The Tactical Life

Watched a dude on a survival show trying this and his shaft hand was blistered. Can’t recall if he got fire, but torn flesh while living without medical - no good.

No, that is not good. I used a heavy leather glove and still had limited success. Happy new year.

Thought for the day:

To all the families that lost love ones this year, I hope 2022 brings you some type of closure and peace.

Happy New Year to you also.

Stay safe all of you First Responders.

Thought for the day:

The reason ambushes are so deadly is that they exploit the reactionary gap by effectively omitting it. This is especially effective when you are in the confined space of a vehicle. Done properly on a vehicle, it will be over in a matter of seconds and if they survive it is luck and bad threat marksmanship/the threat not pressing the attack (look at the 2LASD Deputies shot by the LA train station) . The truth is that there is very little if anything that can consistently and effectively be done to counter it when the ambush is done properly. This is not being defeatist; this is just being realistic and using the training time wisely. The reason that ambushes are so successful , especially against a vehicle, is because of the targets lack of mobility. They are tremendously effective and very safe for the ambusher

Thought for the day:

**Marine Corps Martial Arts Program

marine

They say “every Marine is a rifleman,” but every Marine is also trained in hand-to-hand combat, in case it’s ever needed. The Marine Corps Martial Arts Program, or MCMAP, is a military martial arts system developed by the United States Marine Corps specifically for Marines. The system strongly resembles modern MMA and is an amalgamation of 17 different martial arts systems, including Brazilian jiujitsu, Muay Thai, and even traditional wrestling. MCMAP features a ranking system of five belts and an additional category of belts for instructors. MCMAP also instructs Marines on methods of fighting with knives and other weapons of opportunity they may find in their environment.

I was going to put a witty (in my mind) reply that I bet the M1 with bayonet, was a more trusted CQC implement than today’s M4. Instead found an interesting article.

South Pacific Shootout: M1903 Springfield vs. M1 Garand - SWAT Survival | Weapons | Tactics

Thank you for posting, a really good article.

Thought for the day:

Sometimes you have to think outside the box:

cat

during the Battle of Pelusium— the first major battle between the First Persian Empire and Egypt.

Polyaenus, a 2nd-century Greek author, wrote that one of the strategies that the Persian warriors used was taking advantage of their knowledge that Egyptians had high regard for animals, especially cats. Egyptians believed that cats were magical creatures that could bring good luck and would often dress them in jewelry. They even had a feline goddess named Bastet whom they worshipped. Now that the Persian army knew this, they brought with them these sacred animals in front of them and let the Egyptian know about it. The Egyptians refused to shoot their arrows in fear of hurting the animals. Although there were some arguments that Polyaenus exaggerated things regarding the use of cats during this battle.

Thought for the day:

From CT Solutions. Well said.

Skill is understanding, not dogmatic adherence.
A rigid and dogmatic approach to technique selection leads to one place …using the wrong technique in the wrong manner at the wrong time and probably feeling good about it… right up until it fails.

First, ADHERENCE TO ESTABLISHED AND PROVEN SUCCESSFUL PRINCIPLES OF ANY SYSTEM IS NOT DOGMATIC.

What is dogmatic is the rote adherence and application of techniques regardless of the specifics of the situation. A dogmatic approach to anything lends itself to poor application of skills and thereby degraded effectiveness or potential failure. Too many in the firearms training world have either a dogmatic approach to a task or a desire for one answer that is considered “the best way” all while there are similar alternatives that work better under different conditions (although some techniques are just a bad idea). This is often done while ignoring the situation it is being applied to. “The situation dictates” is a military mantra for a reason. This is where the scenario becomes the context, and that scenario can validate or invalidate any otherwise widely held technique or approach. Any rigid adherence to one specific technique while disregarding changing application requirements demonstrates a lack of adaptable knowledge. If your approach to a problem that can manifest itself in an inconsistent manner is to search for one solution that you can memorize to simplify execution, then you don’t truly understand creative problem solving. Knowledge that is not understood properly is not adaptable and lends itself to rigidity of thought. The goal is not to look for the best generic solution, but to look for the best solution for the task as it exists. That only comes from a foundation of skills and knowledge that are adaptable and well understood.

You can mount a bayonet on an M4. The question is whether you will be issued a bayonet. I remember when a sgt was asked if he had ever used his M9 while deployed and he answered, “not to shoot someone.”

Thought for the day

km

Krav Maga

During the mid-to-late 1930s, antisemitic rioters in Slovakia (then Czechoslovakia) threatened the lives of Jews in the city of Bratislava. A local martial artist named Emrich “Imi” Lichtenfeld gathered up a group of boxers and wrestlers and defended the locals from the thugs. This experience made Lichentenfeld realize the importance of self-defense and the impracticality of “sport” fighting in real-life situations. Over the next several years, he developed a “realistic” combat system known as Krav Maga that he would later teach to the Israeli army. The skill became the nation’s primary method of hand-to-hand combat.

Krav Maga features a slew of techniques from various martial arts that have been altered and adapted to be effective in “street fights” and life-or-death situations. Krav Maga as a system focuses on fighting quickly with high degrees of aggression and violence. Emphasis is placed on rapidly attacking vulnerable spots on the opponent’s body to maim and potentially kill if necessary.

Thought for the day:

Someone sent me this yesterday. I guess, thinking outside the box doesn’t apply here, but, you would have to think inside the box:

Do you believe Krav Maga taught in the manner it is overseas is legit? Or is it another one of those mcdojo scenarios?

As with all martial arts, it depends on the instructor and his lineage. I have trained,( briefly) at U.S. schools that was nothing but watered down techniques for the masses. It reminded me of P-90 X aerobics with a few punches. I have trained at other schools that were hard core and taught the original concepts. As with everything else we deal with it is “buyer beware”. One comment to listen for from an instructor being interviewed is “KM is deadly, works all the time on the street”. Pure bullshit, avoid that instructor like he has raging COVID-19.

As far as your original question, in my limited experience training outside the U.S, if is more legit than the norm.

1 Like

Thought for the day:

ecstasy

Scum dopers are distributing ecstasy in the shape of Mickey Mouse candy. If you have school age children, warn them of this filth.

These have been around for a long time… at the very least ever since I was around 17. Not necessarily the shape of mickey mouse, but the candy looking ecstacy tablets.

To note, I never took them. Just saw them a lot at clubs and house parties when I was in senior year. I wouldn’t worry about kids taking them, they aren’t marketed towards kids. They’re relatively non-addictive thus there would be little incentive to push them on children.

hadn’t heard of this variant. Worse than the Omnivore Covid?

Just wait until we have the next variant… deltacron… omicron/delta hybrid

Thought for the day:

red