The Tactical Life

Thanks Brother. Will keep you posted.

Well, the only hard pass/fail PT test I know of is another one of these higher intensity, shorter duration obstacle run type style tests. Sprints, hurdles, stairs, 6 foot wall etc. Parts of it are done in a heavy vest. There are elements of memory and taking direction. The specifics of that test can be looked up by any member of our agency.

The tryouts are 4 days (I believe) and are fitness intensive, I expect. Other than the obstacle run and pistol quals, the rest of what goes on at the 4 day is protected so I don’t know what happens. I know the old test was very much Cooper’s based, so I’d be expecting to run through those standards. Even if they aren’t technically pass/fail anymore, I’m sure we’ll be graded on it.

I believe there are swimming/water confidence elements as well and I’d be surprised if there wasn’t a ruck or some other longer distance overland event. They’re looking for attributes more than hard skills. Leadership qualities, composure under stress, phobias, team qualities, ability to get along, etc. .

Basically they beat the snot out of you for a few days, screw with your heads and see who gets rattled, from what I can gather. There are a bunch of force on force, decision making and shooting scenarios you are evaluated on as they grind you down. At the end I understand they evaluate you and make a recommendation as to whether you should be considered for the actual selection and training course itself, which is several months.

Sounds like fun.

1 Like

Yes, from Dune: Actually credited to the character “Rebecca of Ginaz” .

1 Like

Thought for the day:

tr

3 Likes

Thought for the day: IMHO, this quote pretty much sums up the “Tactical Life”. From tactics to martial arts, from training to mental toughness. From your profession to your responsibilities, learn what makes you ,the best you.

“Adapt what is useful, reject what is useless, and add what is specifically your own”

Bruce lee

Thought for the day:

“How you do anything is how you do everything”

1 Like

Thought for the day:

I don’t know which is worse, feeling the anger that no one stepped up to stop a vicious coward or that society has gotten to the point that it is more important to have a video than to save a life. That is truly mind numbing to me. However, I suspect the would be movie makers would have felt differently if they were getting the shit kicked out of them. Pure disgust.

A video of the incident attracted more than 12 million views online as of late Saturday. The footage drew outrage, directed not just at the attack but at the witnesses filming on their cell phones who stood by and shouted instead of intervening.

Thought for the day:

fit

2 Likes

Thought for the day: I was able to visit Arlington National Cemetery. For those who gave all:

Here was a new generation, shouting the old cries, learning the old creeds, through a revery of long days and nights; destined finally to go out into that dirty gray turmoil to follow love and pride; a new generation dedicated more than the last to the fear of poverty and the worship of success; grown up to find all Gods dead, all wars fought, all faiths in man shaken…”-F Scott Fitzgerald

1 Like

Thought for the day:

There is nothing outside of yourself that can ever enable you to get better, stronger, richer, quicker, or smarter. Everything is within. Everything exists. Seek nothing outside of yourself. — Miyamoto Musashi, “The Book of Five Rings”

2 Likes

Thought for the day:

I recently attended a two day Krav Maga seminar. While there, I saw a quote that resonated with me:

Patches are sewed on uniforms, but, loyalty is sown in the heart"

Additional note: This seminar did not allow cell phones, which made a very nice block of instruction. No filming, no selfies, no nothing, not even something as archaic as taking notes. I don’t disagree and that is certainly the instructors right to ban electronics. This class was limited to military/ LEO’s, but, even this profession’s main bitch of the instruction was lack of electronics. Unbelievable, and honestly, very sad to me. Maybe I am just getting old.

It makes perfect sense. Someone filming is a distraction. Some people, especially LEOs and military, might not want their images ending up on Facebook or something. Also, when it comes to seminars limited to LEOs, some instructors don’t like the idea that what is being taught to the “good guys” ends up on the internet for all to see.

The Sunday Comics:

meth

3 Likes

Motivational Monday:

general

4 Likes

Thought for the day:

A Tapout shirt doesn’t make a fighter, gym clothes don’t make someone an athlete, and “operator” kit doesn’t make you a gunfighter. Train efficiently, safely, and often if you want to be a better.

