The Tactical Life

Awesome info, thank you! I’ve been cleaning regularly but after reading your post will be sure to oil after each use, definitely want to keep it in top shape after investing a good bit in it.

Makes sense, I’d rather do that than buy a cheaper one only to want to switch it out later. Thanks again!

The frame rails are where it needs extra oil, or better yet grease.

The p226 I owned was in .357 sig, which is a great round, but expensive, and in an actual defensive encounter I’m not sure it offers any advantage over 9mm. If my P226 had been a 9mm I probably would have held onto it.

1 Like

This is the best I’ve found. You can get it in prefillef syringes as well. I put it on my slide rails and a few other spots on the1911’s…

EEEEC3D7-2223-47EC-B667-6E5A267FAF61

1 Like

Just a comment: the terminal ballistics for 357 Sig outmatch a 9mm. Personally it’d be the smallest round I’d carry for SD, but I’m an archaic 45 guy and refuse to buy polymer guns. Many are great duty guns, go bang pretty reliably, and will hold up to a lot of abuse. Just typically not accurate enough for ME out to 50 yards, and I like to push the envelope on distances with any firearm I use.

Anyway, 357Sig has as much energy as I’d require…not 9mm. Frankly I hate 9mm cause the military replaced my 45 with a damn Beretta M9 way back when & I’m still pissed about it.

Granted, many PD’s and most FBI guys use @mm now, and did studies that support the choice. I personally think they made the call more on cost per round than anything. In the end though, shot placement under stress wins the fight. Even a well placed .22 can stop a fight. I just prefer using the largest caliber I can shoot and carry well = 1911 in 45 ACP. Whatever we carry is what we need to train with…

Peace gents!

.45 ACP is a great round. If the cost was not a factor, and the size of the gun was not a factor, it’s what I would carry, or at least use for home defense. Where .357 Sig outshines 9mm is in barrier penetration, like auto glass and car doors. But since I’m not in law enforcement, and just about any legitimate defensive encounter isn’t going to involve me shooting at a car that isn’t a factor. As far as penetration, the 124 grain +p’s will penetrate over 18" of ballistics gel, so it’s good enough for personal defense. But it’s all about choosing where you want to compromise.

Yessir absolutely right - civilian self-defense eventually boils down to personal preference and budget constraints :smile:
MY personal preference is Hornady Critical Duty in 45, with similar penetration at a 0.5” wound channel. I care about barrier penetration in case someone (stupid) tried to carjack me - can shoot right through the door, and where I live has cold winters where a lot of people wear thick leather jackets - same thing regarding round penetration.
Just did buy some Winchester PDX just to see how my guns like it too. A solid performer minus the barrier penetration of Critical Duty.

This has been a pretty fantastic read over the last couple days. Glad I found it as it’s given me quite a bit to think about. Thanks everyone for the stories and knowledge.

I’ve got an M&P 15 chambered in .22lr with a Vortex Sparc II on the way. Mostly intended as a low cost trainer that approximates my patrol carbine. I’ve read good reviews of both. Hoping it stands up.

@mixicus @idaho @s_afsoc thanks for the replies on the mag pouches.

SOP states that you can’t carry/ wear any kit that isn’t issued and the only knife you can carry is a multitool. We are also supposed to wear our forage caps or stetsons when we’re out on foot and technically we are supposed to do up our top shirt button and wear ties in winter. I would say we have less than 100% compliance.

I’ve not seen many guys running open tops outside of plainclothes and tactical units, although one guy on my shift has an open top hard pouch for his carbine mag which he a tac guy gifted him. I’ve also heard of guys just tucking their snap flaps behind and going open that way (seems like a bad idea).

A lot of more tactically minded guys seem to be running velcro flaps as opposed to snap tops for pistol mag pouches. Velcro seems easier to manage than snaps and still keeps things covered. This seems like a possible compromise that wouldn’t draw too much attention.

Dunno what I’ll try yet, but I am definitely not a fan of the snaps.

batman730

If I had to run closed top mag pistol mag pouches again, I’d stay with snaps over velcro. Once a snap is disengaged, the strap is flapping in the breeze. Velcro can reattach. So if you miss your mag draw stroke, a velcro strap may re-attach causing some heartache. For carbine mags, a bungie top that you slide out of the way works well. Again less likely to re-attach than a velcro

Good point.

Edit: I’m really considering just running open tops and seeing if anyone says anything. Better to ask forgiveness than permission and all.

