The Tactical Life

I have a few old 4 & 6 D cell maglites around, which are very hefty, and have updated them with drop in LED replacements from Malkoff devices. They are now bright as hell, so I could blind an attacker first before I beat the shit out of them.

Thought for the day:

What is most important to remember though is that kit is useless without skill, and both are useless without awareness. Seek out reputable training, practice your skills, and cultivate a mindset of relaxed awareness.

Thought for the day:

Rest satisfied with doing well, and leave others to talk of you as they will.

Pythagoras

Anyone here train in the Nauka Fighting System? If so, what are your thoughts?

Thought for the day:

“𝗜𝘁 𝗱𝗼𝗲𝘀 𝗻𝗼 𝗴𝗼𝗼𝗱 𝘁𝗼 𝗯𝗲 𝘀𝘁𝗿𝗼𝗻𝗴 𝗶𝗻 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘄𝗿𝗼𝗻𝗴 𝗲𝘅𝗲𝗿𝗰𝗶𝘀𝗲.” - 𝗟𝗼𝘂𝗶𝗲 𝗦𝗶𝗺𝗺𝗼𝗻𝘀

I always respect anyone who seriously trains. Powerlifters, Olympic lifters, Strongman, CrossFit and “bodybuilders” for the lack of a better word. IMHO, the holy grail for me is being strong and mobile enough to do my job and survive. The point of this comment is this: examine your training and be honest with yourself. If it doesn’t meet your needs and for this comment let’s leave out the time worn “ look good naked” , I do know this, a massive squat or bench press is not worth crap, if you cannot jump up 8 to 12 inches, grab the top of the fence and pull yourself over in full gear, there is a problem.

Also:

fire.PNG

From what little research I have done, this statement about house fires seems to be accurate. An agent lost his house last week and was lucky to get his wife and child out in time. I know there are several firefighters on this thread. I would appreciate you listing your precautions you take in own homes and post on what you do to prevent house fires and especially, your opinion on what tactics you personally take to survive.

A little information:

The reason? Synthetic materials used to build new homes and new furniture burn faster and hotter than natural materials, like the ones found in older homes. The Army Depot Fire Department says it’s vital to create an escape plan with your family, which will get you out of a burning home faster.

Public Information Officer for Rural Metro Fire Department Jeff Bagwell said newer homes burn faster because of materials used to build them. Furniture which is made of pressed wood and glue instead of solid, hardwood, burns much faster and much hotter.

Working smoke detectors, fire extinguishers, sleeping with the doors closed, but the working smoke detectors are huge. Closing the doors is also huge, as even a modern hollow core door will stop the spread of smoke, which is what kills you, and will even survive direct exposure to flames for a surprising long time.

I live in an old house, plaster and lathe walls are excellent at slowing the spread of fire. The fire rating on sheet rock is a lie, because there are seams between individual sheets.

Modern furniture, like sofas and mattresses are essentially made of petroleum products, and burn like petroleum products. They can be treated to be less flammable, but the chemicals used in those treatments are carcinogens themselves. I’ll see if I can find a training video to share.

The “natural room” is a container filled with furniture made from wood and natural fibers.

Thank you for both posts, excellent information for all. Keeping the doors closed for fire prevention is new information for me. I sleep with the door open because my hearing has taken much abuse.

Did not know that, not surprising since I know virtually nothing about construction. Thanks.

Good information, be safe.

Thought for the day:

UT CONSCIENTIAM SEMPER

I have watched this several times. Learn from this short clip. I don’t know if the driver was aware of his enviorment before pulling into the driveway, don’t know if the predators were even visible. Parking a vehicle is one area where you are always vulnerable because of limited visibility. Take a few moments to scan your area the best you can, keep your doors locked, and be ready to hit reverse and exfil.

Maybe I am getting old, but those two predator’s look to around 14 or 15 years old, especially the one about to lose his sweatpants. Violence has no age limit.

Thought for the day (2): Never forget.

