The Tactical Life

Similar things have been done here. From being hidden in canned vegetables to shampoo to banana pulp… The methods by which people try get shit past the border is never ending.

Sometimes it’ll be hidden in the lining of suitcases! The banana pulp fiasco was the most interesting by far.

Probably not, it’s very difficult to actually impact supply given the sheer volume of product making it past the border. It’s estimated despite the massive busts that constantly happen in Aus, around 90% of cocaine shipments make it through and we have some of the most stringent customs in the world.

Thought for the day:

gun control

Depending on where you get your statistics, between January 2020 and June 2021 , gun ownership increased by 30 million to 40 million, due to the pandemic, riots , and the Biden Administration. Based on the ammo shortages over the past 18 months, I am inclined to go with the higher number. Twice a month, I volunteer at my local gun range as an instructor, covering basic firearms skills, situational awareness while carrying, and knowing the laws of your state of residence.

A lot of first time CCW owners are under false allusions about where you can and cannot carry. Just because you have a permit is NOT the same as having a LEO badge. Know the laws in your state and any state you will be travelling through. NY., CALIF and NJ have some of the most strident laws in the USA, especially NJ. , which has some of the most draconian laws in the nation.

Read the attached article at least twice, check out the web resources and arm yourself with knowledge.

Thought for the day:

If you are around someone bitching about the cost of a gym membership preventing them from working out, then you know they are full of crap.

rucking

Sir, how effective are grappling dummies for training BJJ (particularly submissions) at home @idaho

Having lived there, it’s true. The courts there won’t even take into account common sense when interpreting the laws; you will always be found guilty.

The law is so silly. If you are traveling by car and stay overnight in a state like NJ, do you leave your gun in the car while you stay in a hotel room? I guess that would fall under not readily accessible but what does that even mean? You could still, in theory, walk outside and get it rather easily.

Former Newark mayor Cory Booker said that he wanted to close all of the gun shops in Newark. I guess in his mind criminals, in a state where it’s almost impossible to buy a gun legally, were buying guns legally. That isn’t the best part however. That would be the fact there are no gun shops in Newark.

I think it isn’t even a political thing as much as it’s a regional thing. I know people who would be considered liberal who own guns and people who vote Republican who are against them. Giuliani believed in strict gun control when mayor of NYC. Christie, when he was gov of NJ, was no friend to gun owners. Reagan (a Hollywood weirdo) was for strict gun control.

This is an interesting mode of assault. A man got very badly burnt during an altercation. Usually it is cutting or blunt force, but how often is there a burning?

‘Horrific’: Witness describes fight that ended with man set ablaze | London Free Press (lfpress.com)

Why everyone needs some basic hard-wired self-defense moves. This poor guy (my guess is he’s a bicycle deliveryman) probably never expected anything like this. He seems utterly dazed.

@twojarslave or @zecarlo would probably have a better answer than me, since I use mine mostly for ground and pound, tosses over the shoulder, and rescue drags

It has been my experience interviewing assault victims , the vast majority of people cannot imagine how a violent attack can lead to a catatonic response. Dealing with violence is a combination of training, force of will, and responding back with violence. Unless you have some type of experience in training for violence (martial arts, sparring) you will be just like the victim in the video. Toney Blauer has done years of research on what happens if you encounter a violent attack. Thanks for posting.

I’ve trained with some people who were essentially grappling dummies, but never an actual grappling dummy.

You aren’t going to learn Jiu Jitsu without sparring and real instruction, but there’s probably plenty of drills you can do with it.

As far as specific submissions go, again you won’t get good at it without real sparring and real instruction.

If you’re set on training with a grappling dummy, look up some drills from a credible source and practice. That’s about the best you can do without a coach who knows your strengths and weaknesses to give you specific advice.

1 Like

I wouldn’t get a grappling dummy. Even if, and it’s a big if, it had a positive effect on improving your bjj, you will get bored with it and it will sit in some corner gathering dust.

The things you can work on are extremely limited. You can’t work on anything from your guard. The things you can do from the top, you can probably do with a heavy bag. You’re better off doing solo drills that require no equipment, maybe just a wall for some, and you can find a lot of them on YouTube for free.

The grappling dummy is basically a tool to work on movements but you can do that without a dummy.

1 Like

At 6’ 205 (at the time), I served and deployed with quite a few guys who either couldn’t have carried me out of danger, or would have damn near killed themselves in the process.

Having said that, the fireman’s carry looks cool and noble and whatever, but there are much better and more efficient ways to move your partner. First one being, win the fight first, then you have plenty of time to plan and implement. Unless you’ve learned and practiced the Ranger roll (didn’t even see that until I’d been retired a few years), you aren’t getting another man up on your shoulder in a timely manner. Especially if they are anywhere close to your size, wearing kit, unconscious, etc.

Not to beat a dead horse, but the females in combat thing…

The issue here is that we will hear about every woman who makes it through the gate, but then hear absolutely nothing if she fails miserably, causes drama, whatever. We also won’t hear if she is a legit rock star, but my point is this: (hypothetical) woman makes it into (insert SOF community here). Media firestorm ensues “Female demigod going to show those pesky boys what’s up”. For whatever reason, she fails. Cultural clash, sexual tension/drama, straight up whoring around the team, or just good old fashioned ‘real world ops are nothing like training’ and she can’t hack it (happens to guys all the time). That part will never be mentioned to anyone who makes decisions, and even with (again, hypothetical) a history of women who can’t cut the mustard, the policy will never be amended.

Australia goes in/out of snap lockdowns 24/7. During lockdown I can’t train grappling with a partner, hence wanting a grappling dummy.

I wouldn’t buy one, I’d make one

@twojarslave @zecarlo

I spar (roll) when I have class, but can’t do that when I go home during lockdowns. My father/brother won’t let me practice on them even though I’ve promised there would be no force, it’d be purely technique based.

You should ask your coach what he thinks you should work on at home. He will know better than any of us will.

Imagine if your neighbours see you taking one in from the car…

Preferably a small, female version.

All seriousness, I seem to remember grappling dummies coming up more in the context of judo than BJJ. Makes sense too. Practicing your throws with a bit of weight and shape seems better than practicing in the air. Practicing your escape from the mount with an unwieldy piece of crap that gives you no resistance? I dunno . . .

And no reaction, either. You could never practice a trap-and-roll escape with a grappling dummy because a grappling dummy won’t post its hand to retain mount if you buck it forward with your hips.

I doubt many grappling dummies have skeletons either. You can’t really practice joint attacks without joints. People already train for the tap (not the derangement) all too often, and that’s training with real people.

Thought for the day:

Whatever your profession is, find a place to to either carry or have close by a IFAK. The life you save be be your child’s.

nypd