I wonder if you can get open tops that have a magnet in the bottom. I’m clueless, just using my imagination at the moment.

Rail mounted light on a pistol recommends and reviews requested by anyone who uses one :).

Sure I can research online, but am interested in real life experiences.

The new Sig I just bought has the rail just begging for a light…of course if/when I attach one it’ll immediately require a new holster. But I’ve not made my mind up on this yet since I’m in no official capacity where it’d be required. As it stands, it’s be a nicety only.

Thanks Gents

I just mounted a Streamlight TRL-3 on my HK P30L. To me it is the perfect amount of light, and doesn’t stick out past the barrel. There are two important things here: I don’t want a light that’s so bright that the glare that bounces off a white wall jacks up my vision, and if a light sticks out a great deal farther than the muzzle the lense can get mucked up if you shoot a lot, and I want to shoot a lot.

I want to take the light and pistol to my range and do some night shooting to see how well it holds up, but the reviews are excellent, and I own and use a lot of different streamlight products at work and at home and have a well earned faith in them.

To go with your Sig 1911, you probably want to look at a Streamlight TLR-1. The TLR-3 has a polymer frame, and I know polymer makes you ill, where as the 1 is all metal. Also you can get the older TLR-1 that is only around 300 lumens, as opposed to the HL “high lumen” model that is like 800 lumens, which is, in my opinion too bright for indoor use.

I’m pretty sure Streamlight is an American company that makes it’s products in China. For all American made, you could look at Surefire, but those are expensive, and for a first light I’d go with Streamlight to get a feel for what you like.

I run a Surefire X300 with the DG switch (pressure switch on the front strap of the grip) on a Glock. It’s been good to me for many years despite 10’s of 1,00s of rounds over it and hitting something solid every so often.

The Streamlight TLR products seem to work. Not sure how they handle abuse since the couple of guys with them aren’t… ummm…high use individuals.

Since this is a duty weapon which I’m just as likely to run outdoors as indoors, I prefer the higher light output. It makes a difference illuminating a yard, park, car, etc at night. I haven’t had an issue using it indoors.

I wouldn’t stray too far from these two brands. I’ve see some others eat themselves with out much effort.

What I’ve heard elsewhere reflects those two brands, Surefire & Streamlight. Best I can tell 1911 custom shops who sell attached lights use surefire (NightHawk Custom for example), and some fellas I know have recommended streamlight.
Personally think I’d prefer the 800L for nearly the same reasons - light shit up well in urban setting if needed. The Sig is my secondary anyway, so if I draw it shits probably gonna be bad.

Need to decide on backup and hideout pieces after this too…Thinking S&W 357 & 38 respectively, but may go 44Spl for the backup.

Thx for the input guys!

I was going back and forth between calibers, but ultimately chose 9mm as we’re trying to minimize penetration, and doesn’t hurt that it’s a more affordable round. I went with the “Enhanced Elite” model, primarily for the SRT and E2 grips, and also got a great deal on factory new for $850. I have small hands so the E2 grips are perfect for me, even the G10s on the Legion are too big. Seller offered me a Legion at a very solid price for not much more than the Elite, but I would have had to change the grips on it which apparently is the 8th deadly sin.

Hi Gents:

A quick plug for clingerholsters customer service.
Have used their “Wonder No Print” IWB on primary side for several months, but hardware kept falling out. Last time I emailed a gripe. They asked for and got a pic. Said it was a manufacturing process problem and they were quick to offer, manufacture and ship a free replacement.
The holster is the best for concealment I’ve used. Keeps the grips pulled close and I could use a fairly tight tee for a cover garment if I wanted.
Anyway, customer service from www.clingerholsters.com is outstanding. Prices are pretty good as well.

Just received an AlienGear “Cloak Tuck” for the Sig and it’s ok but not as fitting as a clingerholster. Just happened that was where I found a reasonably priced LH RWB to fit a railed 1911. It’ll do but wush clingerholsters had one to fit the Sig.

1 Like

Thought for the day:

Great warriors are those whose humility is their breastplate. Without fear, they advance. By conquering the vices, They find that they have also conquered the whole world. This is the Law: The purpose of fighting is to win. There is no possible victory in defense. The sword is more important than the shield and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental. (John Steinbeck)

1 Like

Wednesday’s Weapon: Soviet PPSH-41

Kandahar Airfield:circa 2013

Picked up on a weapons seizure. A true Nazi killer if there was ever was one. Wish it could talk.

2 Likes