The Tactical Life

Shouldn’t he spend time in jail for… I dunno… entering a bar and shooting up the place?

In theory yes. In practice, no. In Russia, Chechens and Dagestanis enjoy virtual immunity from any prosecution as the only punishment authorities in other federal republics of Russia can met out is deportation to Chechnya where they’re inevitably and immediately pardoned.

That’s the price of the deal Putin struck with Kadyrov’s father.

Also, one aspect that is relevant to this thread, is how Chechens handle things. You direct some mild criticism at Chechens and the next day your daughter gets attacked on her way from school.

https://www.rt.com/news/362689-emelianenko-mma-daughter-attacked/

I knew the Russian mafia was an entire step above the ilItalians when it comes to brutality.

But the Chechens have the bitch move down to an art form. Attacking little girls. Bravo.

This comment applies only in the states, but it sounds like the “good old boy system” I’;ve seen down home and in a few small cities.

Let’s say Jimmy the police chief has a daughter married to his friend Joe’s son Bubba. Everyone worked on a farm together when they were younger, then Jimmy went into LE, Joe is a security guard, and their kids went to school together, got married, etc. You see how it goes. So when Bubba gets into a barroom brawl with someone outside the circle, is picked up (if he is taken in at all), goes to jail…Jimmy tells the arresting LEO “Awww, don’t bother about him - he’;s a good old boy.”

And you can bet the boy knew that the Chief would cut him some slack or he wouldn’t have beat the crap out of the drunk to start with.

My point is, that sort of thing goes from small towns, to big cities, and apparently to entire countries don’t it? :slight_smile:

K gents,

Stay safe!

Book Recommendation:

De Re Militari.

Written as a suggestion to a Roman Emperor to get the Legion back to the condition they were in at their best. Think it was written in the 2nd century.
Many Military Commanders have a copy. It’s classic advice stuff. I’ve read it and will reread it…

1 Like

Your contributions are always welcome, you are probably the most knowlegable person here on Islamic culture. This is an excellent post about “situation awareness” in other cultures. Your advise about researching the local customs is gold and hopefully, followed by everyone here.

I dont have any experience with Chechens personally but I do have a little with the Albanian drug trade. Their organized crime bosses are some of the most violent in the world. as a side note: Chechen criminals/ “fighters” will always have a little special place of hatred in me for Beslan.

On occassion, I observed this among the Kuwait police and military, the Iraqis would someone times scream and shout at each other, especially if the commander was Shitte.

Good post and if you ever have the time, comment on the different cultures you have been exposed to from a survival standpoint. Thanks.

Wednesday’s Weapon

I am going to start something new for Wednesday. Every Wednesday that I am not outside the wire, I am going to post about a different weapon, Anything from Atlatls to Hellfires. Use Wednesday to post a picture about your favorite weapon, explain why and contribute to the discussion.

I think it is only fitting to start out with the classic design by John Browning: The Colt model 1911 Semi-Automatic .45 ACP. It the shit gets so deep that I am down to my handgun for survival , its the 1911 I want in my hand. It truely is, “GOD’s Gun”.

Let me suggest you read the following book, it is a true classic of how Guns, Germs, and Steel shaped the history of mankind.

3 Likes

Yeah it’s a tricky situation with the laws as they are, and reform is (practically) gradual, so we work with what we must.

On a more positive note, had another chat with a female friend of the adamant “I just don’t like guns” crowd about her sister traveling alone in South America for a couple of months later this year; to my surprise she acknowledged that yes, some basic instruction wouldn’t go amiss for her sister and her. Baby steps.

@Steak_Lover orry if I missed it, but have you got licensing and some training lined up for yourself? I know up here it’s a bit time consuming to get licenses processed once you qualify.

“Qualifications” consist of a two one day safety courses (non-restricted and restricted) about legal stuff, safety practices and basic handling with no live fire. Basically, ‘this is the dangerous end, don’t point it at anything you don’t want to destroy and the rounds go in here’. Simple enough, but then the government has to process the application and that’s where it bogs down.

Guess my point is I suggest you start sooner than later and make sure you’re squared away before you worry too much about spreading the gospel, so to speak. What type of training are you looking at/is available to you (i.e. pistol, long gun, marksmanship, sport, tactical etc)? As concealed carry is off the table, IMHO long gun will be more useful to you than pistol.

