The Tactical Life

Very true. LEO’s may not want to or work may conflict with the scheduled classes.

As an example, at the local Gracie BJJ gym, most of the adult sessions would be during a shift for at least half the patrol officers or cutting into sleep/family time during the work week. For those that could hit the mat schedule-wise, they will be rotating to a prohibitive shift in 4-6 months. This makes it difficult to maintain consistency.

A similar argument holds for getting LEO’s out to a IDPA or USPSA match. In my area, most matches break the first shot at 0800 and go to 1200-1400 on Saturday or Sunday. Half of the station can’t get there because they’re working or need to sleep for that night’s shift. Unless a shooting class is LEO specific, most are held on Saturdays and Sundays so the same restrictions apply. Never mind most LEO’s aren’t shooters.

On the other hand, hitting the gym or going for a run/swim/bike can be done at almost any time on any day. This makes it easy to do on a regular basis even popping into the station’s weight room and hour before shift. Heck, I’ve gone for runs or hit the 24 hours gym after swing shift (never found a mat and open at 0330).

I’m glad any of my partners do some form of physical training. Could it be better…definitely.

@mixicus something is almost always better than nothing, agreed. I may be especially fortunate in terms of my schedule, I don’t know. I work a a 24 hour patrol rotation, 12 hour days, 11 hour nights. I make it to bjj/judo/mma 3-5×/wk, depending on the week. I also work 4-6 8 hour overtime shifts a month and volunteer to train with our dog handler for half days about once a week (wanna go K-9 one day).

Sometimes that means getting up for a noon open mat after a night shift then coming back home and sleeping for amother hour or two before going back the following night. Sometimes it means rushing from a 12 hour to back to back classes of mma then bjj. Sometimes this means taking my kid to jits and hitting the drive thru on the way home so we can hang out a little.

Sometimes it means slogging through the woods, hopping fences and getting bitten by a dog then coming home, picking off the ticks, showering up and heading out to get strangled and punched then showering up again and hanging out with my wife for a few minutes watching half an episode of something on Netflix l before I collapse.

I doubt I’ll make it to an IPSC match anytime soon, but I have an airsoft “range” in my basement and I get in a fair number of drawstrokes most days and am a bit off and on with my dry fire (although I’m slipping a bit lately on the reps). I’m also lucky to have a private 24 hour range in our patrol area where I can discretely slip out and rip off a few dozen rounds on a slower shift provided I put my earpiece on under my earmuffs and monitor the radio.

I get pretty damn tired, I haven’t finished a book in awhile, my honey-do list is long and I have to pay a guy to mow my lawn, but we make it work. In no way is this intended as “look what a stud I am”. Anything but. It’s just a case of if you see something as necessary you’ll usually find a way to make it possible. Jits is my stress release, it’s not a chore, it’s a labour of love. That it may keep me alive is a very definite bonus. Same with shooting and dog stuff. OT is all about the cash though, and sometimes is definitely a chore, haha…

Thank you

Thought for the Day

In a recent survey to local female law enforcement officers not assigned to tactical units, 63% of the respondents’ agencies do not offer mandatory firearms training post-academy. Also, 66% of those agencies require officers to qualify on their duty guns annually. Eight-nine (89%) percent have not attended any outside firearms training within the last five (5) years.

I don’t know if this statement is in fact true, but, if it is, it is a national disgrace.

In the theme of keeping safe: A good read for the concealed carry civilian, especially the gunfighting distances.

Are You Training For Fads, Fantasy Or A Fight?

By Tom Givens

When I first started training people as a side-line job in 1975, you could count on one hand the people who made a living providing defensive firearms training — outside of government and police academies. By the time I started training full time in 1996, the number had grown greatly. Now, there are scores of people teaching firearms use full time and a horde teaching on occasion. This expansion into what is now often called “the training industry” has brought quality firearms training within the reach of any serious student, anywhere in the US. Unfortunately, it has also brought a tidal wave of unqualified “instructors” into the mix, with all sorts of trademark gimmicks designed to lure in unknowing customers.

Many of these new trainers’ courses feature high round counts, lots of flashy movement drills, and “new and better” ways to run the handgun. The late Pat Rogers coined the term “edutainment” to describe this phenomenon. The late Louis Awerbuck called it “entertrainment.” Both refer to the practice of setting up courses to be fun, exciting and most importantly, different from everyone else’s. As my good friend, John Farnam, says, “When people show up for a pistol class, the first thing they want to know is when do we get to jump out of the flaming helicopters?” Sadly, this has very little to do with defending yourself effectively in the United States civil environment.

If you’re worried about defending your family at the mall, do you really
need to take a rifle class and wear a chest rig? Or should you be
concentrating on handgun basics?

One is likely a vacation — the other
will build a solid foundation for daily protection.

What’s The Context?

When choosing a hunting handgun, for instance, we examine different criteria than when selecting a carry handgun. Same goes for your training. If you’re trying to learn how to defend yourself at the local mall, doing carbine courses with a chest rig and an AR won’t really help you. The reality is there are a handful of basic skills involved, but those basics need to be mastered in either case. Training resources like time, money and ammunition need to be spent on developing these basic skills until they can be called on reliably in an emergency.

