments for the extremely common instances of Muslim sightings.

I mean what are you going to do, wait for another checkout line to open up at BJ’s when they are both staffed by Somalians? Take the back roads instead of following behind the minivan with a Somalian family in it? Find a large oak tree to hide behind when a Somalian family approaches you on the trail at the state park, just in case they have explosives strapped to them? Speed through the red light when a trio of old Muslim guys are hanging out on the corner?

This is all stuff that happened to me yesterday, btw. Totally mundane, normal events where I live. Not condition orange stuff at all, unless you want that going on in your head every single day.

2 Likes

@twojarslave

I must’ve come across wrong - sorry.

I guess a better way to say it is to go to the edge between yellow and orange when we see them. Just a little more heightened awareness.

Now as for the interactions, I’m torn between the common sense, polite approach and avoidance. If I see someone needing help I’m inclined to give it. But I’m also inclined to stay away from Muslims. Example: At a (stupid) Walmart - I hate Walmart - I see a family of them walking to the door while I am, get to the automatic door at the same time, yes I want them to go first if for no other reason than being able to see them. They may perceive it as politeness and that’s fine, but it’s me being a little more wary than if it was a group of rough looking youths…just a little more. I’d not turn around and leave for another store because I saw them, but will observe them more than most others.

The Muslims I live nearby mostly keep to themselves, but you simply cannot avoid all interactions with them unless you make it a focal point of your day-to-day life to do so. To me, that’s pretty ridiculous.

Like most other situations, you have to use more information than simple appearance to make a threat assessment.

@twojarslave @s_afsoc

I think where this sentiment comes from in a bunch of military members is combat. When you have to close with and kill an enemy and watch them kill your buds, it’s hard to give those people (or those similar to them) the benefit of the doubt when you get home.

They aren’t exactly experiencing the best that the Middle East has to offer in Fallujah or Sadr City.

This isnt new. WW2 vets had no love for “Japs” or “Krauts” after the war was over. I know a few Nam vets who still refer to the NVA as “gooks”.

Are all Muslims blood thirsty caliphate wackos? Nope. Probably less than 1%. But those 1% are a really big PITA for the entire world.

Maybe try equal opportunity suspicion with your awareness training. The wife and I try to people watch to train awareness. We assume that everyone we see could be a potential threat. Say things like “how could that guy kill us right now? What would we do if he tried?.. go!”

I like this!

Thought for the day:

At his best, man is the noblest of all animals; separated from law and justice he is the worst.”
-Aristotle

Last week, I was asked by a MT instructor to fill in for him while he was on leave for a basic MT class he had just started at the community center at the Embassy. He told me it was their third class and just work them on basic punch/ kick drills. I said I would, if I wasn’t called out for something. Anyway, arrived on location and noticed the class was made up of, (being professional here) non-tactical personnel. The class was ok, but, severely limited due to their lack of physical fitness.

As I was packing my bag and arranging my gun belt, a guy came over and said” you carry a gun everywhere, even here on the Embassy? I thought he was being a dickhead, but, I could see he was sincere. Yes, I do. This Embassy is a prime target and have you noticed the T-walls surrounding this place, they are there for a reason. Plus, by foot, I am about a half mile from my hooch, not good if the bad guys come over the wall. I could tell he didn’t believe me, but, passed it off as a typical state department employee.

Then he surprised me by saying, “I want to get a handgun and my CCW when I get back, but, my wife won’t let me”. Curious, I said, why? Oh, you know, she is afraid of guns”. Really, do you have kids? Yes, one 3 year old girl. So, who is protecting her now? Your wife? No, we have an alarm system and she can call the police. Mmmmmmmm, ok.

I point this out because, his answer to protecting his family was to lay the responsibility off on someone else. I don’t how many times I have heard similar answers as this. It seems, that self-reliance and protection are negated for relationship bliss. If you are in a relationship where your partner, no matter the arrangement, is forcing you to compromise your survival, then you have some serious thinking to do. The only one that can fight for you, is you. The parents of a child are duty bound to die for that child. Don’t let well-meaning ignorance lead to your death.

Here is Mike Pannone’s view on this issue:

What are you willing to do to protect your loved ones?

I was helping a good friend teach a group of mostly women from his prosecutor’s office and a woman who is an avid long distance runner and spends a lot of time training mentioned she carries “sometimes”. My response was “why sometimes and not all the time?” She said if she was out with her kids she would carry to protect them but didn’t carry when she was by herself. That led to a little discussion as we waited for the break to end and in a nutshell here it is.

If someone were maliciously about to do something that would grievously injure virtually everyone that you know and love especially your immediate family

…and if it that injury was painful beyond words and lasted until the day they died?

…and if nothing either doctor or hospital could do to heal them?

…what would you be willing to do to stop them?

If someone beats, rapes, or murders you, you alone feel the physical pain but the anguish is shared by everyone you love for their lifetime. If you are killed your children will always wonder what life would be like if mom were there or cry at their weddings because you were not there to share the joy. Your husband would wonder what that dream vacation with the kids would have been like or how you would have grown old together and spoiled the grandkids. Your family would mourn silently every time there was a gathering with the most obvious presence being your absence.