If your mindset is bent towards preparedness or you care to be an asset versus a liability then we know that training is the key. Owning a guitar does not make you Eric Clapton.

Thought for the day: Some wise words, worth reading:

You probably realized this, but the skill of being able to avoid and deter confrontation becomes more and more valuable as you get older. It may not be as sexy as gun play, but you get to use it a lot more and it might save you from a conflict escalating to where you have to use your gun at all.*

How can you practice this?

*1. Every day, watch people and situations. Study them. Evaluate the people around you and your surroundings to get a general feel for how safe or unsafe you are. Then, BE COMFORTABLE LEAVING situations when things start getting hairy.

2. As you find yourself in disagreements and conflicts, begin the practice of disciplining yourself to add water to the fire, rather than fuel.

3. In disagreements, step back mentally while they’re happening and “take the temperature” of both yourself and the other person. Pay attention to the impact of the words you use, the volume, and your body language. And be prepared to physically leave and regroup if one or both of you can’t calm down or you run out of verbal tools to calm things down.

1 Like

Thought for the day: From Mike Pannone of CTT Solutions. Honor and Courage from the Greatest Generation.

doolite

men

plane

This is why America was and is still such a ferocious enemy. We create men like this and in great numbers. Today LtCol Richard Cole, the last survivor of the Doolittle Raid and alt Col Doolittle’s co-pilot passed at 103 years old. That raid was the first strike against the Japanese home islands after Pearl Harbor.

The Raiders plan was to strip aircraft of everything but bombs and fuel and launch land-based B-25 bombers from an aircraft carrier. They knew from the start that they would not return and at best, would crash in China and be recovered by partisans. An audacious plan to show that even though we had been stumbled, America would get to her feet and immediately throw a jab to show we were still in the fight. They were brave, selfless and willing with little fanfare to sacrifice their lives on the altar of freedom. Of the 16 planes and 80 airmen who participated in the raid, all either crash-landed, were ditched, or crashed after their crews bailed out, with the single exception of Capt. York and his crew, who landed in Soviet Russia. Despite the loss of these 15 aircraft, 69 airmen escaped capture or death, with only three killed in action.

4 Likes

emphasized text

Idaho: I haven’t been here forever, but after reviewing the last 20 or so posts, saw that you need a fresh 1911 photo. Here u are, my most recent 45ACP acquisition.
The only issue with this one is that it’s way too nice to carry. It leaves home in a soft case for the range, gets fired, wiped down a bit, returns to origin in the soft case, gets stripped and cleaned, then locked back up.
However, the thing dang near shoots itself and almost makes it difficult to miss.
There we are, a 1911 insert for the Tactical Life.

For carry, consider a Rock Island Armory Tactical II…

3 Likes

Jesus Christ! Brother, Where the hell have you been? Good to see you are still breathing, but, you are a true bastard to pop in here with that beautiful 1911. My latest acquisition is Springfield Officers Model. Wasn’t planning on buying one, but, as you know the best gun deals are from guys going through a divorce:))

1 Like

Thought for the Day:

If your fitness regimen is skewed in either direction, you will have weaknesses in your endgame. You may be able to move quickly from place to place, and in some situations, that may be enough. But when you need power, when you absolutely must pick up and carry weight, when your team mates’ lives depend on your ability to push the weight, carry the load, and shoulder the burden, you better have the reserves of strength to pull it off. If running is the primary focus of your regimen and you only occasionally do pushups, you won’t be able to lift or carry the required load when the time comes. If you only lift weights and you are negligent in aerobic fitness, your team will be waiting on you, or worse.

So, check your workouts and make sure you are balanced and focused on a broad spectrum of activities and types of exercise. Don’t forget to add technical skills into your fitness program, particularly at a time when your heart rate is very high. A tactical athlete isn’t just in shape, A Tactical Athlete is always ready.