T Nation

The Tactical Life

You summed up everything I was taught for LE and corrections regarding knives. Create distance ideally to employ your own weapon if possible. Obviously gun as LE and OC spray as corrections.

My first department taught to us to basically hip fire regarding someone at close distance with a knife. The thought being that if you missed it would still likely reset the attacker’s OODA loop. We were reminded to be aware of the background, of course.

The biggest thing that I am glad you touched on was the getting cut. “Plan on getting cut,” was literally the first thing I was told regarding knife defense. I think it bears repeating.

@Tim_Tom, what are your country’s laws regarding OC or Pepper spray. Are personal tazers legal? Those might be an option if they are allowed.

While I know first hand that you can fight after being sprayed, it will definitely slow most attackers at a minimum. I personally have never “rode the lightning,” but I have witnessed tazings and heard it was a bitch.

Pepper spray is illegal here. You can get a spray that goes in people’s eyes and blinds them with paint, but I don’t plan on having a spray holster as it’d just look ridiculous and create way too much attention. Having it in your bag is also useless, I think.

I have worked with the British numerous times over the last several years. It doesn’t matter how many badges I have, background or security clearances, they go absolutely bat shit about me being armed. Even on a military base for joint training, you are always jumping through the arcane British administration.

Never ceases to amaze how the British government cares more about their precious weapons laws and so little about their citizens right to defend themselves. Anyway , enough said.

I was there last July and as far as I know umbrellas and wooden canes are still legal. I bought the sturdiest umbrella I could find and carried that everywhere I walked. Good for creating distance from a knife and if applied with Kali techniques, better than nothing for a counter attack.

Thought for the day: Even two of the of the greatest thinkers in the world knew the importance of being trained. So, being lazy and accepting being a sheep was rampart in their time also.

plato

spcartes

What types of packs do you all feel are important to have? For example emergency packs, EDC…etc.

McHenry County Deputy Jacob Keltner assigned to U.S. Marshal Violent FugitiveTask Force was fatally shot Thursday while attempting to serve an arrest warrant on a suspect wanted by two police agencies for burglary and Illinois Department of Corrections for a parole violation.

Thoughts and Prayers to his Wife, and two young children.
Godspeed Brother

Would you expand on the question? Not sure if you mean EDC that you carry with you everywhere or what you have in your vehicle emergency kit. Also, in the states the EDC carried in my vehicle is actually geared toward an active shooter. Listed is a partial list for vehicle carry:

Pistol, carbine.

8 full magazines.

Bright orange or green security vest.

An expandable baton.

Pepper spray.

A good, and sharp, folding knife.

A multi-tool.

$100.00 dollars in cash.

4 tourniquets.

An N95 mask, or a mask that, at a minimum, will effectively filter dust and other particulates (a particulate respirator).

Combat gauze. This is a trauma dressing impregnated with a hemostatic agent, meaning it will help stop uncontrolled bleeding more effectively than normal gauze.

A chest seal. This is an occlusive dressing used for penetrating chest wounds (also called “sucking chest wounds”). You simply place it over the hole in your chest to treat the resulting open pneumothorax being caused by said hole.

A high-quality flashlight

Water and food to last 48 to 72 hours. This may include a freeze-dried camping meal, iodine tablets for treating water, a camping stove and fuel, or a LifeStraw-type of device for water purification.

A small roll of duct tape.

A package of large zip ties.

At least 20 feet of parachute cord.

Batteries

Thank you for posting, Rest well, brother.

Thought for the day:

Men who feel injured by the world need to spend more time fighting back instead of wasting time wondering what the hell hit them.”~Michael Kurcina

For Batman730: be safe, brother.

dog

Thanks.

I meant all of them so, emergency in case of natural disasters at home, emergency kit in car, EDC, and any other type of pack/kit one should have.

Kits for natural disasters should be geared to the environment you live in. What you would have living on the coast of Florida would be different than the mountains of Wyoming. The items I feel are critical for the home, no matter where you live:

Weapons. Police and first responders will not be able to respond due to closed roads ( Hurricanes, tornadoes, flooding, downed power lines, avalanches, blizzards, etc) and other more serious problems.

A portable generator for an alternate source of power to the fridge, freezer, and coffee maker. I once went 7 days without power and making coffee only on a gas camp stove gets old. If you are not an electrician, have one come and put in a separate plug on your power box. This saves time and all you have to do is crank the generator and plug in, don’t do the “direct wiring method” unless you are an expert.

A reliable portable gas stove and spare gas cylinders.

A chainsaw, fuel, and chain bar oil.

A 16 to 20 foot aluminum ladder.

100 feet of nylon ski rope.

A good ax and sledge hammer.

A large medical kit and the appropriate training to use it.

If you have a fireplace, an adequate supply of cured wood.

If a family member has to take prescription medication to remain breathing, at least a 30 day supply.

A month’s supply of baby wipes, anti-bacterial gel, toilet paper, paper towels, paper plates, plastic spoons and knives.

Two week supply of bottled water and remember you need enough to flush the commodes. Average human consumption is around a half gallon a day (if in the desert, up it to a gallon or two)

Two week supply of food that doesn’t include Doritos or alcohol.

My everyday EDC that I carry on my body:

Handgun, one spare magazine, knife, very small flashlight, butane lighter.

Thought for the day: I have written about LtCol. Cooper before. He was the father of modern pistol fighting. If you are not familiar with his work, check him out. His blunt and honest approach is refreshing in this age of sensitivity.

cooper

Any Australians here?

I want to learn how to use a gun. How would an Australian learn to use a gun without joining the army.

tweet

Hint: check and see if IPSC has branch / club in one of your metro areas. New Zealand has almost as rigid gun rules as your country and I know they have private clubs there. more information:

http://www.ipsc.org/ipsc/

The Sunday Comic:

shark

The Sunday Comics:

TwoJarSlave,
Run if you see this guy in your bar, he is one deadly SOB.

I had a bunch of Ausie customers when I sold reloading supplies. They mostly shot the 303 British Enfield Cartridge and some 30-06. Almost none of them ordered pistol cartridge supplies (no pistols for the average ozzies).

There are ranges and gun shops. Call up a range and see if you can rent a gun or take a lesson.

I tried that gun disarming technique for 2 attackers but it didn’t work… they didn’t attack me right!