So if it is a way to explain to a friend or family member why you carry, why you train so much and why they should, then enlighten them. Explain to them that you carry to protect yourself and by doing so the emotions of everyone that your life touches in a significant way if you were prematurely taken. Imagine all the pain you could save by successfully fending off an attack? Remember as well the person trying to deprive you of your life and by doing so injure all those you hold dear brought it to you! Turn it around on him, turn fear into anger and fight with the savagery of a lion. He might have started the clock but you stop it! Do not be afraid to do whatever it takes to stop the attacker, to protect yourself and by default your loved ones. You owe it to your family and friends. Be loyal and steadfast and defend yourself with courage and righteous indignation just as you would them if they were there with you.

In the immediacy you will fight for your life alone but in your actions you hold the emotional weight of many potentially injured souls…those that love you. Remember, nobody is more concerned for the wellbeing of you and yours than you!! If that fateful day comes it is your responsibility to be prepared in advance physically and emotionally and be equipped and trained properly.

What am I willing to do to protect my loved ones? Whatever it takes!

3 Likes

Thought for the day:

What is in your kit?

EDC

What is your everyday carry (EDC)? When I am in the states, I carry an “active shooter kit” because I live a rural area where LEO response is around 20 minutes. That is way too long to hope for any kind of backup except in the most extreme circumstances. One of the most important items in your kit should be a fluorescent orange or green vest, with a “security tag” or some type identification, even “traffic” is better than nothing.

Picture this scenario:

You decide to pick up your child from elementary school at the end of the school day and as you pull up in front of the building, you hear gunshots from within the building, a parent’s worst nightmare. An active shooter inside a building with your child. You respond with whatever weapon you are carrying and go; you have no choice but to enter.

Now, as you rush to find your child, weapon in hand, what does a witness or victim see? A person with a gun. How do they know you are not the shooter? How does responding LEO’s know? You have to identify yourself clearly or the first responders are going to assume you are one of the bad guys. This is a highly stressful and emotional call for LEO’s, every minute not there is another kid dead, so, they will be coming in hot. Think about it.

I carry a vest in my kit and one in my front seat, because me waving a badge around will not be good enough and besides, it breaks my ability to move and shoot, if I am worried about being shot by the good guys. Yes, it will make you stand out, but, it’s better than the alternative.

Note: The AK-47 and its variants are the most used assault rifles in the world, with an estimated 100 million in use. I know the AK has a lot of enthusiasts in the United States, with many customizing the rifle, competitions, and even a magazine devoted to nothing but the AK. IMHO, it is doubly important for people who chose the AK for their kit, to especially take every means to identify yourself as a good guy.

The US has been at war for 16 years; there is a very good chance that one of the responding LEO’s has military / combat experience. Now, I am writing this from a personal perspective, but, if I pull up on an active shooter scene and see someone armed with an AK, guess what? I have already labeled you a terrorist and work my way back from there. No matter what you think about your AK system, it is the face of terrorism. No, that is not right, but, that’s the way it is. Get a vest.

As a person living in Canada I’m always dumbfounded that anybody in the States doesn’t carry where they are allowed to. When I kit down and lock up my pistol at the end of shift I instantly feel naked.

The idea that I, as a trained professional sheepdog could roll up on something where that training could make all the difference and be able to do nothing is supremely frustrating.

That anyone in the US would choose to put themselves in this situation is simply beyond me. Even more so CCW holders who carry “sometimes”. You know when you know you’re gonna be in a gunfight? If you’re lucky a second or two before the shooting starts.

That said, a huge pet peeve of mine is gun owners who think that their firearm is the be all end all solution for violence-related problems. ‘I don’t need that martial arts crap. I’ll spend my training time at the range’. This is incredibly naive, imho. It presumes that a.) every inter-personal conflict you find yourself in will call for a lethal force response and, b.) you will always be able to access and draw your firearm and put rounds on target in time. Neither a.) nor b.) is true even most of the time, let alone every time.

/rant.

1 Like

I can’t agree more with this. If there us even the slightest chance that other civilians around me are carrying, than I sure as shit will be keeping the odds even.

WHYYYY would anyone be so naive as to go unarmed when there’s the option to be armed?!!
Sure there’s a ton of reasons people give, but none are logically sound.

An embarrassing confession here: I was in a coffee shop and my pistol got out from under my cover garment and was seen by another customer who was surprised enough that they called LE.
So there I was sitting down having my coffee and pastry & a cop walks in, speaks to the manager, then heads to my table asking if I’m carrying a gun. My response was off the cuff, “Yes sir, why wouldn’t I be carrying?”
He asked to see my CHL, so I asked if it was ok to reach for my wallet, retrieved it, presented the CHL and he tells me wat happened to bring him there. Fortunately it wasn’t a no carry (sitting duck) zone and management didn’t care, so no problem with that.
Point is, I had to wonder aloud why I wouldn’t be carrying.

I too feel naked if unarmed.

As to the thought of the day, great one!
I need to get a label of some sort for the vest I carry in the car. It’s one that you just pull over your head so is quick enough.

@Idaho: For a civilian, what label would u recommend for this? I’m thinking “Security” but would like to hear what you think,