I have been investigating shooting incidents for over 40 years. In private citizen self-defense shootings, we see the same things coming up, over and over. I dislike the term “average shooting” as the term is meaningless. To have averages, you take big numbers and small numbers and mash them together. The result is usually misleading. For instance, if you look at two shootings involving students of mine, one was shot at 22 yards, the other at 11 shots at 4 yards. Their average would be six shots at 13 yards, which isn’t even close to either incident. I prefer the term “typical shooting.” “Typical” means we’re seeing the same things occur, over and over, in many different defensive circumstances.

What we continually see in private citizen defensive shootings as the root cause is one of the 4 R’s: Robbery, Rape, Road Rage or Respect. By far, the most common circumstance is an armed robbery. Whether someone is sticking up your small business, robbing you in the parking lot, demanding your car keys at gunpoint or kicking in your door while armed, these are all just variations of armed robbery.

Student Defensive Shootings

I have good debriefs on almost 70 defensive shootings involving my students over the years. Over 9 out of 10 of these occurred away from home, at convenience stores, shopping malls, grocery stores, ATM’s and other public places. Since they were in public spaces, even at night there was adequate illumination to see and function quite well. Not one shooting involved a flashlight, and not one student indicated they felt a need for one at the time

. Over 9 out of 10 occurred between 3 and 5 yards, which is about the length of a typical American sedan. Most involved little or no movement, with a quick side-step being the only movement involved in all but two. Only three fired from other than a standing position and only one incident involved intentional physical contact between the attacker and the defender. The fight was won in all of these cases by the quick application of pretty basic skills.

Have the gun on your person, it won’t do you any good otherwise. Solid initial training, followed up with periodic sustainment training with your carry gear leads to a comfort level with the equipment fostering the willingness to actually wear it daily. Learn to access the handgun from concealment, safely, reliably and quickly. Learn to get good, solid hits with the first rounds out of the gun. It would be good to know how to reload it, and to fix malfunctions, if they occur.

Take a good course on legal issues, like one from Massad Ayoob or Andrew Branca, and then carry on.
If you want to go to one of the fantasy camps, that’s fine. But chalk it up to your vacation account — not your training budget.

Tom founded Rangemaster Firearms Training Services and can be reached at www.rangemaster.com, Email: rangemaster.tom@gmail.com.

1 Like

Been busy on a detail and I was going to post this yesterday. The Marine HIIT Competition is ongoing now. Support for the brothers and sisters working hard.

HQ

1 Like

Sorry folks, but I feel the need to ask.

I am making improvements to my grappling dummy routine, now I try to stand it upright and sort of high crotch/one side caber toss it as explosively as I can up to head height, run a few steps and flip it over as I slam it before ground and pounding it, until I pick it up again.

I am exerting myself with a 100lb bag, should I use something heavier? I thought to do a web search of 200lb as that more likely approximates an opponent. The heaviest I found is 140lbs. a thread on another board had someone say he is 290lbs and is done well enough with a 130lbs.

Any thoughts, please and thanks.

Thank you, great article! I am a civilian, and I have wondered about those exact topics.

The USMC HITT stuff looks like a lot of fun!

Great article too. There’s a lot of “instructors” out there who need instruction for sure. Individuals do definitely need to check an instructor’s qualifications before plopping down their cash.
Sadly, there’s a lot of civilians who fall for the gimmicks this man mentions.
Always someone making money off of other people’s ignorance.

1 Like

Thought for the day:

_“you can’t buy security” _
― Frank Herbert, Dune

To follow up on yesterday’s civilian carry theme:

It also has my kind of gym:

2 Likes

Wednesday’s Weapon: The .30 Caliber M-1 Carbine.

Why? Because it is an American icon which has killed countless enemies, it was the first “rifle” I ever shot, it has occupied a special place in my heart since it was my first “hunting rifle”, it has been for me, a perfect fit of a gun, and I am a proud owner of a vintage Korean War model. Yes, I know it fires a wimpy round and it doesnt look near as cool as a AR system, but, damn, I love that little carbine.

two

Some history:

Dave Spaulding is one of the finest"firearms instructor,gunfighters", I have ever met. Over 30 years in law enforcement, early days of SWAT, superior civilian instructor and just a very solid man, a true “quiet professional”. A true gentleman. He has his own blog"Handgun Combatives" which goes in depth on the civilan shooter. Well worth reading.

http://handguncombatives.blogspot.com/

Yessir and a fine gym it is!

Thought for the day (1):

In the end, the world is not complicated. It is filled with evil, evil that must be confronted by righteous strength and courage. In the end, some people just need to be killed.

Another brother shot to death, a 21 year veteran. Rest easy, lift a mead fro me, for I will be joining you soon.

dreams_of_valhalla_by_cg_zander-d6cz1eh

Thought for the day (2):

Can you save yourself?