The Anniversary of the Battle of Mogadishu

October 3rd, 2020

Everyday marks an anniversary of a significant event in American military history, but today stands out among them.

On this date in 1993, US service members were engaged in what is now known as the Battle of Mogadishu. A joint organization was formed named ” TF Ranger” to deploy to Mogadishu, Somalia in support of a UN-led humanitarian mission. Already having conducted operations for some time, on 3 October they raided the city’s Olympic Hotel in order to capture key leaders of the Aidid Militia.

Unfortunately, during the exfil portion of the raid, a battle ensued which claimed the lives of 18 Americans and wounded another 73. Additionally, CW3 Michael Durant was captured by the Aideed militia. Fortunately, Durant was later repatriated and went on to retire from the 160th.

Of the men killed that day, two would be awarded the Medal of Honor, Delta Operators Gary Gordon and Randy Shughart, for their selfless efforts to protect Durant after his aircraft, callsign Super 64, was shot down.

If you are unfamiliar with the events, one of the best accounts of the battle is contained in the book, “Blackhawk Down” by author Mark Bowden. Much of the information was serialized prior to the book’s publication in the Philadelphia Enquirer. Later this was made into a movie bearing the same name.

Please take a moment to remember these men and their sacrifice.

Additionally, the 75th Ranger Regiment was created on this day in 1984, with the stand up of its 3rd Battalion. Thirty-five years later, the Ranger Regiment boasts boasts five battalions of some of the most elite warriors on the face of our planet.

1 Like

Thought for the day:

I prefer the company of animals more than the company of humans. Certainly, a wild animal is cruel. But to be merciless is the privilege of civilized humans. = Freud.

I have mentioned human trafficking a couple times here. If you are on this thread or occasionally view this thread, I am asking that you educate yourself on being tactically aware in recognizing the indicators of human trafficking. It doesn’t matter if you live in Cambridge or the Congo, it exists in your area.

trafficking

slave

It looks like some ornamental plants create a blind side on the direction they came from.

That particular thing–big ornamental plant beds at the corners/ends of roads, driveways and stuff is a big personal pet peev of mine.

I agree. Have you noticed that kids, dogs, squirrels and idiots, seem to jump out of these blind spots, just as you try to make a turn? Talk about being aware of your environment.

Haha! Yes! :joy:

That’s my main source of ire in those situations. I really don’t want to be the guy that mashed Sparky.

Thought for the day:

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake. Napoleon Bonaparte

knives

A student yesterday during a range break decided to show me his latest carry knife. It was a very expensive folder with a “thumb release” “flick open the blade type movement, with a safety switch on the side of the handle, emergency seat belt cutter, and window knocker on the rear of the handle. The only thing it didn’t have was a folding bottle opener. Now, I could tell he was proud of his knife and I am not the type of person to slam someone else’s choice in self defense tools. The only thing I said was “that is a beautiful blade, just make sure you practice on getting that thing into action.”

I am certainly no expert, but, I have trained in Kali and Krav Maga for years and one of the first things you learn is getting folders into action during a stressful situation is extremely hard to do. If you decide to carry a knife for back up or defense, make it a fixed blade. Much, much faster to get into action and doesn’t require the dexterity to use.

Never, ever carry a knife without checking the local city, county, state and federal laws. Carrying a knife is tricky under the best legal circumstances and knife laws are ambiguous and confusing. One large metro city considers any knife blade over 2.5 inches as carrying a concealed weapon. I am not aware of and certainly in my state, any concealed pistol license covering carrying a knife. Check your state laws.

Some more information:

First and foremost, if you’re going to carry any weapon, please make certain you are aware of the local laws pertaining to where you live, and stay current, especially if you travel frequently.

