The Tactical Life

I have posted this routine up thread, but listening to Pat Mac makes me want to reiterate what has been awesome for me these last couple of years.

I moved to a smaller place where I can’t set up my old equipment, and improvised something I can do in the backyard, yes, even during a polar vortex type of cold.

Monday - Friday
Warmup for several minutes with shadowboxing or rope skipping.

Take a 100lb boxing heavy bag as an off chain workout.
Stand it up, go down on the right knee, right hand underneath the bag, tip it onto the left shoulder and drive up with the left leg until standing. Then run a few steps with the bag, drop it and land on it, then ground and pound it. 30 second later stand it up, and do the same with the opposite side, that is onto the right shoulder and drive up with the right leg.

Over the course of 9 minutes that is 18 pickups and slams, with in between ground and pound to keep the heart going and do a little up body work. Also, the pickups and carries to take it out back and after back in the house.

Wednesday
aerobics; skip rope for 3 minutes, drop and do 10 pushups, 10 situps and 10 body weight squats. Pick up the rope and do it all again, and ideally a third cycle.

This is a perfect setup for me as a 50 year old man, more of a less is more approach.

I feel like I could tackle a bison and rip its horns off in the process.

Basically I am doing what approximates a functional multi compound routine, and I should have discovered it years ago.

1 Like

First in with an active shooter story that is unfolding as of the time of this post. Initial report indicates an automatic rifle.

I personally have interjected myself into different scenarios - armed and unarmed & family to absolute stranger “defence”. Although l want to think this was societally
more common in the past, who knows?

It is a subject l need to revisit and determine (in addition to how) when to act.

I am a big fan of Andrew Branca’s work, and he is absolutely against using deadly force, or any kind of force to defend a stranger, mass shooter incidents being the exception.

Very good article, by the way.

Motivation Monday:

need

He who conquers himself is the mightiest warrior.

Confucius

2 Likes

Thought for the day: I have seen numerous examples of this quote in all forms. The LE/Military field is ripe with this dogma. Too many times, good tactics and new approaches are ignored just because “this is the way we have always done it”.

( A current example: The Marine Corps in 2018 finally adopted the Magpul magazines for combat, even through they have been around for about 10 years) This is especially true both in numerous martial arts and especially the gym, where “rules” are ingrained in concrete.

Another example: I was using a sledge hammer on a tire yesterday as a finisher, when a “gentleman” came over and asked me what I was doing. I said" getting in my finisher". He said, " I don’t need any finisher because I lift hard".

At first, I thought he was saying I was fucking off and being in not the best of moods, I was having thoughts of ill intent, when I realized, he didn’t have a clue about doing a “finisher”. Maybe you should try it, I said, and tried to hand him the hammer. He refused and walked off. Close off you mind to trying new training, whether its the martial arts, tactics, or the weight room will eventually bite you on the ass, my opinion.

langauage

2 Likes

Thought for the day:

Decisions are best made prior to when they are forced upon you.

leader

Thought for the day: mmmmmmmmmm, always have your machete, you never know, however, nothing ruins a good edge more than trying to slice a vehicle.

WATCH: Store clerk's machete fends off knife-wielding robbery suspects | Fox News

Thought for the day (2): If you take home security seriously, this is worth listening to and take what you can to modify your own plan.

The Sunday Comics:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bu4wD7cn2F1/

1 Like

The Sunday Comics:

idiot

The Sunday Comics:

emt

1 Like

Lol. Nice one Brother. Gearing up for spring ERT (Canuck SWAT) tryouts right now. Date isn’t set, but it’s coming. Trying to fit in range time 2x/week, running (sprints and middle distance) and core 2x/week, hi rep body weight work with a sprint finisher 2x/week, rucking 2x/week, swimming 2x/week and BJJ 2x/week. Running out of week. Not unhappy with my progress. Prioritizing running and shooting (mostly marksmanship as the tests are still very marksmanship over tactical style) if have to let something slide in a given week.

1 Like

Shot another IPSC match today. It’s still a real struggle to separate out the things that I do at work that will DQ me at a match. Also, I shoot comps with a Smith M&P 9mm Pro. It’s a much better pistol than my issue, but I have about 30 000 rounds through my issue vs about 1000 through the M&P. I feel a bit like a monkey humping a football out there, but I love it.

I think it’s some of the best readily accessible ‘stress shooting’ training out there. The likelihood that someone is going to kill me is remote. The likelihood I’m gonna look like a dumbass is high. Honestly, to prospect of looking like a dumbass generally causes me more anxiety than the prospect of being killed. I feel less stress going to a legit gun call than I do being put “on display” at a competition or qual. It’s bizarre.

Edit:

I think many cops stay away from things like IPSC, BJJ etc. for that exact reason; fear of embarrassment. Many of us need to feel like we’re more competent the the average Joe. But mats and targets don’t lie. If someone out-shoots us or taps us out, there’s no bullshitting your way through that. Sad that so many of us would sooner risk being killed than being humbled.

I wish you all the best. I don’t think you will have any problem, just keep training and it will happen. Let me know.

1 Like

No, it is certainly not bizarre, I feel the same way. I would rather fight for my life than be embarrassed in front of a crowd. I once had a 55 year old dentist from North Carolina, out shoot me so bad, that I was flaming with shame. What made it so bad, he was a really nice guy, with no ego and innocently made the remark, “so you work diplomatic protection”? I just wanted to crawl into a hole.))

One of my favorite quotes in life: Humiliation is a thing never forgotten.

Totally agree and one of the biggest obstacles to meaningful in-service training. You would think that with a cop being killed every 58 hours now, this ego bullshit would die. Not happening.

1 Like

Motivational Monday: Unless life has you penned down with no cover or back up, train today.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BvVKJU-nD-L/

2 Likes

Train smart and the rest will fall into place.

If you don’t mind, would you share the PT portion of the tryouts (even in general terms). Around here an age adjusted Cooper test is pretty common (push-up/pull-ups/sit-ups and 1.5 mile run).

Was this in Dune? I could swear it was