The Tactical Life

*Thought for the day:

3 active shootings this week. Prepare yourself to be the best you can be.

stop the bled

Check out the ^^^^^^^^post. Take this seriously, it can happen anytime, any where.

Thought for the day (1):

As I have written before, knife attacks are fast and brutal. Use every situational sense you have, especially if you are going to intervene in a domestic. Never stop watching the hands.

Thought for the day (2) :

It’s Friday, wear a little red and support everyone deployed.

red

*Thought for the day:

blauer

BECAUSE NO ONE LOOKS COOL DURING A TRULY VIOLENT ENCOUNTER (ESPECIALLY AN AMBUSH), HERE’S WHY:

If the attack has triggered the ‘amygdala hijack’, then complex motor skill sequences are out the window (for the moment).

Everyone is scrambling to survive.

The limbic system and reactive brain are running the show.
Our system is tied to our genetic survival response which is hard-wired into every one of us.

It’s Science vs Art. (Which is why you don’t see “art” in the street.)

I’ve been reading Marc MacYoung’s and Jenna Meek’s (his co-author, don’t know much about her) What You Don’t Know Can Kill You. They spend a great deal of time talking about this very problem and ways to build it into your self-defense training and philosophy, and also tricks for trying to shake yourself out of the “amydgala hijack.” The book could have used some more careful editing before going to press, but it’s definitely worth a read.

Thank you, I will check out the book.

Thought for the day:

The Government Training Institute (GTI), located in Barnwell, SC. Is one of the premier training facilities in the United States. A decommissioned nuclear facility, it offers a wide variety of CQB training structures and excellent instructors. This is one of the prime locations for the Tactical Athlete Games. Due to work, I was not able to go this year and thought I post a couple of clips of the competition this weekend.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CUUs8h3FyrJ/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CUR7-eNpDPm/

I know a couple of weeks have now passed, but I was just digging through my inbox and realized I’d gotten this email from Dan John. I get a weekly “newsletter” type of thing from him. I thought it was well written. Sort of what we were talking about.

The twentieth anniversaries of World War II confused me a bit as a kid. I was eight or so when the V-E and V-J celebrations happened and, like most kids, I didn’t understand the gravity or the nuances of such events. I had a simple view of things; I didn’t understand the costs, in human life, strife, and toil as well as the economic destruction, hell, I didn’t know that the different parts of the war ended at different times.

The impact of WWII was heavy in my neighborhood. We had men with steel limbs and others who were never “right” after their experiences. All my friends’ parents had been impacted personally by the war.

I never know how to talk about 9/11. It’s become, like JFK’s assassination, a conspiracy hotspot and the source of division for many people. Many of us have our stories. I was at a high school football game on Friday night and I realized that most of people there, every single student and maybe some of the younger staff, have no actual memory of these events.

They hear the stories, but like me with WWII, they might not appreciate them.

The week after 9/11, I hosted a Congress with about 2000 people. My favorite memories of this time are the volunteerism that seemed to reignite. As an organizer, I didn’t have to ask to get help to move tables, chairs or whatever. In fact, it was almost overwhelming how many people stepped up and stepped in to do every little duty or chore.

The facility glowed when we left; there wasn’t a scrap of litter nor a filled garbage can. The floors glowed with sweeping and mopping. I attended church services of several denominations that week, both as a person of faith and as a representative of my church, and the seats were all full, the aisles crowded.

That’s what I remember best. The lines for blood donations went around the block here in Murray. People wanted to serve. People wanted to help.

People were united.

And so, another calendar page turns and we move along. That’s the way of life. But we still need to remember.

Thank you for posting this. Dan John has always been one of my favorite authors. Much appreciated.

Thought for the day: Always be aware. Share this attack with your family.

Atlanta police have issued a warning to be on alert and beware of a man delivering flowers. A woman said the man is a fake, and he showed up at her home to attack her.

The victim’s surveillance video system captured the crime. In the video posted to social media, the attacker can be seen carrying a large bouquet of flowers and bringing them to the woman’s door on xxxxx Lane.

The victim told us by phone that the man came up to her door, said her first name and said he was delivering the flowers for her. When she opened the door, she said he used a Taser on her. She immediately yelled for her sons to come downstairs and that’s when he ran off.