A really knowledgeable and sorely missed former regular on here, Robert A, used to suggest a semi-auto 22lr rifle as the best starter gun out there and I agree. Inexpensive to buy and shoot, low noise and recoil, fun, it’s an ideal way to get started. A good 22 purchased now and shot often and properly will do more for you than an AR-15 that you have to save up for a year to afford.

I know there’s a lot of talk on here about ‘gunfighting’ training over marksmanship, and that’s important, but you still need to start with good fundamentals. You can’t gunfight if you can’t hit targets. A good 22lr willl allow you to build those fundamentals, and, push comes to shove, it can still put holes in an aggressor.

I concur. But I’ve been labeled a “1911 snob” too… And of course arguments about why the “venerable” is or isn’t the best go to handgun are endless, and not for this thread.
I personally love Kimberly 1911’s. This is close to my carry gun except mine has tritium night sights, I added a mag well and use 8 Rd mags with thick bumpers. I also always swap out the firing pin for titanium to decrease lock time a tad. Then there’s personalization stuff like grips and screws/pins, etc.

One of the most frequent arguments I get about carrying this is magazine capacity. My response is that I can swap mags pretty damn fast and if the first 8 rounds didn’t do the job it’s a helllabad situation. Besides, I get better shots out to 50 yards with a near half inch bullet starting at 954FPS and an ungodly amount of ME using Hornady Critical Duty (220gr) rounds.

Anyway, yes a Kimber will start around $850 new, but by the time I buy another brand at half that and customize it to suit me, I’ll spend $850 or more in cash and end up with my time in the thing. Prefer to grab what I want off the shelf to avoid all that.

I have a Kimber Custom II .45 and I love it like it’s family.

I really wanted to like the 1911. Years ago a vet friend of mine let me have a go on his para-arms Task Force Kandahar commemorative 1911. I’d only shot glocks and M&P’s by then and both felt like plastic toys compared to this thing. I remember thinking, ‘now this is a real gun.’ I was really psyched loading it up. That single stack of 45 acp’s looked super badass and the action felt really authoritative when I racked the slide. Then I shot.

Worst pistol I’ve ever shot. Every few rounds the safety would migrate up into the path of the slide and create a stoppage. Nice for doing stoppage drills, but that’s about it. The guy tells me he’s had it back and forth to the armourer and it just won’t run. He loves the pistol for sentimental reasons otherwise he’d just sell it.

I realize that not all 1911’s are created equal and any manufactured item can be a lemon but it left a bad taste in my mouth, mostly because I was just so disappointed…

Yessir same here.

1 Like

found your problem…

@anon50325502 I have no idea what you mean.

Pretty sure he’s referring to the maple leaf - a Canadian manufacturer??

Try a Colt, Springfield or Kimber. All 3 make solid 1911’s… I warn u now though, you buy one Kimber you’ll fall in love and spend more and more money on more kimbers!
Of course Sig has a nice one too. Something emperor I believe. I’ve never fired a Sig of any model but know their reputation had to be earned.

That longest sniper kill was with a 50 right?

Would imagine the shortest was with an M24 in Vietnam so a 30-06 round.

I believe that shot was made on a MacMillan Tac 50. BMG round. I Just like to toss that out there when you Yanks make fun of us gun fearing Canucks ;^)

Para arms is now based in North Carolina but was founded in Canada. The pistol itself was issued to the CF task force members, which is where my buddy got it. I’ve never had an issue with products made in Canada except price…

I’ve heard that people love their Kimbers, but they are a bit pricey. Fair warning haha…

Lol, touche

Well if ya all didn’t make it so easy! Frickin Canucks-u guys are all cheeky bastards ain’t ya?
But let’s not get too off the tactical topic. Those shots were all made by Americans? Would make sense :wink: Seems we kinda started shooting distance from cover during the Revolutionary War. That would’ve been my mountain people family doing that stuff. We can fight in the woods like no one else. Maybe not dense jungle, but in forests and mountains we can’t be outmatched.

We do make it pretty easy, I’ll give you that. That said, there was that time in 1812 when you folks declared war intending to annex Canada. As I recall around 1814 we kinda burned the Whitehouse and we’re still not US territory.

I’d say we hold our own OK. We may be polite and we don’t always kill people, but when we do we do it fairly well. Canadian Expeditionary Force comes to mind among other things.

Anyway, I’ll set aside the patriotic chest beating if you will, it’s very un-Canadian of me anyway :wink:.

1 Like