T Nation

The Tactical Life

My lady and I have started a docuseries on Netflix about 9/11 and the events leading up to it. Pretty informative if anyone cares to watch.

@idaho - I’m 21 years old (born in ‘99, I was almost 2 on 9/11). I’m taking a history of the Middle East class in college right now. The professors were talking about 9/11, where they were, what they remember, etc. My family has been too. My grandma was a high school teacher on a US Army base in Germany for many years, and remembers the total shutdown of her base and no one having any idea what was going on. She would always fly home for summers and Christmas breaks and remembers for a few years after 9/11, people would cheer and applaud when their flights landed safely.

It’s hard for me to imagine what people were feeling when it happened. I can look at it now as a tragedy and feel sympathy for those affected, and respect for the people who worked to save others, but it’s tough for me to feel any different about it than any other large scale violence, you know?

I don’t know, everyone who was an adult when I was a kid can clearly remember the day, and I just can’t relate to the feeling.

(I’m not trying to detract from the solemnness of it, just noting the generational gap and the feelings that go along with it.)

I do understand and thank you for a very thoughtful post. You can only really relate to something that happens during your life time. I once met a WW2 veteran sniper who was kind enough to share details of his campaigns in France, Germany, and Italy. He was a very gifted speaker and his descriptions brought me along on his missions. However, where he would get emotional about his losses in battle, I could understand, but, not feel the same as he did, since I didn’t live the moment.

Thought for the day:

Moving on from yesterday. I went to a local 9/11 ceremony held at the county high school football field. I live in a semi rural county so the make up of the crowd was mainly military , LEO’s, and fire fighters and their families. Several ROTC units from the high schools and colleges were also present. The National Anthem was sang by the high school drama teacher and prayers were said by a local minister. Most of the children were wearing summer shorts or shirts with the American flag. The police and fire vehicles were all flying flags, along with about half of the private vehicles parked around the field. God Bless America.

To me, firefighter Gary Box shows us what it means to be a American hero. When his firetruck was stuck in traffic trying to get to the twin towers, he got out and starting running toward the towers. He was killed that day and his body never recovered.

Never forget, Never forgive.

box

From the standpoint of a singular terrorist attack, 9/11 to my knowledge ranks as the deadliest. The sheer brutality, level of sophisticated orchestration behind the attacks also gets to me.

What was the point of the whole ordeal? Such senseless death mediated by the extremist ramblings of a group hell bent on sending society back into the stone ages…

The 9/11 attacks killed nearly 3,000 people and injured nearly 10,000. As far as terrorist attacks go, it doesn’t get worse than that

The woke crowd can never give me a good answer for this… Why is it that the VAST majority of terrorist attacks worldwide pertain to islamic extremism? Have you looked into surveys pertaining to the views held within purportedly secular islamic communities? The results tend to be quite shocking

To note, I’m not against Islam, rather I believe the religion needs to undergo a degree of reform that mainstream sects of Christianity/Judaism have undergone as to become compatible with western society. I’d rather judge someone on the basis of their character as opposed to race, religious affiliation or sexual orientation.

If the woke are all about protecting minorities… where are the Jews in this equation? We make up 0.2% of the population, Islam makes up nearly 1/4th of the worlds population… yet universities and the youth over here seem to bend over backwards for the islamic crowd.

We always seem to be an acceptable scapegoat, a demographic to hate without incurring scrutiny.

1 Like

*Thought for the day:

And to those out there that might be foolish enough to ask why we shot him so many times, the answer is simple: evil can never be dead enough."

Thought for the day:

Went back and reread some CQB books about training methods taught during WW11. Thought the martials artists here would be interested in these terms:

wwwiii

What would you like? The Japanese Strangle, the Rock-Crusher, or the Grape Vine?

These exotic names are only a few of the holds and blows agents perfected in their unarmed combat classes.

Other blows they studied were hand-knife strikes, open-hand chin-jabs, fingertip-jabs, boxing blows, kicks, knee strikes, and head and elbow strikes.

As for the best places to hit, the back of the neck was the prime cut. Anything from the nose to the base of the throat was a good target. Either side of the head and throat would work as well. And kidney-blows always yielded tasty results.

Along with these, they practiced in attacking armed and unarmed sentries, spinal dislocations, releases from holds, disarming an enemy with a firearm, defending against a rifle butt or a bayonet, snatching prisoners for interrogation, and searching prisoners — the easiest way, instructors argued, was to kill them first!

Knife fighting was another thing they became masters of. Their staple was the Fairbairn-Sykes double-edged commando knife. They had to perpetually keep them sharp to prevent seizing and to slash effectively.

1 Like

Thought for the day:

You need to ask yourself today: Are you fit to fight? Are you physically fit enough to save your own life? No self lying, no bro bullshit, are you?

’"The warrior athlete doesn’t win or lose, he wins or dies."

Thought for the day?

red

Some good news:

Thought for the day:

If you want to get shit done, then you have to be ruthless in your execution. You’re going to have to move faster, hit harder, and take more punishment that your opponent. Good men have to be dangerous and the best men are savages. No better friend, no worse enemy. ⁠

‘Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.’⁠
- Gen. James “Mad Dog” Mattis

“Are you fit to fight?..save your own life?”

I’m closer to the end of my career than I am to the middle and in that time I’ve been tested. In reflection of this grand experiment: so far, yes. That doesn’t mean I’m not putting in regular work in the gym, on the range, pacing out miles on the road and learning. Honestly, in some stretches not nearly enough. There will always be people stronger, faster or more skilled. There will also be practical physics problems that I may not be able to solve. Each month I strive to mitigate those variables/deficiencies through both physical and mental work.

Very well said, brother. You summed up my thoughts perfectly.

Good morning. Jus found this thread and super stoked to be able to learn and grow from it. First my background jus to say hello. I have been doing martial arts and boxing since 1993. I train some kids that fight competitively and used to run an MMA school. I’ve been in law enforcement for around 10 years. I’m a DT instructor and Firearms instructor. I also teach self defense and Handgun classes for the public. Been around some great operators and instructors and always wanting to learn. Thanks for the great info looking forward to reading more.

1 Like

Welcome, brother. Looking forward to learning from you also.