Neighbors said they probably would’ve opened the door too, but they won’t chance it anymore. They’ll ask delivery people to just leave things on their porch steps instead.

Good advice.

1 Like

Serious thought.

I wonder if the only solution to these ambush attacks is for a bunch of them to get killed in their activity? I don’t pretend that the world hasn’t always had a dangerous side. But that used (seemed) to be for those trapped in miserable surroundings (hood) or those visiting dangerous locales (seedy bars, cruising late nights).

Now the 24/7 news makes it feel that going to the store or opening your own door, is an exercise in self preservation.

So far I have just been a silent follower of the thread.

I don’t know how it is where you live, but in the UK, a lot of these things got way out of hand since lockdown, or before this it just wasn’t as mentioned in the media. Since lockdown, the amount of people disappearing and turning up dead skyrocketed compared to what I seen prior. Although not as dangerous or serious, but the amount of phone scammers is also higher.

I wonder about what’s the cause and what’s the reason here though. Whether it is just more visible because people had nothing to do and noticed things, whether the time and freedom lockdown gave to these people who do these things increased their activities.

But you are right, over the past years the world is appearing to be a lot more dangerous than before.

I wish, but, self defense is rife with legal battles and the majority of people are simply to meek to fight that battle. I decided a long time ago, after being hit with a taser in training. If you try to shoot me with one, I will consider that deadly force and take the necessary action.

I was having a conversation about this the other day with a SWAT commander from a major city. Since we both have similar experiences, he asked me what was the most profound change I had experienced since I started my LEO career. My answer: When I first started a cop got killed primarily in big cities, now, it doesn’t matter where you are, from Chicago to Hardin county Tennessee, you stand a very good chance of dying.

Second: When I first started, killing a local, state, or federal agent was taboo to the criminal world. The unspoken rule was: if you kill one of us, we will hunt you down and kill two of you. There were lines you didn’t cross. Now? No one gives a shit, in fact, the populace now (appears to me) enjoy the death of cops. There are several groups in the US who go on social media and praise cop killers. Since most people live their lives on their electronic devices, this filth is everywhere.

Don’t be, your opinions are welcome here.

Its the same here, I have seen crime skyrocket since I got back from Afghanistan, every aspect as you said. Frankly, I don’t have any answers either, but, if there was ever a time to train hard for the next violent encounter, its now.

2 Likes

I appreciate that. I am happy to take part in discussions where I feel l can add value, but I am certain I can learn more than teach on this thread given I am not a first responder, or military, even though I have some interest in it, as well as generally in being capable of defending myself and those around me.

According to recent studies, domestic violence and similar issues skyrocketed during lockdowns due to a combination of financial stresses from widespread unemployment/housing instability/food insecurity, and overall daily stressors impacting general mental health.

Figure, if those types of relationships were rocky and dangerous in “good” times, what’s going to happen when all this extra stress and isolation gets piled on top of that?

One old saying that’s been in the not-so-back of my mind for the last year and a half or so is the one about society only being nine meals away from anarchy. If not literal, the spirit of that quote has definitely been an eye-opener.

3 Likes

I haven’t seen much in regards to domestic violence but it makes sense. It’s easy to say that those relationships have likely been bad enough to separate before lockdown and were dumb not to do so, but there is so much to discuss on the psychological side of that in regards to the victim’s situation, it’s a whole other topic and not entirely relevant.

That saying definitely stands solid in the current situation, and unfortunately sometimes it actually doesn’t seem as far from literal as one may think.

1 Like

Throw in the doom-scrolling on phones, echo-chambers, dunning kruger effect. Can definitely take a mental toll on a person. Throw in lockdowns, etc. Not a good mix at all.

The mental scars of the pandemic will be seen and grow for years to come I’d suspect.

1 Like

It’s not a matter of “requiring,” but one of it being safer for all involved. One Officer may be totally capable of taking some moron into custody, but said moron may need to be beaten unconscious first. Getting even a resisting person into handcuffs is extremely difficult by oneself; getting someone who is willing to actually fight/assault an officer into handcuffs by oneself without hurting(or at least risking doing so) the guy/girl is pretty much impossible. Then, from the standpoint of Officer safety, there’s the fact that any “fight” an Officer is in is a potential gunfight and involves at least one gun.

1 Like