One of the main things you need to be aware of when carrying a knife is its purpose. As a general rule of thumb, most subject matter experts in self-defense will agree that a folder is not a viable offensive/defensive weapon for a variety of reasons such as like the inability to open it under stress, a high probability of dropping it in a scuffle, and fine motor skills going bye-bye when the adrenaline hits. However, that’s not so say you shouldn’t have a folder to use for day-to-day things such as packages, rope, string, etc. If that knife is part if the defensive EDC routine, it should be a fixed blade, period.

CONSIDERATIONS

Fixed Blade

Self defense and subject matter experts typically agrees that a folder is basically a knife broken in half. Also, aside from Emerson Knives, folders rarely come in trainer versions, which is an issue when putting in the reps deploying and using the weapon to wire it in as practiced skill. Odds are, if you’re pulling your knife, things are already going bad and quick. As referenced, if you’re reading this, you probably carry a firearm, and a knife serves as a backup or as a step in an escalation of force continuum. Moreover, many folders on the market do not have trainer versions available, you’re forced to train with a live blade at all times.

Comfort

Make sure the knife is comfortable for you, the sheath fits well, and most importantly, you can access it quickly and without much effort. You should consider how it fits in your hand, of course, but also how it feels against your body in the position you’ll be wearing it in. When looking at how it fits in your hand, consider texturing, the size of the grip, the balance or “feel of it” and blade length. You likely don’t need anything with more than a 3-4 inch blade for a EDC defensive application. Blade length concerns are double important considering the legally permitted length in your state and city.

Retention

• Whatever you choose, the knife should have some type of active or passive retention to stop it from falling out. The belt clip (or however it is secured) should also be able to stand up to a violent draw stroke. The knife should barely move when it’s in both the sheath and clipped to your belt/boot/daily kit.*

Concealability

Like a firearm, you don’t want everybody in Target knowing you have a weapon on you; Surprise is half the battle. Akin to the grip frame on a pistol, you’ll want to skirt the line between comfortable enough to use in your hand, and small enough not to print excessively. As Doug Marcaida, knife expert, hauntingly puts it “Knives are meant to be felt, not seen.” It should be hidden until it isn’t.

Carry Position

Assuming you have a blade that is comfortable to use, concealable, and has strong retention, you need to have a place to carry it that you can access quickly and that doesn’t get in the way too much. Most experts and trainers suggest it should be close to the centerline (think appendix carry), but wherever you carry, it should be second nature when you need to draw it. Also, another reason to have a trainer is some people practice drawing their knife with their left hand if they’re right handed, in the event your dominant hand was tied up with combatives, holding an assailant, or firing a weapon. This is another reason a trainer version is critical; doing anything with your off hand is incredibly awkward and takes getting used to.

Fighting Style

This point is critical. If you are a boxer or striker, perhaps you should go with a push dagger, or a knife that allows you to strike and still retain the weapon, like something with a retention ring. As an aside, some experts are split on the use of knives with a retention ring. If you’re a grappler or Jiu Jitsu practitioner, probably something like the Clinch Pick from Shivworks that lends itself to inside fighting would complement your style better.

In summation, there is no “perfect all-around EDC” knife. You need to think about the above considerations when making your selection, and think critically about the uses, your body type, climate (as in temperature & humidity) and local laws. In fact, you may end up with a couple knives to serve different roles, much like having a Glock 43 for the summer and deep concealment whereas in the colder months you carry a full size Glock or steel-framed pistol. A Clinch Pick can keep your 43 company while a larger blade rides along with your full size.

I just can’t stand folding knives. When I was a kid playing around and practicing the blade lock on my buck knife gave way and the blade closed on my fingers.

Imo, There is just no good tip style/shape that can be designed so that this doesn’t happen when you perform a stabbing motion.

I keep a small fixed blade on me most of the time. Not the greatest design, but it’s sharp, discrete and there if I need it.

Thought for the day:

Victory is reserved for those who are willing to pay its price. – Sun Tzu

Take 7 minutes out of your life and watch this. Good information.

Thought for the day:

A pint of sweat, saves a gallon of blood…General George Patton.