First, let me state in the strongest terms possible, this post is in no way criticizing the thousands of victims of hurricane Harvey, who had have their lives destroyed and second, I live in an isolated bubble and my normal is not the average persons’ normal. Since I am limited to AFN for most of my news, I have seen extensive coverage of the devastated areas. What little heart I have left, goes out to the victims and it is extremely frustrating to be 7 000 miles away and not being able to help my fellow Americans.

Since I do work for the USG, I went yesterday and asked for a TDY to the Border Patrol rescue unit, the National Guard, Coast Guard, Homeland Security, or even the Cajun Navy. Sitting across from Command, I said,” you do know my background, right?” “I can even drive an airboat and I know how to strap someone into an air lift”. I got the “dick growing out of the forehead look” and then the “vital to the mission speech”, which is bureaucratic speak for “get the fuck out of my office and go back to work”.
So, I cannot go and I am struck watching the news when I can. This brings me to the point of this ramble:

Can you save yourself?

It is extremely sad and alarming how many victims are weak and overweight. I see them struggling to wade through water, struggle to lift themselves in a boat within help, struggle to walk, struggle to carry their kids, etc. When I am home on leave, I am simply amazed when I go to Walmart for a fishing license or Kroger for groceries the number of overweight people and especially the number of people riding in motorized carts who at not handicapped or missing legs.

What happened to Americans? Have we become so weak that we simply cannot care for our health and safety? In my little world, I don’t know an overweight person, overweight and fat in my line of work is a death sentence.

What happened? Is it because as a society, America had become the land of 911? If you have a problem, call the first responders? Because, you see, I don’t have to take responsibility to be in some type of physical shape, because, you know, that’s you job to be in shape. It my job to be in trouble and yours to save me.

What Happened? Is it the massive social media network? Where self-gratification is achieved through a video or picture and not through self-responsibility? Because, you know, it is hard to post selfies, videos, texts, and pictures while physically moving. Thou, from the amount dipshits I see in the gym texting while sitting on a squat rack is increasing.

What happened? I used to co habituate with an elementary school teacher who specialized in the 4, 5, and 6th grades. She would often be stressed to the max with dealing with those kids all day and often remark that in “the old days” kids were allowed to have physical fitness classes and burn of some of that excess energy. Now, they get “free time” to play computer games. How does that prepare someone to swim, run, or actually play?

What happened? Was creating an all-volunteer military the first step in creating this massive divide between the “ordinary citizen” and those who have to save them? How did we become a nation that only one percent of one percent have to do the fighting and saving? Should you not have enough personal pride to at least walk a mile? to at least carry your children to safety?

Here is an idea that will get me burned at the PC stake: IMO, every American girl or boy, when they have their 17th birthday or graduate high school has to attend 4 months of military training. We have to do something to return to some type of martial nation, we could use this time to implant the idea of physical readiness, self-responsibility, basic skills in survival, medical, weapons, hygiene, education in disaster planning, in other words,…….life skills. “Social media skills are great, until the waters start rising.

Rain

2 Likes

Screw PC - it’s for pussies who are so weak that little words hurt their little feelings. And it’s also a huge problem in our society that some allow to stop them from behaving like frickin men, but, a real man couldn’t care less if speaking the truth “offends” someone’s delicate sensibilities. So thanks for being a man.

The training for youngsters echoes words I’ve spoken many times since observing my kids’ friends. Thank God my son listened to me. All those things they DO need to learn. They’re sure as hell not going to get that education from the couch watching it on YouTube, like so many keyboard commandos.

Bravo for this post @idaho !

I’ll be going down the 22lr and pistol (my choice is a bit restricted while starting here) road regarding training, and yep, it’s lined up for the period following my med entry results in a month or so.
I remember reading the discussion regarding the 22lr as practical choice to start with - i’ve been lurking for a while - and I’ll take all the good advice I can find. I’ll still go back and read through the Bad Ideas thread on occasion as I really enjoy a lot of the earlier discussion there, including Robert A’s posts.

And yeah, I agree: groundwork before gospel would be more appropriate, so that’s what I’ll do.

Cheers,
Steak

Good choice for a starter thre Steak. Best of luck!

Flashback Friday

Carlos Hathcock

Sniper

Carlos Hathcock – 93 Confirmed Kills

Hailing from Little Rock, Arkansas, Carlos Hathcock enlisted in the United States Marine Corps at the age of seventeen in May of 1959. His record-breaking precision shooting would make him a legend among his marine peers, where he would amass 93 confirmed kills of Viet Cong and North Vietnamese Army personnel during the Vietnam War.

Among his notable kills were Apache, a female Viet Cong commanding general known for her ruthlessness and penchant for torture of captured American soldiers. The Viet Cong nicknamed Hathcock Long Trang, meaning White Feather, after his habit of wearing a white feather in his hat for good luck, and soon after many other marines began wearing a white feather as well to confuse the enemy.

While Hathcock generally preferred the standard sniper rifle of the time — the Winchester Model 70 .30-06 caliber with the 8-power Unertel scope — a M25 rifle, the White Feather, was later named in his honor. Carlos Hathcock passed away in February of 1999.

1 Like