I believe it was last fall when I posted about the Army going to a new physical fitness evaluation. It went into effect the first of this month. When I originally posted the test, a few of you were dubious at best. I am including the current approved version of the test. There are no qualifiers for age, so it relies on percentages. If you have access to the equipment during this post COVID time, give it a try and see how it stacks up to your training.

One of the changes that have been implemented is that there no longer is a grading scale based on age. Soldiers will have the exact same standards regardless of age or gender.

To achieve a perfect score of 600 on the new test a soldier would have to complete the new test in 50 minutes. The exercises and prescribed rest periods as follows:

Deadlift: Soldiers will be required to lift between 120 and 420 pounds, depending on the individual soldier. Soldiers are required to do three reps in five minutes.

** followed by a two-minute rest.*

Standing Power Throw: Soldiers are required to toss a 10-pound medicine ball overhead and backward. They will make two throws, the longest is for a grade.

*followed by a two-minute rest.

Hand-raised Push-ups: Soldiers will lower their chest to the ground and lift their hands off the ground between each rep. They are required to perform as many reps as possible in three minutes.

250-Meter SprCarryint-Drag-: There are five different events within this single event: a 50-meter sprint; a backward 50-meter drag of a 90-pound sled; a 50-meter lateral movement; a 50-meter carry of two 40-pound kettlebells; and a final 50-meter sprint.

Leg Tuck: The soldier will hang perpendicular to the pull-up bar and brings his/her knees up to his elbows and back down again for one repetition.

(This may be substituted by the plank — see below.)

** followed by a five-minute rest.*

Two-mile Run: The two-mile run on the old APFT will remain in effect.

Thought for the day:

Read this, don’t just look at the pictures. It might as well be written in blood***

I teach what I learned in that dangerous gray area between what should happen and what really happens. Many things brief well until the frictions of a lethal adversary and the stress of a combative encounter take them in unexpected directions. It is best to learn from those who understand the theories but have done it themselves for real. I learned the theories from those who lived the realities of their theories … and then lived the realities of my theories for myself.

Mike Pannone.

“As to methods there may be a million and then some, but principles are few. The man who grasps principles can successfully select his own methods. The man who tries methods, ignoring principles, is sure to have trouble.”

― Harrington Emerson

1 Like

Thought for the day:

Something different. Enjoy.

Thought for the day:

Let’s not allow the cleverness of our tools to cause us to overlook the power of our bodies. We’re gonna need both…”

lion

From MGunz:

So I asked him, how did he manage to stay alive all night? He said “We have a saying here. When you meet the Lion, you will always be alone, so prepare yourself. That night I met the Lion, but I was ready for him, so I lived. He smiled with a mostly toothless grin. I never forgot that story and my take away was that you never know when you may have to face the Lion. The Lion being something, or someone that wants to kill you. It could be a car wreck, an enemy solider, or some mental deranged kid in a high school. In any case, when the Lion comes you can bet it will be when you are least expecting it and probably alone.

I got to thinking about this again after the recent school shooting . They faced the Lion with courage and selfless action. They are beyond hero’s, IMO they’re warriors in every sense of the word.

I have to hope that if you, or I someday have to face the Lion, we will react as bravely as those who did in Florida. I hope that even if I’m unarmed that maybe, just maybe the fact that I have worked hard all my life to keep myself in decent physical condition, that I have a physical edge that could save my life, or the life of another person(s).

It may be just a foolish thought, as no man is tougher than a bullet, but being in shape can’t hurt and it just might be the slight mental and physical advantage that can make the difference when you’re in a tough spot. The final point being that keeping yourself in good condition can mean a whole lot more than just looking good on the beach, or doing better on the football field, It could be the difference between life or death, Military, firefighters and LE know this because they’re professional Lion Tamers. However, in today’s world the Lions seem to be everywhere. Even in our schools. Something to keep in mind when you don’t want to go to the gym, or out for a run.

The Lion is out there and he is ready. Are you?